post #661 of 730 Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Watching this episode I had the sense I had missed a previous one, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. It did seem as if there were some plot jumps with the connective story tissue having been left out.
Exactly my reaction.

Quote:
Has the "Traveler" been mentioned before?
Not that I recall ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 730 Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
There were three people in the car... Kiera and Brad in the front, Alec in the back... but I don't know if that pic was taken from a stationary or a moving vehicle. Alec could have gotten in the back before Kiera and Brad got in the front... then Kiera gets in first and the pic snapped before Brad is there. There's other ways to potentially have that pic. Maybe they stopped so Brad could have a bathroom break at some point too. OR whenever Kiera left the two of them, maybe Brad gets out first to walk around and Kiera is still in the car talking to Alec for a minute.

In the scheme of things, not the biggest "huh"... I was more "huh" about the opening minutes showing the "resurrection" from months ago and saying something about being "merged"... which if it means what I think it means was kind of a big thing to just gloss over. Also the mystery man... Traveler... they had vaguely insinuated someone behind the door before... they almost showed his face and almost had him say something that meant something probably... Next week should be interesting.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #663 of 730 Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Yes, while the car pic was puzzling, the "huh" you mention was the more "wait, what?" storyline for me.
post #664 of 730 Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
They show has become the modern day equivalent of "Who's on First".
post #665 of 730 Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
In the scheme of things, not the biggest "huh"... I was more "huh" about the opening minutes showing the "resurrection" from months ago and saying something about being "merged"... which if it means what I think it means was kind of a big thing to just gloss over. Also the mystery man... Traveler... they had vaguely insinuated someone behind the door before... they almost showed his face and almost had him say something that meant something probably... Next week should be interesting.
We finally got to see sort of how Chen was brought back, but it wasn't really clear. Maybe we'll find out more. The big question about Chen is how the Freelancers just let him roam around their headquarters unchecked. Definitely sloppy.

They had mentioned some hints about someone behind the door, but no good details. It will be interesting to see what happens in the season finale.
post #666 of 730 Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Exactly my reaction.

Not that I recall ...
Only in the sense someone traveled back 1000 years ago. You would assume he died..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #667 of 730 Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Freelancers won't like this news getting out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...past-time.html
post #668 of 730 Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
If you took your cellphone back to 1776 the calender would still work,
I discovered that the android calendar sucks, in that you cannot directly enter a date. At least, not that I found.

In any event, I went as far back into the past as possible and ran into the date I expected that I could not go past, and that is the standard epoch date for computer dates, i.e., 1/1/70.

So, if you did go back to 1776, you could bring up 1776 in your calendar. You can't do it now, so you won't be able to then either.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #669 of 730 Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Another thing that's been bothering me: if Brad is only from 2039 in a timeline where Alec didn't become powerful, and time travel only came about in Kiera's 2077 timeline thanks to Alec, how did Brad have access to time travel equipment to jump back to 2014? We were given the impression in the early episodes that time travel technology wasn't exactly common or easy to acquire, but I don't remember if they ever said when it was invented (i.e. before or after 2039).
post #670 of 730 Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Another thing that's been bothering me: if Brad is only from 2039 in a timeline where Alec didn't become powerful, and time travel only came about in Kiera's 2077 timeline thanks to Alec, how did Brad have access to time travel equipment to jump back to 2014? We were given the impression in the early episodes that time travel technology wasn't exactly common or easy to acquire, but I don't remember if they ever said when it was invented (i.e. before or after 2039).
Kellogg sent him back - he must have taken over Alec's inventions, etc.
post #671 of 730 Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 387
After all, they had at least two of the "chocolate orange" devices already. Only lots of power would have been needed to make them work. Presumably Brad used one of them. Since he would have brought it back with him, now there should be at least three (*) plus whatever devices the Freelancers might have had.

-----
* - Of course, they all started out as the same device. The magic of time travel!

Selden
post #672 of 730 Old 06-25-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I discovered that the android calendar sucks, in that you cannot directly enter a date. At least, not that I found.

In any event, I went as far back into the past as possible and ran into the date I expected that I could not go past, and that is the standard epoch date for computer dates, i.e., 1/1/70.

