ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #91 of 1732 Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Since they didn't tie the Corvette down, I'm afraid the C-17 would've crashed on take off when it tried to roll out the tail.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like Skye, Agent Coulson,Agent Melinda May and Mike Peterson. The twins was sometimes annoying and Ward reminds me off Joey of Jersey Shore. It was cool and I will watch a few more episodes but they have to fix the twins
post #93 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Since they didn't tie the Corvette down, I'm afraid the C-17 would've crashed on take off when it tried to roll out the tail.

Nah ... maybe if it were an A1M1 ... The Corvette is basically a mosquito there. smile.gif

Edit: ABID (Adult Beverage Induced Dyslexia) ... meant M1A1, of course. wink.gif
post #94 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
...Watched it. I like it.

thread closed
post #95 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Count me as unimpressed as well. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, setting a show in a superhero universe without involving any actual superheros - just referencing them now and again - is perplexing. I get that the studio is just trying to cash in on the phenominal success of 'The Avengers' movie franchise. But this just feels like the "minor leagues" - the TV version of AA ball. I like Clark Gregg as much as the next Avengers fan, but the rest of the cast is straight out of spy shows central casting. There were a couple of cases of witty dialog, but not enough to set it apart. My wife checked out about 15 minutes in, and I'm afraid I might be right behind her. Disappointing.

OTOH, the CW's 'Arrow' is one of my guilty pleasures, and I'm looking forward to their introduction of the Flash this season. Call me crazy, but I like shows set in a superhero universe to feature, you know, actual superheros. I might keep this series on the DVR and only watch one when and if someone like Robert Downey Jr. or Sam Jackson makes a cameo. Or I might flush it altogether.

Why can't they just buy Fillian out of his 'Castle' contract and do another season of 'Firefly'? Joss could probably do it with pocket change now. That show would so ton it in this TV landscape, and its reputation has only been burnished as the years go by with nothing remotely like it emerging from the TV production machine. Like the old saw goes: You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. frown.gif
post #96 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

Except it wasn't a C-17. It was a Stark Industries Super Awesome C-17XX with anti-gravity inertia vehicle cargo buffers.

Seriously, did you not spot the additional jet/repulsor engines on the tail? biggrin.gif

post #97 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It reminded me of the (now cancelled) series "Alphas" from Syfy.

All the characters seem to come from some generic script and casting department, with very little that hasn't been seen before.

I actually laughed at the flying Corvette at the end because the whole premise was so ridiculous and the set up was as subtle as Miley on a wrecking Ball. The ultra-cheesy CGI of it flying away was hilarious. tongue.gif
post #98 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Count me as unimpressed as well. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, setting a show in a superhero universe without involving any actual superheros - just referencing them now and again - is perplexing. I get that the studio is just trying to cash in on the phenominal success of 'The Avengers' movie franchise. But this just feels like the "minor leagues" - the TV version of AA ball.
So, you feel this show should have a comparable budget to The Avengers?eek.gif

Quote:
I like Clark Gregg as much as the next Avengers fan, but the rest of the cast is straight out of spy shows central casting.
And a comparable cast to The Avengers?eek.gif

Quote:
OTOH, the CW's 'Arrow' is one of my guilty pleasures. Call me crazy
OK.....you're crazy.tongue.gif

Quote:
Why can't they just buy Fillian out of his 'Castle' contract and do another season of 'Firefly'? Joss could probably do it with pocket change now. That show would so ton it in this TV landscape, and its reputation has only been burnished as the years go by with nothing remotely like it emerging from the TV production machine. Like the old saw goes: You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. frown.gif
Geez, you really do need to stay away from the absinthe.....biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I actually laughed at the flying Corvette at the end
Me too....
Besides, who wouldn't want a flying Vette?wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

It reminded me of the (now cancelled) series "Alphas" from Syfy.

All the characters seem to come from some generic script and casting department, with very little that hasn't been seen before.

