MasterChef on FOX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 143 Old 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I enjoy all of Gordon Ramsey's shows, but I feel this is his best. Joe and Graham work very well with him in the evaluations. I do get a little annoyed when they come back from commercial and have to repeat the last 30 seconds. Krissy plays her role as the annoying one very well, but I don't understand how she is still there making low end diner food --- Mac & Cheese ??? Let me guess - wedding soup is next?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 117
This is my favorite Ramsay show because he tones it down and seems almost human. Each judge brings something different: Gordon has that authority personality, Graham seems like a genuinely nice guy, and Joe always trying to be the tough guy (even though you can tell he really is a nice guy behind the tough exterior). I also love the format of amateur chefs competing like professionals in extremely difficult tests.

I think most of the home cooks on this show can out cook most of the "professional" chefs on Hell's Kitchen.

BTW, the very first season of the British version of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares was excellent because he was truly trying to help out struggling restaurants & chefs. Unfortunately, as the series went on it became more formulaic and "Ramsey going crazy" centric like we see in the American version. It's also even better on Netflix because they don't bleep out the language. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I watch this show ...
But I can't help to sometimes think how obvious it is that the judges seem favor people, & also, never, ever, ever have a differing opinion on the food ... ever.
If one of the judges is the 1st to go down & sample the cook's dish, & decides to say the flavors don't mesh, or whatever, the other judges, every single time, every episode of every season, one by one walk down, taste, & agree 100% w/ judge number 1 ..
Likwise if the 1st tasting judge claims the dish is tasty, good or great, the other judges are in bootstep ...
Other shows, , such as Chopped, Top Chef, Iron Chef ect, often have a judge or 2 liking what other judge(s) didn't like , & even an occasional verbal disagreement ... It almost doesn't seem possible that the judges agree on every single dish presented in every episode by every chef ....

Last edited by MeatChicken; 06-17-2014 at 01:24 PM.
post #4 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 667
They also don't show everything. Alot of stuff is left out in the final show.

I have been enjoying this season so far. I think it's better streamlined without all the extra stuff going city to city picking the contestants.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I really enjoy this show every year, last night was easily predictable for me. Soon as I saw the mystery box my first thought was a seafood stew. I knew after the tasting Ahran would win. I knew she would pick doughnuts for the challenge, I was on fire. Great show, I will always wait for it to come around each year.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #6 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I love Ramsay so this is must-see TV for me. I am enjoying the streamlined format myself, however I do notice that they do not taste everyone's food. Last night they skipped Willie's doughnuts, which I thought was kind of weird.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #7 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I love Ramsay so this is must-see TV for me. I am enjoying the streamlined format myself, however I do notice that they do not taste everyone's food. Last night they skipped Willie's doughnuts, which I thought was kind of weird.
I think Willie ate them all before they had the chance.

I love this show too, but this is two weeks in a row that Courtney should have gone home. They're got to be keeping her around for the drama and not for her cooking.
post #8 of 143 Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I love this show too, but this is two weeks in a row that Courtney should have gone home. They're got to be keeping her around for the drama and not for her cooking.

I still think they see more in her cooking over people that have been sent home.
CruelInventions likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #9 of 143 Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

LOL!

My son and I both agree she should go but as you said, drama.

post #10 of 143 Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
We watch but I fast forward a lot.

post #11 of 143 Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ahran was very bratty last night. I used to like her but I couldn't understand what's the big deal about mispronuncing her name. Her name is Ah-ran, like I-ran. But she wanted it to be pronounced like Ah-ron which is fine but people will make mistake if you wanted unconventional pronunciation.

She actually makes me like Leslie more. And Courtney is really showing her class or lack of thereof.

I didn't really know there was a "Jordan" in the show up to until the pressure test. So it was pretty safe to predict that he'll be sent home last night.
post #12 of 143 Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I knew watching the distracting and not doing anything at all Jordan would be sent off, we still need to know the whole cast, I have no idea about some of the contestants until they are put to the real test.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #13 of 143 Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Ahran was very bratty last night. I used to like her but I couldn't understand what's the big deal about mispronuncing her name. Her name is Ah-ran, like I-ran. But she wanted it to be pronounced like Ah-ron which is fine but people will make mistake if you wanted unconventional pronunciation.

She actually makes me like Leslie more. And Courtney is really showing her class or lack of thereof.

I didn't really know there was a "Jordan" in the show up to until the pressure test. So it was pretty safe to predict that he'll be sent home last night.

uh, they've been there how long? He was intentionally mispronouncing her name to get under her skin (he did it at the end too!) He's a real-life troll and has shown it episode by episode. It's a shame, because he does seem to have some diverse cooking skills. He deserved every bit of disrespect that she dished back at him.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #14 of 143 Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
uh, they've been there how long? He was intentionally mispronouncing her name to get under her skin (he did it at the end too!) He's a real-life troll and has shown it episode by episode. It's a shame, because he does seem to have some diverse cooking skills. He deserved every bit of disrespect that she dished back at him.
I have to agree and I really hope he goes home soon.

post #15 of 143 Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I have to agree and I really hope he goes home soon.
I hope he stays until the end. Ahran definitely had an attitude and admitted she did not want to be on his team.

I wish his choices were the ones in the pressure test.

