post #601 of 730 Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post
This season has kill it for me. I am out and deleting the timer. Enjoyed the previous seasons though.
Don't make that decision until you see episode 11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 730 Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM
DDD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I completely agree. I was so disappointed in this season, until it was just building up to the delightful concluding episodes!
post #603 of 730 Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
I completely agree. I was so disappointed in this season, until it was just building up to the delightful concluding episodes!

Wow, that was one wicked game changer of an episode, I absolutely cringed on that one scene, if you haven't seen the episode you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it, I still shudder when I think about that one.

Last edited by rebkell; 06-13-2014 at 08:29 PM.
post #604 of 730 Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Wow, that was one wicked game changer of an episode, I absolutely cringed on that one scene, if you haven't seen the episode you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it, I still shudder when I think about that one.
What scene are you talking about, I did not see anything that was not completely expected.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #605 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you not seen "3 Minutes To Midnight" yet? I assume rebkell is referencing the scene where

Spoiler!
post #606 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I really dug the ending of last night's episode. I am not sure I have ever seen a scene where the "good guys" and "bad guys" all sat down in a room and talked about how hard time travel is. I love the giant this sucks what am I doing this for from everyone.
post #607 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Wow, that was one wicked game changer of an episode..
By far the best episode of the season!
It's almost like the actors broke character and said what the hell is going on here...
Where do they go after this?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #608 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
What scene are you talking about, I did not see anything that was not completely expected.
Pretty much agree. From the "hints" posted previously, I expected far more. Basically, the characters finally got a clue and actually exchanged information on what they knew. I'll admit that is maybe a first for a TV series.

Did we not know already that there were/are many possible futures and that all this time travel and interference had an effect? Was this supposed to be news? Were we supposed to be surprised that Kellog was a duplicitous manipulator? That the Freelancers had a heavy hand in screwing with the futures?

The only surprising thing was that Liber8 threw in the towel so quickly. They might have considered that some of their tactics could lead to a bad future. If this was news to them and then they simply quit, it doesn't say much for them. I didn't find their reactions credible.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #609 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you not seen "3 Minutes To Midnight" yet? I assume rebkell is referencing the scene where

Spoiler!
I was actually referring to the removal aspect of it.
post #610 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just watched the episode - as said above it was quite unique to see everyone actually sharing information. It seems that this point of time is unstable because all of these different factions are traveling back to it - we've got our group of Liber8 and Keira; Jason (who arrived earlier); the two Alecs, the Freelancers, the anti-Freelancers (?) of Chen and Tonkin who were sent by a future Kellog (and I'm not sure we know why they killed that Keira - it sounded like wrong place, wrong time), and who knows who else may be wandering around or will be wandering around.

In any case, the story seems to be making the point that will time travel possible, the future is inherently unstable.

I am so glad this and the previous episode were not typical Liber8 stories from earlier this season or previously. I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the final two episodes of the season.
post #611 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I think a lot of the things I have been saying are what leads to this episode. Everyone has been running around doing their own thing... thinking "I want my future" and doing whatever to get there. This was the first episode where everyone involved had tangible proof that they were screwing things up and making it worse.

There had been little hints along the way... and "am I changing anything" questions... but everybody was sharing info. Liber8 was smacked in the face with how what they were doing was worse than what they were fighting against. They also found out it wasn't the first time through for Kiera and some others... Kiera also learns of an alternate future and realizes things are already screwed up. Future-Amnesia-Dude learns his timeline wasn't supposed to be that way until everyone else screwed around.

They still haven't roped in what the deal with Alec is... any version of Alec, including future Alec. Jason also seems to always have more going on in his head than anyone ever knows. The freelancers are still an enigma.

I wouldn't be surprised if people like future Alec thinks he is pulling the strings but really isn't when all the cards come on the table.

Young Thesius seems to be evolving into one of the better people when you think about it. He hasn't been encouraging any of the violence that the others have been up to... and he really does seem to be the rare one that might be thinking of others and not himself. Then again, he could in the future be the string-puller for all we know.

It is all a big mess, but that is what is interesting to me.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #612 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
In next weeks episode preview, on Showcase Canada, Kiera is seen telling the lead woman Freelancer (Catherine) the following:

"...Alec Sadler..., I brought you the wrong one..."

Looks like there might be an Alec swap in the Freelancers cells next week.

The SyFy preview for next week was not so blunt, but was sorta alluded to

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #613 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think she will get to exchange the Alecs, though. They've made it pretty clear that the death of Alec's father and Alec's subsequent decision to abandon SadTech to run Piron has contributed to the destruction of the future, as evidenced by nobody from the "new" future knowing who Alec Sadler is. Alec only becomes a hugely important person if he runs SadTech, but apparently Halo is destined to fail and cause him to become a nobody in this timeline.

