post #721 of 750 Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
He did die, but he got better - Lorien brought him back.
Did I miss something major? Who or what is Lorien? If you're talking about the technology that the Freelancers use to bring people back from the dead, why would they go out of their way to bring Dillon back to life? He's not involved in time travel and thus not important to their cause, and most of them are dead, anyway, so I'm not sure when they found the time to collect his charred remains and magic him back to life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Did I miss something major? Who or what is Lorien? If you're talking about the technology that the Freelancers use to bring people back from the dead, why would they go out of their way to bring Dillon back to life? He's not involved in time travel and thus not important to their cause, and most of them are dead, anyway, so I'm not sure when they found the time to collect his charred remains and magic him back to life...
lokar made a Babylon 5 reference, and nottenst responded to his comment. They were NOT talking about Continuum, but a major plot point involving Sheridan and Lorien in Babylon 5.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #723 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It sounded like he had an explanation for Dillon's ridiculous survival. I guess I'll have to keep wondering about that.
post #724 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks. It sounded like he had an explanation for Dillon's ridiculous survival. I guess I'll have to keep wondering about that.
Yes, Dillon surviving seems quite hard to believe, but we'll have to wait and see about that.
post #725 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Yes, Dillon surviving seems quite hard to believe, but we'll have to wait and see about that.
Maybe the writers will just decide to let him die with all the negative feedback on the net about that particular incident, if he survived I want Sonya back too. LOL
post #726 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Once again, given the ability to go back in time, Sonya is easy brought back by the same method that Alex got his dead GF back. Nobody is really ever killed given this open ended time travel paradigm that the writers postulated. Expect...anything!
post #727 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Once again, given the ability to go back in time, Sonya is easy brought back by the same method that Alex got his dead GF back. Nobody is really ever killed given this open ended time travel paradigm that the writers postulated. Expect...anything!
I guess our biggest concern is making sure the series is renewed.
post #728 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
If Syfy doesn't renew then Netflix maybe pick it up. In fact I think the reason why it's on Netflix so soon is because they helped finance it as they did season 2 in return for rights. I think folks have mentioned it is highly rated in Canada so Showcase may have already renewed.
post #729 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Siffy can't renew it without Showcase's approval. They can only decide to carry it if Showcase requests another season. The fact that there still hasn't been any announcement is a bad sign, I would think.
post #730 of 750 Old 07-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
If they don't renew it someone can go back in time and get it renewed in an alternate timeline.
Garrett Adams and gprace like this.
post #731 of 750 Unread 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 796
At least we'll get a resolution.

Continuum - Officially Renewed for a Fourth and Final Six Episode Season
tomhunter8 and baja7475 like this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #732 of 750 Unread 12-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That's bittersweet news.
post #733 of 750 Unread 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I couldn't wait to watch episodes during the first two seasons. Continuum had become one of my favorite shows. But the third season completely lost me. Once they killed the original Kiera, the show seemed to lose focus and go downhill. I'll watch the final season but I really think the writers lost their way. Hopefully they can regain the touch that made this show so great in season one and two and end on a strong note.
post #734 of 750 Unread 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Those must have been some intense negotiations for Showcase to take this long to release its decision. I guess they were probably arguing over the number of episodes and how much money they'd get to make them all this time.
post #735 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Given the season finale, wouldn't the episodes pretty much be all VFX? I guess they could do some low cost tunnel/bunker scenes, but unless the suit occupants run out of battery/fuel/power or stupidly get out of their suits to monologue about the future, the VPD hasn't shown that they have acquired any anti-tank weapons (ERYX or an ADATS) ... yet.

v/r,
C-F
post #736 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Talking CONTINUUM - Renewed for 4th Season!

Press Release Share This

December 08, 2014
CONTINUUM CONTINUES: SHOWCASE’S SMASH-HIT ORIGINAL SERIES RENEWED FOR A FOURTH AND FINAL SEASON

Six Suspense-Filled Episodes Wrap Up the Award-Winning Series in 2015

TORONTO, December 8, 2014 - Tonight, in an exclusive sit-down with Continuumstar Rachel Nichols, ET Canadaconfirmed that Showcase's Canadian original action-drama returns for a fourth and final season of six episodes airing in 2015. Continuum's time-mending and mind-bending tale continues following a suspenseful third season that reached more than 2.35 million viewers (v2+)* and ended with a cliffhanger finale that won the night as the #1 program in key demos for all of Canadian specialty**.

"All great stories deserve an end. I am excited and grateful to finish Continuum with the riveting conclusion it deserves," said series star, Rachel Nichols. "This series finale is dedicated to the devoted fans who have loyally supported us since day one."

"Continuum's award-winning success on Showcase is a testament to the quality of our Canadian original productions," said Christine Shipton, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media. "With Executive Producer Simon Barry at its helm, the fourth and final season of Continuum is bound to deliver a heroic conclusion to the futuristic series."

Continuum is created by Executive Producer Simon Barry (The Art of War) while DGC Award winner Patrick Williams (Shattered, Smallville) is Executive Producer and Director. Reunion Pictures partners Tom Rowe, Lisa Richardson and Matthew O'Connnor are Executive Producers. Additional casting details will be announced in the coming weeks.

Filmed on location in Vancouver, B.C., Continuum is developed and produced by Reunion Pictures. International distribution is handled by Endemol. The series is now seen internationally in over 132 countries.

Watch the full interview with Nichols at www.etcanada.com and catch-up on the first three seasons of #Continuum at www.showcase.ca. Continuum's season four broadcast dates will be announced next year.

Showcase is available on a National Free Preview from January 1-31, 2015. See local listings for more information.

