ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 730Likes

post #2791 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Not true, the actors have said, numerous times on various talk shows, they can't believe they haven't been called to do a cameo and when they were on a talk show with Coulson they all were harassing him saying when will he let them guess star on his show. They have repeatedly said that if someone would pick up the phone they would be there in a second (Downey, Evans, and Scarlett at least said that).
Then maybe they don't want to spend to shoe Ironman effects on a tv show. Or reserve the superheroes for the big budget movies.

Or try to develop stars on the show and not have them overshadowed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
After all that build-up, the fearsome Kree are just a bunch of big, slow, easily dispatched wussies who bring swords to gunfights.
Was it the Kree which were in the first Avengers movie or was that another alien race?
post #2793 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The problem with special powers is that all the good ones are taken by the big names,
This is an ongoing problem with superhero fiction: the need to make each super-character unique. If you're going to postulate a huge influx of fish-oil powered inhumans, you'd think that a loto of them would have the same powers as, not only each other, but as other, better-known superheroes as well.

I guess the only thing wrong with a whole platoon of super-strong, invulnerable, flying heroes is how boring their TV show would be.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #2794 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
This is an ongoing problem with superhero fiction: the need to make each super-character unique. If you're going to postulate a huge influx of fish-oil powered inhumans, you'd think that a loto of them would have the same powers as, not only each other, but as other, better-known superheroes as well.
On the Tomorrow People nearly everyone did have the same abilities, just with greater or less expertise. That solved the usual dilemma. On SHIELD they've backed themselves into a corner now because at one point I think they said that everyone being given unique skills was all part of the Kree masterplan.

post #2795 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
The problem with special powers is that all the good ones are taken by the big names, so what we are getting now are the least useful and least interesting. Even WardHive has an uninteresting life-draining power combined with the Power of Personality. Ironically it doesn't give him one. Still, it isn't as bad yet as the conclusion to The 4400. When hundreds of people were given abilities one person was granted the ability to change a pen into a flower.
Also, the powers are way too powerful to be contained on tv shows and sometimes movies. That's why I really liked "Alphas" whose special people had fairly minor powers but enough to be useful in a cooperative group.
Keenan and dnoonie like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2796 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Like Daisy beating up on Mack, this show is really pulling its punches left and right to the point of being annoying.

I really wonder what the plan is for the two SHIELD "red shirts" they introduced on this episode. Seriously, nobody in SHIELD except the main characters have had more lines in the entire series combined than those two did in this one episode. I have a feeling that one of them will be the "someone in SHIELD is going to die" that Daisy talked about. It totally makes sense. Why would Daisy SAY "someone" if it's one of the major characters that she knows? She'd name them. If, however, I saw some random SHIELD employee (whose name I don't know) die in a vision, only then would I say "someone." From a production standpoint, introducing them this week gives the showrunners a couple of weeks to get us to care about them before they kill them off. Please.

Lastly, I REALLY wonder if something about the storyline in this show has sabotaged the Inhumans movie that was planned. Maybe Marvel has looked at everything and thought the whole thing is dumb and they're not going to bother now?

It was all getting so good, and now I'm just annoyed.
CruelInventions likes this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #2797 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
It was all getting so good, and now I'm just annoyed.
Probably part of it is the connection with the movie release stuff that went on each year.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2798 of 2996 Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Was it last season or the season before, they were like the scooby gang or the scouts who investigated strange phenomenon, which turned out to be alien artifacts and such.

But they kept racheting it up to arch villains with superpowers, to make it a mini superhero movie, though without real superheroes, just these one-trick pony inhumans.

I guess they're hoping more effects, bigger fights and larger plots will draw more ratings. But it may be that the throngs of people who go to the Marvel blockbuster movies view the series as being about the JV team or the interns that the superheroes wouldn't deign to interact with.
post #2799 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Was it last season or the season before, they were like the scooby gang or the scouts who investigated strange phenomenon, which turned out to be alien artifacts and such.
That's how it was in the first season until Captain America: The Winter Soldier flipped the MCU on its head with the Hydra-Inside-SHIELD reveal. Up to that point, every AOS episode sort of dealt with the weird phenomenon/person of the week.

