AVS Forum banner

ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

182K views 4K replies 214 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Looks good. Coulson's back.
Cast looks a little bland, but hopefully we'll be seeing Cobie Smulders on a regular basis once HIMYM is over.

From the trailer it looks like the show is going to be centered around superheroes- I really hope ABC/Disney pumps a little extra $$$$ into this show

so the FX aren't their typical green-screen garbage like their more recent action/sci-fi stuff (V, etc). They've really been below par.

Share your thoughts.

See less See more
1 1
#3,521 ·
Starlord immediately came to mind when I saw him, but there’s no way that AoS could bring in a top tier character to the series.

And previous seasons have had one-liners but the characters were all bunched up in first episode so there were more of them coming at us in rapid succession.

#3,512 ·
Nice hearing the Talking Heads (This Must Be the Place) as the Kree goes through his morning routine including changing his outer skin then heads to work where he and his crew arrive at Rae's.

The Heads had a unique enjoyable sound!

Reactions: dnoonie
#3,513 · (Edited)
I'm happy to see the show is aiming big and crazy again. This is the Marvel universe, I don't want to watch a boring FBI clone agency procedural chasing criminals with slightly weird crime abilities. I want to see imaginative stories doing creative things. So far this season is delivering. Like last season it's a collection of typical sci-fi tropes but they are making it work. The Kree were lame in their first appearance and the footsoldiers are still dull here, but the hierarchy is much more interesting.

The first episode felt like an entirely different show. The one-liners were coming thick and fast, meta gags, referencing specific elements like being trapped in another Framework, Ghost Rider magic and trope humor ... Coulson and his "I bet this is the coolest we've ever looked", Mack and "I don't half-hit" response ... very funny stuff which did not carry over to the second episode.

I'm trying to remember where I saw someone kill people with two telekinetic silver spheres before, but all I can think of is Phantasm and Arrow.

Not buying it that Daisy destroyed Earth, but it makes for an interesting twist angle to play with for now.

#3,514 · (Edited)
1) The first episode felt like an entirely different show. The one-liners were coming thick and fast, meta gags, referencing specific elements like being trapped in another Framework, Ghost Rider magic and trope humor ... Coulson and his "I bet this is the coolest we've ever looked", Mack and "I don't half-hit" response ... very funny stuff which did not carry over to the second episode.

2) I'm trying to remember where I saw someone kill people with two telekinetic silver spheres before, but all I can think of is Phantasm and Arrow.

3) Not buying it that Daisy destroyed Earth, but it makes for an interesting twist angle to play with for now.
1) I enjoyed this too.

2) Magneto and his escape from the plastic prison?

3) Yes, a lot of if associated with that.

Cheers,

Reactions: VisionOn
#3,517 ·
Add me to the list of those who like this season's opening premise and are looking forward to this season. But with a couple of questions/concerns:

As recently as the beginning of last season, Daisy wasn't able to use her powers without hurting herself (bone micro-fractures) and had to have special SHIELD meds and gauntlets to mitigate the effects. This is part of the reason she would often fight with fists firsts to save herself the damage of using her powers. Here she has neither the meds nor gauntlets and yet is using her powers to open what appeared to be an unlocked door. So does that mean in space she can use her powers with impunity?

Why would the Kree let Deke run a framework-type environment for entertainment without any kind of close monitoring when it could potentially be used for recruitment, training, and planning of a rebel insurgency?

#3,518 ·
As recently as the beginning of last season, Daisy wasn't able to use her powers without hurting herself (bone micro-fractures) and had to have special SHIELD meds and gauntlets to mitigate the effects. This is part of the reason she would often fight with fists firsts to save herself the damage of using her powers. Here she has neither the meds nor gauntlets and yet is using her powers to open what appeared to be an unlocked door. So does that mean in space she can use her powers with impunity?
I think that was actually addressed. When Daisy and Mack were talking about splitting up she mentioned that she could use her powers without problem for some reason I forget.

I also just remembered Mack having the discussion about why they should not split up to search for May in the first episode, because something bad always happens when groups split up to get picked off one by one and usually the black character dies first. I thought that was pretty funny too. :D

#3,523 ·
You can definitely tell the show has a lower budget this year but they are handling it okay. They really need some plot movement though because even with Daisy getting quakey the episode felt like they only had money to shoot in three rooms and had little they could do. I was wondering where Fitz was so his appearance adds some interest.

I am so far behind on shows this month I am only up to date with SHIELD and Runaways. Of the two I think SHIELD is better. Runaways started strong but has become less interesting, while SHIELD started well and is still interesting. I'm really hoping the second pod is time travel based.

#3,524 ·
I think the show is flailing, just trying out whatever it thinks might strike a chord.

They're suppose to be in the Marvel universe but they can't actually have the characters from the movies make appearances on the show, certainly not regularly and certainly not the big stars from the movies.

Show has so little to do with what the movies are doing that I don't know why Disney bothers to prop it up.

Can't imagine it has any kind of promotional value to get viewers to go see the movies.

#3,525 ·
I’m blah about it this year, really thinking about dropping it to be honest.

#3,528 ·
I'm still enjoying this season. Worst thing taking me out of the immersion factor is the May stunt-double fight scenes. At this point, they should just make her an inhuman -- one that automatically spawns a younger version of herself to fight for her whenever the need arises, kind of like that one inhuman villain in an earlier season who could insta-clone herself during fights.

#3,530 ·
I don’t know if this is common knowledge but MingNa Wen injured her knee badly last season. She even needed surgery. And at the cons, she’s been using the George Costanza scooter to get around.

I haven’t seen any official news about the injury but I follow her on Instagram and even though she hasn’t said much it was probably pretty bad.

I’m guessing the word came down from on high that she’s not to do anymore of her own stunts. And that’s probably why May got skewered in the leg in the first episode so that she didn’t have to hide her real limping.

#3,533 ·
It's flailing badly. The scenes with the guy with the blue eye shadow are extremely boring and i fast forward through most of them.

I guess the good news is that in the +7 ratings, it's doing fairly well for a Friday night show

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/week-11-broadcast-live-7-ratings-dec-4-10-2017/
We must be watching different shows or have totally different tastes because I don't think it is floundering at all. In fact, I think this is one of the best seasons so far and I enjoy the blue man and his female partner. I think they are cool in what they are doing/how they do it/her ability, etc.

#3,542 ·
I like this season so far... still engaging me as much as the last couple of seasons.

I knew early on that they weren't going to bring the big guns from the movies onto TV. That would cost them money! I don't know why anyone ever expected that was going to happen. They just said the show exists in the same universe, which means they can share the continuity and reference things. This show is a Disney/ABC produced show so it doesn't have to make the same money as a non-Disney show. As such, they can use it as a season-long advertisement and drop in whatever movie references they want when they have something to promote. It would almost be stupid of them to cancel the show as long as the actors want to keep doing it.

They would replace it with something that would cost them more if they brought in a non-Disney-produced show AND that replacement would have to make them money AND it wouldn't at all be useful as a promotional tool.

#3,547 · (Edited)
I was getting major Fringe vibes with this episode as well. But it was exactly what this season needed. The future stuff was getting a bit monotonous so I really enjoyed this episode and how it answered some questions and tied it back to previous seasons. It moved quickly and had some genuine funny parts and surprises. Seeing Hunter again was cool, even if he does look odd with hair.

Now I know exactly the what and the how I'm looking forward to the space reunion and Mack having his axe back.

Still think we haven't seen the last of the LMDs. Hale seems too hardcore and dismissive of androids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.