ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #991 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Do you guys think Ward was the only agent questioned about being Hydra? They made it seem as if he was the only one but that doesn't mean they all weren't. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't show everyone being asked but sometimes there are different perspectives that I haven't considered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Good episode. Sorry to see Patton Oswald go out right when he figured out Ward was a sleeper. At least they didn't kill him off in 'Justified'. And, of course....

AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker! Say it with me now! Ah, what fun. biggrin.gif

As a Whedon freak I was thrilled to see Amy. Pity they gave her such a generic role though. Can only hope there is more to the character than what was shown in this episode. Otherwise its a sad waste of her talent.

Except for that I loved this episode. I'm wondering if we are going to find out who or what Skye is when her and Ward go head to head. That could raise the show to a whole new level.

And just what is May up to?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #993 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got the sense that the series of follow-up questions that included "Are you in Hydra?" were only asked to Ward because his answer to the primary question (something like "SHIELD is now labeled as a terrorist organization, so why are you here?") triggered a negative response in the lie detector.
dnoonie likes this.
post #994 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

As a Whedon freak I was thrilled to see Amy. Pity they gave her such a generic role though. Can only hope there is more to the character than what was shown in this episode. Otherwise its a sad waste of her talent.

Except for that I loved this episode. I'm wondering if we are going to find out who or what Skye is when her and Ward go head to head. That could raise the show to a whole new level.

And just what is May up to?

You beat me to it. Any episode of the show that includes another member of the Joss Whedon Stock Company is a good episode, it seems to me. Amy Acker can do no wrong! Not only is she adorable, she has a lot of range, as her performances as the charming but lethal Root on Person of Interest have demonstrated.

Really liked this week's episode but really hated to see the always excellent Patton Oswalt's character die at the hands of the murderous Ward. It's going to be really interesting to see how Skye handles her predicament. I would bet the house that Skye will somehow thwart Hydra from obtaining the data on her encrypted, booby trapped drive. She is one smart, resourceful girl. By the way, Chloe Bennett, who plays Skye, really is just a "Girl." She just turned 22.
post #995 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

I got the sense that the series of follow-up questions that included "Are you in Hydra?" were only asked to Ward because his answer to the primary question (something like "SHIELD is now labeled as a terrorist organization, so why are you here?") triggered a negative response in the lie detector.

I agree.
Also Amy ...yum
post #996 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Really liked this week's episode but really hated to see the always excellent Patton Oswalt's character die at the hands of the murderous Ward. It's going to be really interesting to see how Skye handles her predicament. I would bet the house that Skye will somehow thwart Hydra from obtaining the data on her encrypted, booby trapped drive. She is one smart, resourceful girl. By the way, Chloe Bennett, who plays Skye, really is just a "Girl." She just turned 22.

Yeah, I was hoping Patton would turn out to be like his Justified constable: A total doofas that turns out to be someone not to mess with.smile.gif

And Chloe was both beautiful and capable in her scenes with Ward. I was impressed with both her looks and acting talent in this episode.
dnoonie likes this.

post #997 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so the bulk of the team has returned to find that The Bus is gone. Coulson doesn't know that May left on her own so after finding everyone gone, he'll initially assume that May, Ward and Skye are all together. However, he will surely question why they left without leaving word. I would also think the expectation would be that (Patton Oswalt's character, can't recall name) is under orders to never leave his post for any reason without Fury's authorization so investigating his whereabouts will ensue. The big question is was Skye able to leave a clue behind? It wouldn't be able to tell anything more than what she knows about Ward and possibly that May left but nothing about where she and Ward are headed or why. However, her hack into the NSA satellite might still be live and reveal further clues. Agent May on her own and seemingly seeking out Agent Hill is intriguing considering her relationship with Coulson. We'll see how it all plays out.
post #998 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
And this is the episode where they nailed the door shut on my crazy theory. I never believed in it, but it was fun while it lasted... Bye bye crazy theory...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #999 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I've been trying to formulate my opinion on the last couple of shows.

I really really want to like this show mainly because of the Joss Wedon connection but I'm getting disappointed.