I actually laughed at the flying Corvette at the end because the whole premise was so ridiculous and the set up was as subtle as Miley on a wrecking Ball. The ultra-cheesy CGI of it flying away was hilarious. tongue.gif
Well you obviously aren't familar with the Marvel Universe or SHEILD as they use flying cars all the time
post #100 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

So, you feel this show should have a comparable budget to The Avengers?eek.gif
And a comparable cast to The Avengers?eek.gif

No, it just appears to be an attempt to cash in on the coattails of those movies. Obviously TV shows have a budgetary limitation not faced by features. The show I mention next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink 
OK.....you're crazy.tongue.gif

...Arrow, is an example of how to work around that pretty well, IMO. It helps that the hero doesn't have any real super-powers of course. It makes no attempt to incorporate the rest of the DC Comics pantheon of super-powered heroes, with the exception of introducing the Flash. But he's been done on TV before, with pretty good results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink 
Geez, you really do need to stay away from the absinthe.....biggrin.gif

No, I stand by that statement. A new version of 'Firefly' would debut huge, the buzz would be deafening, and it would remain comfortably on the schedule were it revived now. For the reasons I cited above - people are starved for good sci-fi and have been given precious little of it since BSG finished its run.

I've never tried absinthe - isn't that what diabolical old-lace wearing ladies kill people with? wink.gif
post #101 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, it just appears to be an attempt to cash in on the coattails of those movies.
Absolutely.

Quote:
A new version of 'Firefly' would debut huge, the buzz would be deafening, and it would remain comfortably on the schedule were it revived now. For the reasons I cited above - people are starved for good sci-fi and have been given precious little of it since BSG finished its run.
I agree "people are starved for good sci-fi," but hasn't that always been the case?

I can't see any hope for a revival.
It failed as a series, it failed as a movie (at least in terms of making enough dough to continue).

Quote:
I've never tried absinthe - isn't that what diabolical old-lace wearing ladies kill people with? wink.gif
You're thinking arsenic.

This is absinthe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

post #102 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I'm a Browncoat. I'll never lose faith! biggrin.gif That was then, this is now, things change. Anyways, it's really an academic discussion since it's not likely to happen for a bunch of reasons, chief of which Joss doesn't seem to be interested. Nathan would do it in a heartbeat (he's even said he'd get out of his Castle contract somehow if it came to that).
post #103 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll never lose faith!
Since when did you become a man of faith?tongue.gif

Quote:
Nathan would do it in a heartbeat (he's even said he'd get out of his Castle contract somehow if it came to that).
Um, maybe he should discuss that with his wife first.wink.gif

post #104 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Since it keeps coming up...

I like Firefly. It was damn near perfect for what it was meant to be... but nobody watched... and it was cancelled... and it got a movie anyway... but nobody paid to see it...

IF Firefly came back to TV again, it would fail so miserably and so quickly that people who already don't understand why we like it so much would be pointing and laughing and saying "see, we told you so"...

Again.. I like Firefly... I was sad that it was so short of a series... but it isn't coming back, and it shouldn't come back unless we all want to be sad that it gets cancelled again, and even sooner than the first time.

It ain't happening.

Now... this new show... it wasn't what I expected in a Whedon-production... but then his TV almost never is what you expect... he changes gears and tries new things... and it usually takes a few episodes for characters and plots to settle in. Buffy took a bit, Dollhouse took a bit... sometimes it doesn't hit the ground running.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #105 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Right. But in this current age of "have to grab an audience in 3 eps or less", the first 3 eps of this need to be loaded with cameos.

Start off swingin' for the fence, tone down for a bit, then bring out the big guns again towards season's end. Anyway, I'm giving it next week to pull me in.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #106 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

Nah, that Corvette was made back when the emergency brake could actually stop a car...

But, in all seriousness, in a world where you can have little flying crime scene clue hunters, substances that can give you super strength and...oh yeah...flying classic Corvettes, I'm going to assume they have some sort of force field thingy that hold stuff in place in the cargo bay. That is, unless it's someone who doesn't belong there - they can be dumped out the back in a hard climb when the loading door is open.... wink.gif
post #107 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Nah, that Corvette was made back when the emergency brake could actually stop a car...