So, if you did go back to 1776, you could bring up 1776 in your calendar. You can't do it now, so you won't be able to then either.
The default the last time I looked was 1900 as the earliest date but the range can be set by the developer. I use a range in my apps from 1600-2300. Microsoft's MFC calendar OTOH was good only back to 1752 (when the British adopted the Gregorian Calendar) and could not be set by the developer.
post #673 of 730 Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I still fail to understand why people don't just store the whole year in their data. Forget the whole "range" nonsense... It never saved much data anyway. Two 8-bit bytes gives you 0-65535... anything that you would ever store as data that you would need to store a date with it, that data is presumably many many bytes and more data than the date takes up in the storage... so saving a byte or two on the date never made much sense to me. IF storage space was at a premium, abbreviate something else in the database instead and save much more data!

Meanwhile... back in the Continuum...

Freelancers came from the further further future... back to the past... and have time travel equipment apparently.

Alec from the further future sent Liber8 and Kiera back to the "present" but only the orange went through.

Young Alec went back a tiny bit to the previous present and brought another version of the orange. He used Pyron equipment which seems to imply Pyron has its own functional time-travel device too.

Kiera followed Young Alec back via the Freelancers equipment and brought no new time-travel tech with her that we know of.

Brad is from the future (alternate) and Kellog sent him back somehow. IF Kellog used Pyron's tech then there should be a third orange around... but IF Kellog used Freelancer tech there may not be any new tech.

For the moment... in the "present" it would seem that the Freelancers have the ability to send people back in time with whatever they have on-hand... whereas Pyron has the tech but can only use it with one of the two oranges.

I think I covered everything... but basically there's at least two ways we know of to time-travel now in the "present" and going forward from there.

post #674 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Was wondering why "Brad" looked familiar... same actor that plays "Tector" on Falling Skies...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #675 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Was wondering why "Brad" looked familiar... same actor that plays "Tector" on Falling Skies...
And "wolfie" on the late, lamented "Sanctuary." He's one of those guys that seems to be everywhere ...
post #676 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I still fail to understand why people don't just store the whole year in their data. Forget the whole "range" nonsense... It never saved much data anyway. Two 8-bit bytes gives you 0-65535... anything that you would ever store as data that you would need to store a date with it, that data is presumably many many bytes and more data than the date takes up in the storage... so saving a byte or two on the date never made much sense to me. IF storage space was at a premium, abbreviate something else in the database instead and save much more data!.
Well ... remember that at one time 8 Kilobytes of RAM was a "huge" amount of memory ... and CPUs could only handle one byte at a time. I seem to recall a typical early floppy disk only held ~80 or 86 Kb of data ... but that memory is a wee bit foggy.
post #677 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
And "wolfie" on the late, lamented "Sanctuary." He's one of those guys that seems to be everywhere ...
Wolfie? was that Henry? I never got over losing Ashley on Sanctuary.
post #678 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Wolfie? was that Henry? I never got over losing Ashley on Sanctuary.
She was in CBC's Arctic Air which just completed its run recently. Stephen Lobo, who plays Kellogg, is also in Arctic Air.
post #679 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Wolfie? was that Henry?
Right ... I couldn't recall the character's name at the moment.
post #680 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well ... remember that at one time 8 Kilobytes of RAM was a "huge" amount of memory ... and CPUs could only handle one byte at a time. I seem to recall a typical early floppy disk only held ~80 or 86 Kb of data ... but that memory is a wee bit foggy.
Yeah... but that gets to the point I was making. Nobody ever just stored a date and nothing else. The date was always stored as an identifier for the rest of the data being stored. So you might be storing your bank account transaction records, along with dates... or inventory, and dates... or whatever, and dates... so the date was the small part of what you were storing anyway.

You would always have saved more memory/storage space by abbreviating the rest of your data than saving a byte on the date.

Also... and I brought this up way way back in the "fear the year 2000" days... IF people were so dead-set against storing the date in their files and were determined to use an offset to save data... what they should have done was always store the offset-base-date as part of their data once at the beginning.

So... IF they didn't want to store the full date in each field, fine... but in the first field store a full date and then for each subsequent field store a differential from that base-date. That way your reference point was always part of your data and all relative dates could always be calculated as part of that data.

Instead, making the relative data assumption by something based on the computer was a bad idea from the start... which is why some people had problems... and had to do a lot of converting of data years later.

It's one of those things where I can truly say "If I were in charge" we wouldn't have ever had a problem like that. It was too obviously easy to solve from the beginning that I can't believe it ever became an issue... and I knew this when I was a kid in the 1970s.

