"The Bridge" on FX HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

If I understand your question correctly, she said something like "You were the man across the border." According to the sister, the killer's wife was having an affair with a Mexican across the border. She was leaving her husband for good, took the daughter and was on her way to cross into Mexico to live with her lover at the time of the accident. The Mexican lover was Marco.

You understood the question correctly. I knew that Marco was the lover. The way that Sonya worded her statement left me a little baffled as to what she was referring to. Makes sense now.
tomhunter8 likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Came across this article in The Guardian. It compares the two lead females in the Nordic and US versions of "The Bridge", known as "Bron/Broen" in the original Swedish/Danish. It captures my thoughts about Kruger's portrayal fairly well in that Sonya is missing that "she's not the entirely original, other-worldly Noren that fans of the original show found so compelling." in Saga. In the linked article there is a link to a YouTube clip that demonstrates a bit of Saga's self-assured purposefulness, something that Sonya is virtually lacking in. In the original, Saga is clearly the dominant personality of the duo, whereas in the US version it can easily be said that Marco is the dominant character over the rather meek and unsure Sonya.

Now, I realize that they are two different shows, and I'm trying to give Kruger a lot of rope here(and there's a high probability the character is written as such), but even at this late stage of the season she still isn't working for me. My problem, I guess, is that I've seen the original and it's colored my opinion of Kruger's performance; one of the downsides of remakes, it's difficult not to compare and choose a favorite of the two.

That said, I am enjoying "The Bridge" although I think most of that is coming from the setting, the sociological aspects of that setting, and some of the ancillary characters, particularly Adriana(reporter), Fausto(cartel boss) and Charlotte(the widow). Ted Levine is, as usual, a scene stealer, enough said there.
Quote:


The Bridge: Saga Noren v Sonya Cross

"It is not an easy gig, reworking a character as distinctive as The Bridge's Saga Noren. Striding onto screen, great coat flapping, blonde mane flowing, Noren managed to breathe new life into a genre not short of detectives with great instincts but disastrous personal skills. Sonya Cross, her equivalent on FX's US remake, was always unlikely to come out of this tussle on top."

(full read at link below)

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/australia-culture-blog/2013/jul/23/bridge-saga-noren-sonya-cross

P.S. No spoilers of the American or Swedish/Danish version contained in the article.
Keenan is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Keenan -- After reading your last post and the piece from The Guardian, to which you linked, I'm glad I have not yet seen the Scandinavian version of The Bridge. I have enjoyed Diane Kruger's performances as the impaired but weirdly effective Sonya. The interplay between her and Demian Bichir's Marco has also been very effective, I think. If the season's last four episodes prove to be as good as the first eight, I will be a happy camper indeed.
gwsat is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Keenan -- After reading your last post and the piece from The Guardian, to which you linked, I'm glad I have not yet seen the Scandinavian version of The Bridge. I have enjoyed Diane Kruger's performances as the impaired but weirdly effective Sonya. The interplay between her and Demian Bichir's Marco has also been very effective, I think. If the season's last four episodes prove to be as good as the first eight, I will be a happy camper indeed.
Yes, while the two shows share the same name and character structure, they are really individual efforts with individual character traits and should be viewed that way, it's not Sonya/Saga and Marco/Martin but Sonya and Saga and Marco and Martin, all very different characters.

I do highly recommend seeing the Nordic version though when you get the opportunity, I'd be very interested in your take on it.
Keenan is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, while the two shows share the same name and character structure, they are really individual efforts with individual character traits and should be viewed that way, it's not Sonya/Saga and Marco/Martin but Sonya and Saga and Marco and Martin, all very different characters.

I do highly recommend seeing the Nordic version though when you get the opportunity, I'd be very interested in your take on it.

