ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #1441 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 261
We thought it was an excellent episode. Loved the guy with new ability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Ok, I just watched it again and must have been more tired than I thought the first time. I said the quality of the episode was just below that of the post Cap2 episodes, but now I think it's just as good.

First, among the bigger topics, I'm now also switching my opinion of Izzy (Lucy Lawless) dying. I think she's legitimately dead and to be no longer heard from again. Of course, I won't be surprised if that (Infinity Gem?) somehow restores her life or consciousness or something. I just got the strong sense that they were using her strong sci fi/comic notariety (and acting) to add credibility to the show. It also adds to the prominence of Shield agents as she is as believable as any IMO. And I also agree with the comment about the production team wanting to add edginess to the show, and in this case, brilliantly done.

Other points, I thought it was interesting that Tripp and Skye had the "twins" conversation and seem to not be familiar with Life Model Decoys.

Regarding Tripp, I really like this character so far. The personality and flair he brings to the whole really works. You get the feeling of great loyalty and duty from the guy. But at the same time he doesn't operate with blinders on. You also get the confidence that he can get the job done. I do hope they work in a few serious action sequences with his character over the course of the season though. He's a good face man for sure and they've established his weapons knowledge but they need to demonstrate his physical abilities a bit more IMO.

Skye has certainly leaned down and looks a lot more fit and is more serious. It makes total sense that she would be a lot more hardened now after both Ward and the collapse of Shield. But she still portrays this newness to it all trying to come to terms with it all. This is a good thing to gradually build her character. I still think Captain Marvel is in her future though. Last note, during her interview with Ward, you can tell she was clearly drawing from the styles and personalities of May and Romanoff. From and acting standpoint it makes send as those are the only two reference points for the most part. But it also lends itself to a consistency in Shield training and the resulting product (even though there isn't really a Shield any longer). Maybe I'm projecting a lot into that but I did get that feel.

The General Talbot storyline was good, he does a great job with the character btw, and I like the prospect of the ongoing "chase" with him. Makes me think of The A-Team back in the day, lol.

While there was some Coulson intrigue with his new director role with a touch of his old self "flying coach but scoring an exit row", I found it refreshing that the episode wasn't "Coulson heavy".

The Ward thing, is it just me or is anyone else just getting tired of his character? I get his "usefulness" with information and the drama added with Skye. But I almost feel like if they never had him on the show again I wouldn't miss him. Weird. Even with his apparent knowledge of Skye's father, my interest was more about what's her story and not so much caring about Ward knowing or how he knows or how sincere he may or may not be. Maybe it's just me.

Oh, about how long after season 1 and the joke about long enough for Ward to grow a beard. General Talbot said he had been chasing them for an entire winter so I guess we can assume 3-4 month timeframe.

Lastly, I thought the Agent Carter opening was a brilliant move in concept as well as demonstration. You got to see some of what will be going on along with the personalities involved. There is enough there to make me interested to tune in.

Strong episode IMO.
bpeacock22 and dnoonie like this.
post #1443 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Life Model Decoys? infinity gems?

Is anyone else but me watching this show without a deep frame of reference to comic book history?

Episode was ok. Wish they had provided a brief recap at the beginning. I had forgotten some of where they left off. It felt a little disorienting, like I was watching a different show.

post #1444 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Is anyone else but me watching this show without a deep frame of reference to comic book history?
I don't read the comics, never have. I use Wikipedia, and let people who did all the hard work for me summarize the Marvel universe.
mike1812 and dnoonie like this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1445 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
Lastly, I thought the Agent Carter opening was a brilliant move in concept as well as demonstration.
If that's what the Agent Carter show is going to be about, I think I may skip it. I'm getting really tired of everything being about Nazis. I can't decide if having a show with faux octopus Nazis is better or worse than having one with generic Nazis, but I'm done with Nazis nonetheless.
post #1446 of 1732 Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What comics?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1447 of 1732 Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I am.

