"The Bridge" on FX HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 556 Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have all three series of the original Danish version of The Killing. I bought the BDs from Amazon.uk, thanks to having an all regions chip in my BD player. Unfortunately, the discs for all three series were Region B so those with unmodified US BD players were out of luck. The Danish show was great. If the BDs of the show ever become available in a form playable on unmodified US BD players, don't hesitate to buy them, you won't regret it.
Just waiting until Feb 3rd when the second season of The Bridge is released at Amazon.uk.
Keenan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
sa
Senior Member
 
sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Anyone see the British-French version, The Tunnel?

I have seen the original Swedish/Danish version of The Bridge and The Tunnel. The original is better.
sa is offline  
post #453 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Anyone see the British-French version, The Tunnel?

I thought it was called The Chunnel. smile.gif
gwsat is online now  
post #454 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is it any more or less worth watching than the American adaptation?
wco81 is offline  
post #455 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 PM
sa
Senior Member
 
sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Is it any more or less worth watching than the American adaptation?

Definitely not more, probably less. On a happier note, season 2 of the original show is perhaps even better than the first.
sa is offline  
post #456 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Definitely not more, probably less. On a happier note, season 2 of the original show is perhaps even better than the first.
I thought Clémence Poésy gave a very good performance as the socially challenged Elise
Keenan is online now  
post #457 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Season 2 episodes were on Daily Motion. Fun to watch season one knowing what is really going on and what clues are given in the episodes.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #458 of 556 Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 AM
sa
Senior Member
 
sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought Clémence Poésy gave a very good performance as the socially challenged Elise

Yes, The Tunnel does have good performances but the show doesn't really bring anything new. It's also missing a lot of the humor of the original, it can actually be quite funny.
sa is offline  
post #459 of 556 Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Yes, The Tunnel does have good performances but the show doesn't really bring anything new. It's also missing a lot of the humor of the original, it can actually be quite funny.
Yes, it started off with a humorous exchange, when first meeting Elise(French) the male lead(English) said something along the lines of "steady on Joan, not here to start a war" and she responds "my name is not Joan". biggrin.gif

But no, it didn't have as much humor as the original.
Keenan is online now  
post #460 of 556 Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Definitely not more, probably less. On a happier note, season 2 of the original show is perhaps even better than the first.
I think that's a bit of an understatement. I just finished the BD set last night and without question this second series was even better than the first. The connection to the title of the show was a bit tenuous but you can't have a bisected body on the border to start every series. For me, "The Bridge" in the title was much more about the expanding and developing of the individual psyches of the main characters and the interactions between the two. It was also about "bridges" between many of the other characters in the story as well.

The scene where, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Saga says people don't seem to think she can be hurt by what they say was some very powerful stuff and the way she emoted the lines was just spectacular, her facial expressions, wow!

At 10 episodes the show is just about right, but when you finish that last episode you will definitely be craving for more. This second series of Bron/Broen has certainly set the bar even higher for the US and UK remakes.
Keenan is online now  
post #461 of 556 Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Miss this show.
Young C is offline  
post #462 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I think that's a bit of an understatement. I just finished the BD set last night and without question this second series was even better than the first. The connection to the title of the show was a bit tenuous but you can't have a bisected body on the border to start every series. For me, "The Bridge" in the title was much more about the expanding and developing of the individual psyches of the main characters and the interactions between the two. It was also about "bridges" between many of the other characters in the story as well.

The scene where, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Saga says people don't seem to think she can be hurt by what they say was some very powerful stuff and the way she emoted the lines was just spectacular, her facial expressions, wow!

At 10 episodes the show is just about right, but when you finish that last episode you will definitely be craving for more. This second series of Bron/Broen has certainly set the bar even higher for the US and UK remakes.

I assume you got your BDs of the Scandinavian version of The Bridge from Amazon UK. I have been considering buying them too now that the price for the 4 discs of Series 1 and 2 is priced at only a little over $50.00. I also assume that you think your money for them was well spent.
gwsat is online now  
post #463 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
But are those region free?
wco81 is offline  
post #464 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I assume you got your BDs of the Scandinavian version of The Bridge from Amazon UK. I have been considering buying them too now that the price for the 4 discs of Series 1 and 2 is priced at only a little over $50.00. I also assume that you think your money for them was well spent.
If you have not seen Series 1 and both series can be had for a little over $50 USD then I would go for it. I paid a total of $37.12 at a Jan 31st exchange rate. That included shipping of $5.15 and it took only about 4 days to reach me here on the west coast.

Value-wise I would have liked to have seen some extra features, interviews, behind the scenes and the like but it's just the 10 episodes on two 50GB discs. Content-wise it was well worth the purchase price, as I noted above, I think this second series was better than the first.

On the technical side the audio is 2 channel DTS-MA HD although the DTS algorithm fills out the rest of the channels very nicely. The video is very clean although the colors are muted, that being a production choice to a certain degree I'm sure, nearly everything I've seen from these northern European countries is the same way.

I think you'll be happy with the purchase. smile.gif
Keenan is online now  
post #465 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

But are those region free?
The Blu-ray set I purchased is not region free, Region 2 only. It looks like the price has gone up as well, I paid 19£ on a pre-order and now it's up to 25£.
Keenan is online now  
post #466 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Ah well, is there some easy way to make a normal Blu-Ray player region free?
wco81 is offline  
post #467 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

If you have not seen Series 1 and both series can be had for a little over $50 USD then I would go for it. I paid a total of $37.12 at a Jan 31st exchange rate. That included shipping of $5.15 and it took only about 4 days to reach me here on the west coast.