The problem is even if Kiera somehow manages to swap Alecs, I don't think it will do any good. There's no way "good" Alec hasn't changed from his incarceration, and I doubt he and Kiera will be buddies when he gets out. If anything, swapping the Alecs now may lead to an even worse future (then again, maybe doing so is what creates the "evil" Alec from the future that Kiera knows, so swapping them would restore the timeline...).
post #614 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Just watched the episode - as said above it was quite unique to see everyone actually sharing information. It seems that this point of time is unstable because all of these different factions are traveling back to it - we've got our group of Liber8 and Keira; Jason (who arrived earlier); the two Alecs, the Freelancers, the anti-Freelancers (?) of Chen and Tonkin who were sent by a future Kellog (and I'm not sure we know why they killed that Keira - it sounded like wrong place, wrong time), and who knows who else may be wandering around or will be wandering around.

In any case, the story seems to be making the point that will time travel possible, the future is inherently unstable.

I am so glad this and the previous episode were not typical Liber8 stories from earlier this season or previously. I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the final two episodes of the season.
Yes. I too was really tired of the same old-same old Liber8 trope.

I just don't see where the big reveal is that the future(s) are unstable. If they were not malleable, then why bother sending all the different groups back to change things? Instead, the malleability of the future has been the theme since the first episode.

And at long last light finally dawns on marble head that actions have unintended consequences.

It's scary that Season One's "Carlos The Clueless" appears to be one of the most intelligent characters now.
post #615 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 195
So what we have to do is send everyone back to the time they came from?

Since they got all the parts to the metal ball....looks like they're leading up to it?

Did the show get picked up for a new season? If not, this may be the wind down for the series.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #616 of 730 Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, this amuses me. The official Continuum website has some commentary on the episode:

http://www.showcase.ca/blogs/5543/th...es-to-midnight

and some of it is wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase.ca
Yep, HALO isn’t just a catchy name. The problem is, Alec’s real time medical monitoring and disease prevention program was corrupted before he even began testing it, because it’s based on a stolen CMR chip (stolen by Alec himself) that belonged to the now-dead Kiera of a timeline that no longer exists. No surprise, then, that test subjects, including Jason — Alec’s time-travelled son, who is older than Alec is in this timeline — are suffering from awkward side effects including rage violence.
No, Alec stole the CMR chip from this timeline's Kiera: the living Kiera is the one from the timeline which no longer exists, so if they're saying the reason Halo doesn't work is because it's from a Kiera whose timeline no longer exists, then that's wrong. If the people in charge of the show can't keep the plotlines straight, I guess that lets us off the hook when we get confused (that, or they need to hire more intelligent peons to manage the website).
post #617 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
OK, this amuses me. The official Continuum website has some commentary on the episode:

http://www.showcase.ca/blogs/5543/th...es-to-midnight

and some of it is wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase.ca
Yep, HALO isn’t just a catchy name. The problem is, Alec’s real time medical monitoring and disease prevention program was corrupted before he even began testing it, because it’s based on a stolen CMR chip (stolen by Alec himself) that belonged to the now-dead Kiera of a timeline that no longer exists. No surprise, then, that test subjects, including Jason — Alec’s time-travelled son, who is older than Alec is in this timeline — are suffering from awkward side effects including rage violence.
No, Alec stole the CMR chip from this timeline's Kiera: the living Kiera is the one from the timeline which no longer exists, so if they're saying the reason Halo doesn't work is because it's from a Kiera whose timeline no longer exists, then that's wrong. If the people in charge of the show can't keep the plotlines straight, I guess that lets us off the hook when we get confused (that, or they need to hire more intelligent peons to manage the website).

No, I don't think so. BOTH Kieras are from a from a future that no longer exists according to the John Doe. He could have taken the chip from either one of them, and it would be from an erased timeline.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #618 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
No, I don't think so. BOTH Kieras are from a from a future that no longer exists according to the John Doe. He could have taken the chip from either one of them, and it would be from an erased timeline.
Exactly... based on what we know now... Kiera's future no longer exists... so all of her tech is from a future that doesn't happen anymore, thanks to actions taken in the past.

I suspect, though, it's more than just tech from an obsolete timeline that is the problem... I suspect it was always corrupt technology anyway. They showed us a few times how Kiera's behavior was different when she was off the CMR... and also how when she acted "out of character" the CMR would correct her behavior and some of her memories were erased. So her tech was always "corrupt" in that sense.

I still think we are headed towards an end-game where Kiera and Liber8 ultimately find out that their future wasn't the original timeline either... and that they don't really want to restore that either... that the time-meddling has been going on since before they got into the game... and the ultimate series-end will be the discovery of and restoration of that original timeline that we haven't ever seen.

post #619 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
If the tech is corrupted because it is from a timeline that no longer exists, why does the tech work at all? Or why didn't it just disappear?
post #620 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
If the tech is corrupted because it is from a timeline that no longer exists, why does the tech work at all? Or why didn't it just disappear?
Your iPhone would still work in 1776, you just wouldn't be able to do much with it(couldn't charge it when it went dead of course). If the tech worked in 2076, and didn't rely on an outside power source or data it should still work in 2014. I suspect that a CMR is an example of this, it's basically a self-contained device and can be enhanced by connecting to an outside data link or power source but it's not required for its basic functionality.
Doug Wallen likes this.
post #621 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't buy the explanation that Halo is defective because it's based on technology from a dead timeline, though. They've made it pretty clear in the show that Halo doesn't work because Alec is trying to invent something a decade early that he's not smart enough to invent when he's only in his 20s. They're making it sound like taking it from the dead Kiera made it defective, but using the CMR from the living Kiera would have worked, and I don't think that either premise is correct: the technology doesn't become hampered because it's from a future that doesn't exist, nor does it matter if it comes from someone "native" to your current timeline or not. That type of time travel explanation makes little sense, at least to me.
post #622 of 730 Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
That's where I have to jump the tracks on the whole time travel concept.