To watch shows like the Scandinavian version of The Bridge is the primary reason I bought an all regions modification ship for my Oppo 103. When Amazon UK lowers the price of the set a little more, a safe bet I think, I will jump on it. Right now I am in the middle of a move, so I won't even be thinking about buying any new BDs until the dust settles from my move but stay tuned.smile.gif
gwsat is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

To watch shows like the Scandinavian version of The Bridge is the primary reason I bought an all regions modification ship for my Oppo 103. When Amazon UK lowers the price of the set a little more, a safe bet I think, I will jump on it. Right now I am in the middle of a move, so I won't even be thinking about buying any new BDs until the dust settles from my move but stay tuned.smile.gif
Good move on the Oppo, I guess you got tired of fooling around with the LG(?)biggrin.gif
Keenan is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Good move on the Oppo, I guess you got tired of fooling around with the LG(?)biggrin.gif

Speak not the the names LG and World-Import in my presence because doing so plays havoc with my digestion. smile.gif
gwsat is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Speak not the the names LG and World-Import in my presence because doing so plays havoc with my digestion. smile.gif
So the relationship was terminated with extreme prejudice was it?! biggrin.gif
Keenan is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So the relationship was terminated with extreme prejudice was it?! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah! I never pass up an opportunity to tell my sad story and throw World-Import under the bus again. The problem was really their fault not LG's. If the World-Import chip wouldn't work in the LG machine I bought they should have replaced one or the other. Instead, they lied and said they couldn't find anything wrong, despite the modified machine always locking up at the "HELLO" message.. It was a hard earned $200 plus lesson for me.
gwsat is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Oh yeah! I never pass up an opportunity to tell my sad story and throw World-Import under the bus again. The problem was really their fault not LG's. If the World-Import chip wouldn't work in the LG machine I bought they should have replaced one or the other. Instead, they lied and said they couldn't find anything wrong, despite the modified machine always locking up at the "HELLO" message.. It was a hard earned $200 plus lesson for me.
Yeah, this hobby can hand out some rather expensive lessons at times.smile.gif
Keenan is online now  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I watch all my DVDs and most (but not all) of my Blu-rays on my home-brew HTPC (usually via a server - much quieter than a spinning optical drive).

Was an early adopter of AnyDVD to allow me to watch any region DVD, and it also allows any region Blu-ray viewing, as well as backing up to my server for replay over the network and the use of MyMovies or XBMC as a replay front-end as well as PowerDVD. That said my cheap Sony Blu-ray player has had the simple remote control hack for multi-region DVD playback (and I don't have much need for out-of-region Blu-ray).

Presumably the bigger issue in the US is that quite a few European TV shows are released 50i rather than 24p on Blu-ray - which can be an issue? (We have 24/50/60 compatibility pretty much universally on our TVs in Europe, but AIUI 50Hz isn't universally supported on US HDTVs - particularly bigger names - and 50 to 60Hz conversion in the consumer arena is usually dire)

Looking forward to Sept 22nd when Bron/Broen series 2 starts in Sweden and Denmark. (I can watch SVT and DR via satellite)
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

I watch all my DVDs and most (but not all) of my Blu-rays on my home-brew HTPC (usually via a server - much quieter than a spinning optical drive).

Was an early adopter of AnyDVD to allow me to watch any region DVD, and it also allows any region Blu-ray viewing, as well as backing up to my server for replay over the network and the use of MyMovies or XBMC as a replay front-end as well as PowerDVD. That said my cheap Sony Blu-ray player has had the simple remote control hack for multi-region DVD playback (and I don't have much need for out-of-region Blu-ray).

Presumably the bigger issue in the US is that quite a few European TV shows are released 50i rather than 24p on Blu-ray - which can be an issue? (We have 24/50/60 compatibility pretty much universally on our TVs in Europe, but AIUI 50Hz isn't universally supported on US HDTVs - particularly bigger names - and 50 to 60Hz conversion in the consumer arena is usually dire)

Looking forward to Sept 22nd when Bron/Broen series 2 starts in Sweden and Denmark. (I can watch SVT and DR via satellite)

Don't rub it in partner! Although I have been delighted with my all regions Oppo 103, I am nevertheless jealous of your ability to watch the new series of the Scandinavian version of The Bridge before the discs come out. Before I watch it I will have to wait until (1) the BDs become available and (2) their price drops to a level I am willing to pay.

Thanks to the combination of my Oppo and Pioneer Kuro, I have no problem with 50i BDs. Don't ask me, however, how all of that worked when my primary BD player was a Sony PS3.
gwsat is offline  
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Presumably the bigger issue in the US is that quite a few European TV shows are released 50i rather than 24p on Blu-ray - which can be an issue?

