ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
John dhein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 'Sconsin
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Helen freaking Mirren.
John dhein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Helen freaking Mirren.
+1

Younger shot and older shot. They just naturally age well. No surgery needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1782087_243493132488965_1993551891_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	318194   Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2040108-0DF7737E00000578-500_224x612.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	318202  
Sharp1080 is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States, Earth
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
As I watched the latest episode, particularly the last quarter of it, I thought of Star Trek (The Original Series): in spite of alien technology, phasers, photon torpedoes, etc., some episodes come down to an old fashioned fist fight to settle irreconcilable differences.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Mark12547 is online now  
Old 10-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I think Ward simply goes with the flow. He is a "yes man", that's why he was leveraged so easy by Garret and seduced so easily by Lorelei. Right now he's just going with the flow and as a soon as someone else is in control he'll go along with them too, maybe Raina's next.

Cheers

Last edited by dnoonie; 10-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.
dnoonie is online now  
Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Helen freaking Mirren.
Heather Locklear seems to be aging very well.
rebkell is online now  
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vipfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Catching up.. Zzzzzzzz...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Vipfreak is offline  
Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
psgcdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prov. of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
The fight scene between the Mays was pretty spectacular. Especially May's coup de grace back twisting head slam.

Loved how it ended, but Jack Reacher would say that fight lasted way too long. Anything over a minute is huge.

psgcdn is offline  
Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 107
All I can say is that this season is pretty good, this is more of what I expect out of a Whedon show. His shows seem to always start off pretty sluggish, like Dollhouse, that show was just terrible and boring the first season, then the second was a gem. SHIELD IMO is just getting better and I've enjoyed all the shows this year. He always has those kick ass females that is for sure. I liked the addition of Bobbi Morse(Adrianne Palicki) tonight.
rebkell is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vipfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Can't tell if this show instantly just got awesome or if Adrianne Palicki. LOL

And Sky's dad. LMAO!

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Last edited by Vipfreak; 10-22-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Vipfreak is offline  
Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I like the chemistry and banter that the new agents bring. Much more fun than the originals. Great episode. And Bobbi Morse as the ex-wife from hell. Classic!
hooked01 is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
He always has those kick ass females that is for sure. I liked the addition of Bobbi Morse(Adrianne Palicki) tonight.
My first thought when Bobbi revealed herself to Simmons and fought off those guards was SHIELD got their "Xena" after all. lol
Great addition to the team! I hope she sticks around and isn't just cameo/cannon fodder like Lucy Lawless's character was.

Also reading that interview on the previous page of posts, I hope this show doesn't have to compromise itself creatively too much as it writes around or in anticipation of the next big Marvel movie(s). Though I enjoy the tie-ins, I'd rather Joss and his team be given freer rein to do their "thang."
Zookster is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Sorry if this was talked about already but the big guy that is new this season that is a good mechanic, are they making him out to be Cable or something? Sure looks/acts like him.

WilliamR is offline  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
^ I think Cable would fall under the X-Men/mutant umbrella, and not available for use in non Fox owned productions...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,950
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Though I enjoy the tie-ins, I'd rather Joss and his team be given freer rein to do their "thang."
Joss Whedon is focused on Age of Ultron right now. I doubt he has any involvement with Agents of SHIELD at this point.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
jamawass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One of the best episodes of the series

Just finished watching DVR'd episode and definitely my best episode of the entire series. The scene between Raina and Coulson left me speechless. Then Simmons' extraction, wow! Plus the intrigue of Skye's dad, definitely left me wanting for more.
jamawass is offline  
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
All I can say is that this season is pretty good, this is more of what I expect out of a Whedon show. His shows seem to always start off pretty sluggish, like Dollhouse, that show was just terrible and boring the first season, then the second was a gem. SHIELD IMO is just getting better and I've enjoyed all the shows this year. He always has those kick ass females that is for sure. I liked the addition of Bobbi Morse(Adrianne Palicki) tonight.
I agree but ....
Bobbi went through the brain washing machine and she let Sunil Bakshi live when she got chased out of the building. I'm not sure she's working for Hydra now.

Cheers
dnoonie is online now  
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Joss Whedon is focused on Age of Ultron right now. I doubt he has any involvement with Agents of SHIELD at this point.

Speaking of:

zeus33 is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Best episode of the season for us. This season they really tweaked things and we like the look and feel of things. Much much better then last season.

