ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1561 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I keep expecting this show to go somewhere (anywhere). But it just seems to grow ever more into a placeholder for marvel-verse movie teasers and keeping people conscious of the need/ to endure the wait till 2020 to see the payoff.

Add in that Skye with bangs looks EVEN MORE like Van Wilder. Add in the unbearable Fitz-Simmons nonsense.
Ugh. Masochism is a sad disease.

Quit failing to flip the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Is it just me, or does Marvel seem really insecure these days by plastering its name all over everything, just in case people don't know that SHIELD and The Avengers are Marvel properties, rather than DC properties? You don't see "DC presents DC's Arrow" or "DC's The Flash", or "DC's Gotham", but Marvel seems really desperate to let people know that Marvel makes TV shows and movies, too.
I would say it has to do, at least in part, to the fact that Marvel is actually a movie studio, like Paramount, Columbia, 20th Century Fox, etc. DC does not have that. They are all licensed out to other studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
I keep expecting this show to go somewhere (anywhere). But it just seems to grow ever more into a placeholder for marvel-verse movie teasers and keeping people conscious of the need/ to endure the wait till 2020 to see the payoff.
This is not aimed at you, more of a general rant that got triggered in me. I'm tired of the arguments that each show and each movie is just a set up for the next. This is the first time anyone has ever done such a connected cinematic universe. It's a new thing that a cynical audience doesn't know how to react to. The tie-ins make each individual thing part of something bigger--not just a set up--and each thing can stand alone. Sure, that means if someone just watches one thing, they are going to miss some nuances, easter eggs, and connections, but that doesn't mean they will enjoy it less. Crossovers are a known and accepted entity in comics, so why such scrutiny for the movies and shows?

The primary example I hear is how Captain America: The First Avenger was just "entirely a set up" for Avengers. I heartily disagree. The 1940s story and plot with Hydra and Red Skull was a contained story. And yes, they gave us pieces that make it fit into something bigger tying it to what would come. But that's what I love about what this studio is doing. I don't understand why this is something of contention to people who watch them. You get a few minutes of Nick Fury recruiting and a post-credit scene foreshadowing, and "OH! This whole movie was a marketing ploy to set up Avengers!" Bah.

Add that to the arguments of "why doesn't [stand alone hero in his movie] just call the Avengers" to solve the problem, and you really start to lose the enjoyment of this entertainment experience. Heroes have individual comic titles and then they sometimes come together. That's just the way it is. And that's to speak nothing about the reasons one _could_ justify why a team isn't assembled within the story. But never mind that. The fact is, sometimes they just don't. And that's good enough for me.

/rant
mike1812, John dhein and dnoonie like this.
post #1563 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Strong Agents of Shield episode last night. really like it. Let's see how things progress, too bad we have an extra week off before we get more episodes.
Until they got to the end and the obvious, completely telegraphed Ward escape happened. Really? That's the best you can do, make up some crap with his brother to free him again? Ugh.

Enjoyed the season so far btw, this show is much better now. But I'm sick of Ward and all the twists with him, just put him down.
Keenan likes this.
post #1564 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Until they got to the end and the obvious, completely telegraphed Ward escape happened. Really? That's the best you can do, make up some crap with his brother to free him again? Ugh.

Enjoyed the season so far btw, this show is much better now. But I'm sick of Ward and all the twists with him, just put him down.
Indeed, the camera lingering on the handcuffs as they put them on him and then the comment from Colson about not giving Ward an inch, they may as well just put up blank screen that said "Ward will now escape" and dispense with the whole inside the transport and fighting scene.
post #1565 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Personally, I'm getting tired of the "break your thumb to slide out of handcuffs" trick I've seen a million times on TV. Would that even work? Has anyone ever actually done that?
post #1566 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
Sure, that means if someone just watches one thing, they are going to miss some nuances, easter eggs, and connections, but that doesn't mean they will enjoy it less.
I for one am quite pleased with the balance they've struck. I haven't watched any of the movies, but I still enjoy watching SHIELD, and my enjoyment has doubled since they started the whole movie tie-in thing. Before that, I was ready to just stop watching, because the weekly villain plots were boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
But I'm sick of Ward and all the twists with him, just put him down.
I disagree. I'm happy that he's now free to be evil without being a sidekick or locked in a basement. I'd rather see him go down at the climax of his dastardly designs than just get shot in a holding cell.
post #1567 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Personally, I'm getting tired of the "break your thumb to slide out of handcuffs" trick I've seen a million times on TV. Would that even work? Has anyone ever actually done that?
And for an organization that has access to alien tech the best they could use for their uber-dangerous prisoner who was kept in a very special high tech cell was to use off the shelf handcuffs? It's either lazy writing or it's part of a SHIELD plan, but didn't he shoot one of the guards? If so, then it's just lazy writing to move the story forward, again, just a black screen with "Ward escapes now" would have worked just as well!
post #1568 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I guess they want to have some big showdown fight between Ward and May at some point during the season.

And Skye will probably be the one to put him down.

