'Motive' on ABC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 115
One of many good shows now coming out of Canada. They point out the culprits and victims at the very beginning and then take you along for the ride as the detectives figure it all out. I hope ABC gives this show a chance to grow an audience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm confused by the episode orders confused.gif
I watched it last night(episode 101) but they keep saying the premier is tomorrow night(episode 102) confused.gif
Then according to Tivo next weeks episode will be number 104 confused.gif
Anyway I thought ep 101 was just OK, it seemed the end came kind of quick and didn't have a whole lot to show for it.
Ya I also noticed this was another Shaw production, busy Canadians but IMO this isn't another Rookie Blue or even Saving Hope......we'll see, I've setup the premiere confused.gif to record.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I liked the first episode,strange though in that i have a season pass andmy tivo didnt have the checkmark to show it would be recorded ,also with thursday episode either so i had to manually set it to record,hopefully my tivo will record the next episode for me.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunately ABC has a history of confusing the viewers and then blaming them when the show doesn't build a following.

Flashpoint was my favorite Canadian drama. I'm hoping this show can aim toward that. smile.gif
post #5 of 16 Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I haven't had a chance to watch the first episode yet, but it kind of sounds like a much less clever version of "Columbo" - likely with a much less compelling investigator(s).

I'll give it a shot to see if it works for me, but the fact that they're trying to sell it as some clever, never before done idea worries me.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
OK, I'm confused, I watched a repeat the other night, this was the student killer/teacher victim.

So is this show set on the 80's? lots of 80's cars, but I think I saw modern computers someplace, correct me if I'm wrong..

ROFL @ ABC they just cancelled Body of Proof, this show is almost the same, just put Jeri Ryan as a Detective and that's it (same red head M.E)

It's been a long time since I saw Lauren Holly...

We also have the SGU captain guy...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I haven't had a chance to watch the first episode yet, but it kind of sounds like a much less clever version of "Columbo" - likely with a much less compelling investigator(s).

Never could stand Columbo even when I visited their stage back in the day... so Motive is better by default. I though Kristin Lehman's character had enough moxie to make it mildly interesting... she appeared to be carrying the show. Not sure how many times I could sit through it unless they develop a story line that goes somewhere beyond the gimmick.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Never could stand Columbo even when I visited their stage back in the day... so Motive is better by default. I though Lauren Holly's character had enough moxie to make it mildly interesting... she appeared to be carrying the show. Not sure how many times I could sit through it unless they develop a story line that goes somewhere beyond the gimmick.

You lost me at "Never could stand Columbo".
post #9 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

Lost me, too.

Columbo was a genius format with a great character.

I'm not sure what to make of this. They reveal the victim and the suspect, then seem to try to hide it from the audience partway in as though they thought they'd try to fool us, then sum it up in the last few minutes with them asking why he did it? So, the kid tells us and...it's like nothing....and it made me feel like I didn't care and wasn't sure why the police should either. They got their suspect with plenty of evidence and a confession. The motive is for his lawyer to propes to the DA if it might help reduce the sentence or for the D.A. to propose to the jury to further cement the case. The police wouldn't bother wasting the time with it at that point.

It would have been nice if they had done a better job of setting up potential red herring motives, like they almost did when it seemed like he was setting up his friend. Instead, it just seems to come out of nowhere via an explainer. That's kind of lame.

They could have leaned it toward him having a grudge against the friend, then maybe push it toward it being about being picked on at school (perhaps the teacher didn't stop it), then finally they come across the notebook and it all comes out. You can't just have the suspect admit the motive at the end. It ends up being like CSI where the suspect almost always confesses to Brass...

I almost wish they had simply done it full on Columbo style and showed the investigators figuring it out and encountering all the clues we alreay saw. That kind of cat and mouse game was always fun as we see Columbo encountering the evidence and seeing him slowly zero in on his prey.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

Lost me, too.

Columbo was a genius format with a great character.

I'm not sure what to make of this. They reveal the victim and the suspect, then seem to try to hide it from the audience partway in as though they thought they'd try to fool us, then sum it up in the last few minutes with them asking why he did it? So, the kid tells us and...it's like nothing....and it made me feel like I didn't care and wasn't sure why the police should either. They got their suspect with plenty of evidence and a confession. The motive is for his lawyer to propes to the DA if it might help reduce the sentence or for the D.A. to propose to the jury to further cement the case. The police wouldn't bother wasting the time with it at that point.

It would have been nice if they had done a better job of setting up potential red herring motives, like they almost did when it seemed like he was setting up his friend. Instead, it just seems to come out of nowhere via an explainer. That's kind of lame.

They could have leaned it toward him having a grudge against the friend, then maybe push it toward it being about being picked on at school (perhaps the teacher didn't stop it), then finally they come across the notebook and it all comes out. You can't just have the suspect admit the motive at the end. It ends up being like CSI where the suspect almost always confesses to Brass...

I almost wish they had simply done it full on Columbo style and showed the investigators figuring it out and encountering all the clues we alreay saw. That kind of cat and mouse game was always fun as we see Columbo encountering the evidence and seeing him slowly zero in on his prey.

Gee, I miss "Monk."
post #11 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Gee, I miss "Monk."
I miss the first few seasons of Monk.

In the later seasons, he seemed to get really inconsiderate and downright disrespectful of others in his quirks. Instead of being helpless and oblivious to the effect his tics had on others, he seemed not to care when he clearly should have known the negative effect his neurosis had on others.

Instead of growing to appreciate the assistance and accommodation others gave him while taking steps to improve himself, he shifted toward taking advantage of the few friends he had.

His progression toward the end was like the guy at work that mooches off you whenever you get a bag of chips from the machine. Then, when the company adds a fridge to the break room, he starts eating the lunches people put in it - then leaves the dirty dish behind.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Gee, I miss "Monk."

Against the grain once again. Never could stand that as well.

post #13 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Not bad epi, Man that guy should have busted the smugglers and have his big hit, but that chick had him hypnotized, yeah it was a hard stretch that she'll like him

post #14 of 16 Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm really enjoying this series. Kind of a combination of Columbo (telling you right off the bat who the victim and killer is) and Flashpoint (bringing the human element to each week's crime). Tonight's episode was great. The story evolves to make you realize that everything is not black and white. After seeing everything that happened, who is the real victim here?

For those who have not watched this series, tonight's episode would be a great place to start. smile.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked this episode also...

I think the main detective is some kind of lying detector person, she asks 'truth testing" questions to people involved then she sees patterns of lying later..

The killer asked too many questions when the detectives met her at the beginning, although they begin to suspect her when they saw her visiting the open house before meeting the victim's wife.
tomhunter8 likes this.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Major flaw in the writing for the 12th episode. The solving of the case hinged on the event shown.

Problem was that hotels like these do not send food to the rooms via the customer elevators. There are service elevators that are used for food delivery, maid service, maintenance, etc. Because of that, the person that delivered the food would not have been able to see the killer in gym clothes. That was a key piece of evidence that caused the detectives to look through the surveillance videos. They never would have picked up on the killer otherwise.

They "might" have come around via the court case. But definitely not via her being seen by the food delivery person.

As smart as she was putting the plan together, she would not have been dumb enough to throw the water bottle away at the hotel. Key evidence like that leaves with you.

I liked the episode. Too bad about the minor flaws biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page