ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 747Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2701 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 403
As much as I've enjoyed SHIELD, often when many others have bashed it, that was just a bad, bad scene on the rooftop. Though I get that Daisy might have been too "daised" to effectively use her powers, just one sucker punch from Mallik (even without mechanical arms) could have rendered her completely unconscious. Instead, even after several blows to the head with his mechanical arms, she still never completely loses consciousness - let alone has her head caved in as others have pointed out.

The show really missed an opportunity for a fun fight scene, where Mallik rips up pieces of rooftop HVAV equipment and throws them at her, while she blasts them back at him. One of them hitting the guards holding Homeless guy, which brings me to my next point ...

How does Homeless guy slip his guards to get near Mallik? And then how does Mallik get away? Instead of finishing off a still reeling Daisy, he is somehow whisked away off-camera? Just too many holes and questions that could have easily been answered with just a few seconds of background activity edited in to show how everything played out.
CosmoNut likes this.
Zookster is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2702 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
CosmoNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
As much as I've enjoyed SHIELD, often when many others have bashed it, that was just a bad, bad scene on the rooftop. Though I get that Daisy might have been too "daised" to effectively use her powers, just one sucker punch from Mallik (even without mechanical arms) could have rendered her completely unconscious. Instead, even after several blows to the head with his mechanical arms, she still never completely loses consciousness - let alone has her head caved in as others have pointed out.

The show really missed an opportunity for a fun fight scene, where Mallik rips up pieces of rooftop HVAV equipment and throws them at her, while she blasts them back at him. One of them hitting the guards holding Homeless guy, which brings me to my next point ...

How does Homeless guy slip his guards to get near Mallik? And then how does Mallik get away? Instead of finishing off a still reeling Daisy, he is somehow whisked away off-camera? Just too many holes and questions that could have easily been answered with just a few seconds of background activity edited in to show how everything played out.
Agreed on all counts. The more I think about it, the more it seems really poorly and lazily written. After being punched with those mechanical arms, Daisy shouldn't have a face.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
CosmoNut is offline  
post #2703 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 22,770
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked: 2639
At the risk of piling on, the rooftop scene was like a film school disaster, although the whole episode was unusually poorly directed and edited. This show is typically better than that.
archiguy is online now  
post #2704 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 22,770
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked: 2639
And whatever happened to Fitz's disability? They haven't referred to it in weeks, if not the whole season, and he seems to have made a complete recovery. Must be the Wheaties.
archiguy is online now  
post #2705 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Forget why they felt they had to confront HYdra there. To save the guy? Daisy accomplished using her head as a punching bag but the guy had to save her, not the other way around.

Maybe they didn't have the budget for a drawn out fight with stunts and special effects there.
wco81 is offline  
post #2706 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
CosmoNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And whatever happened to Fitz's disability? They haven't referred to it in weeks, if not the whole season, and he seems to have made a complete recovery. Must be the Wheaties.
Love can do some amazing things to a person, I guess.

As for the final scene, let's remember it's a Disney-owned franchise. There's only so much blood, gore, and abuse they'd be willing to show on broadcast TV. Pretty sure a young woman getting her face bashed in by an old man crosses that line.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
CosmoNut is offline  
post #2707 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
John dhein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 'Sconsin
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 313
I figured out a good thing about Ward being back. We get to watch him die all over again!
John dhein is offline  
post #2708 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I figured out a good thing about Ward being back. We get to watch him die all over again!
Yes. He's not dead, he's ahive.
archiguy and AidenL like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
post #2709 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I hate to be that guy, but Ward is dead. His body's just being worn by someone-something else....

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
post #2710 of 3053 Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Yeah but supposedly has his memories.

Bet he will have a soft spot for Daisy at some point where he could have killed her but doesn't for sentimental reasons.
wco81 is offline  
post #2711 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,597
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Watch it with the spoilers there, pal!
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #2712 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Appearently Ward is a big fan of "Matrix: Reloaded".
aaronwt, Tom Imp and dnoonie like this.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #2713 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Appearently Ward is a big fan of "Matrix: Reloaded".

As I'm scrolling through all the reponses, I'm wondering why no one mentioned this. The first thing I thought when Ward came around that corner in the coat in slo-mo was he looked like Neo. Give him shades and it would have been perfect.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #2714 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
John dhein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 'Sconsin
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah but supposedly has his memories.