FYI, it was never an emergency brake, it has always been a parking brake. If you doubt this, just try stopping any vehicle, new or old, with the parking brake.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #108 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

FYI, it was never an emergency brake, it has always been a parking brake. If you doubt this, just try stopping any vehicle, new or old, with the parking brake.
Actually, my uncle had an old Ford truck that had it labeled "Emergency Brake" in the manual. It specifically stated, "in case of primary brake failure, the emergency brake can be used to stop the vehicle." It also warned you to use caution as it only activated the rear wheels and pulling too hard on the handle could lock the rear wheels.

Of course, this was back when it was a separate mechanical drum brake from the hydraulics. Now, it's the same system, just with no power assist.
post #109 of 1732 Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

But in this current age of "have to grab an audience in 3 eps or less", the first 3 eps of this need to be loaded with cameos.
Good point.
However, I would bet Disney will give their new wunderkind extra time to get it just right.wink.gif

FWIW, I wasn't put off by the opening episode at all.
I knew (and Whedon/Disney pointed this out many times) this is not The Avengers.
I was OK with that and am looking forward to the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I like Firefly. It was damn near perfect for what it was meant to be... but nobody watched... and it was cancelled... and it got a movie anyway... but nobody paid to see it...

IF Firefly came back to TV again, it would fail so miserably and so quickly that people who already don't understand why we like it so much would be pointing and laughing and saying "see, we told you so"...

Again.. I like Firefly... I was sad that it was so short of a series... but it isn't coming back, and it shouldn't come back unless we all want to be sad that it gets cancelled again, and even sooner than the first time.

It ain't happening.
Sir, please don't be logical.....biggrin.gif

post #110 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

It ain't happening.

Now... this new show... it wasn't what I expected in a Whedon-production... but then his TV almost never is what you expect... he changes gears and tries new things... and it usually takes a few episodes for characters and plots to settle in. Buffy took a bit, Dollhouse took a bit... sometimes it doesn't hit the ground running.

Agree (though I feel the main reason it failed was Fox). It won't come back as a series because everyone has moved on including Joss Whedon, the writers and all the actors. The best that could be hoped for would be a second movie.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #111 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Agree (though I feel the main reason it failed was Fox). It won't come back as a series because everyone has moved on including Joss Whedon, the writers and all the actors. The best that could be hoped for would be a second movie.

I think one of the problems with Serenity the movie was that Firefly was never intended to be one. It was a TV show, with TV show rhythms and cadences and act structures. Serenity was pretty good for a movie made from a cancelled TV show, which virtually never happens unless you count the X-Files films. But it wasn't that great of a stand-alone cimimatic experience that was required for anyone to buy a ticket who wasn't already familiar with the TV show. I think it made its money back, which was about all anyone could have hoped for.

But I will continue to tilt at that windmill and maintain that the show could flourish if all the stars in the 'verse aligned and it could somehow resume production. There's this thing called "buzz", you see, and few TV shows have ever had more of that once they left the air than Firefly. Hey, I'm a Browncoat. We may have lost the war, but we keep flying. smile.gif
post #112 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But I will continue to tilt at that windmill and maintain that the show could flourish if all the stars in the 'verse aligned and it could somehow resume production. There's this thing called "buzz", you see, and few TV shows have ever had more of that once they left the air than Firefly. Hey, I'm a Browncoat. We may have lost the war, but we keep flying. smile.gif
The very definition of "faith."wink.gif

post #113 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

I think one of the problems with Serenity the movie was that Firefly was never intended to be one. It was a TV show, with TV show rhythms and cadences and act structures. Serenity was pretty good for a movie made from a cancelled TV show, which virtually never happens unless you count the X-Files films. But it wasn't that great of a stand-alone cimimatic experience that was required for anyone to buy a ticket who wasn't already familiar with the TV show. I think it made its money back, which was about all anyone could have hoped for.

Maybe it could follow in the steps of Star Trek. Cancelled after 3 seasons, but movies and new series (not with the original characters) followed.biggrin.gif
post #114 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well, as a huge Joss fan boy who has been accused of being a Jpss hater by another fanboy because I dared to be critical of Dollhouse, I have to say...wait a minute, got to put on my flame suit(does anyone even say that anymore)?

