AVS Forum banner

ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

182K views 4K replies 214 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·

Looks good. Coulson's back.
Cast looks a little bland, but hopefully we'll be seeing Cobie Smulders on a regular basis once HIMYM is over.

From the trailer it looks like the show is going to be centered around superheroes- I really hope ABC/Disney pumps a little extra $$$$ into this show

so the FX aren't their typical green-screen garbage like their more recent action/sci-fi stuff (V, etc). They've really been below par.

Share your thoughts.

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
It's on ABC. My hopes are not high.

It will either be cheesy family-fare like No Ordinary Family, or have a heavy romantic element to match the Lifetime Primetime mood of most of their other shows.

Clever Whedon-wit is what the show needs.

#5 ·
I'm betting that Disney learned it's lesson from No Ordinary Family. No Ordinary Family was basically the Fantastic Four IF you are too chicken to just go all out and make a TV show about the FF. IF they had made the FF instead of "No Ordinary Family" that show wouldn't have been cancelled after one season.

So I think they learned their lesson... Disney owns Marvel... use the characters... so I think SHIELD will do this right.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit  /t/1472730/abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-...f-s-h-i-e-l-d-tuesday-this-fall#post_23318085

Could be good but more likely not because it's on the wrong network. Will have to see if Joss can keep enough control over it to make it worth watching.

Both Marvel & ABC are owned by Disney, so outside of cable, not sure where else this could go....and it is very much a Marvel production, so I doubt the No Ordinary Family situation is going to go down here or that ABC will be meddling much. I mean, the network's OWNER handed this series over. A series produced by one of said owner's subsidiaries with a reputation for both fierce control & relatively high quality.

For me, this series - with its SHIELD folks investigating what look to be new cases each week - seems to be Fringe mashed up w/ the Marvel movie universe. I'm in!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi  /t/1472730/abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-...f-s-h-i-e-l-d-tuesday-this-fall#post_23316027

I really hope ABC/Disney pumps a little extra $$$$ into this show so the FX aren't their typical green-screen garbage like their more recent action/sci-fi stuff (V, etc). They've really been below par.

Share your thoughts.

The visual effects supervisor for S.H.I.E.L.D. is the same guy who oversaw the effects for No Ordinary Family, which was really kind of spotty and inconsistent. To try to fix the problem there, they kept switching VFX faculties, instead of changing out the supervisor that was telling them what to do. If you liked his work on NOF, then you'll probably love this show. If not, well then....maybe not so much.

I will say that I disagree with your general assessment that ABC's VFX shows are below par. The work on Once Upon A Time is fantastic, given the budget and time constraints of television. You can never do feature film effects on a TV budget and schedule that is 1/10th the money and time that a feature film gets. But Once Upon a Time really pushes the envelop of what's possible.

#12 ·
Can't say I ever thought the effects on NOF were the biggest issue for me. The son learning to perform heart surgery on his lunch break ranked much, much higher!

#13 ·
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Clark Gregg Teases 'Surprising' Superhero Appearances On ABC Series

Clark Gregg is seen at the Entertainment Weekly & ABC 2013 New York Upfront Party at The General on May 14, 2013 in New York City -- Getty Premium

S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Coulson worked with "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" in "The Avengers" and actor Clark Gregg says the superhero appearances will continue in the upcoming "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." TV series.

The actor told Access Hollywood he was thrilled his character, who appeared to die at the hands of Loki in "The Avengers," lived on to continue the fight against Marvel's villains.

"I got a call saying, 'We're going to take another step. This is the comic book universe, you might not be completely dead,'" he told Access.

"It's awesome for fans, it's really awesome for me," he continued.

Clark was tightlipped when it came to revealing which Marvel characters might appear on the ABC series, but he did say the fans will be happy with who shows up.

"We're out to kind of find the new threats and deal with old Marvel business and maybe you'll see some kind of surprising villains and surprising superheroes every once in a while," he continued.

Ming-Na Wen, who stars as Agent Melinda May, told Access she's been hard at work getting in shape for her new role.

"I just cleaned out my garage and I got my boxing gear, I'm ready!" she said. "Cross-training, biking, whatever it takes."

Adding, "This is such a dream job!"

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is slated to air on Tuesdays this fall on ABC.

-- Jesse Spero

#21 ·
Disney owns Marvel... Disney owns ABC... if SHIELD can't work on ABC then it can't work anywhere. This is the best shot for this show.

No Ordinary Family really should have been the Fantastic Four, but Marvel (and subsequently Disney by association) couldn't do that since FOX has the rights for that property... I strongly suspect they really wanted to do an FF show, but couldn't.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1472730/abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-...f-s-h-i-e-l-d-tuesday-this-fall#post_23748780

Disney owns Marvel... Disney owns ABC... if SHIELD can't work on ABC then it can't work anywhere. This is the best shot for this show.

ABC have a specific demo in mind with all their programming, as mentioned above. So going in the show has one strike against it just as shows on the CW do.

If SHIELD can't work on ABC then that only means that SHIELD can't work on ABC. It's no better fit for a superhero property than many other networks even if Disney do own it.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR  /t/1472730/abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-...f-s-h-i-e-l-d-tuesday-this-fall#post_23752369

It was posted they are already eyeing a spin off with one of the characters from the movie. The show hasn't even aired yet. Wow.

TBH, this makes sense -- to me, at least. I stated in another thread that Marvel/Disney must be given kudos for the business acumen they displayed in their brilliant execution of Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). They made a boatload of money in the last 5 years with the six films contained in Phase 1.

It seems very likely that they have a huge stratagy / business plan on how to roll out their superhero properties into MCU Phase 2 (obviously), and probably Phases 3 and beyond. With their expansion into TV happening now (S.H.I.E.L.D.) -- and as evidenced by the aforementioned talk of a TV spinoff -- they're probably planning three or four moves ahead in that arena right now. Hell, they're probably making plans to conquer the videogame market too... there's definitely lots of money to be made there.

It would be so interesting if someone inside the studio would leak a roadmap of all the planned future endeavors from Marvel/Disney. You have to believe such a document would rival product roadmaps from the likes of Apple or Intel

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1472730/abcs-joss-whedon-marvel-...-i-e-l-d-tuesday-this-fall/0_50#post_23750861

ABC have a specific demo in mind with all their programming, as mentioned above. So going in the show has one strike against it just as shows on the CW do.

If SHIELD can't work on ABC then that only means that SHIELD can't work on ABC. It's no better fit for a superhero property than many other networks even if Disney do own it.

Perhaps... but being something handled and owned completely in-house from top-to-bottom allows them to take some risks that they otherwise wouldn't take.

Disney will make money on Marvel theatrical releases... so SHIELD can be a marketing tool to help sell those movies and introduce characters... so they can lose a little money airing the show on ABC if they needed to... whereas CBS or FOX or NBC or whomever has no stake in the movies or the comic books or other merchandising, so they would not pick up a show like SHIELD unless it directly makes them money.

So... a marginal show on ABC could hang on due to the tie-ins and other revenue sources whereas any other network would be quicker with the axe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.