AVS Forum banner

ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

182K views 4K replies 214 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Looks good. Coulson's back.
Cast looks a little bland, but hopefully we'll be seeing Cobie Smulders on a regular basis once HIMYM is over.

From the trailer it looks like the show is going to be centered around superheroes- I really hope ABC/Disney pumps a little extra $$$$ into this show

so the FX aren't their typical green-screen garbage like their more recent action/sci-fi stuff (V, etc). They've really been below par.

Share your thoughts.

See less See more
1 1
#3,615 ·
I am very much liking the season. Mostly.

The story, the characters, the acting, the effects, all are fine with me.

BUT, the fact that to enjoy it, I need a darkened room, and no other distractions, HAS to be affecting their ratings. Most of the "Joe Six-Pack" families out there will not watch a show they can't see with the lights on.

To me, it explains, in part, lower ratings than I think it deserves, and seems a poor decision by the production team.

#3,616 · (Edited)
I have had no such issues with watching this season and having the episodes being too dark! I can watch with the lights out since I watch it alone and don't get negative feedback from anyone else watching along with me. I always thought that a ratings decline was due to people watching other programs not that their monitors weren't capable of reproducing black level correctly?

#3,631 ·
That was an unnecessarily violent episode. I expect a few dark moments here and there but the show is becoming too dark. Contrast this week with the fun opener.

Very tired of seeing everything take place in three rooms so I’ll be glad when they get to Earth, and the Kree are lame. Easy to kill by everyone so I don’t know how they managed universal domination. One bullet takes out a Kree instantly and even the jacked up Kasius looked both ridiculous and ineffective vs regular Mack.

#3,632 ·
SHIELD is back from hiatus with some interesting developments, though I'm convinced Deke was only brought back for one, or all three, of the following reasons: 1) to be a romantic prospect for Daisy in a love-hate kind of way; 2) to ultimately serve as a red shirt on the SHIELD team (along with Piper); 3) to plug the show's sponsors on a weekly basis.

It'll be interesting to see what the teen daughter's real motivations are. I'm not convinced she's not merely after a selfie with Quake to post on her Instagram.

Fun, entertaining episode, regardless.

#3,637 ·
I wasn't paying close attention.

Did the daughter move at hyper speed to get the jump on Yo Yo?

I figure the way this resolves is that they figure a way out of the time loop paradox and all is well.

BTW, one would think that if the future of the planet was in danger, they'd call in the A-Team (Avengers), not rely on these JV bench-warmers? (No offense to these characters but come on, that's how they've always presented them.)

The idea was that the Avengers have bigger fish to fry so they can't be bothered with the kind of trifling things that SHIELD was investigating, early in season 1, like weird artifacts and stuff.

But it seems like they wanted to raise the stakes so the last couple of seasons, SHIELD is always saving the world. But now with SHIELD being shown as outlaws, with the US govt. after them, why isn't the Samuel Jackson character intervening? Of course we know the reason is, he's not going to get involved too much with the TV show, especially a low-rated one.

You'd think Phil would have been taught to escalate to Nick Fury and the Avengers if things got dire. But now, in the current version of the MCU, the Avengers might as well not exist.

They can't even do an all-hands on deck call out to former SHIELD, because of course, those actors have moved on to other projects.

#3,638 · (Edited)
I wasn't paying close attention.

Did the daughter move at hyper speed to get the jump on Yo Yo?

I figure the way this resolves is that they figure a way out of the time loop paradox and all is well. ...
I don't think Ruby has hyper-speed, I think they would have showed that in a cool close up. So, I think she just timed/guided the chakram throw. Probably guided, I don't remember chakram returning to the thrower. Now that I think of it, I don't think boomarangs used for hunting return either.

Spoiler is for the comic version, AoS comment is fair-game speculation.
I read some interviews with the "Ruby" actress, which led me to the rough parallel on Yo-Yo to the comics (different Big Bad, different time, different plot device, same endstate). So I am not sure this is a temporary reset the clock situation for her.

Edit: posted, then immediately edited to include spoiler text that usually comes out plain-text in the e-mail. So if anyone gets this/the spoiler text in the e-mail, please let me know - so then I will know to wait some time to edit in the spoiler stuff next time.

v/r,
C-F

#3,639 ·
Is Ruby a precog?...

Cheers,

#3,648 · (Edited)
Anybody who loves Zima that much is okay with me.* :D

At first, I was thinking that was about the most obvious example of product placement I've ever seen. But I have not seen any other ads, including on TV, for Zima since the Adolph Coors company brought it back last year. They stopped making it back in 2004, and they say this is a "limited time" revival (I'm guessing that's marketing-speak for seeing how big the demand is before going all-in) and returning to the original graphics and iconic fluted bottle. So my working theory is that one or more of the producers are big fans.

* Hey, I drink beer too; don't judge me. :p Try a Zima with a shot of Chambord liqueur; it's a nice combination.

#3,646 ·
ok, I'm a little lost on the Deke genetic connection...

The mother that Deke saw come thru the fear portal, was she supposed to be an older version of Simmons? Or is Simmons (and Fitz) actually his grandparents, not his parents? That would explain why the woman didn't look like Simmons. And the crack that Deke made to Fitz at the end.

#3,655 ·
I don't think time slot has anything to do with the show's content anymore. With every TV and cable box and streaming device offering some kind of parental controls, it's become irrelevant. While at the same time almost any form of graphic violence can be seen on the various cable channels anytime of day or on Netflix or on YouTube, easily accessible by any kid that knows how to use a computer.

With that said, Gotham is by far the most darkly graphic show I've seen in the 8 p.m. EST/PST time slot on one of the major networks.

#3,664 ·
So what could the Avengers do at this point?

Coulson: "Hey, Mr. Hulk, we think one of our inhuman agents will be responsible for destroying the planet. We know everything there is to know about what will happen because we spent several weeks in the future, but we don't know how to prevent the agent, Daisy, from intentionally or unintentionally triggering the cataclysm. We think we are stuck in some kind of self-perpetuating time-loop. What should we do?"

Hulk: "Smash Daisy!"

#3,666 ·
And then of course they find out it wasn't Daisy's fault.

#3,675 ·
Because they don't have the budget for the fx which would be required if the Avengers showed up.

Not to mention the salaries of the stars.
Yeah, we know the logistical reasons why none of the Avengers movie characters have appeared on the show. But narratively, it's kind of a big plot hole that SHIELD never thinks to ask the greatest superheroes in the world for help when the planet is on the verge of imminent destruction, especially when Coulson has had close working relationships with most of them.

"Coulson, don't you think it's time to call Captain America or Tony Stark?"
"Oh, I wouldn't want to inconvenience them. We better take care of this ourselves."

Reactions: mike1812
#3,676 ·
No. The Framework is not "back". Fitz appears to have had a psychotic break resulting in the "Leopold" aspect, revealed to him (and us) in the Framework, manifesting as a separate personality, ala, Fight Club.

Leopold was willing to make some choices that Fitz was unwilling to, but, he did not come from a revived framework, but rather from Fitz' psyche.

As for the Russian, what appeared on the ship was a LMD controlled by the severed, but still very much alive, head from before Aida entered the Framework.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.