ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1171 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Well, now that I actually like her I think its time to break out the bikini again...couldn't hurt.

So say we all! smile.gif

Excelsior!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Well, now that I actually like her I think its time to break out the bikini again...couldn't hurt.

Will this picture she posted on Instagram do?

post #1173 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I've enjoyed it from the start, and refused to let you nattering nabobs of negativity bring me down. I've tried to remain postitive for my girlfriend Skye. tongue.gif

I've been called a lot of things. On this site even! But never a nabob. wink.gif
post #1174 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I've been called a lot of things. On this site even! But never a nabob. wink.gif

Well, then, Stop Nattering.
post #1175 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post

Well, then, Stop Nattering.

The whole elegant putdown, "nattering nabobs of negativism" was said by Spiro Agnew and directed at the press. It was actually written by Agnew's speechwriter, the wonderful William Safire. The Washington press corps was not amused but I think everybody else was. smile.gif
post #1176 of 1390 Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The whole elegant putdown, "nattering nabobs of negativism" was said by Spiro Agnew and directed at the press. It was actually written by Agnew's speechwriter, the wonderful William Safire. The Washington press corps was not amused but I think everybody else was. smile.gif
Those Washington types can be so creative with words. When something that Nixon's press secretary Ron Ziegler said turned out to be untrue, he said the statement was "inoperative" LOL.
post #1177 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM

Liked: 14
Was there an new episode tonight? My directv dr didn't record anything
post #1178 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Survived 6 months, yeah okay if you say so! None of this would have ever occurred if not for the dog? Bad writing this episode. Survivor never goes against the one that saved him! The bullet thru Garrett's neck and story is over. rolleyes.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #1179 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

Was there an new episode tonight? My directv dr didn't record anything
Yes
post #1180 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 190
She was in a bikini?

post #1181 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Sadly that the cast was in a hotel with a pool and they didn't strip down to a bikini, but I guess they didn't prepare for this unexpected "vacation"

Didn't care much about Ward's past, but I guess he can't kill someone he cares about right in the face and do it from a distance.

I hit the floor laughing at Coulson's "prepare for a large file transfer" line

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1182 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Sadly that the cast was in a hotel with a pool and they didn't strip down to a bikini, but I guess they didn't prepare for this unexpected "vacation"

Didn't care much about Ward's past, but I guess he can't kill someone he cares about right in the face and do it from a distance.

The dog was telling. Normally I dislike the killing of animals, esp. my namesakes or dogs, but this one shows us that Ward is definitely evil. The weakness Garrett accuses him of turns out not to be a reluctance to kill an innocent. He's fine with that, he just can't look them in the eye while doing it. Up to that moment we could believe he had been led astray by Garrett, but now we know he is unredeemable. He kills Fitz and Simmons in the same way, as if not actually seeing them die somehow relieves him of responsibility. Of course, it also allows them to be saved, which I'm almost sure they will be. smile.gif

Jeffrey Bell, who wrote this episode, wrote some pretty dark stuff in his Buffy-Angel days. Always liked his style, and I really like this episode. Having the dog seemingly survive only to be killed was brilliant, I thought.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1183 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 74
This dog had the cutest face, even beat "Bear" from P.O.I. in the "awe" department

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1184 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

The dog was telling. Normally I dislike the killing of animals, esp. my namesakes or dogs, but this one shows us that Ward is definitely evil. The weakness Garrett accuses him of turns out not to be a reluctance to kill an innocent. He's fine with that, he just can't look them in the eye while doing it. Up to that moment we could believe he had been led astray by Garrett, but now we know he is unredeemable. He kills Fitz and Simmons in the same way, as if not actually seeing them die somehow relieves him of responsibility. Of course, it also allows them to be saved, which I'm almost sure they will be. smile.gif

Jeffrey Bell, who wrote this episode, wrote some pretty dark stuff in his Buffy-Angel days. Always liked his style, and I really like this episode. Having the dog seemingly survive only to be killed was brilliant, I thought.

Still don't understand killing the dog? I guess it's supposed to shock us to his level of being evil If it's to not become attached, that will backfire against Garrett. If Ward kills a dog that easily he could/would kill Garrett eventually. The gateway to killing people is animals. I still say in reality he would have killed Garrett for leaving him and taken the dog and drove away. biggrin.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #1185 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

They didn't actually show "Buddy" being shot, or even lying dead afterward.  Only someone looking at him running away through magnification, and then the loud bang (back in current time), of Ward releasing the doors/pod...   Garrett did have some binos in his hand when he walked away (perhaps HYDRA binos have misdirection crosshairs... ).  Even if he was actually shot, Ward wasn't shown doing it himself, so it could have been Garrett.  They made it purposely ambiguous IMO...

ron

post #1186 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

They didn't actually show "Buddy" being shot, or even lying dead afterward.  Only someone looking at him running away through magnification, and then the loud bang (back in current time), of Ward releasing the doors/pod...   Garrett did have some binos in his hand when he walked away (perhaps HYDRA binos have misdirection crosshairs... ).  Even if he was actually shot, Ward wasn't shown doing it himself, so it could have been Garrett.  They made it purposely ambiguous IMO...

ron
That's the way I saw that scene as well, in fact, I assumed Garrett shot the dog because Ward hadn't.
post #1187 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's the way I saw that scene as well, in fact, I assumed Garrett shot the dog because Ward hadn't.