I'm finding there is some bad storytelling including extended exposition, cartoonish characters, and actions that seem only to advance the plot rather than make sense from a character perspective.

1. Coulson: I am not buying his strange anger especially towards May. Geez, they are spies. The fact that someone is spying on him is going to freak him out? Would be hard to do your job if that was the case -- unless the meltdown is ala Gene Hackman in The Conversation. The acting is a little odd too. He is basically just raising his voice without much else. You have Hydra all over the place and you are in a supposedly secret place and yet you are doing nothing to make it secure. Also, if Coulson is really bothered by May, wouldn't that tell him that he might not be able to trust anyone? I get the "have to save my girlfriend" business but taking almost your entire team away in such a fragile situation seems rash.

2. Garrett: He is basically become a smirking stereotypical bad guy. Can't wait for the bwahahaha.

3. Ward/Hand etc. As I said before, that whole thing didn't fly. Ward was way too anxious to go with Garrett. Why would anyone let him go or not be suspicious? Why would Hand suddenly ask Ward to shoot Garrett? All to convenient.

4. Fitz/Simmons: Too much distracting things given all the crap that's going on. Fitz is going to fall in love now? I liked it better when he started crying.

5. Patton Oswald: The whole lie detector thing was a joke though I really liked some of the questions: What's the difference between an egg and a rock? etc

I'm just not feeling it. Seems like it has to go on a path and everything/everyone is being forced there.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1000 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just watched this episode and loved it, the quality of the show has dramatically increased over the past 4 episodes. Can't wait for next week to see how Hydra is outwitted by Chloe. Is Koenig really dead? Isn't he a recurring fixture in the Marvel Universe?
post #1001 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
And nobody addressing the "reveal" of the other Garret protege being a grandson of an original Howling Commando? Almost has to be a reveal that he is Fury's grandson, no? Unless they are planning to explain further about this universe's version of the Howling Commandos.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1002 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

And nobody addressing the "reveal" of the other Garret protege being a grandson of an original Howling Commando? Almost has to be a reveal that he is Fury's grandson, no? Unless they are planning to explain further about this universe's version of the Howling Commandos.

You need to see Captain America. The group he lead in WW2 were known as the Howling Commandos.
post #1003 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hey, guys, is this show any good? I'm a big fan of the films in the Avengers Universe. I decided to sit out the initial airing because I don't watch too many network series anymore, mostly because cable has spoiled me, but also because network tends to ax a show just as it's getting good. Does this show live up to the films?

post #1004 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

Hey, guys, is this show any good? I'm a big fan of the films in the Avengers Universe. I decided to sit out the initial airing because I don't watch too many network series anymore, mostly because cable has spoiled me, but also because network tends to ax a show just as it's getting good. Does this show live up to the films?

Some of the films aren't that good. I'd say this show is trying to find itself and it could be good or not. They also had to deal with the fact that The Winter Soldier blew up the SHIELD universe. I'd say the show has been pretty uneven. I'm sticking with it as I am a big Whedon fan though I know that Joss Whedon is probably not having much to say about this show.

post #1005 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Does this show live up to the films?

The first Iron Man and the Avengers? NO! Not even in the same "universe". Some of the other films that were OK? Sure, certain episodes do. It has picked up recently because of the tie in to Cap 2. The first half of the season was OK at best.
post #1006 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's all relative IMO. I would not say the show is as good as the movies but having said that I don't necessarily think that's a fair comparison either. If you're expecting the Marvel "movie experience" I would say you might be disappointed. However, if you're a Marvel comic fan or enthusiast or if from watching the movies you have generated a deeper curiosity or interest in SHIELD then perhaps you'll find it entertaining. Despite Marvel's name being attached to it or even Whedon for that matter, it's a television production, which means it's not quite as glossy or sexy due to a much lower budget. That's not to say it's done cheaply by any means I'm just setting the expectation for it being a television show.
post #1007 of 1510 Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The bit with the penny was too obvious. The idea is to put something there that no one else will notice, but that YOU will know has moved or changed. Anyone would have noticed it fall and known to put it back.