If that's what the Agent Carter show is going to be about, I think I may skip it. I'm getting really tired of everything being about Nazis. I can't decide if having a show with faux octopus Nazis is better or worse than having one with generic Nazis, but I'm done with Nazis nonetheless.
From what I understand, the Agent Carter series is set just post-WWII, when the SSR is being more fully developed. I think you'll see references to Nazis, but not so much a Nazi focus, but more post-war Hydra, secret weapons, etc. However, as a major WWII buff, I'm all in for anything in that time period, Nazis or not.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #1448 of 1732 Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 138
There were still a lot of Nazi's, mostly Schutzstaffel, that were heading for the hills. There are many hills in Argentina, and Paraguay.
post #1449 of 1732 Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
There were still a lot of Nazi's, mostly Schutzstaffel, that were heading for the hills. There are many hills in Argentina, and Paraguay.

When my Brother-In-Law was single and living in Boston, he was renting the basement from some old fellow and he had a suspicion that the landlord was a former Nazi officer in hiding.
post #1450 of 1732 Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Two questions regarding central and south America. Accordions and blue eyes were there prior to WWII?
post #1451 of 1732 Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
I don't read the comics, never have. I use Wikipedia, and let people who did all the hard work for me summarize the Marvel universe.
I to have not read the comics. There are many good wiki's out there to glean good information from. Some of them are based on the comics and some are based on the cinema universe. Mostly I use my favorite search engine rather than going directly to a wiki, then I pick and choose which wiki's to check out.

Cheers!
post #1452 of 1732 Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
When my Brother-In-Law was single and living in Boston, he was renting the basement from some old fellow and he had a suspicion that the landlord was a former Nazi officer in hiding.
I bet your brother-in-law never took a shower.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1453 of 1732 Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I to have not read the comics. There are many good wiki's out there to glean good information from. Some of them are based on the comics and some are based on the cinema universe. Mostly I use my favorite search engine rather than going directly to a wiki, then I pick and choose which wiki's to check out.
Yep, there is more valuable information online and better tools to search for it than ever. Google (or insert search engine of choice) is your friend!
post #1454 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I know that the episode said over and over that Lawless' character is dead and gave her a burial at the end, but we didn't actually see her dead body in a casket or anything. According to comic book logic rules, she is still alive and will be trotted out again at a later date for a "shocking" twist.

I still fully expect her to return decked out in Deathlok robotics.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1455 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 47
More Nazis-- er, cowbell, please. The more, the better. Cap used to knock them all over like bowling pins....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #1456 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I know that the episode said over and over that Lawless' character is dead and gave her a burial at the end, but we didn't actually see her dead body in a casket or anything. According to comic book logic rules, she is still alive and will be trotted out again at a later date for a "shocking" twist.

I still fully expect her to return decked out in Deathlok robotics.
No we did not. However we saw her apneic, pulse-less body with fixed and dilated pupils staring into nowhere. That doesn't count for anything?
post #1457 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Not an overwhelmingly rememberable episode but still a good episode continuing on the build of the story. I agree that it's possible to see Lawless' character return in some fashion but frankly, I doubt it. I loved the "firepower" scene at the end. One gripe I do have is that they really need to work on enhancing the look of May's action scenes. While I think she pulls the character off quite well, most of her action scenes look very cheap. Her riding the motorcycle just looked bad and that kind of thing really cheapens her believability IMO. Whether it's how they produce it or how they direct her, I don't know but something needs to change.

And I'm guessing/assuming that was Skye's father?
post #1458 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And I'm guessing/assuming that was Skye's father?
IMDb credit listing for episode "Heavy Is the Head":

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shield.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	290505  

Josh Z

post #1459 of 1732 Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
No we did not. However we saw her apneic, pulse-less body with fixed and dilated pupils staring into nowhere. That doesn't count for anything?
Nope, not a thing. Comic book rules. She'll be back. Count on it.