*Source: Numeris (BBM Canada) PPM Data Total Canada CUME REACH Ind2+ 3/16/14-6/01/14
**Source: Numeris (BBM Canada) PPM Data Total Canada AMA 6/01/14 confirmed (A25-54, M25-54, A18-49, M18-49)

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #737 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking forward to seeing how they can wrap it up.
post #738 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 735
If it's such a "smash hit" in Canada, #1 in their key demos, and syndicated in 132 countries which amortizes production costs over a wide base, shouldn't the final season warrant more than 6 episodes? Given what we saw in the last season cliffhanger which indicated a big game-change, isn't that going to produce a rushed and confusing finish?
post #739 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Not very happy about a 6 episode wrap-up. Didn't I read here long ago that the show's creators said the story was something like an 8 or 10 season planned story arc? Regardless a paltry 6 episodes to wrap up a story that last season took a new still un fleshed out arc and a finale that introduced yet another orthogonal departure does not seem readily resolved in a cost saving six episodes with writers, producers & cast all rushing onto new employment.
post #740 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm becoming a big fan of six or eight episode series. Seems most writers don't have the imagination for 13 episode runs. Plus I don't like long term investments.
zaphod7501 likes this.
post #741 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I'm becoming a big fan of six or eight episode series. Seems most writers don't have the imagination for 13 episode runs. Plus I don't like long term investments.
I've been a champion of the "midi-series" for a long time now, and wondered why we don't see more of it, as in the UK. Tell your story, tell it tightly and well, then get off the stage and let someone else tell their story.

But this is really a different issue. This story has run for several seasons and seemingly needs more time to finish properly. Especially with how the last season ended.
philw1776 likes this.
post #742 of 750 Unread 12-09-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Didn't I read here long ago that the show's creators said the story was something like an 8 or 10 season planned story arc?
That would be a pretty stupid plan if so, as very few shows ever last that long. Continuum certainly didn't deserve such an extended run after the mess season 3 turned out to be.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #743 of 750 Unread 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would be a pretty stupid plan if so, as very few shows ever last that long. Continuum certainly didn't deserve such an extended run after the mess season 3 turned out to be.
Maybe they were looking at another Canadian production out of Vancouver: "Supernatural" which is now in it's 10th season. However that show is a little more stand alone as episodes go.
post #744 of 750 Unread 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I had thought Supernatural only had a five-year plan or so, as people have said that it went off the rails more recently. I wouldn't know, as I don't watch it.
post #745 of 750 Unread 12-11-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I had thought Supernatural only had a five-year plan or so, as people have said that it went off the rails more recently. I wouldn't know, as I don't watch it.
I wouldn't say "off the rails," but perhaps it suffers from the same syndrome as Stargate SG-1 and Smallville ... more like the former. There's only so many times the gang can ward off Armageddon, save the world and save each other from Hell, Purgatory, a/o rogue angels. OTOH, I find the non-arc episodes entertaining enough to stick around until the bitter end. This is the season for atonement.
post #746 of 750 Unread 12-11-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I've been a champion of the "midi-series" for a long time now, and wondered why we don't see more of it, as in the UK. Tell your story, tell it tightly and well, then get off the stage and let someone else tell their story.
Me too!

Broadchurch vs Gracepoint case in point. BBC original - tight story-telling, well acted, killer and circumstances revealed in 8 episodes. Americanized version Gracepoint is meandering, bloated and 10 episodes to tell essentially the identical story!

BBC knows how to do it tightly and the result is better dramatic story-telling. The US show writers can take some lessons.

I have for the most part given up on many US network shows in part because of bloated story-telling. I prefer the short episode series. Revolution was a shining example of a show that could have been far better with half the episodes, instead of every week seeing basically the same characters doing the same things in same circumstances with same outcomes.

Another example in the SF-supernatural genre is Haven. Every season was the midi-concept except this final split one with 26 episodes in 2 parts of 13 ea. And the result this yr is glacial pacing, with much less happening from ep to ep to move the story to a resolution, very unlike previous seasons. The only major "things" to get to the point happened in the last 2 eps. They could have gotten to that same point in probably half the episodes. I still like the show & story but there's too much "filler" that doesn't move the story (somewhat reminds me of TW Miracle Day - I couldn't wait for that to end!)

If HBO can do the hugely complex story like Song of Ice & Fire in 10 ep seasons, then so can networks....IF they tried but then they wouldn't have as much advertising time to sell and also have to be come up with better writing

Years ago, I used to think the "6-10-13 " episode style series were too short but then I realized the vast majority of these were far superior & I preferred them to to the old 20+ ep formula. The light bulb turned on as to why

There are exceptions, of course

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 12-11-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #747 of 750 Unread 12-11-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Its probably more to do with the economics than anything else. You get a series that's watched and they want to milk it for all its worth and some.

There is also a presumption that there is a lot of 8 episode series waiting to get on stage. I doubt that's really the case.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #748 of 750 Unread 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Broadchurch vs Gracepoint case in point. BBC original - tight story-telling, well acted, killer and circumstances revealed in 8 episodes. Americanized version Gracepoint is meandering, bloated and 10 episodes to tell essentially the identical story!
Broadcast networks aren't the only ones prone to this problem. You could say the same about the BBC vs the Netflix House of Cards. The American one doesn't need to be nearly as long as it is, as the UK version tells the story in 1/3 as much time per season.
post #749 of 750 Unread Yesterday, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Watched Christmas Icetastrophe on Syfy last night. It was like a mini Continuum cast reunion. As much as I love cheese. This movie was the stinky cheese.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #750 of 750 Unread Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 190
^ Glad I missed it!
I like Victor Webster- hopefully he'll get some full time work on an American series (which will probably be shot in Canada anyway ).

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Reply HDTV Programming