Bet he will have a soft spot for Daisy at some point where he could have killed her but doesn't for sentimental reasons.
He does not (perhaps cannot) kill mutants. I'm hoping Lash kills him, for May!
John dhein is offline  
post #2715 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
CosmoNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
As I'm scrolling through all the reponses, I'm wondering why no one mentioned this. The first thing I thought when Ward came around that corner in the coat in slo-mo was he looked like Neo. Give him shades and it would have been perfect.
Ah, but Ward's coat is DARK GREEN. Neo's was black. It's totally different.

To the tune of a Newsboys song:

"Ward's not dead, his body is Hive..."

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
CosmoNut is offline  
post #2716 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,122
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I hate to be that guy, but Ward is dead. His body's just being worn by someone-something else....


Like an Edgar suit...

JohnDG and cel4145 like this.
ambesolman is online now  
post #2717 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,313
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Forget why they felt they had to confront HYdra there. To save the guy? Daisy accomplished using her head as a punching bag but the guy had to save her, not the other way around.
The whole reason for this doing this mission in the first place is poorly explained. It all seems to be just because they want to save the homeless guy. Yet they haven't mounted huge rescue missions for any other other Inhumans that Malick kidnapped previously.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #2718 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,853
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The whole reason for this doing this mission in the first place is poorly explained. It all seems to be just because they want to save the homeless guy. Yet they haven't mounted huge rescue missions for any other other Inhumans that Malick kidnapped previously.
Being able to accurately predict the future could be extremely valuable, much more so than many other abilities.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #2719 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Being able to accurately predict the future could be extremely valuable, much more so than many other abilities.
The problem with his ability was he had to have contact with the person and not a large group. The future would still be hard to predict at such a slow rate of return wouldn't it? One person at a time.
Sharp1080 is offline  
post #2720 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
The problem with his ability was he had to have contact with the person and not a large group. The future would still be hard to predict at such a slow rate of return wouldn't it? One person at a time.
The other problem is, and they commented on this, his ability does not show "the future in general" it only shows a death of someone, and not even the person touched. So he can show you someone dying, but not much else about the future.
cel4145 likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #2721 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
FOPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The whole reason for this doing this mission in the first place is poorly explained. It all seems to be just because they want to save the homeless guy. Yet they haven't mounted huge rescue missions for any other other Inhumans that Malick kidnapped previously.
Daisy tells the homeless guy, she will watch over his daughter....always. Perhaps since her dad develops special abilities, so shall she.
FOPA is offline  
post #2722 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 179
The dad was turned due to exposure to the terrigen tainted fish oil pills... His daughter is safe so long as she never takes one of those contaminated pills. Remember, Daisy had no powers - in spite of having a natural born Inhuman mom, until she went thru terrigensis in the temple.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
post #2723 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Skye just gets power, doesn't physically change.

Meanwhile that other girl grew spikes all over her face.
wco81 is offline  
post #2724 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Inhumans are just like Mutants. Some will continue to appear human, while others outwardly change.
Turrican4D likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
post #2725 of 3053 Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Yeah but they kept the cute female lead a cute female lead.
wco81 is offline  
post #2726 of 3053 Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CANNON-FODDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 63
And turned the cute female lead-antagonist into the spiny anteater cryptic witch-doctor?

v/r,
C-F
CruelInventions likes this.
CANNON-FODDER is offline  
post #2727 of 3053 Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah but they kept the cute female lead a cute female lead.

they did?

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
post #2728 of 3053 Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ewing Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Appearently Ward is a big fan of "Matrix: Reloaded".
I laughed out loud when I saw the coat. Ridiculous...
aaronwt, Turrican4D and dnoonie like this.
mikeewing is offline  
post #2729 of 3053 Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,313
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah but they kept the cute female lead a cute female lead.
Lincoln, Jia Ying, and the majority of other Inhumans at Afterlife also retained their normal physical appearances. Only a small percentage of Inhumans morph into monsters.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #2730 of 3053 Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,315
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Appearently Ward is a big fan of "Matrix: Reloaded".
That was my first thought when I saw him walking down the hallway

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off