Primeval: New World - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I was looking forward to the return of Primeval & guess this is it. I watched the first showing in the USA on SyFy and plan on watching the next. From what I can tell it looks like only one season was made & shown in Canada & that's the end of it already.

If you're setting your DVR for New episodes be careful. My newspaper guide & satellite EPG both do not list the 2nd episode as New for some reason. The EPG lists the original broadcast date which appears to be from Canada's showing last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 678
I really enjoyed the first season of 'Primeval' - what? 6 or 7 years ago? - and part of the second, but it seemed to go downhill from there as members of the original cast drifted away. I don't know how much flavor and cast from the original is left over in this latest incarnation. Have to find it on the schedule and check it out. I believe it was originally conceived so that the creators of the doc 'Walking with Dinosaurs' could get a little more mileage out of their CGI creations.
post #3 of 76 Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's an all new & different cast from the original UK program. There were a few minutes where one member of the UK show appeared & talked to the new group, but that was it. According to the episode guide he supposed to be in the final episode also. I find it entertaining & plan on watching again.
post #4 of 76 Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 115

I stopped watching the UK version shortly after the second season started. I quite enjoyed this new Canadian version though.

post #5 of 76 Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I enjoyed the pilot episode. It had more dino's in this one episode than all of Terra Nova.biggrin.gif

I had no idea this was a remake of a UK show.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #6 of 76 Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I liked the first episode just fine. Since I know already that it's a one series show, I am watching it without any sense of a broader storyline. The nod to the original cast member was only there to confirm to the current cast that this is something very serious, and completely unnecessary. Still I like to have seen him again, if he only had three lines.

Zane from Eureka!

The UK series took a real turn after the second season, but it ended in a grand manner that I really enjoyed. Alexander Sidig (sp) makes a really great creepy villain. That isn't really a spoiler. Anyone can tell he is THE nasty villain from the first moment he's on screen.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 76 Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I don't really consider this a spoiler... but I'll tag it anyway: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Be warned- the last episode they filmed ended in a major cliffhanger- didn't stop me from enjoying the (short lived) series anyway.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #8 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What happened to this show?

It was scheduled to record later today but when I checked my DVR it was no longer scheduled. I did a search & Episode #8 shows up on Tues at 12:00am and is not listed as new. So I re-set the DVR to get this since it's not listed as new.
post #9 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

What happened to this show?

It was scheduled to record later today but when I checked my DVR it was no longer scheduled. I did a search & Episode #8 shows up on Tues at 12:00am and is not listed as new. So I re-set the DVR to get this since it's not listed as new.

Rumor has it it's been cancelled because of low ratings in Canada, which means Syfy has exiled it to "burn off theater". Guess folks up there don't care about the "dino of the week" plotlines. The original British show had long-running conspiracy plotlines that made it a guilty pleasure, at least for the first two seasons. Ironically, the CGI dinos were better in this version, as one would expect with the march of technology. But there just wasn't anything there to capture the interest of fans looking for something more meaty to sink their teeth into, so to speak. That's my guess, anyway.

Bummer. I loves me some man-eating dinos, and a TV world without them is a more boring place. I was one of the three people (it seemed) who actually liked 'Terra Nova'. frown.gif
post #10 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Rumor has it it's been cancelled..
Not rumor- fact!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #11 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know it was cancelled in Canada, but I thought that was before SyFy ever started showing it. IOW SyFy knew it was a cancelled program from the start. It's as if they're now surprised that it's not a highly rated show.

We liked Terra Nova, so makes 5 people. smile.gif
post #12 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Bummer it's been canceled. Liked the show. frown.gif

post #13 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know it was cancelled in Canada, but I thought that was before SyFy ever started showing it. IOW SyFy knew it was a cancelled program from the start.

Do we know that for sure? If that's the case, then this scheduling move is odd.

But maybe not terribly strange, after all. This is essentially what they did to 'Charlie Jade', a joint Canadian/South African production that was airing in Europe. Only, at the time, there was hope for a CJ second season. The SciFi Channel, as they called themselves at the time, pretty much dashed those hopes as soon as they moved it to the coveted 2:00 AM Tuesday morning time slot, presumably bumping an infomercial for Ginsu Knives.
post #14 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Word up is Canader's govt wanted it cancelled...too many tourists scared away from Vancouver's Stanley Park.

Liked the premise. The execution, characters and lame plot made me abandon what I thought would be a guilty pleasure fun series.
post #15 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Rumor has it it's been cancelled because of low ratings in Canada, which means Syfy has exiled it to "burn off theater". Guess folks up there don't care about the "dino of the week" plotlines. The original British show had long-running conspiracy plotlines that made it a guilty pleasure, at least for the first two seasons. Ironically, the CGI dinos were better in this version, as one would expect with the march of technology. But there just wasn't anything there to capture the interest of fans looking for something more meaty to sink their teeth into, so to speak. That's my guess, anyway.