---
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition

Last edited by CosmoNut; 05-06-2016 at 06:54 AM.
post #2800 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4083 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
It seemed strange Hive and Daisy went to so much trouble to secure the Kree device that could call home and was described by Hive as the only thing that could stop him when as it turned out Hive was able to just toy with the Kree during the melee fight until he used his "sandblasting" power on him.
THose Kree had been in stasis for thousands of years.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2801 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
THose Kree had been in stasis for thousands of years.
Never dismiss the value of stretching before a workout -- especially if you've been in stasis for thousands of years.
Sharp1080 and replayrob like this.

post #2802 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what the tie-in to Civil War is going to be next week. Probably some passing line about "We have to stop fighting with our own team members. Stark and Cap have shown how dangerous that can be." or some line about the Sokovia Accords. We already know that there was no wink or nod to the movie coming out like they did before Age of Ultron -- that scene where Coulson told Hill to "call in the Avengers."

Sigh. It's all connected. But it's not REALLY.

---
post #2803 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Was it the Kree which were in the first Avengers movie or was that another alien race?
No, those were the Chitauri. The Kree were first seen in Guardians of the Galaxy. The main villain Ronan the Accuser was a Kree.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2804 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if the tie ins are to help the movie or to help the show.

They usually do a lo of commercials for the movie during the show anyways.
post #2805 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
So, is Brett Dalton totally channeling Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith in his vocal characterization of Hive, or what?
He's got the matrix outfit too.

What kree did daisy fight before?

Ward was an ancient Mayan or some such. Human. When did he turn into a slug/parasite with the brain capacity to store thousands of years of memories?
post #2806 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
He's got the matrix outfit too.

Don't recall.
Quote:

Ward was an ancient Mayan or some such. Human. When did he turn into a slug/parasite with the brain capacity to store thousands of years of memories?
It's not Ward: he died on the remote planet and was taken over by the Hive, Hydra's "god". It's the Hive that has all those memories from people it's "eaten".
Ph8te likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #2807 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I don't believe Daisy ever fought a Kree. The SHIELD black ops research unit (while Fury was Director) had a Kree in captivity to experiment on, and used its blood to revive Coulson from the dead. Coulson in turn used its blood to save Daisy/Skye when she had a near-death experience.

Josh Z

post #2808 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't believe Daisy ever fought a Kree. The SHIELD black ops research unit (while Fury was Director) had a Kree in captivity to experiment on, and used its blood to revive Coulson from the dead. Coulson in turn used its blood to save Daisy/Skye when she had a near-death experience.
Well, there was that Kree that Lady Sif was chasing that gave her a memory block...Season 2, ep 12
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_You_Really_Are

Daisy had a run in with that Kree guy, I don't remember what ensued but she didn't have much control back then.

Cheers,
post #2809 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Well, there was that Kree that Lady Sif was chasing that gave her a memory block...Season 2, ep 12
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_You_Really_Are

Daisy had a run in with that Kree guy, I don't remember what ensued but she didn't have much control back then.
Oh, right. Forgot about him. He was a Kree disguised as a human, so the show wouldn't have to spend any money on makeup or special effects.

I looked up my old recap of that episode. Apparently, that was in the very early days of Daisy being transformed and she hadn't come out to the team yet. Talking to that guy about what the Inhumans are caused her to freak out and lose control of her powers, starting an earthquake. He tried to kill her, so she ran away and knocked herself out with an icer gun to stop the quake.

That was about it for their interaction. After that, Lady Sif brought the Kree with her back to Asgard and we never saw him again.

Josh Z

post #2810 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
I guess I will offer a differing opinion and say that I'm happy with where the show has gone. I'm fine with them keeping Brett Dalton around since they gave him a new character to portray, and I think the buildup to his Inhuman threat was warranted, as an Inhuman whose power is to control other Inhumans (and sandblast humans!) does explain why he was locked away on an alien planet. Big Bad revelations are so often anticlimactic that it was nice to have one that felt properly paced and hyped for once.

The main thing that had me scratching my head was the Kree introduction in this last episode, as has already been mentioned. Hive says that he has to keep the artifacts safe, because they can summon the one thing capable of destroying him, so then what does he do? He uses the artifacts to summon his destroyers and then promptly defeats them with little effort. That part made no sense, but I'm happy with the notWard storyline otherwise.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2811 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Maybe there are different distance or strength settings on the Kree summoner. Maybe he set it so it'd only be strong enough to summon the Kree who were in stasis in our solar system.