I assumed it was Ward because he's the one who used that rifle earlier in the episode (the hunting rifle that Garrett was carrying had a different scope).
post #1188 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I assumed it was Ward because he's the one who used that rifle earlier in the episode (the hunting rifle that Garrett was carrying had a different scope).
Okay, yes, that makes sense. And it also makes sense that Ward simply doesn't have the stones to kill someone he knows face to face. Like a coward, he does it from a distance. He shot the pistol in the air to chase the dog away so he could then kill it at long range with the rifle. At first I thought it was to save the dog and the lack of exposition on the act of the killing itself provided some ambiguity, but when all the facts are considered, yes, Ward killed the dog.

There's no way they could redeem this character now as there was nothing to redeem from the very beginning, Ward is simply an evil coward.
post #1189 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

There's no way they could redeem this character now as there was nothing to redeem from the very beginning, Ward is simply an evil coward.

Agreed. If he's that heartless, I still don't get the attachment to Garrett, though. The guy who dumped you in the wilderness? Who still treats you like crap? You "owe him everything" in Wards own words. I realize his brain is a twisted place, but that's odd.
post #1190 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, yes, that makes sense. And it also makes sense that Ward simply doesn't have the stones to kill someone he knows face to face. Like a coward, he does it from a distance. He shot the pistol in the air to chase the dog away so he could then kill it at long range with the rifle. At first I thought it was to save the dog and the lack of exposition on the act of the killing itself provided some ambiguity, but when all the facts are considered, yes, Ward killed the dog.

That's what I was saying.smile.gif Between telling us he set his parent's house on fire with his brother inside (he clearly was lying when he denied knowing he was) and killing the dog they removed any chance of seeing Ward as sympathetic. As far as not actually showing the dog being shot or dead, that's SOP for tv. And in some way I can't fully explain the way Ward did kill the dog was worse than if he had just executed it. It was more of a conscious act on his part rather than just following orders. He's just plain despicable! smile.gif

On another note, does anyone believe FitzSimmonds is/are actually dead?

I also liked May's speech to Skye. It would seem to set up her confrontation with Ward. Hope so, anyways.

And Skye's parents are "monsters"? Will we see a transformation of our little heartthrob in the finale?

Answers next week. Same Shield time...same Shield channel...

post #1191 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Anybody catch the line that Garrett told young Ward when he dropped him off in the woods "Speak up, son. I'm not a Mind Reader." Hah!

Groan-worthy moment when Tripp shot the zip line harpoon and it anchored in the celing tile. I'm sure that would have supported two adults sliding down 4 stories.
post #1192 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's what I was saying.smile.gif Between telling us he set his parent's house on fire with his brother inside (he clearly was lying when he denied knowing he was) and killing the dog they removed any chance of seeing Ward as sympathetic. As far as not actually showing the dog being shot or dead, that's SOP for tv. And in some way I can't fully explain the way Ward did kill the dog was worse than if he had just executed it. It was more of a conscious act on his part rather than just following orders. He's just plain despicable! smile.gif

On another note, does anyone believe FitzSimmonds is/are actually dead?

I also liked May's speech to Skye. It would seem to set up her confrontation with Ward. Hope so, anyways.

And Skye's parents are "monsters"? Will we see a transformation of our little heartthrob in the finale?

Answers next week. Same Shield time...same Shield channel...
I wouldn't care if they were, I think for next season they could replace those two with one character that does the science geek stuff, and of course Tripp to replace Ward.
post #1193 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

Agreed. If he's that heartless, I still don't get the attachment to Garrett, though. The guy who dumped you in the wilderness? Who still treats you like crap? You "owe him everything" in Wards own words. I realize his brain is a twisted place, but that's odd.
They could be setting Ward up to be next season's bad guy, Garrett(Paxton) will be killed off(too expensive to keep), maybe even by Ward himself, although for a few moments there I thought that's what Flowers was going to do.

The attachment probably comes as some sort of twisted "father-son" relationship, the guy that got him out of prison, taught him to be a man, blah, blah.
post #1194 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They could be setting Ward up to be next season's bad guy,

Gawd I hope not.

post #1195 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Fitz/Simmons are clearly not dead. Barely over the water, and in a sealed container. I'm sure it floats and we'll see them again shortly. That was the point with the dog - couldn't kill it, couldn't kill them either.
post #1196 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Fitz/Simmons are clearly not dead. Barely over the water, and in a sealed container. I'm sure it floats and we'll see them again shortly. That was the point with the dog - couldn't kill it, couldn't kill them either.

But he did kill the dog (read above). I was not expecting the plane to be flying a mere 20' above the water. Still, unless they strapped in that would unleash some serious G force damage on Fitz & Simmons...
post #1197 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

But he did kill the dog (read above). I was not expecting the plane to be flying a mere 20' above the water. Still, unless they strapped in that would unleash some serious G force damage on Fitz & Simmons...

Garrett said they would have to go in Harrier mode or something like that to fly low under radar to evade detection.
Flambe likes this.
post #1198 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But he did kill the dog (read above).

Nope, that scene was full of tropes. He's walked away from the campsite and only has the pistol, you never see who's looking through the scope, and you never even hear a gunshot. If they were trying to imply he did shoot, they would/should have done more with that scene.
post #1199 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Nope, that scene was full of tropes. He's walked away from the campsite and only has the pistol, you never see who's looking through the scope, and you never even hear a gunshot. If they were trying to imply he did shoot, they would/should have done more with that scene.

You could be right. I'm just so eager to see Ward (and the actor playing him) gone I might be doing some wishful thinking.

I will say he is more bearable as a bad guy though.

post #1200 of 1390 Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could be right. I'm just so eager to see Ward (and the actor playing him) gone I might be doing some wishful thinking.

I will say he is more bearable as a bad guy though.

I agree, and I wish they weren't doing anything to try and make him "softer." Just go full-blown evil with him.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page