LED DLP

post #16 of 143 Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Facebook is full of speculation that Ahran doesn't want her name to sound like Iran so she changed it to I-RON. Also, Facebook has an apologetic letter from Ahran for this incident too. It's not fair to ask an 56 year old to just take it from a 18 year old while the 18 year old hides under the security of being much younger in front of TV.

A lot of people mis-pronounce other people's name but they don't freak out because of that like the sky is coming down.

The other bone Ahran has was Leslie didn't communicate. It's bad on Leslie but at least he's big enough to tell people he's not a great leader. The team turned on Leslie from the get go. Remember the last chanllenge Leslie told the team not to do chickens, and later the chickens were grilled raw. Nobody paid him any mind but he was right on the money.

When you are picked on a team, you give your best to that team. You can't just quite because you think Leslie doesn't communicate. Francis B did the right thing.

Ahran probably didn't behave any worse than a typical 18 year old but that doesn't mean it's right. And she turned on Courtney in the last episode because Courtney is not "real".

Last edited by darklord700; 06-26-2014 at 07:59 AM.
post #17 of 143 Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have enormous respect for Leslie for the way he handled the insult of his team mutineering in the challenge for a lack of leadership while he was literally imploring everyone to ask him if they had any questions. On top of that insult, the spoilt brat Ahron throws up a ****-storm for the rest of the challenge because he mispronounced her name and she did not want to be on his team. The immature brat has talent but she deserves to be brought down a couple of notches.

Leslie has some mad culinary skills and this is the paramount qualification for MasterChef. If your cooking skills can't match the trash talk, I don't have any respect for you. I follow many cooking competitions on Food Network as well, but this show has the absolute best elements - interesting contestants, challenging assignments, judges with a virtuoso talent for drama, etc. The competing shows on Food Network seem to fall short in the way they choose contestants for drama instead of cooking skills. MasterChef remains the gold standard for cooking competition shows, and we eagerly await every new episode.
post #18 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still not convinced... donuts and fried stake doesn't make you a Chef.. let's see further down the road..

post #19 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I'm still not convinced... donuts and fried stake doesn't make you a Chef.. let's see further down the road..
Yes those stakes would taste terrible. Like eating burnt wood.
jandron, mike1812 and Nayan like this.

LED DLP

post #20 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
MasterChef remains the gold standard for cooking competition shows, and we eagerly await every new episode.
This show has just the right amount of drama to make us care or not care about the contestants. The tension manufactured by the crew or by the contestants themselves makes this show additive.

Last edited by darklord700; 06-27-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #21 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm also not a fan of fried stakes, for more butter and stuff you put in them, nothing like a good grill for your meat, last time I ate one fried stake tasted like rubber..

(on certain chain of restaurants that server t-bone and eggs)

post #22 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
MasterChef remains the gold standard for cooking competition shows, and we eagerly await every new episode.
I have to disagree ...
Top Chef is & will remain the gold standard of cooking competition shows.....
post #23 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
I have to disagree ...
Top Chef is & will remain the gold standard of cooking competition shows.....
I can respect that argument. Top Chef is also a very high caliber show, and for my taste, it falls just a notch short of matching MasterChef for me. YMMV.
post #24 of 143 Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
I'm also not a fan of fried stakes, for more butter and stuff you put in them, nothing like a good grill for your meat, last time I ate one fried stake tasted like rubber..

(on certain chain of restaurants that server t-bone and eggs)

Maybe your stake was harvested from a Gum Tree?
post #25 of 143 Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I want to charitably suggest that English is a second language for DrLar because he doesn't seem to realize the difference between stake and steak. As far as the show goes, my wife watches it and I swore I'd never watch one of these 'cooked' cooking shows but darned if I didn't get hooked after 10 minutes, I know I'm being manipulated and most of the drama is concocted but it's just damn fine TV. And I guess it says something about me that I remember Courtney and Leslie but have a hard time remembering anyone else.
post #26 of 143 Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 PM

Shocking ending of tonight's show. But rules are rules so at least the integrity of the show is intact with this decision.
post #27 of 143 Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post
I want to charitably suggest that English is a second language for DrLar because he doesn't seem to realize the difference between stake and steak. As far as the show goes, my wife watches it and I swore I'd never watch one of these 'cooked' cooking shows but darned if I didn't get hooked after 10 minutes, I know I'm being manipulated and most of the drama is concocted but it's just damn fine TV. And I guess it says something about me that I remember Courtney and Leslie but have a hard time remembering anyone else.
It's my bad fingers.. if course I meant steak.. ROFL..

So they introduce to us now the background contestants, while Leslie, I think, didn't spoke a word in the show!

I thought Big Willie was going to be the one leaving but saved by that guy's "mistake"

post #28 of 143 Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Shocking ending of tonight's show. But rules are rules so at least the integrity of the show is intact with this decision.
Agreed. A couple that could of went home were saved but it was a fair decision. Let's see how well they do at Surf and Turf next week .

post #29 of 143 Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Jamiee looked lost for a couple of episodes already, I predict she will be leaving soon. Also, Dan hasn't muttered a word for a while now so his remaining time in the kitchen won't be long.
post #30 of 143 Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Has Jaimee's speech impediment worsen or is she faking it? on her twitter account she claims to be having some neural treatment or something?

I don't recall her struggling to talk this much..

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page