I liked Angel a lot...Liked Firefly and Serenity...grew to love Dollhouse as it progressed, and was more than happy with the Avengers...

But for that mix of witty dialog with deep emotional intensity, where lighthearted fluff could suddenly turn black, and fill me with awe and wonder.... this is the closest he has come to Buffy. That was my gut reaction anyways, I can't offer any rational explaination for it. It was what I felt, not what I thought. I THOUGHT I wasn't going to enjoy this much and watched out of a sense of duty as much as anything. But by the first break critical thought went out the window and I was a 12 year old again clutching the latest Marvel comic. I have my doubts this show can sustain that feeling but for now...

Bottom line: when the show ended, I was surprised to find my eyes were wet...it was just so perfect...for me at least. I understand others reacting differently. Heck, I've long suspected Joss was writing just for me. smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #115 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

It was a TV show, with TV show rhythms and cadences and act structures. Serenity was pretty good for a movie made from a cancelled TV show, which virtually never happens unless you count the X-Files films. smile.gif

Well, there is the aforementioned Star Trek, Batman, Charlies' Angels, The Fugitive, Jackass, Maverick, Mission Impossible, The Mod Squad, The Monty Python movies, The Muppet Movies, Naked Gun, The Saint, Sex and the ******, The Transformers, Twilight Zone, The Untouchables, The Wild, Wild, West.....

Yep. Virtually none.
post #116 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Bottom line: when the show ended, I was surprised to find my eyes were wet...it was just so perfect...for me at least. I understand others reacting differently. Heck, I've long suspected Joss was writing just for me. smile.gif

Then you should probably be thanking Jed Whedon and his wife. They are the showrunners of SHIELD and did most of the writing on the pilot and upcoming episodes.

post #117 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Then you should probably be thanking Jed Whedon and his wife. They are the showrunners of SHIELD and did most of the writing on the pilot and upcoming episodes.

Oh I know. Joss did direct it though. I'm sure his involvement will lessen as the show goes on, but Jed and Marisa impressed me on Dollhouse so I have high hopes they can cover the loss. At least its still in the hands of the Whedon family smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #118 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I'm not much of a comics fan (and Stan Lee was recently even in the area) so I had low expectations but so far the pilot is the best pilot I've seen this season. Which is not hard to do given the dorks that run the networks and interfere with production. But I'll always give Joss Whedon a chance though I didn't care for his "Avengers" movie much (he may do better with the TV series environment than movies). Point #1, the show doesn't take itself seriously. This is one reason why Supernatural has lasted for so many seasons. Whedon threw some quirks into the whole super hero thang. After all super heroes don't exist so might as well have fun with the concept. Unfortunately I think that some producers believe the idea will help bolster self esteem among some people. Overall I enjoyed the pilot but what remains to be seen is how the other series writers and directors do. Maybe Whedon should try the Aaron Sorkin approach. Unfortunately given Whedon's luck and ABCs ratings it might only last 4 episodes.
post #119 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

Well, there is the aforementioned Star Trek, Batman, Charlies' Angels, The Fugitive, Jackass, Maverick, Mission Impossible, The Mod Squad, The Monty Python movies, The Muppet Movies, Naked Gun, The Saint, Sex and the ******, The Transformers, Twilight Zone, The Untouchables, The Wild, Wild, West.....

Yep. Virtually none.

It is "virtually" compared with the number of movies made every year. But the better question might be, how many of those were any good, or at least as good as the TV shows they were based on?
post #120 of 1732 Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As I suspected no Nick Fury, no Dugan, no Valentina, no Helicarrier, no Hydra, no Life Model Decoy, etc, etc. I am tempted to say it's like Avengers without the the Avengers but it's really just a stale police procedural formula except more silly. I am sure some will write they are saving that good stuff for a possible film but that dooms the TV show to being a ugly step-child.

If they were really serious about making the show awesome they would put Jim Steranko in charge.
Reply HDTV Programming