post #691 of 719 Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Well... I covered that really. If all you are storing is a date, then you have a boring and small amount of data So the presumption is that you are storing other important data that you want a date-stamp included for each entry... which means the other data is the space-hog, not the part you allocate to the date.
Perhaps you are assuming that 50's-70's era computer science/theory was as advanced as "modern day" theory?

Peeps were still using slide-rules back then! Object oriented programming wasn't even a glimmer in somebody's eye. I'm pretty sure that "databases" did not exist per-se ... At best, what you had was massive batch files, often stored on punch cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 719 Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Actually, Y2K really WASN'T the issue that it was.
That's because there was an effort to fix it. Bill Gates pulled the Microsoft engineers of their current project and had them comb through code and not just Y2K. Lots of bugs were fixed according to friend that worked there including things like a 16-bit mask on a 32-bit integer.

It will be interesting to see what the season finale brings tonight (no, the finale wasn't episode 12). It will also be interesting to see if VUDU has it tomorrow as 12 didn't show up until Sunday. I see chatter on IMDB is speculation if there will be a season 4. They think Shaw will order one but Syfy may not. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix chips in. They did on season 2 and may have on season 3.
post #693 of 719 Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Perhaps you are assuming that 50's-70's era computer science/theory was as advanced as "modern day" theory?

Peeps were still using slide-rules back then! Object oriented programming wasn't even a glimmer in somebody's eye. I'm pretty sure that "databases" did not exist per-se ... At best, what you had was massive batch files, often stored on punch cards.
Of course punch cards were essentially early databases... and the mechanical looms that processed them were early computers. I had my first home computer when I was about 7... in 1977 give or take a year... so I go fairly far back, though obviously not back to the beginning.

The point being... I was doing this stuff when I was a kid... and I'm telling you how I did things then... and while I thought of myself as smart, I can't believe I was the only one capable of thinking of those things at the time... and I am telling you things that I thought of and did at that time when I programmed.

But I never was able to build a time machine, though... or go to alternate dimensions... so I need TV for that!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #694 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Of course punch cards were essentially early databases... and the mechanical looms that processed them were early computers.
LOL ... "Looms?" ... now that *would* take a way-back-machine to see ... even for me. My point was simply that the two-digit date issue originated in pre-PC/AppleII/S100/TRS80/Pet(etc, etc) times and the practice was already well entrenched before anyone thought "uh-oh ... Houston, we might have a problem here."

The Prius (or Tesla) would not exist, if not for the Model-T.
post #695 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Looms were used even in the early 70s to weave wires between magnetic cores to make braided wire read only memories. I know because I was hired by that company to design the 1st semiconductor memories for the IBM 370 computer series.
post #696 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Its very telling about what this series has become that the season finale aired yesterday and the only conversation in this thread is about data storage.
post #697 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It is no surprise that Kellogg had the upper hand at the end as Jason was in on everyone's planning and still wearing the glasses that broadcast to Kellogg.

The Traveler's one line was very Kosh-like "And so it begins."
post #698 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I agree that there was no surprise with Kellog, but my wife and I were both wondering if we missed an episode and when did Jason join Kiera and the other Alec? Neither one of us remembered Jason switching sides.
post #699 of 719 Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Didn't good Alec plant Jason with bad Alec as a spy in the first place, because he needed someone on the inside? I forget whose idea it was to dress Jason up in a suit originally. Maybe it was Matthew's.

I would have probably said more originally, but I forgot most of what happened by the time last night arrived. Now all I remember is Brad calling Terminators from the future hellscape back in time to destroy 2014. Oops.

*edit*

Ah, I remembered one of the things that really bothered me -- evil Alec's speech. Alec's transition to evil corporate overlord was hard enough to justify, but how does he go from that to "I will never let you and Emily be happy! I'll kill her before I let the two of you be happy! Even if you travel back in time to save her again, I'll just kill her over and over and over! Bwahahaha!" Wait, what?

Last edited by Aleron Ives; 06-29-2014 at 02:42 AM.
post #700 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Ah, I remembered one of the things that really bothered me -- evil Alec's speech. Alec's transition to evil corporate overlord was hard enough to justify, but how does he go from that to "I will never let you and Emily be happy! I'll kill her before I let the two of you be happy! Even if you travel back in time to save her again, I'll just kill her over and over and over! Bwahahaha!" Wait, what?
I think that might have been one of the side effects of the Halo device.
post #701 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
I think that might have been one of the side effects of the Halo device.
I think that the ten or so of us who watch this show will be very wary of the new Apple "wristwatch" now.
post #702 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a good thought; if Halo made Jason murderous, I suppose it could have had the same effect on Alec.
post #703 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What do we do now????
RUN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Run.jpg (114.5 KB, 22 views)

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #704 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
What do we do now????
RUN!
I for one prefer Keira in her slim, form fitting suit
post #705 of 719 Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
I seem to recall a typical early floppy disk only held ~80 or 86 Kb of data ... but that memory is a wee bit foggy.
A wee bit foggy is right. The 8" stored about a MB of data. The first 5.25" floppy stored 360k.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #706 of 719 Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
A wee bit foggy is right. The 8" stored about a MB of data. The first 5.25" floppy stored 360k.
Depended on the system ... some of the early "hobbiest" computers were no where close to either of those figures ...