That is because they shoot native in 25p or 50i, unlike we here in the states who shoot in 24p (or 23.976p). Hence the reason that overseas shows are 50i (25p is not in the Blu-ray spec for some dumb reason).

For anyone in the states that connects to their display via HDMI, frame rate should never be an issue. For the moment, all of my computer work and Blu-ray watching is done on my monitor, which has VGA, DVI and HDMI connections. I use VGA for the computer connections (via KVM), DVI for the OTA tuner output and HDMI from the Blu-ray.

The monitor doesn't do 50Hz, so the Blu-ray player, via the HDMI connection determines what the monitor can handle and since 50Hz is not a choice, the Blu-ray player converts the frame rate. I have no problem watching Doctor Who Blu-ray releases, as they are region free. If a Blu-ray is other than region A, I have other software to take care of that.

All frame rates should be viewable here in the states.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Hopefully the killer doesn't send them a disc with both 50Hz and 60Hz mixed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
leebo is offline  
Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

That is because they shoot native in 25p or 50i, unlike we here in the states who shoot in 24p (or 23.976p). Hence the reason that overseas shows are 50i (25p is not in the Blu-ray spec for some dumb reason).
Yes - quite annoying that. (Though some broadcasters still master 25p content at 50i to allow for 50i motion on rolling/crawling credits)
Quote:
For anyone in the states that connects to their display via HDMI, frame rate should never be an issue. For the moment, all of my computer work and Blu-ray watching is done on my monitor, which has VGA, DVI and HDMI connections. I use VGA for the computer connections (via KVM), DVI for the OTA tuner output and HDMI from the Blu-ray.

The monitor doesn't do 50Hz, so the Blu-ray player, via the HDMI connection determines what the monitor can handle and since 50Hz is not a choice, the Blu-ray player converts the frame rate. I have no problem watching Doctor Who Blu-ray releases, as they are region free. If a Blu-ray is other than region A, I have other software to take care of that.

All frame rates should be viewable here in the states.

Yes - but viewing 50Hz content at 60Hz is nasty. You get 10Hz judder due to every 5th frame being repeated (in 50p to 60p). I have had the same issue when running my PC 60Hz in error when watching 50Hz content. (I can watch 60Hz content at 60Hz). Not nice - particularly on motion.

BTW - not all HDMI sources do what you suggest.
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Yes - quite annoying that. (Though some broadcasters still master 25p content at 50i to allow for 50i motion on rolling/crawling credits)

Ya, isn't that a BBC requirement?
Quote:
Yes - but viewing 50Hz content at 60Hz is nasty. You get 10Hz judder due to every 5th frame being repeated (in 50p to 60p). I have had the same issue when running my PC 60Hz in error when watching 50Hz content. (I can watch 60Hz content at 60Hz). Not nice - particularly on motion.

The Samsung Blu-ray player doesn't do that. I get zero judder when playing 25p or 50i material, either via the Blu-ray player or via VLC on the PeeCee. I was expecting some kind of issue, but nothing. Surprised me, but happy none-the-less.
Quote:
BTW - not all HDMI sources do what you suggest.

That's probably best discussed in a different forum.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Ya, isn't that a BBC requirement?
The BBC, ITV, C4 and Sky in the UK share common technical standards - with 50i delivery being part of it I believe. So not just BBC - and the BBC and a few other UK broadcasters currently standardise on rolling credits (which look nicer in 50i than 25p)
Quote:
The Samsung Blu-ray player doesn't do that. I get zero judder when playing 25p or 50i material, either via the Blu-ray player or via VLC on the PeeCee. I was expecting some kind of issue, but nothing. Surprised me, but happy none-the-less.
Hmm - not sure how that works if your display can't cope with 50Hz. Be interested to know how the conversion happens at a consumer price point.
sneals2000 is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

which look nicer in 50i than 25p

I like the Doctor Who end credits in 25p.
Quote:
Hmm - not sure how that works if your display can't cope with 50Hz. Be interested to know how the conversion happens at a consumer price point.

