ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I stayed up past my bedtime to watch last night's episode to the end. Good stuff! I love Jaime Alexander, especially in "hides."

Two questions though:

1) If Asgard is always monitoring Midgard and intervening when intergalactic threats are afoot, how come they didn't rush to the aid during the attack on New York during the Avengers movie. It's been a while, so I don't remember some things that happened in the movie, but did Loki somehow disable the Bifrost?

2) When May told Skye to "Just focus," was that an example of forced uncommon English?
The bifrost was destroyed in the Thor movie. It was still destroyed at the time of the Avengers. When Thor appears Loki clearly asks how he got here and that the All Father must of used a lot of dark energy to bring Thor there, meaning they had no way to get them there except using other extreme ways since the bifrost was still down.
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thumbs up on Ep 12, really liked it.

The timing of the events was...ummm...timely. We've already seen different factions of Kree in Guardians of the Galaxy, glad this one was somewhat reasonable. I was wondering what the Kree experiments were all about and now I know.

I was expecting support for the Skye reveal from Colson, Fitz, I put May on the fence, I was expecting everyone else to say good riddance if Lady Sif wanted to take her, it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would but of course "discovery requires experimentation", Fitz provoked some truth telling in the last few minutes. The others that transformed have made it without being berserk, Skye has a chance here, it doesn't sound like being locked up in an Azgard prison would produce anything but a berserker. The dark planet Svartalfheim from Thor the Dark World would make a great play pen for Skye to practice, wonder if something can be arranged.

And it looks like Lance may have pushed Mack and Bobbies time table up a bit, looking forward to the next ep.

Cheers,
Old 03-12-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
And it looks like Lance may have pushed Mack and Bobbies time table up a bit, looking forward to the next ep.

Cheers,

It looks like the writers heard all the confused chatter about whether Lucy Lawless' character really died in the car crash when they showed Lance being choked out. After he passed out, he was shown twice giving a muffled groan. I guess he's still alive.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It looks like the writers heard all the confused chatter about whether Lucy Lawless' character really died in the car crash when they showed Lance being choked out. After he passed out, he was shown twice giving a muffled groan. I guess he's still alive.
Well of course he is. They didn't need to show him groaning, but I guess I can see why they did. Mack & Bobbi aren't Hydra. They're not bad guys, just not believers in Coulson's plans. Mack would never kill Lance, and he's clearly a better fighter than he has heretofore let on.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watch this guys videos for Gotham too. I like how he explains the comic references in the shows. He does videos for a bunch of shows.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well of course he is. They didn't need to show him groaning, but I guess I can see why they did. Mack & Bobbi aren't Hydra. They're not bad guys, just not believers in Coulson's plans. Mack would never kill Lance, and he's clearly a better fighter than he has heretofore let on.

Well, at this point, we don't know who Mack and Bobbi are working for. Mack warned Bobbi that if she really cared for Lance, then she should drive him away.

I guess all this subterfuge is leading up to the Captain America: Civil War events.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Colson knows Mack can fight. He felt it first hand.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I love Jaime Alexander, especially in "hides."
She did great in this episode (Who You Really Are), not so great in Yes Men, but then it could have been more a writing and directing difference. Although she sells the Lady Sif character wonderfuly I always think she should look more athletic...now that I type that I've had a look at how she's drawn in the comics and she's drawn rather thin like Jaimie a lot of the time, so there you have it.

Cheers,
Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
She did great in this episode (Who You Really Are), not so great in Yes Men, but then it could have been more a writing and directing difference. Although she sells the Lady Sif character wonderfuly I always think she should look more athletic...now that I type that I've had a look at how she's drawn in the comics and she's drawn rather thin like Jaimie a lot of the time, so there you have it. Cheers,
I remember her from Kyle XY. I haven't been back to ABC Family since that show and The Middleman were cancelled.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 772
It's nice to finally get some payoff for Fitz's transformation this season: it makes perfect sense that he's the most supportive of Skye, as he knows full well what it feels like to have to figure out who he is after experiencing an event that makes him a different person. He could have gotten kicked off the team for being a liability, so it's appropriate that he wants to ensure that Skye gets the same chance that he did.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I had never watched Agents, despite having seen both Captain America films and all of the Iron Man and Avenger films. I watched the first episode on Netflix and then binged watched Season 1 and Season 2 (on demand) up to the current episode. This series is one of the biggest hoots that I've watched in quite a while. I love Clark Gregg's Coulson and all of the other characters. The writing is usually pretty good even as it's gotten weirder and wilder. It has some style and wit. I now can look forward to watching the rest of S2 on a weekly basis and to hitting this thread on a regular basis
bpeacock22, Turrican4D and dnoonie like this.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Welcome Cal! I've consistently enjoyed this series, especially once I made peace with the fact that it's yet another television superhero show without, well... superheros. It's how TV rolls.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Well, at this point, we don't know who Mack and Bobbi are working for. Mack warned Bobbi that if she really cared for Lance, then she should drive him away.