And the 8" 'ers I remember actually held *less* data than the them newfangled 5.25"s ... By the same token, the 3.5's exceeded the 5.25 capacity. Single vs Dual sided was also part of the equation ... but we digress.
post #707 of 719 Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Are you geeks watching "Halt and Catch Fire"?
It's all about 1980's era PC life...

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #708 of 719 Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
The first 5.25" floppy I ever used was on the Atari 800 and it held 88K per side. As to the show, I would have liked the season finale to be a series finale. The stuff at the end with the beacon didn't make sense to me. They activate it and everything's fine and a few minutes later, everything warps to craziness. That seems opposed to the time traveling rules the show has established, where the person travels to a new timeline but the timeline doesn't change around the person, except I guess that one time where the timeline seemed to be disintegrating in the some future where Kiera was stuck in the freelancers' headquarters. I'll probably watch if this show gets renewed but I think they have run out of ideas.
post #709 of 719 Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
The stuff at the end with the beacon didn't make sense to me. They activate it and everything's fine and a few minutes later, everything warps to craziness. That seems opposed to the time traveling rules the show has established, where the person travels to a new timeline but the timeline doesn't change around the person, except I guess that one time where the timeline seemed to be disintegrating in the some future where Kiera was stuck in the freelancers' headquarters. I'll probably watch if this show gets renewed but I think they have run out of ideas.
The "people" that appear at the end may or may not have been responding to the beacon. We will not know unless and until the show comes back for another season. But assuming it was a response to the beacon...

What rule was broken?

The timeline has been changing since before the show started (I'm assuming of course a bit here that has yet to be discussed on screen)... One of Kellog's ancestors was killed early in season 1 and he didn't disappear and yet he should never be born... so there's a new timeline right there. Then who knows what else... and then Alec goes back to be two Alecs and the Freelancers future is disintegrating... so Kiera goes back to presumably stop that from happening. Meanwhile something else has already changed because Brad has a different future that he comes back to prevent.

So back to the beacon... he is sent back and told to activate the beacon under a false assumption that if they change the future then nobody will hear the beacon and they will know they prevented his future. The problem with that is, his beacon still exists... and lots of people have seen it... so there's no reason why in this timeline it couldn't be studied and at some point in the new future something/someone sent back to that point knowing he will activate it after thinking he has changed his future.

So... any deviation in this timeline forward from this point can respond to that beacon and any change they make, someone else can come back to that point and make new changes. That beacon is more of a problem than perhaps its inventor intended OR perhaps the inventor intended that all along. Time (pun intended) will tell
FOPA likes this.

post #710 of 719 Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Alternatively, assuming time travel technology develops in the new timeline, the signal his beacon sends could be used by an unknown government or military power that interpreted the message as a hostile signal, so they sent a Captain Braxton-esque team back in time to correct the problem of an unauthorised party having the technology to access a restricted channel.
post #711 of 719 Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep... that works too. There are still dozens of different ways they can take this show before resolving everything.

post #712 of 719 Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem with the writers' model of time travel is that there are so many open and unrestricted possibilities for world story lines that there's little point in following the convolutions as any minute (Heh) another time twist can occur making what happened previously moot. In this one way I prefer the LOST model of "what happened, happened". Still like Continuum despite the easy out by the writers.
post #713 of 719 Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 504
There's always the possibility that, instead of using the time travel trope to go back and undo damage thereby making a better future, the most common approach, they take it in another direction. That being, people from the future keep meddling in the past, and our heroes have to constantly regroup to fight an ever-changing landscape, one that changes every time they do something, and every time somebody from the future sends somebody back. Certainly, the end of this season showed a big honkin' shift as what looks like terminator-type battle-bots have now appeared! They've got to change that future, and quickly.

It would take a really smart group of writers to take the show in that direction. I'm not sure they have it in 'em, but we'll see.
post #714 of 719 Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

If they go standard... we eventually find out what the original "real" timeline was and everyone has to make sacrifices to return to that one.

If they go new, the changes keep making things worse and worse for the future... and they can't go back... so they all have to agree on the best of the worst and try to make the best future possible even though it isn't the original one... and again sacrifices will be made

post #715 of 719 Old 07-04-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just glad they're past the boring Liber8 protest/slaughter of the week and into fresh new territory. I'll admit that the police chief surviving that up close & personal blast is a bit hard to go along with. Lexa will be missed, unless she returns from another timeline that is.
post #716 of 719 Old 07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I'm just glad they're past the boring Liber8 protest/slaughter of the week and into fresh new territory. I'll admit that the police chief surviving that up close & personal blast is a bit hard to go along with. Lexa will be missed, unless she returns from another timeline that is.
Yep, that was a real "WTH" moment when they said he was still alive. Terrible decision because it makes we doubt anything I see on the show. Who's writing this stuff? Stephen King?
post #717 of 719 Old Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 92
For those who couldn't watch the show via cable or satellite or didn't buy episodes streaming Season 3 will be available on Netflix on the 26th.
post #718 of 719 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
Yep, that was a real "WTH" moment when they said he was still alive. Terrible decision because it makes we doubt anything I see on the show. Who's writing this stuff? Stephen King?
Totally agree, Dillon should be dead. That is my #1 pet peeve of shows is when people should be dead and yet come back in some preposterous fashion. I still think Babylon 5 started going downhill when Sheridan didn't die at the end of season 3.
post #719 of 719 Old Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
For those who couldn't watch the show via cable or satellite or didn't buy episodes streaming Season 3 will be available on Netflix on the 26th.
Awesome!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page