I have to take back what I wrote. The OSD lies about the frame rate. I pulled the PDF manual for the monitor and the specs say that it supports 480p/59.94/60, 576p/50 and 50 Hz at 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It also says that other modes may not be supported. But I play 720p and 1080p MKV/MP4 videos at 25p as well.

It is a relatively cheap ASUS VH242H monitor. It has better support than I expected.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Sorry to interrupt by discussing the actual show . . .

I am troubled:.

First, there has been thought that the real killer was a person on the inside because he had to have inside knowledge of what was going on. Now we find that the killer used to be an FBI agent who faked his death. He has no connection on the inside that we know of (maybe that will change at some point). So all of the killer's knowing what was going on is what, magic?

Second, Sonya does her police work thoroughly and methodically and comes to the answer. Then Tate sticks his hand print on the mirror giving away his identity. That only means two things. Either it basically makes all of Sonya's work useless or it means that Tate has some inside help and knows that Sonya figured him out.. So I guess I'm talking myself into the theory that Tate has someone on the inside helping him.

Third, we find out that Tate has machinated this huge plot simply to get revenge on a couple of people? Disguised as political action and laced with the death of innocents? What were the immigrants about? I get the initial double murder (maybe) to get Marco across the border or is even that too much of a stretch? But Tate has the complete element of surprise. And if all he wants to do is to slit someone's throat (the guy who killed his wife and kid), it isn't hard and he didn't need all of the years of planning to do it. And the seduction of Marco's wife? Did Tate know that lady-killer Marco would have an affair once he crossed the border and that Sonya would give it away? Too much coincidence. Why all the misdirection for a simple revenge plot? I guess the final question is whether Tate wants Marco to suffer, die or both. Despite Marco's role in Tate's wife and child's death, it isn't near as evil as the playboy who actually did the accidental deed. Tate is holding a grudge about accidental forces which conspired to a result that was never maliciously intended. I would think that as an FBI agent, he would understand this to a degree.

I did like a couple of things involving Sonya including the other detective's insult of her (and no one really stopping it or helping her) and Marco's son's conversation with her. I guess the show is well enough done to keep my interest but there is a lot of misdirection going on that doesn't add up.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Sorry to interrupt by discussing the actual show . . .

I am troubled:.

First, there has been thought that the real killer was a person on the inside because he had to have inside knowledge of what was going on. Now we find that the killer used to be an FBI agent who faked his death. He has no connection on the inside that we know of (maybe that will change at some point). So all of the killer's knowing what was going on is what, magic?

Second, Sonya does her police work thoroughly and methodically and comes to the answer. Then Tate sticks his hand print on the mirror giving away his identity. That only means two things. Either it basically makes all of Sonya's work useless or it means that Tate has some inside help and knows that Sonya figured him out.. So I guess I'm talking myself into the theory that Tate has someone on the inside helping him.

Third, we find out that Tate has machinated this huge plot simply to get revenge on a couple of people? Disguised as political action and laced with the death of innocents? What were the immigrants about? I get the initial double murder (maybe) to get Marco across the border or is even that too much of a stretch? But Tate has the complete element of surprise. And if all he wants to do is to slit someone's throat (the guy who killed his wife and kid), it isn't hard and he didn't need all of the years of planning to do it. And the seduction of Marco's wife? Did Tate know that lady-killer Marco would have an affair once he crossed the border and that Sonya would give it away? Too much coincidence. Why all the misdirection for a simple revenge plot? I guess the final question is whether Tate wants Marco to suffer, die or both. Despite Marco's role in Tate's wife and child's death, it isn't near as evil as the playboy who actually did the accidental deed. Tate is holding a grudge about accidental forces which conspired to a result that was never maliciously intended. I would think that as an FBI agent, he would understand this to a degree.

I did like a couple of things involving Sonya including the other detective's insult of her (and no one really stopping it or helping her) and Marco's son's conversation with her. I guess the show is well enough done to keep my interest but there is a lot of misdirection going on that doesn't add up.

I don't think the original plan involved Marco's wife being taken. It was more the opportunity presented itself and Tate grabbed it. And if that happened to me, I think I would blame Marcos as much or more than the actual hit and run driver. I also think the political aspect works in two ways. It is Tate's cover to hide his true motives, but he is also trying to make a statement on how casual death is treated south of the border.I mean, the guy is crazy...