I guess all this subterfuge is leading up to the Captain America: Civil War events.
Will Shield even be around that long? That movie doesn't come out for over a year.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Welcome Cal! I've consistently enjoyed this series, especially once I made peace with the fact that it's yet another television superhero show without, well... superheros. It's how TV rolls.
Thanks archiguy. Even as I was watching episode 12 yesterday, I was clicking "record series" on the DVR. The last appearance of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury was again "disappearing" was laugh out loud funny at times. Jackson's delivery of the great throw away lines is almost without equal and I can't imagine that, at some point, Fury will not reappear. Adrianne Palicki has always been very attractive from her Friday Night Lights days and on but on this show she is downright gorgeous. I really like Chloe Bennet. Considering that she has really only been acting on TV since 2012, she does very well as Skye, especially since she carries so many of the story lines. Talk about a major career jump start! I've admired Clark Gregg for many years and it's nice to see him get a starring role in a hit series. It's similar to Lucy Liu finally getting a show (Elementary) worthy of her talent. I need to watch the Agent Carter episodes when I get a chance. I know that it got very good reviews and seems to serve as prequel to Agents. That's one thing that I like about all of the Marvel shows and movies. There are threads in each one that that links it to all of the others in a continuous and logical universe.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 745
In case anyone might be interested, with commercials and the preview removed but the catchup left in this latest episode clocks in at 40:42 mins, ABC is definitely pumping this show full of commercials, that runtime is even lower than the typical cable network.

And for those in my home market(San Francisco-KGO-Comcast) the resulting file size was 1.75 GB with a video bitrate of 5652 Kbps. If mrvideo is reading this thread I would love to hear what data size he sees from the network, I'm curious to see how badly my local station and or Comcast are mangling this content.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
In case anyone might be interested, with commercials and the preview removed but the catchup left in this latest episode clocks in at 40:42 mins, ABC is definitely pumping this show full of commercials, that runtime is even lower than the typical cable network.
Interesting because the Vudu with no commercials is 43:03 with credits. I wonder if they're speeding it up by 10% or so for the network.

Cheers,
Old 03-14-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Interesting because the Vudu with no commercials is 43:03 with credits. I wonder if they're speeding it up by 10% or so for the network.

Cheers,
Does the Vudu version have the closing credit scroll? That's almost 40 secs just in that. I'll recheck my trimmed copy and post back later. Your comment about speeding it up could have merit, probably not 10% but I just read about a network that was doing just that, though I don't recall which one it was.

Last edited by Keenan; 03-14-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Does the Vudu version have the closing credit scroll? That's almost 40 secs just in that. I'll recheck my trimmed copy and post back later. Your comment about speeding it up could have merit, probably not 10% but I just read about a network that was doing just that, though I don't recall which one it was.
Humm...not all eps are the same length.

Ep 12 "Who you really are" is 41:42, blinking credits not scrolling at 41:04, ends with Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos (abc logo is missing the last second or so)
Ep 11 "Aftershocks" is 43:03, blinking credits not scrolling start at 42:24, ends with Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos
Ep 10 "What they become" is 43:04, blinking credits at end, ends with Puerto Rico Film commission Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos

Cheers,
Old 03-14-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Most of the "good" cable networks run around 45 minutes still (43-47) and may even hit 50 on special episodes. Siffy is the only one I know of that has such low standards as to regularly run shows that are under 40 minutes (39).

ABC isn't particularly different from the rest of the broadcast networks, but I think CW is usually the shortest and clocks around 40 more often than the others. Even their shows from a decade ago have many 40-minute episodes.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

And for those in my home market(San Francisco-KGO-Comcast) the resulting file size was 1.75 GB with a video bitrate of 5652 Kbps. If mrvideo is reading this thread I would love to hear what data size he sees from the network, I'm curious to see how badly my local station and or Comcast are mangling this content.

This is why I have been asking whether Comcast is shifting bandwidth to on-demand. I often find the same show's segment to consistently have much better video and often better audio if I have to go to on-demand to finish or it or see it again.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I tend to use the Watch ABC app the next day most times. The 1080p stream is very good. My ABC is not too bad in the picture quality department, but does have an RTV and a weather subchannel. The bigger problem is the constant weather alerts or distracting news story pop ups, so I just avoid them now.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Humm...not all eps are the same length.

