post #541 of 748 Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

They haven't been shown to be able to "hop" to a different timeline.

The Freelancers have. Liber8 just needs to get its hands on the magic timeline-hopping chair that Kiera used to abandon the dying timeline in the season premiere. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 748 Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The Freelancers have. Liber8 just needs to get its hands on the magic timeline-hopping chair that Kiera used to abandon the dying timeline in the season premiere. tongue.gif

They haven't ever shown it.

The freelancers just go back in time the same way Kiera, Liber8, and Alec have.

I haven't seen any evidence of anyone hopping from one timeline to another. IF you stay in the timeline too long and it collapses, then you get wiped out... but if you go back in time to a point before the timeline collapsed you can fix it and keep it from collapsing. That's the only way they have shown anyone effectively going from one timeline to another... they basically are using Back-to-the-Future rules where if you make a change, your future no longer exists... but you can go back to before the change happened and fix the broken stuff to restore your future.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #543 of 748 Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I think this thread proves that either the storyline is too complex or the writers are meandering, because if the people who like the show (like myself) are having trouble keeping up or figuring out what is going on, then something is wrong. Each episode we watch, my wife asks "Are you done with this yet?" I couldn't get enough of the first season, but I'm quickly losing interest in the second season.
post #544 of 748 Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I like the show and don't have any problems following what's going on and on and on and on ....... smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #545 of 748 Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I couldn't get enough of the first season, but I'm quickly losing interest in the second season.

This is the third season. Are you losing time? tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 

You must have missed the massive visual effects sequence in the season premiere where Kiera had to use the magic chair to abandon her dying timeline before she got wiped out. That's how she managed to catch up with Alec.
post #546 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't get enough of the first season, but I'm quickly losing interest in the second season.

This is the third season. Are you losing time? tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 

You must have missed the massive visual effects sequence in the season premiere where Kiera had to use the magic chair to abandon her dying timeline before she got wiped out. That's how she managed to catch up with Alec.

Wow, I guess that really shows how much my interest has waned. biggrin.gif
post #547 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I disagree, I think it has gotten better and more interesting as it has gone along. Although my wife abandoned it too back in season 1.
JimP and Wytchone like this.
post #548 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

IF you stay in the timeline too long and it collapses, then you get wiped out... but if you go back in time to a point before the timeline collapsed you can fix it and keep it from collapsing. That's the only way they have shown anyone effectively going from one timeline to another... they basically are using Back-to-the-Future rules where if you make a change, your future no longer exists... but you can go back to before the change happened and fix the broken stuff to restore your future.

And that's the basic problem with all time travel stories I think. It becomes a muddled mess where even the writers get confused. Fringe is about the only show I've ever seen that kept all its timelines straight.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #549 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

I disagree, I think it has gotten better and more interesting as it has gone along. Although my wife abandoned it too back in season 1.

Could not agree more! Season is fine. And if Keria does what she needs it could be reset, a reboot or pick up where it left off. We will not know till season is over.
post #550 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Could not agree more! Season is fine. And if Keria does what she needs it could be reset, a reboot or pick up where it left off. We will not know till season is over.

I like the show too.

But I would disagree with one point. When the show is finally shut down, they may or may not have enough unwritten episodes and time left to bring the series to a halfway logical (as logical as scifi gets) conclusion.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #551 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not what happened.

She was at a point in the timeline where things had become so different that the freelancers' future was collapsing... and it was working its way back to the present... and the only way to prevent it was to go back in time to a point before Alec had irrevocably changed that timeline.

That's what she did.

She didn't hop to another continuum. There is no timeline hopping in this show. There is only time travel... and to be completely fair, they haven't shown anyone going forward in time so far. People have only been going backwards. Maybe they can go forwards... I don't know... but so far people have only been going back in time.