Josh Z

post #1460 of 1732 Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IMDb credit listing for episode "Heavy Is the Head":

Google is our friend. Well done Josh!
post #1461 of 1732 Old 10-03-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not sure they will conquer something as big as the infinity gems in the show. But they are definitely building to the collection of them and probably a big showdown in Avengers 3 with Thanos (the guy at the end-credit scene of Avengers and briefly in Guardians of the Galaxy).

To date, we have 3, maybe 4, of 6 of them confirmed. The tesseract is the space gem. The aether (from Thor 2) is the reality gem. And the orb in GotG is the power gem. The unconfirmed gem is Loki's scepter as the mind gem. The two unaccounted for gems are soul and time. The expectation is that at least one of these two will be in the Dr. Strange movie.

The gems were formed as some kind of embodiment of the powers that created the Marvel universe. Put together, the wielder would have omnipotent power. In comics, Thanos wore a gauntlet (seen briefly in Odin's vault in the movies) that held them all. The thing about the movies is, they are changing the rules, colors, and nature of them. For instance, the gem in GotG was purple and could only affect organic matter. But in comics the power gem is red and it is the soul gem that is organically based. Also, I'm not sure I buy Loki's scepter being one because it would not be in Thanos' nature to give one up since he is trying to collect them.

/geek
post #1462 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
One gripe I do have is that they really need to work on enhancing the look of May's action scenes.
I agree, the action scenes in general need to be more consistent rather than sometimes good, sometimes cheap looking. And they need to have the same style, sometimes action scenes are well choreographed and sometimes they are poorly choreographed, and sometime they try to cover poorly choreographed scenes by fast cutting to different camera angles. Seems to be some inconsistency.

All in all I liked Ep 2, it had good forward momentum.

I'm wondering if Skye may want to meet her parents if she looses the mentor-ship of Coulson? Her relationship with May seems conflict oriented with neither really trusting the other.

What kind of Shield will Coulson build? Would it still be one that I'd want to disassociate with?

What about Lance? He seems to be a decent guy that's lost faith in humanity so he's just doing his best to look out for himself and the folks he trusts. The folks he trusted are dead now. Will he find folks to trust in Shield? Will that trust be betrayed?

I find straight talking people like Mac refreshing people to be around. Unfortunately most complex organizations are built around yes-men and not folks like Mac. I like him, I hope he survives, but he could very well commit political suicide with his straight talk.

What is Raina?
post #1463 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I suppose next week Simmons is on an undercover mission? It seems a little silly that they'd really make both her and Ward evil, and if she's on a mission, it would explain why everyone's complaining that she "abandoned" Fitz (since they don't have clearance to know about her mission).
post #1464 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is Raina?
Reina is the girl in the flowered dress. Formerly the scientist behind Centipede. Secretly worked for Garrett. She stole the Obelisk and brought it to Skye's father.

Josh Z

post #1465 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Reina is the girl in the flowered dress. Formerly the scientist behind Centipede. Secretly worked for Garrett. She stole the Obelisk and brought it to Skye's father.
Yes, sorry, I should have communicated better, she was able to touch the 084 that killed everyone so....What is she that she that she can touch it and not die?

Cheers
post #1466 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Yes, sorry, I should have communicated better, she was able to touch the 084 that killed everyone so....What is she that she that she can touch it and not die?

Cheers
Skye's sister?
post #1467 of 1732 Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Nobody knows. Skye's father said that it let her live, so maybe it only lets people with sufficiently dastardly plans survive the encounter.
Keenan likes this.
post #1468 of 1732 Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Whosoever holds this 084, if she be worthy...
mike1812, bpeacock22 and dnoonie like this.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #1469 of 1732 Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I thought this ep was one of the best ones yet. Sorry to see previews indicating a lighter (funny) ep coming up. I want them to keep with the heavy stuff and the special effects.
mike1812 likes this.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1470 of 1732 Old 10-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I agree, I thought this was a very good episode. I knew that Simmons wasn't in any real danger, but I wasn't sure how things would go down - and how about Skye turning into a real agent. Also, I wanted Fitz to kill Ward. I still consider him nonredeemable.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page