Those ancient Kree wouldn't know anything about modern weapons or about all the hand-to-hand combat techniques that had been developed since they went into stasis. If they thought there hadn't been any progress since those ancient days, they wouldn't have thought it necessary to bring advanced weapons. Dumb.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #2812 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
1 Maybe there are different distance or strength settings on the Kree summoner. Maybe he set it so it'd only be strong enough to summon the Kree who were in stasis in our solar system.

2 Those ancient Kree wouldn't know anything about modern weapons or about all the hand-to-hand combat techniques that had been developed since they went into stasis. If they thought there hadn't been any progress since those ancient days, they wouldn't have thought it necessary to bring advanced weapons. Dumb.
1. Yep, I'm thinking that once that signal reaches more Kree, more Kree hunting inhumans will arrive, from season 2 ep 12...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_You_Really_Are,
" The Kree, named Vin-Tak, cooperates by restoring Sif’s memory and explaining his mission on Earth: he had learnt that Terrigenesis, the transformation of a human with special genetic material into a Kree war-slave, had recently taken place on Earth, and had come to put down the "abomination" and destroy the Diviners remaining on the planet."
So Hive was created to enslave the Inhumans for the Kree, but it didn't work out like they had planed.

2. Like a come as you are party. Guess they were in too big a hurry to check things out before they crash landed. When your stasis pod is ejected in a space life boat before you wake up you likely don't have time to pack a bag. At least that's what it looked like to me. I bet Mack would like that Kree axe knife thing! He should start carrying something like that, we know he wants to!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kree Axe, Knife thing.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1426738  

Last edited by dnoonie; 05-06-2016 at 04:19 PM.
post #2813 of 2996 Old 05-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Don't recall.

It's not Ward: he died on the remote planet and was taken over by the Hive, Hydra's "god". It's the Hive that has all those memories from people it's "eaten".
No, I understand it's not ward. He was recalling the time the kree created him as inhuman. When he was a mayan. The first body/memory. When did that body turn into the slug? Or is the slug a completely different entity than this flashback?
post #2814 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 142
In regards to Brett Dalton, unrelated to AoS, he was one of two people out of eight that I was able to save in that video game Until Dawn. Even there he can't be killed.
post #2815 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
In regards to Brett Dalton, unrelated to AoS, he was one of two people out of eight that I was able to save in that video game Until Dawn. Even there he can't be killed.

Did you sacrifice Sam so that Mike could make it out of the cabin at the end?
post #2816 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I really wonder what the plan is for the two SHIELD "red shirts" they introduced on this episode. Seriously, nobody in SHIELD except the main characters have had more lines in the entire series combined than those two did in this one episode. I have a feeling that one of them will be the "someone in SHIELD is going to die" that Daisy talked about. It totally makes sense. Why would Daisy SAY "someone" if it's one of the major characters that she knows? She'd name them. If, however, I saw some random SHIELD employee (whose name I don't know) die in a vision, only then would I say "someone." From a production standpoint, introducing them this week gives the showrunners a couple of weeks to get us to care about them before they kill them off. Please.
Daisy says someone because she doesn't know who it is. All she knows is someone will die, not their identity.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
post #2817 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Question, does anyone remember what happened to Mike Peterson/Deathlok? I can't remember how that ended.
post #2818 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
I still find it weird watching him play a character that is so similar to the one he played on Tomorrow People, yet somehow much worse and far less interesting.
I just got around to watching this episode last night, and I was thinking sort of the same thing. I wonder if there was some cue in that episode that triggered that in us?

If Mitchell's character in S.H.I.E.L.D. were written a little more like Tomorrow People, it would be better. Lincoln is a bit too whiny and more prone to outbursts than John Young. He was certainly impulsive and rebellious, but Young was just a better character.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50 & RC-LCR, Ascend CBM-170 SE, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Desktop: Sierra 1 | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 | DX50 | E12
post #2819 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

In the first Avengers film, the alien race were the Chitauri, not the Kree. The Chitauri seem to be lackeys for Thanos in the MCU. I'm wondering if they will appear in the Infinity War films.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #2820 of 2996 Old 05-07-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
Question, does anyone remember what happened to Mike Peterson/Deathlok? I can't remember how that ended.
He and Lincoln were captured by Hydra at the end of season 2, and experimented/tortured on. His arm and leg were disabled and at the start of this season, was said to convolesing while awaiting repair and/or upgrade of his bionics. At least, that's what I recall.

Edit-after checking an episode guide, Hydra removed Peterson's cybernetics completely. His leg and eye implants. He hasn't been seen since.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 05-07-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page