ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1261 of 1404 Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Yes. I am glad it was not cancelled and am looking forward to Season 2 after watching the season finale.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 224
This show is headed straight towards the Batman level of camp. All we need now are the 'Biff! Pow! Zap!' graphics.
post #1263 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I thought the finale was GREAT! Sure it was silly but it was written, well acted, and had most of all fun. Garret 's final death was hilarious. The May Ward fight was violent and well choreographed and nailed the ending. Fitz Simmons was powerful. The LMD Koenig reveal was a huge surprise.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #1264 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

This show is headed straight towards the Batman level of camp. All we need now are the 'Biff! Pow! Zap!' graphics.
I have no problem with that. It's a comic.

I'm getting really tired of serialized "Dark Human Drama" myself.
John dhein likes this.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1265 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Use of spoiler tags would be considerate for those who DVR eps. Just sayin'.
post #1266 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

I thought the finale was GREAT! Sure it was silly but it was written, well acted, and had most of all fun. Garret 's final death was hilarious. The May Ward fight was violent and well choreographed and nailed the ending. Fitz Simmons was powerful. The LMD Koenig reveal was a huge surprise.

I agree. I enjoyed it thoroughly and a little bit of silliness really work for me it the show. The Ward/May fight was about the only thing that I didn't care for that much. While he was talking to Skye May should have just shot him. Instead they had a drawn out fistfight in a wood shop next to the computer lab? (I know they said there was construction..)
post #1267 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

Use of spoiler tags would be considerate for those who DVR eps. Just sayin'.

I would suggest not coming into a thread about an episode that already aired when you know all the posts are going to be about the current episode.

post #1268 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I agree. I enjoyed it thoroughly and a little bit of silliness really work for me it the show. The Ward/May fight was about the only thing that I didn't care for that much. While he was talking to Skye May should have just shot him. Instead they had a drawn out fistfight in a wood shop next to the computer lab? (I know they said there was construction..)

May was using nonlethal arsenal. I think the point of the fight is that she really really wanted to hurt Ward personally.
I enjoyed the finale and don't mind most of the humor. Garrett's fate was very much a Whedon type punchline.
Coulson was so much better playing off of Fury. Loved Fury's "anguish" over Garrett's misunderstanding of his speech.
Fitz should be dead.
The new guy is not being used enough and/or correctly. "Bringing the noise and the funk" is really a poor attempt at humor.
Glad to see Patton Oswald back. He could be a good running gag.
Really like Raina as a character. Other reviews intimate that this is human evolution without using the "m" word.
Left some good plot openings for next season.
I would give the series a B or B- for the year.
Hope the arc continues upwards.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1269 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Programming update (from a link found on Yahoo) for those who haven't seen....

Meanwhile, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. actually moves back one hour to 9:00 PM on Tuesdays, in order to make room for two new comedies at 8:00 PM and 8:30 PM, respectively: Selfie and Manhattan Love story. When Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. goes on winter hiatus, Marvel’s Agent Carter will replace it and serve as a bridge between the two halves of its season.
post #1270 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It wasn't great,imo, but good enough. A satisfying ending to the first season, tying up the plotlines while offering very interesting new ones for next year. Agree there were a lot of Whedon touches and I got my May-Ward fight. smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1271 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I would suggest not coming into a thread about an episode that already aired when you know all the posts are going to be about the current episode.

I understand the concept. I don't recall a post before that just totally nailed every plot point like that one did. My bad by looking a it, but it did seem to just expose all high points without the analysis most of the posts on here provide. Again, my bad.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1272 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

You and me both. Best line for me was "you did not tell me he was this crazy.".... "yeah he really stepped it up a notch"
I was sad to see Ward NOT die. really thought May broke his neck frown.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1273 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
That was an excellent finale!

Loved the Ward/May fight, and how she won with a nail gun..

I literally hit the floor laughing when Garrett met his final ending, like "I'm invinci..... boom!"

They could have killed Fitz here easily... but wasn't that container in very shallow waters? I didn't get why he was oxygen deprived that long and couldn't swim up, also Simmons needing to be in a pressure chamber, at max she ascended a few feet of water not enough to cause this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1274 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

That was an excellent finale!

Loved the Ward/May fight, and how she won with a nail gun..

I literally hit the floor laughing when Garrett met his final ending, like "I'm invinci..... boom!"

They could have killed Fitz here easily... but wasn't that container in very shallow waters? I didn't get why he was oxygen deprived that long and couldn't swim up, also Simmons needing to be in a pressure chamber, at max she ascended a few feet of water not enough to cause this.
Fitz had said that it was 90 feet.