So... Kiera goes back in time with Liber8... stuff happens... Alec goes back in time to save his girlfriend... The freelancers show Kiera that the timeline is collapsing due to something Alec changed when he went back... so they send Kiera back to a time before Alec made that change (basically a week ago same as how far Alec had went back)... and for the moment it seems like they avoided the major change that was collapsing the timeline.

But nobody has been jumping from one timeline to the other. They are just travelling back in time in whatever timeline they are a part of and making changes.
Keenan and lokar like this.

post #552 of 748 Old 05-30-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I disagree, but I don't really care about this show enough to debate it, so I'll let it go instead of writing a wall of text. tongue.gif
post #553 of 748 Old 05-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was surprised with last night's episode, "Minute of Silence" that the security guards at the first place didn't shoot the thief.

It looks like things may be getting more complicated.
post #554 of 748 Old 06-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Ok then assuming you are right (there are diverging discussions on the nature of time travel and what happens when someone does it) how do you explain the two kiera's and the two alec's. Because in my understanding of physics and relativity and all the time travel stuff by hawkins kerr etc you can't have 2 identical things in the same place. However, if your quantum signature is different you can. So Yes that fabously old chai tossed her into a new timeline because we don't know that even moving backwards in time causes you to jump to another timeline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox#Multiple_universes_hypothesis

It is my belief that continuum time orange functions following the second through five hypothesis (for those unwilling to click the link: Multiple universes hypothesis, [season one finale establishes this] Branching universe hypothesis [This was displayed during the season opener] Timeline corruption hypothesis and Erased timeline hypothesis [evidenced by her having a need to use the fabulous chair rather than a time travel orange].

post #555 of 748 Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethunderclap View Post

Ok then assuming you are right (there are diverging discussions on the nature of time travel and what happens when someone does it) how do you explain the two kiera's and the two alec's. Because in my understanding of physics and relativity and all the time travel stuff by hawkins kerr etc you can't have 2 identical things in the same place. However, if your quantum signature is different you can. So Yes that fabously old chai tossed her into a new timeline because we don't know that even moving backwards in time causes you to jump to another timeline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox#Multiple_universes_hypothesis

It is my belief that continuum time orange functions following the second through five hypothesis (for those unwilling to click the link: Multiple universes hypothesis, [season one finale establishes this] Branching universe hypothesis [This was displayed during the season opener] Timeline corruption hypothesis and Erased timeline hypothesis [evidenced by her having a need to use the fabulous chair rather than a time travel orange].

Sorry, but that's just too much homework for a TV show.
JimP likes this.
post #556 of 748 Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I like science fiction, especially the rigorously defined "hard" SF that has at least a root in science even though it's branched off. I'm a fairly smart science guy with engineering patents so I can understand some abstract stuff. This show seems somewhat incoherent in it's SF premise at the time and has me admittedly confused. Since I really like Keira the protagonist (the actress has a math degree) , Carlos (but in a manly man way) and Alex I'm sticking with the show and assuming that the writers have a core theme that simply escapes me at this juncture. It's not a great show but it can be entertaining when it's not lecturing us.
post #557 of 748 Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, but that's just too much homework for a TV show.

Not to mention all made up by somebody.

Its more likely that we're all shape shifters which you can prove up to a point by the weight many of us gain.

post #558 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Not a fan of this latest episode, the last thing this show needs is more characters with unclear backgrounds and motives.
post #559 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Not a fan of this latest episode, the last thing this show needs is more characters with unclear backgrounds and motives.

I disagree, I found this episode one of the better ones and the thing that kept me interested was who is this person and what is his background. Especially after he proved to be able to better that dude in hand to hand combat.

post #560 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 714
My guess is the act of travelling through time, for this guy, messed up his memory. So, he could be anybody - another freelancer, another Protector, or even a double agent sent specifically to get to Kiera. One thing's for sure - Curtis recognized him and was none too happy to see him.
post #561 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I kept thinking they would lead you to him being from further in the future than Kiera... and that the reveal would be that he was her son grown up. It had all the Terminator stuff going for it... He only remembers her name... he happens to be there to save her life... and while she doesn't know who he is, she inherently trusts him to the point where she felt the need to say it out loud. Those are all the earmarks of a "I'm your grown up son from the further further future sent back to save you" storyline.