Maybe I should grab one of those chocolate oranges and see if I can travel back in time and fix things?

post #681 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
It's pretty common for Canadian shows. The same actor has shown up on Saving Hope, Lost Girl, and Bitten, for instance. It's kind of amusing to watch the Canadian actor roulette.
post #682 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It's pretty common for Canadian shows. The same actor has shown up on Saving Hope, Lost Girl, and Bitten, for instance. It's kind of amusing to watch the Canadian actor roulette.
It is! It's like there's only 20 of them in total and they play every character in every show!
post #683 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah... but that gets to the point I was making. Nobody ever just stored a date and nothing else. The date was always stored as an identifier for the rest of the data being stored. So you might be storing your bank account transaction records, along with dates... or inventory, and dates... or whatever, and dates... so the date was the small part of what you were storing anyway.
Still not buying the argument. The "whole" year would take either a 16bit word in binary (with almost half the bits wasted,) or a 32bit word in ASCII vs a single byte for the two digit binary representation. I used to program those old machines ... in machine code ... sometimes with an assembler, sometimes by hand one instruction at a time. Trust me when I say you wanted to "economize" storage requirements at every possible opportunity.

OTOH, it was actually possible to represent up to 256 years using a single byte ... so in theory, Y2K really shouldn't have been the issue it was. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.
post #684 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:
OTOH, it was actually possible to represent up to 256 years using a single byte ... so in theory, Y2K really shouldn't have been the issue it was. Then again, hindsight is 20/20.
Actually, Y2K really WASN'T the issue that it was.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #685 of 730 Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Watching this episode I had the sense I had missed a previous one, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. It did seem as if there were some plot jumps with the connective story tissue having been left out.

Has the "Traveler" been mentioned before?
Likewise but was the traveler the one who brought Chen back in the previous episode? (We have been catching up with an episode a day this week so maybe I am out of sync!)

Also what it is with the Kiera / Chad relationship - it seems faster than what we saw so far?

Really enjoying this season and looking forward to Friday's finale.

Also really enjoyed the music at the end of last weeks episode Dark Places by Quinn Archer

Bought it on Amazon and love it

It looks like Rachel Nichols produced the video for her best friend Quinn Archer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es-music-video

Edit here is the official video for Dark Places

Kellog, Travis and Julian are all in the video - don't really understand it - but it is a great song

Last edited by undecided; 06-27-2014 at 12:12 AM.
post #686 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Still not buying the argument. The "whole" year would take either a 16bit word in binary (with almost half the bits wasted,) or a 32bit word in ASCII vs a single byte for the two digit binary representation. I used to program those old machines ... in machine code ... sometimes with an assembler, sometimes by hand one instruction at a time. Trust me when I say you wanted to "economize" storage requirements at every possible opportunity.

Well... I covered that really. If all you are storing is a date, then you have a boring and small amount of data So the presumption is that you are storing other important data that you want a date-stamp included for each entry... which means the other data is the space-hog, not the part you allocate to the date.

But that being what it is... if you still wanted to save space on the date field too... I posed that solution as well... Your first field in the data contains the full date. Every subsequent field in the data contains a "delta" from that date... so you get to save your space on all the other entries but your database contains its own "key" to decipher the date shorthand, and you would be developing the code to match the database and it would all flow naturally from there.

And... some quick math since my last post...

IF you wanted to store the entire date each time, you could do it in three 8-bit bytes. You need 4 bits for the month, 5 bits for the day, and that leaves 15 bits for all the way to the year 32767 (or you could go from -16383 BC to 16384 AD if you like). So that's another way to do it and minimize wasted space.

I really need one of those chocolate oranges now.

post #687 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Also really enjoyed the music at the end of last weeks episode Dark Places by Quinn Archer
Speaking of music, are you folks getting the new S3 opening, or is it getting cut? I was so happy to get rid of that boring "My time, my city" monologue from S1-2.
post #688 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Speaking of music, are you folks getting the new S3 opening, or is it getting cut? I was so happy to get rid of that boring "My time, my city" monologue from S1-2.
Especially when that monologue started getting completely inaccurate from the direction of the show. If I remember right, SyFy started showing the new S3 opening on the second episode of the season. Can't wait for tonight's finale!
post #689 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
Especially when that monologue started getting completely inaccurate from the direction of the show. If I remember right, SyFy started showing the new S3 opening on the second episode of the season. Can't wait for tonight's finale!
I can't wait for it to end too.
post #690 of 730 Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Likewise but was the traveler the one who brought Chen back in the previous episode? (We have been catching up with an episode a day this week so maybe I am out of sync!)
Yes, that was the way I saw it, same person.

Quote:
Also what it is with the Kiera / Chad relationship - it seems faster than what we saw so far?

Again yes, it seemed as if they jumped into bed on the first date, so to speak anyway!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page