My Maelstrom-18" EGG build.
post #1275 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Is the big gun that Fury gave Coulson the same one that Coulson tried to use on Loki in the Avengers?
post #1276 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Fitz had said that it was 90 feet.

Think he said it was "at least" 90 feet. They didn't give you any real sense of it.
Went back and looked and I am correct. He said "at least" 90 feet.

post #1277 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Overall an eventful finale. But I was surprised when Garret got into the chair as I thought they showed his body being taken out of the facility on a gurney. Then all of a sudden, there he was, in a room all by himself with the chair getting upgraded. WTF?
In the earlier fight scene, why didn't May keep that Asgard stick that gave her all the power? Didn't she think she'd be fighting enhanced enemies again?
Lastly, if Mike Peterson goes off on his own, how will he get the injections he needs for his implants?
post #1278 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
If I recall that Asgard stick makes you evil somehow or at least messes your mind, so long term usage is not encouraged..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1279 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Overall an eventful finale. But I was surprised when Garret got into the chair as I thought they showed his body being taken out of the facility on a gurney. Then all of a sudden, there he was, in a room all by himself with the chair getting upgraded. WTF?
In the earlier fight scene, why didn't May keep that Asgard stick that gave her all the power? Didn't she think she'd be fighting enhanced enemies again?
Lastly, if Mike Peterson goes off on his own, how will he get the injections he needs for his implants?

Rewatched the scene. It started with a quick look at the dead or unconscious body of the person taking him out with the "gurney" opened. You can fill in the rest.

post #1280 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The May Ward fight was violent and well choreographed and nailed the ending. .
I see what you did there.
JudgeSmails and psgcdn like this.
post #1281 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Scuba diver here.

90 feet is deeper than you might realize. The recreational diving limit (with full gear) is 130 feet. At depths around 90 your air doesn't last very long, it's cold, and standard protocol is to do deco stops on ascent.

It wasn't totally clear to me, but if Fitz made the ascent without any air at all, he could easily have swallowed quite a bit of water, especially if panic set in. The air in your lungs does expand as you swim toward the surface, but still, it's a ways to do with no air.

Simmons needed decompression because at 90 feet, if you are at that depth for a few hours (and it looks like they were), you will get the bends if you ascend without deco stops -- and after that much time there would need to be several and of reasonably significant length. Something you can't really do with little or no air. The no-deco-stop time limit at 90 feet is only something like 20 minutes.
psgcdn and hooked01 like this.
post #1282 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Great finale. Best moment of the season was Coulson vaporizing Garrett. When the armor started wrapping around Garrett--who I knew would not stay in that coffin--I started mentally flipping through Marvel villains he would become and figured a mask would be added so as not to have Paxton as a regular. But then BOOM! My jaw literally dropped and my hand went over my mouth for minutes. Had to rewind the subsequent scenes I was laughing so hard.

The banter between Fury and Coulson was classic. So good to see that, especially a return to Coulson's lighter side. Just like others have said, they departed from that for a while. Good to see they haven't forgotten it.

To answer the gun question, yes that was the one he shot in the Avengers. It's tech based on the armor guard from Thor.

So what story threads do we have hanging? Let's round them up.

1. Skye and Flowers have something in them that words like "evolution" and "monster" has been used. And how the world is going to change. I get the sense that a new kind of superhero class is coming, a la Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

2. Coulson is the new Director of the new SHIELD. He will be building the agency from the ground up.

3. Ward still alive and Fitz healthiness questionable.

4. Effects of the alien serum were seen in both Garrett and Coulson's alien schematic sketches.

I miss anything?
post #1283 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I thought it was a fun finale. The show had the right mix of comedy and action.
post #1284 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Don't know if they'll go there, but all the "evolution" talk could easily be setup for introducing the Inhumans.
post #1285 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

1. Skye and Flowers have something in them that words like "evolution" and "monster" has been used. And how the world is going to change. I get the sense that a new kind of superhero class is coming, a la Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

4. Effects of the alien serum were seen in both Garrett and Coulson's alien schematic sketches.

1.  Yep.  Mutants without saying it.

4.  And I bet we'll see those same schematics in Guardians of the Galaxy as an easter egg.  :)

Scott
post #1286 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Don't know if they'll go there, but all the "evolution" talk could easily be setup for introducing the Inhumans.

That could be as well.  I believe the Inhumans origin was the Kree or similar race experimenting on early humans.  I'm pretty sure I've seen rumors of a possible Inhumans movie in Phase 3 movies or maybe after.