What's in the box? Hmmm...
dnoonie likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1008 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

At the risk of angering some, the show was just generic junk at the outset...more like an 80s action TV show but much younger. However, it did do a turnaround when Bill Paxton came on and has greatly improved story-wise. If you want to start at all, you should probably start there.

post #1009 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks for the replies. The vibe I'm getting here is that I don't necessarily need to rush to see it. LOL I've purchased a few shows on Blu-ray that I still haven't got around to watching, so maybe I'll just check this out on Blu-ray as well, once it hits the right price.

post #1010 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Yeah we also had the preview here in Texas, El Paso, perhaps some local stations had to run commercials or something else.

Liked the episode, poor guy though...

Nice watching Amy Acker doing something else, in the same night as P.O.I..

They used Bruce Banner technology, at least he's there somewhere

Yeah, they at least acknowledge and have acknowledged all the members from the movie Avengers. Shame they don't bring in more and stop this silly no mutant thing they are stuck with.

post #1011 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Yeah, they at least acknowledge and have acknowledged all the members from the movie Avengers. Shame they don't bring in more and stop this silly no mutant thing they are stuck with.

I personally like that they are not including any of the Avengers and going with other characters and storylines. It's an AoS show not a superhero show so to speak. Thinking back, the ideal way that this show could have been kicked off was when they found Thor's hammer. I realize the popularity wasn't there yet but as a story concept that would have been a perfect introduction. No supes really. Just the investigation part of things and the tie ins to future villains and references to existing (or future) supes. That's the way to go.
post #1012 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

It's a licensing issue. Fox holds the rights to the term "mutants" in the Marvel cinematic universe.
post #1013 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Bringing in mutants would probably be seen as a try to tie this universe in with the X-Men universe, which they can't do because Marvel doesn't own the movie/TV rights to them.
post #1014 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

It's a licensing issue. Fox holds the rights to the term "mutants" in the Marvel cinematic universe.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Apparently there is some mutant loophole. The next Avengers movie is going to have some mutants in it but not X-Men and they have past experience with the Avengers: The Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver which was the post-credit teaser in The Winter Soldier and has been reported for some time.

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-avengers-2-quicksilver-scarlet-witch-x-men/

post #1015 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

My take on the Marvel films is that none of them are bad and some are terrific, notably, Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. They are highly recommended if you, like me, enjoy loud, dumb, occassionally funny, movies.
post #1016 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

You need to see Captain America. The group he lead in WW2 were known as the Howling Commandos.

Thanks. I had seen Captain America, but didn't make the connection.
dnoonie likes this.
post #1017 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

At the risk of angering some, the show was just generic junk at the outset...more like an 80s action TV show but much younger. However, it did do a turnaround when Bill Paxton came on and has greatly improved story-wise. If you want to start at all, you should probably start there.

Totally agree. I think the show was basically on hold until WS came out and was doing "monster of the week" episodes until then. Its still not great, as Mr. Zero pointed out.in his post. Can't really disagree with any of the flaws he mentions, and it still has roll your eyes moments. But AoS has made an amazing turnaround and the potential is there to become great. And it is a Whedon show-just not Joss.
dnoonie likes this.

post #1018 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

That is why they called it the age of enlightening in the new cap America movie. They are not going to use the word mutant but they are now going to include mutants in their upcoming movies (Marvel movies).

post #1019 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I personally like that they are not including any of the Avengers and going with other characters and storylines. It's an AoS show not a superhero show so to speak. Thinking back, the ideal way that this show could have been kicked off was when they found Thor's hammer. I realize the popularity wasn't there yet but as a story concept that would have been a perfect introduction. No supes really. Just the investigation part of things and the tie ins to future villains and references to existing (or future) supes. That's the way to go.

For some reason for me I just don't feel they are doing other characters. Sure there is Deathlock, but what else have they really done that is a mainstream comic character? I can think of Sif, not a lot of others. There are probably a lot of smaller bit parts from the comics but none that people geek out about. They seem light on that end (except for obvious ones like Nic Fury).

post #1020 of 1510 Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, if they include more from the comics we're going to have to split this into two threads, readers and nonreaders. And we all know how well that works out.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page