If an event changes things where tech isn't invented that was sent back in time, then the object should disappear. In other words, it was never invented. Same thing with some people. If their birth would not have occurred if they were sent back in time....shouldn't they disappear?

....and the whole multiple time line concept breaks down into there is only one timeline and if you change it, then that's it until something else along the way changes it....but there is always one timeline. If you start off with multiple timelines and changing an event creates a new branch...well....you've got a much more interesting science fiction show on the syfi channel. It makes less sense but more interesting TV if you don't overthink it. lol

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #623 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I still say the concept being explored here isn't multiple simultaneous timelines... but rather one timeline that is malleable and in a state of flux due to all the time travelers.

So... we have a timeline that goes from A-Z... but some people from M-W have been coming back to various points and mucking with things so that everything going forward may or may not happen the way it did in the future from whence those people originated.

Now, they seem to be going with the idea that if you go back in time you can screw up your own future and even prevent your own birth, which changes the timeline... but you remain as an anomaly to be corrected at some point. I suspect that is part of the nastiness that is collapsing timelines... the idea of people existing in the past that shouldn't exist because they eliminated their own future timeline... thus major problems on the horizon.

I also keep coming back to the idea of the future we were originally shown probably not being the real future. I was thinking too how we found out that Alec is the son of a renegade freelancer who went into the past... so it kind of seems to me like Alec probably didn't exist in the original timeline... and at least part of the fix to the timeline may ultimately be undoing what happened there.

post #624 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post
This season has kill it for me. I am out and deleting the timer. Enjoyed the previous seasons though.
His loss. You have to remember on time travel, you need to play the long game.
Anything at anytime cans reset it all. We learned that last season.
post #625 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Quote:
That's where I have to jump the tracks on the whole time travel concept.

If an event changes things where tech isn't invented that was sent back in time, then the object should disappear. In other words, it was never invented. Same thing with some people. If their birth would not have occurred if they were sent back in time....shouldn't they disappear?

....and the whole multiple time line concept breaks down into there is only one timeline and if you change it, then that's it until something else along the way changes it....but there is always one timeline. If you start off with multiple timelines and changing an event creates a new branch...well....you've got a much more interesting science fiction show on the syfi channel. It makes less sense but more interesting TV if you don't overthink it. lol
I don't know why the object/person must disappear. It's not like we're dealing with real laws of physics here. It's a science fantasy where all we can ask is that the writers' "rules" are self-consistent. They are positing that an object created elsewhen exists, period.
post #626 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I don't know why the object/person must disappear. It's not like we're dealing with real laws of physics here. It's a science fantasy where all we can ask is that the writers' "rules" are self-consistent. They are positing that an object created elsewhen exists, period.
I love sci-fi, but there has to be some logic to what happens. I may not be smarter than the average bear, but if I can't follow the logic of a TV show then I'm going to move on to something else. FWIW, I think this thread shows that I'm not the only one struggling to make sense of some the timeline issues. Maybe even the writers themselves?
post #627 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Dang DVR cut off right during John Doe's final speech, another few seconds of expository dialog I assume. Now I have to find it on-demand, where FF is disabled, and let the whole episode run out just so I can catch those last few seconds.

I hope this sh!t gets fixed in a future timeline.
post #628 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

The way I see it, the future that created that technology did exist at some point in time in the continuum, that technology was physically transported back in time and continues to function as it appears to be pretty much self-contained. Now that the future that created that technology no longer exists I don't know why the tech would cease to exist or just disappear, it has a physical presence, just like the person who brought it back, they didn't go "poof" when the original future ceased to exist/happen, so why would the tech?

I'm probably missing something, but the question of how the tech can exist when the future that created it no longer happened doesn't seem to be a big issue to me.
post #629 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Dang DVR cut off right during John Doe's final speech, another few seconds of expository dialog I assume. Now I have to find it on-demand, where FF is disabled, and let the whole episode run out just so I can catch those last few seconds.

I hope this sh!t gets fixed in a future timeline.
Oh, well, now you are asking a lot, mankind clearly doesn't have the technology to fix that issue yet, and it could be several decades before they find a solution.
post #630 of 730 Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Oh, well, now you are asking a lot, mankind clearly doesn't have the technology to fix that issue yet, and it could be several decades before they find a solution.
Didn't Kellogg's grandmother or some relative directly in the bloodline get killed in the first season and he was still there?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page