They need to put an end to the angst with Fitz and Simmons. Same thing with Skype and her pops.

I know people prefer the second half of S1 but I like in the beginning they were more happy go lucky boy and girls scouts, going to investigate weird cases. More like the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where it's a bunch of hipster Scooby Doo Gang

Not sure about the whole struggle with Hydra either. This seems like a plot from the later Buffy years. Wheadon needs to go back to his roots.
post #1569 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Indeed, the camera lingering on the handcuffs as they put them on him and then the comment from Colson about not giving Ward an inch, they may as well just put up blank screen that said "Ward will now escape" and dispense with the whole inside the transport and fighting scene.
Yeah I suppose, but the obviousness got a chuckle out of me so I thought it was okay. I also felt sorry for the folks they sent to collect Ward, they were set up by management to get killed, hummm, of course that never happens in real life.
post #1570 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I disagree. I'm happy that he's now free to be evil without being a sidekick or locked in a basement. I'd rather see him go down at the climax of his dastardly designs than just get shot in a holding cell.
Seems like he's been a follower all his life. Will he really become his own person? It might be interesting if he did but I won't bet on it.
post #1571 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Seems like he's been a follower all his life. Will he really become his own person? It might be interesting if he did but I won't bet on it.
At least he should have greater autonomy while working with his brother than while following Garrett around as he rants and raves about nothing.
post #1572 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
^They had to place ''Marvel's'' in front for The Avengers, in order to avoid issues with the BBC's old The Avengers, Steed & Emma Peel show.
And there was a recent cop drama named The Shield, so, there they go again.
My last visit to a theater was in 1989 so all my movie viewing is from TV or DVDs. I remember talk of a new movie named Marvel's The Avengers and I automatically thought it was a modern remake of the venerated 60's TV show. It wasn't until after the films release that realized my error.
post #1573 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
To further differentiate the film from Steed & Peel, it bears the full title of "Marvel Avengers Assemble" in England.
Spoiler!

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1574 of 1580 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I personally witnessed PD officers handcuff patients to our gurney or ride with them in the back of the ambulance handcuffed behind their back when they were acting a fool. Believe me when I tell you, they were on tight! They were even complaining the whole ride that the handcuffs were too tight. Ward would have had to break more than his thumb to escape.
post #1575 of 1580 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Like every other TV show, it doesn't follow the rules of the real world. Liberties are always taken when filming TV shows and movies.
post #1576 of 1580 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
^They had to place ''Marvel's'' in front for The Avengers, in order to avoid issues with the BBC's old The Avengers, Steed & Emma Peel show.
And there was a recent cop drama named The Shield, so, there they go again.
I really enjoyed that show when I was little.
gprace likes this.
post #1577 of 1580 Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I really enjoyed that show when I was little.
Steed and Emma Peel, one of my favorites when I was younger. Still watch DVDs of this show. Very tongue in cheek.
post #1578 of 1580 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I guess they weren't going to keep Ward around just to be cooped up in the prison while he and Skye play mind games with each other.

So he'll probably be dispatched by the end of the season, unless he takes charge of Hydra and becomes the permanent nemesis or something.

What have the ratings been like this season? Is it likely to be renewed? Guess ABC likes it for cross promoting the Marvel movies, though they really don't need that much promotion.
post #1579 of 1580 Old Today, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Steed and Emma Peel, one of my favorites when I was younger. Still watch DVDs of this show. Very tongue in cheek.

I remember Al Bundy liked Mrs. Peel because she kicked really high.
post #1580 of 1580 Old Today, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

What have the ratings been like this season? Is it likely to be renewed? Guess ABC likes it for cross promoting the Marvel movies, though they really don't need that much promotion.
Not as good as last year but not bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....L.D._episodes, and scroll about half way down.

More on raitings from Oct 29 2014
"On ABC, special The Great Halloween Fright Fight scored a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating, higher than what Selfie and the canceled Manhattan Love Story averaged in the hour last week. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. earned a 1.7, up 6 percent from last week's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating. Forever tied its series low with a 1.1, down 8 percent from last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating" from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ts-low/320555/

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” (9:00-10:00 p.m. – 4.5 million and 1.7/5 in AD18-49):
Surging from its lead-in (+55%) at 9:00 p.m. against the World Series, NBC’s “The Voice”-driven comedies and CBS’ “NCIS: New Orleans,” ABC’s “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” was up 13% from its week-ago Fast Affiliate Adult 18-49 number (1.7/5 vs. 1.5/4 - which adjusted up in the Nationals to a 1.6/4), equaling a best-since-premiere rating – since 9/23/14. In addition, despite facing the Fall Classic, “S.H.I.E.L.D.” spiked with Adults 18-34 (+30% - highest rating in 5 weeks) and Men 18-34 (+36% - tying a season high).From 9:00-10:00 p.m., “S.H.I.E.L.D.” beat NBC’s “The Voice”-fueled comedies (“Marry Me”/”About a Boy”) by 21% in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.4/4)and finished as the No. 1 series in its hour for the 3rd week in a row among Men 18-34. from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...series/320821/
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page