WilliamR is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
mike1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
My first thought when Bobbi revealed herself to Simmons and fought off those guards was SHIELD got their "Xena" after all. lol
Great addition to the team! I hope she sticks around and isn't just cameo/cannon fodder like Lucy Lawless's character was.
While perhaps not permanent, she is a recurring character and we'll eventually see her alter-ego.
mike1812 is online now  
Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In case you haven't heard, Hydra infiltrated Marvel and released the Avengers teaser early:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/23...ultron-trailer

Interested to see how they tie the show into movie events, since the season will probably end after the movie is released.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
In case you haven't heard, Hydra infiltrated Marvel and released the Avengers teaser early:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/23...ultron-trailer

Interested to see how they tie the show into movie events, since the season will probably end after the movie is released.

Posted that 12 hours prior. 3 posts above yours.
zeus33 is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Posted that 12 hours prior. 3 posts above yours.
Congratulations, you win the internet!

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CANNON-FODDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I agree but ....
Bobbi went through the brain washing machine and she let Sunil Bakshi live when she got chased out of the building. I'm not sure she's working for Hydra now.

Cheers
Did we see her go through the brain washing machine or was she just using the phrase as a threat to Simmons? I thought [they] directly implied that it took a lot of time and was only used if necessary when Whitehall was working on Agent 33 (Maya Stojan).

v/r,
C-F
CANNON-FODDER is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 131
This weeks episode was in fact excellent and all out heightened the intrigue. I feel the show has definitely found its legs and is on the ground running for sure. Just because I'm obsessed with where they are going with Skye's character, anyone pick up on the green light highlighting her fathers face during his "angry" conversation with Reina? It looked awfully, Hulkish, in hue if you ask me. A nod to a She-Hulk storyline? Of course, they did bring up the Skye's an alien idea too, which still could link back to Captain Marvel. But for some reason, that green light really stood out to me especially since he was angry during that scene. And later on, her father used the term "monster" to describe what Skye might think of him.

On another note...I was afraid the Ward storyline would eventually get to the "We can't trust him but we still need his help" storyline. At the moment that is a groan moment for me. What do you guys think?

And lastly, The Avengers AOU teaser trailer....speechless!
Closet Geek is online now  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 19,175
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Did we see her go through the brain washing machine or was she just using the phrase as a threat to Simmons? I thought [they] directly implied that it took a lot of time and was only used if necessary when Whitehall was working on Agent 33 (Maya Stojan).

C-F
She didn't go through the machine. Why would she? She came to Hydra as a willing recruit. And rose pretty high in the ranks rather quickly. She seemed a little too deux ex machina to me. When has Coulson had time to recruit her? They've been constantly on the run since SHIELD fell.

I didn't immediately recognize her as FNL's Adrianne Palicki until I read it here (but know I had seen her somewhere...). Man, she's really tall!
archiguy is online now  
Old 10-23-2014, 06:51 PM
RJO
Member
 
RJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Colorado Springs (Gleneagle)
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hate the idea that Ward is still around. After the way he was last season, I see no redeeming value. Need to terminate him in my opinion.
RJO is online now  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
dnoonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA area
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Did we see her go through the brain washing machine or was she just using the phrase as a threat to Simmons? I thought [they] directly implied that it took a lot of time and was only used if necessary when Whitehall was working on Agent 33 (Maya Stojan).

v/r,
C-F
Ahhhh. Yes thank you, Agent 33, my mistake.

Thanks again!
dnoonie is online now  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
On another note...I was afraid the Ward storyline would eventually get to the "We can't trust him but we still need his help" storyline. At the moment that is a groan moment for me. What do you guys think?
As soon as I saw the preview, I knew people here would be groaning that Ward was getting released from his cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO View Post
I hate the idea that Ward is still around. After the way he was last season, I see no redeeming value. Need to terminate him in my opinion.
Wait, are they allowed to do that? Is the whole, "The good guys can't kill people," trope not applicable in this comic universe?
Aleron Ives is offline  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CANNON-FODDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Didn't Skye kill Donnie Gill? While keeping her pulse rate down...

v/r,
C-F
CANNON-FODDER is offline  
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mike1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post
This weeks episode was in fact excellent and all out heightened the intrigue. I feel the show has definitely found its legs and is on the ground running for sure. Just because I'm obsessed with where they are going with Skye's character, anyone pick up on the green light highlighting her fathers face during his "angry" conversation with Reina? It looked awfully, Hulkish, in hue if you ask me. A nod to a She-Hulk storyline? Of course, they did bring up the Skye's an alien idea too, which still could link back to Captain Marvel. But for some reason, that green light really stood out to me especially since he was angry during that scene. And later on, her father used the term "monster" to describe what Skye might think of him.
You know, I realize it's probably just a coincidence, but the change in Skye's hairstyle this season is very Jennifer Walters-like (She-hulk).
mike1812 is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off