Meanwhile...

Since time travel is not possible (I know someone will argue with me about that), trying to explain this show with pure science will fail.

That said... The reason why there are 2 of some people? Different shows do it different ways. This show just doesn't seem to be using the "there can only be one" rule. We as viewers *might* be able to assume though that the timeline eventually corrects itself. Kiera's younger self was killed... so now the only duplicate we seem to have is Alec... and there's always the notion of eventually one of them has to die either to "save the world" or through a noble self-sacrifice on one of the Alec's part.

To me it seems pretty straightforward, though... there was an original timeline before time travel was discovered. We don't know if we ever saw that timeline, though... for all we know we jumped into the middle of the story after people had already been mucking about. Anyway, people go back and change stuff... the future is different... sometimes it collapses some versions of the future so that some people cease to exist. Other times it seems like time self-corrects and the future is mostly intact.

post #562 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't expect Time Travel to be scientific because in its essence it is not given our understanding of physics. What I DO expect is that the writers have a set of consistent made up time travel science rules that constrain the plot. If anything can happen without restriction then the story is pure fantasy and loses my interest. Others prefer unrestricted fantasy stories.
post #563 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I was totally expecting him to be Kiera's son, because a) hers was the only name he knew and b) they've dropped all her family sequences from the future.
post #564 of 748 Old 06-02-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I was totally expecting him to be Kiera's son,

I guess that makes three of us.
post #565 of 748 Old 06-03-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Cancelled or renewed?
In a state of quantum uncertainty...

http://seriable.com/continuum-cancelled-renewed-season-4/

Status: Showcase has yet to cancel or renew Continuum for Season 4. The show has become more serialized over time, raising the renewal stakes for a story which could span a decade. A fourth season renewal by Showcase would likely see Syfy follow suit and air Season 4 in the U.S.

May 14 – Creator Simon Barry has 7-10 seasons in mind to tell the full Continuum story, while Rachel Nichols confirms story plans for Season 4 are already underway, pre-renewal.

Let's hope Keira alters the timeline to one that keeps the show
post #566 of 748 Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Showcase didn't renew Continuum for a third season until June 5, so maybe the announcement regarding the fourth season is almost here.
post #567 of 748 Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Showcase didn't renew Continuum for a third season until June 5, so maybe the announcement regarding the fourth season is almost here.

Hope it makes the cut, this is one of my favorite shows right now.
post #568 of 748 Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Hope it makes the cut, this is one of my favorite shows right now.

+1 on that, I would definitely miss this one, especially if the creator has a genuine ending and storyline already mapped out. I remember sweating out B5.
post #569 of 748 Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

+1 on that, I would definitely miss this one, especially if the creator has a genuine ending and storyline already mapped out. I remember sweating out B5.

'Babylon 5' really should have ended after the fourth season when the main story arc wrapped up. That was a case of a show going on too long, kind of like 'Dexter'. And don't get me started on 'Crusade' - that mess should have been aborted before it ever got to production.
post #570 of 748 Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

'Babylon 5' really should have ended after the fourth season when the main story arc wrapped up. That was a case of a show going on too long, kind of like 'Dexter'. And don't get me started on 'Crusade' - that mess should have been aborted before it ever got to production.

I disagree, season #4 had more to tell, but since he didn't know if he was going to make it to season #5 he sped up the whole thing. As far as Crusade, I would have definitely liked to have seen it continue on, the first season of B5 wasn't exactly the greatest thing on TV either, boy it's got to be perfect from the get go doesn't it, I don't see how anything with a serial nature ever makes it, we don't need to set things up, we just need the cliff notes and get straight to the ending. I also think TNT was meddling too much with Crusade, so who knows.
nottenst likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page