Value-wise I would have liked to have seen some extra features, interviews, behind the scenes and the like but it's just the 10 episodes on two 50GB discs. Content-wise it was well worth the purchase price, as I noted above, I think this second series was better than the first.

On the technical side the audio is 2 channel DTS-MA HD although the DTS algorithm fills out the rest of the channels very nicely. The video is very clean although the colors are muted, that being a production choice to a certain degree I'm sure, nearly everything I've seen from these northern European countries is the same way.

I think you'll be happy with the purchase. smile.gif

Right now, the Amazon UK price for the Series 1 and 2 BDs of The Bridge is over £31 (over $52). That is so much more than the $37.12 you paid, I think I'll wait for a while and see if Amazon UK's price comes back down. Call me a cheapskate but there it is. smile.gif

Your report of the 2 channel HD audio came as no surprise. More European TV series BDs than not seem not to have 5.1 HD audio. As you said, though, modern algorithms do a good job of matrixing 2 channel audio into faux 5.1 or 7.1. The bottom line, to my ears at least, is that the matrixing does little damage to the quality of the HD audio.
gwsat is online now  
post #468 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM
sa
Senior Member
 
sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Regarding the original series Blu-ray releases:

The UK BD releases are 2-channel audio. The Scandinavian BD's have dts-ma 5.1 audio. Both seasons were mixed in 5.1 so I have no idea why the UK releases are only stereo.

The scandinavian season one BD have english subtitles (have checked), season two does not have english subs (at least it says so on the cover). I haven't checked the season 2 discs myself.

They are all region B.
Keenan likes this.
sa is offline  
post #469 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Regarding the original series Blu-ray releases:

The UK BD releases are 2-channel audio. The Scandinavian BD's have dts-ma 5.1 audio. Both seasons were mixed in 5.1 so I have no idea why the UK releases are only stereo.

The scandinavian season one BD have english subtitles (have checked), season two does not have english subs (at least it says so on the cover). I haven't checked the season 2 discs myself.

They are all region B.
For Series 3, if it has Engish subs, I'll be getting that release instead of the UK release.
Keenan is online now  
post #470 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Right now, the Amazon UK price for the Series 1 and 2 BDs of The Bridge is over £31 (over $52). That is so much more than the $37.12 you paid, I think I'll wait for a while and see if Amazon UK's price comes back down. Call me a cheapskate but there it is. smile.gif

Your report of the 2 channel HD audio came as no surprise. More European TV series BDs than not seem not to have 5.1 HD audio. As you said, though, modern algorithms do a good job of matrixing 2 channel audio into faux 5.1 or 7.1. The bottom line, to my ears at least, is that the matrixing does little damage to the quality of the HD audio.
Just to clarify, that $37.12 was for just the Series 2 release, I had already seen Series 1 so that $52 price for both series is actually cheaper than what I paid on pre-order for just Series 2, by several pounds it looks like. The shipping will probably be the same at about $5.
Keenan is online now  
post #471 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
sa
Senior Member
 
sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

For Series 3, if it has Engish subs, I'll be getting that release instead of the UK release.

It's going to be a long wait for season 3, two years.
sa is offline  
post #472 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 27,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

It's going to be a long wait for season 3, two years.
Well that's unfortunate.
Keenan is online now  
post #473 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Once again, the Scandinavian season one is on Hulu. Look under Hulu Originals.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #474 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Just to clarify, that $37.12 was for just the Series 2 release, I had already seen Series 1 so that $52 price for both series is actually cheaper than what I paid on pre-order for just Series 2, by several pounds it looks like. The shipping will probably be the same at about $5.

Thanks for the clarification! Now I will probably order the Series 1 and 2 BDs. Based on what you and others have said about the Scandinavian version of The Bridge it seems to me that buying the discs would be a good investment. I bought the BDs for the Scandinavian version of The Killing and loved them.
gwsat is online now  
post #475 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Once again, the Scandinavian season one is on Hulu. Look under Hulu Originals.

Hulu or Hulu Plus?


In HD and 5.1?
wco81 is offline  
post #476 of 556 Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Both Hulu and Hulu+. Not 5.1 though but Hulu+ seemed to be in 1080p. Hulu+ launched with all 10 episodes and the free Hulu is doling them out and are at episode 6. Commercials though even on Hulu+.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #477 of 556 Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Franka Potente Joins FX's The Bridge
By Liz Raftery, | Monday, March 17, 2014 | seattlepi.com

American Horror Story: Asylum alum Franka Potente has joined the cast of FX'sThe Bridge for Season 2, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

Potente will play Eleanor Schrock, a shunned Mennonite who's described as "sinister" and "ruthless," according to E! Online, which first reported the news.

Last October, executive producer Elwood Reid told TVGuide.com that Season 2 will focus more on the relationship between Marco (Demian Bichir) and Sonya (Diane Kruger), the two detectives who were brought together in Season 1 to investigate a murder on the border of Mexico and the United States.

Potente's credits also include The Bourne Identity, Blow and Run Lola Run.

The sophomore season of The Bridge is set to premiere this summer.

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Franka-Potente-Joins-FX-s-The-Bridge-5327581.php
Keenan likes this.
Young C is offline  
post #478 of 556 Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Potente will play Eleanor Schrock, a shunned Mennonite who's described as "sinister" and "ruthless," according to E! Online, which first reported the news.

That's great news. She was fantastic in her brief stint on The Shield.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #479 of 556 Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ray Lucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes Franka was great on the Shield, Bourne, and the vastly under-rated Blow... Bobcat's "It's from Columbia" scene with Johnny pretty much summed up the movie and times. RIP, Ted Demme....
Ray Lucca is offline  
post #480 of 556 Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I wonder if Kruger knows Potente personally, not saying because they both German, maybe they'll have some German conversation in there.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off