Bummer. I loves me some man-eating dinos, and a TV world without them is a more boring place. I was one of the three people (it seemed) who actually liked 'Terra Nova'. frown.gif
This series actually does have an over-arching story in it with some interesting paradoxical scenarios. I liked the show and hoped that it would continue, too bad they cancelled it.
post #16 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to the SyFy website it supposed to return on August 10 at 5/4c.
http://www.syfy.com/primeval

Still weird they are showing episode 8 on Tues, July 30 at 1:00am/12:00am. Of course that's subject to change.
post #17 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

According to the SyFy website it supposed to return on August 10 at 5/4c.
http://www.syfy.com/primeval

Still weird they are showing episode 8 on Tues, July 30 at 1:00am/12:00am. Of course that's subject to change.

I just did the same search it seems everyone else did with the same results. I enjoyed the show also.

I also enjoyed Terra Nova - that makes six of us!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #18 of 76 Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Ever since they got that god forsaken wrestling they have screwed up their schedule, I would swear they hired the scheduling dept from ABC, this is the kind of crap they pull all the time. But, why in the world would they schedule Sinbad and Primeval on Saturday night, and move their normal Saturday night Terrible movies to Thursdays? They schedule programs to guarantee failure and then screw around with it even more, for no reason, it's not like they have some great replacement for the shows to run in their place.
post #19 of 76 Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65

Since both shows were cancelled months before Syfy scheduled them, they probably weren't all that interested in giving them premium timeslots during the week. Thursdays were usually programmed with movies, so they figured their (2 a month) Sat nite crapfests would fit in there and hopefully get higher ratings to boot.

The higher ratings didn't happen though.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #20 of 76 Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65

In the Sharknado thread, I assumed that both Sinbad and PNW, must have been performing well enough because Syfy hadn't yanked them earlier. It seems as that was wrong.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/07/24/syfy-to-wrap-sinbad-primeval-new-world-early-with-marathons-62011/10465/

A 1.0 for New World is just slightly under what the Monday scripted shows did. Color me surprised that Sinbad lasted this long with numbers it got. Sadly, the high ratings of their Sat B feats will only encourage them to keep devoting resources for more of them....

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #21 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Went to watch the latest PNW on my DVR, only to find it was Children of the Corn. Even though it was labeled as the latest episode of PNW. C'mon, Syfy.

post #22 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Went to watch the latest PNW on my DVR, only to find it was Children of the Corn. Even though it was labeled as the latest episode of PNW. C'mon, Syfy.

Syfy has removed it from their schedule due to ratings. The entire thirteen episodes will be shown Aug 10th.

http://www.syfy.com/schedule/?search=primeval

Unless of course they change their minds yet again. For a show on its way out, consistency is the last thing on the mind of the schedulers.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #23 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully Hulu gets it in the same batch. If SyFy is going to dump them, I wonder if Hulu could get them without the normal wait...

v/r,
C-F
post #24 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Syfy has removed it from their schedule due to ratings. The entire thirteen episodes will be shown Aug 10th.

Beat me to it. According to D*'s guide, the "new" episodes start at 6pm(ET) Saturday, 8/10, not counting the one that supposedly ran at 2am this morning. I haven't yet checked to see if that was actually a P:NW episode that recorded..
post #25 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
They might pawn it off to Netflix too. The first season of Continuum was available Netflix WI after it concluded on Syfy. Easier to watch that way with no bleaping either.
post #26 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I got the same for this morning's early recording.

Aug 10 is coming up & hopefully SyFy will really have all the remaining episodes.
post #27 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the same for this morning's early recording.

Aug 10 is coming up & hopefully SyFy will really have all the remaining episodes.

As of last night, the entire series (marathon) was scheduled for Aug 10 according to D* ... then my DVR decided to barf this afternoon ... the guide data is still repopulating.
post #28 of 76 Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

As of last night, the entire series (marathon) was scheduled for Aug 10 according to D* ... then my DVR decided to barf this afternoon ... the guide data is still repopulating.

lmfao
post #29 of 76 Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Even though according to syfy.com the last episode scheduled to run on August 10 is the final ep of the series, The Sounds Of Thunder - Part 2, my DVR (TiVo) is showing the 10 pm episode as The Great Escape. Erg.
post #30 of 76 Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Even though according to syfy.com the last episode scheduled to run on August 10 is the final ep of the series, The Sounds Of Thunder - Part 2, my DVR (TiVo) is showing the 10 pm episode as The Great Escape. Erg.

Wouldn't be the first time that an episode has wound up with two different titles ... My D* DVR has recovered enough to agree with your TiVo.

"New" episodes (for Syfy folks) start at 5:00pm ET with "Truth." Six in total.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page