Ep 12 "Who you really are" is 41:42, blinking credits not scrolling at 41:04, ends with Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos (abc logo is missing the last second or so)
Ep 11 "Aftershocks" is 43:03, blinking credits not scrolling start at 42:24, ends with Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos
Ep 10 "What they become" is 43:04, blinking credits at end, ends with Puerto Rico Film commission Mutant Enemy, Marvell, abc logos

Cheers,
I just ran it through again and it came out at 40:55 mins. Not sure where I lost those 13 secs the first time. This includes the beginning catchup and finishes when Mack chokes Lance to sleep. Without the catchup and beginning with the Marvel plate the actual new content was only 40:23 mins. The previews, the Mutant Enemy logo and everything else was trimmed out. I did notice that on one return from break, the first break actually, around the 13 min mark there are only 2 frames between the final image of the commercial to the first frame of the team standing around the light table, that is really cutting it close, usually there can be several dozen frames on those transitions. When viewed at normal speed it's seen as one of those really abrupt returns, a very non-smooth transition to say the least.

I don't include end credits as TV viewers rarely ever get to see those anyway, they're usually scrolled in a little box at hyperspeed that no normal human could read anyway or not shown at all. VOD and the like will quite often have those credit rolls and I think for this show it runs around 30-45 secs, for this particular episode it ran 40 secs.

Last edited by Keenan; 03-15-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
This is why I have been asking whether Comcast is shifting bandwidth to on-demand. I often find the same show's segment to consistently have much better video and often better audio if I have to go to on-demand to finish or it or see it again.
This will vary by market, different Comcast systems do different things and the stations themselves are very different as well. As far as shifting to OnDemand, in the not to distant future Comcast appears to be headed toward IP delivery of all their video content anyway, though I don't think they are shifting linear broadcast TV bandwidth to OnDemand currently. It is possible though I suppose.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:

Here in the DC area it was 4.18GB in size for the entire 60 minutes with commercials.

The local ABC station has averaged a bitrate of 9.13Mb/s with the current 15 hours of recordings I have from it.(according to the info that KMTTG reports)

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-15-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Here in the DC area it was 4.18GB in size for the entire 60 minutes with commercials.

The local ABC station has averaged a bitrate of 9.13Mb/s with the current 15 hours of recordings I have from it.(according to the info that KMTTG reports)
Interesting, as I noted above, the file size here in the SF market(KGO) is only 2.75GB with an overall bitrate of 6.5Mb/s. Does your local station also have an HD version of their Live Well channel? As you can see on the Wikipedia page my local station runs two full time HD channels plus an SD channel, and it shows in the image quality of their broadcasts, specifically network programming with darkly lit scenes, which Agent Carter and SHIELD are loaded with. I've often wondered if this show is shot in such low light to help hide maybe less than perfect CGI work. It would be great to hear vfxproducer's input on that.

Thanks for the info aaronwt!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 170
A little production trivia about this week's episode: the steps of the academic building at "Culver University" in West Virginia where Blair Underwood's character is introduced was filmed literally a stone's throw from where the big final showdown on the Wisconsin high school football field was filmed. Both "locations" were filmed at Occidental College in Los Angeles, California, which happens to be the alma mater of S.H.I.E.L.D. executive producer Maurissa Tancharoen (who's married to Jed Whedon). They obviously named the Wisconsin high school team the "Outlaws" so the big "O" in the middle of the field would make sense.

On the other hand, the aerial view of "Culver University" was not of Occidental College, which actually can't be seen from the air through all the LA smog.

You may recognize Occidental College (also the alma mater of yours truly) from the 1995 film "Clueless," which would have been filming about the time Tancharoen was attending school there (five years after I graduated).
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
South Pasadena got a nod also IIRC? Monterey road in old town.
Zookster likes this.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 AM

Ep 13 One of us

Good episode good forward movement but not pivotal like 12.

I was half expecting EJO to walk around the corner to great Mack and Lance in the "Real SHIELD" facility.

Cheers,
Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I guess you are right and EJO is probably the director, so it may be a high-speed organization -- but I guess I am having a negative reaction because this is way too close to something that I could see happen in real life.

I don't know about the comic book canon, but where were these guys when Coulson was looking for "good" SHIELD agents? And why haven't they just made contact? It smacks of some Mirrored-Aviator-Sunglasses wearing wannabe with all the supply-room go faster gear (who was a marginal performer in the original SHIELD for solid reasons) jumps into the void, grabs a bunch of folks who do not know him, and builds an organization based on all those "stellar" leadership and organizational skills that made him marginal in the first place.

v/r,
C-F
Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Now that Hydra is beaten, or so they implied, why wouldn't Fury come back and then there would be no need for a silly Shield vs Shield storyline?