Scott
post #1287 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I've finally gotten around to watching the season finale. I haven't read any of the previous posts yet to avoid spoilers but I wanted to give my impressions on the episode. First, Agent May grabbing a saw and taking it to Ward...yeah, that was awesome and edge of my seat fun. But when I didn't think it could get better, a nail gun to the foot....multiple times....followed by the knockout punch (which I thought was a kill shot at first)! I had two thoughts on how Ward was going to go down, one by the hands of Skye and the other by May. The May version pretty much was as expected except that he wasn't killed. The decision NOT to kill Ward IMO worked only the way they did it, which is by giving Coulson the dialogue to basically ask Ward to ponder, "What are you now without Garrett?" I thought that was powerful and awesome! I like how that wrapped up.

It's really amazing to me how a movie star (Samuel Jackson) just looks out of their element on television. I really don't know if it's my conditioning or their acting but it very rarely comes off as a normal looking/feeling thing. That being said, the last scene with Fury with Fury handing over the furture of SHIELD to Coulson, I thought was excellent. I really liked the value they placed on Coulson, the idea that SHIELD will be built on his ideals and the intrigue of Fury going forward. It was simply fun for me. The earlier scenes with Fury were kind of weird for me for some reason. It was that whole out of place movie star thing I think for the most part. I felt I needed more about how he found FitzSimmons and the humor exchange between he and Coulson during the fight with Garrett just seemed out of place. It kind of cheapened everything a little IMO.

Since I just mentioned FitzSimmons, not much to offer, I guess how the whole telling her how he felt thing goes, I thought that was well done. But I'm personally not looking forward to where that will potentially go next season. If it becomes a romance, it's just "ugh" for me, if it doesn't develop into one then it's still "ugh" because he will always have these longing eyes for her but can't have her kind of thing. Maybe they'll surprise us with how it's handled but I'm just not enthused. However, it sounds bad I know, but I actually like the "relief" of Fitz being "only alive" for now. By relief I mean a break from him and her being him and her. He may be out of commission for a while, he may not be normal, either way or both there is change involved, which I welcome.

Did I mention the nail gun to the foot? biggrin.gif

I'm just going to put it out there now...Skye is She-Hulk. Based on the "monster" comment from Flower Girl and the Hulk doll, I'll bite. They may be intentionally trying to throw us off but I'll still stick my neck out on that one.

I'm disappointed in Garrett getting killed off just because he was a quality casting IMO. That being said, I like how they let Deathlok off him, which I kind of figured would happen, just not that particular way. While I'm at it, I really like how they wrapped up Deathlok (and his son). Well done! The last part with Garrett showing he wasn't dead at first was kind of a put off for me but Coulson shooting him was classic Coulson funny to me. I guess the real purpose of that scene was to show the technology, which I'm sure will somehow play out in future episodes. Anyone else think of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith during that scene? Anyway, Garrett really got whacked out and I found myself really wondering what his story was. Where was it all going? I just felt like his motivations were never really explained but perhaps more will come out next season. It just seemed kind of weird to me in a very unsatisfying way.

I appreciate them trying to throw in the surprise of Agent Koenig "2.0" at the end. I'm on the fence with it at this point.

And of course the two end points, Flower Girl and the "I found your daughter" line was of course intriguing as well as Agent Coulson "doodling" on the wall.

I'm very satisfied with this episode and I'm definitely looking forward to next season. They left things overall in a very satisfying way and left enough things to ponder in fun torment for next season. There is a good connection I thought to the Marvel Universe with there being "other things" developing in conjunction with what Cap, Iron Man and Co are dealing with enabling this show to stand on its own. One last thing for now....when the team arrived at the new secret base, they showed them all standing there and I looked and thought....I really like this "new'ish" team with Tripp and less Fitz better than the first. It just works for me.
Zookster likes this.
post #1288 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Scuba diver here.

90 feet is deeper than you might realize. The recreational diving limit (with full gear) is 130 feet. At depths around 90 your air doesn't last very long, it's cold, and standard protocol is to do deco stops on ascent.

It wasn't totally clear to me, but if Fitz made the ascent without any air at all, he could easily have swallowed quite a bit of water, especially if panic set in. The air in your lungs does expand as you swim toward the surface, but still, it's a ways to do with no air.

Simmons needed decompression because at 90 feet, if you are at that depth for a few hours (and it looks like they were), you will get the bends if you ascend without deco stops -- and after that much time there would need to be several and of reasonably significant length. Something you can't really do with little or no air. The no-deco-stop time limit at 90 feet is only something like 20 minutes.

I may be the only one but this info is quite helpful for me as I really didn't think it was that big of deal at 90 feet. However, I didn't think about how long they were at that depth. Good post.
post #1289 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anytime!
post #1290 of 1404 Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

You and me both. Best line for me was "you did not tell me he was this crazy.".... "yeah he really stepped it up a notch"

Ok, I know what I said about the Coulson Fury humor seeming out of place but....this was definitely an exception. LOL funny for me literally!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page