I do agree its going to be a stretch if someone else isn't involved. Actually, since the Tate reveal came before the end of the season I'm sure someone at the police station is involved and that will be the season's final shock. I'm betting on Hank as the inside man.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ben Lomond CA USA
Posts: 1,792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My initial impression of The Bridge and Sonya's character was that her actions didn't quite ring true - but that that was a function of the writing rather than the acting. I thought that Kruger was a brilliant actress, on top of being quite beautiful. In any drama, written or acted, we are often asked in the beginning to suspend our disbelief about something or other, and if we continue reading or watching, we go along with that, as long as they don't keep throwing weirdness at us. Certainly as the series has gone on her quirks are no longer annoying to me. Her reaction when the cop talked about humoring our idiot savant was poignant and beautifully acted.

Interesting that some who have seen both the European and American versions have said that the story is almost unchanged. That's a little hard to believe, because Sweden doesn't have a border with any country that's remotely similar to Mexico, especially Juarez, with its incredible violence and corruption, as portrayed in our version.
cwilson is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Second, Sonya does her police work thoroughly and methodically and comes to the answer. Then Tate sticks his hand print on the mirror giving away his identity. That only means two things. Either it basically makes all of Sonya's work useless or it means that Tate has some inside help and knows that Sonya figured him out.. So I guess I'm talking myself into the theory that Tate has someone on the inside helping him.

He has to have some kind of inside track to make the plot work. A bug on Marco or a back room deal at the least.

The handprint was either a sign that he knew his identity was blown and it didn't matter, or that he was taunting the El Paso PD with the fact that he committed a murder on the other side and they could do nothing about it. It falls under the Juarez jurisdiction and given the track record of their captain it could be months or years before they put anything together. Assuming the case doesn't get intentionally buried.

I think Kruger is fine in this and she has had some nice moments, but her character outline is still too broad.

The serial killer angle is the weak point of the story as a lot of critics have also mentioned. The writers should have kept it simple instead of the convoluted immigrant-poisoning and online death video. That was almost cartoonish. The bridge murder was statement enough to carry the story forward and the background color was enough to keep the characters interesting.

And I want to see Tate in a fight. One of the earlier clues to his background was the fact he had been trained in hand-to-hand but when I look at him in his suit I can't see a guy who could take down Marco, even by surprise.


VisionOn is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Sonya: 'Your write a lot about me.
Gus: I know. I-I'm sorry.
Sonya: "MILF"
Gus: I-It's a mom I ..
Sonya: 'I know what it means, I don't have children.'



LOL, that was hilarious.
rebkell is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
How many shows use wgbh.org for their captions? Do they not get a script? I see so many mistakes in the subtitles, it seems pretty evident they are transcribing what they are listening too. Is it that difficult to get access to subtitles, that they have to hire another firm to do this?
vilfrard likes this.
rebkell is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Omg, I don't have any kids! That is the funniest line in this series!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
leebo is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Well the death of Erykah Badu was a surprise. I'm all for dispatching bad guys with no fanfare but in this case she was one of the more interesting characters. I would have liked to have seen her stick around in season two.

The Tate plot I'm liking less and less. If this was handled in the same way in the original I can't see how it would be any better either. The grenade trap was just weak and added to the generally convoluted silliness and the truck crash just added to the amazing powers of Tate; who just happened to be hanging around the police station waiting for Sonya to leave then managed to head them off on the way to an unknown safehouse.
vilfrard likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I guess Marcos son was the "inside man". Anyone else not care what happens to Marcos wife? I was already irritated with her, but bringing the girls along, then refusing to answer the phone was too much.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
leebo is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I care what happens to Marco's wife. If she's expendable, they could always blast her my way. smile.gif
vilfrard likes this.
BoilerJim is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I thought for a second Marco's wife was a goner, when she ordered the kids to go to a corner, maybe she was losing strength to keep gripping the grenade, I was looking if there was a hole in the walls to toss it thru but I guess not.

Also surprised by "The Jefa's" death

Very classic "surprise crash" at the end, Sonya is not looking good but I guess she will make it

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thought it was a very intense episode. It's a good show but not a great one. The MILF part was great though.
RemyM is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off