post #451 of 556 Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have all three series of the original Danish version of The Killing. I bought the BDs from Amazon.uk, thanks to having an all regions chip in my BD player. Unfortunately, the discs for all three series were Region B so those with unmodified US BD players were out of luck. The Danish show was great. If the BDs of the show ever become available in a form playable on unmodified US BD players, don't hesitate to buy them, you won't regret it.
Just waiting until Feb 3rd when the second season of The Bridge is released at Amazon.uk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM
sa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Anyone see the British-French version, The Tunnel?

I have seen the original Swedish/Danish version of The Bridge and The Tunnel. The original is better.
post #453 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:

Anyone see the British-French version, The Tunnel?

I thought it was called The Chunnel. smile.gif
post #454 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is it any more or less worth watching than the American adaptation?
post #455 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 PM
sa

Quote:

Is it any more or less worth watching than the American adaptation?

Definitely not more, probably less. On a happier note, season 2 of the original show is perhaps even better than the first.
post #456 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Definitely not more, probably less. On a happier note, season 2 of the original show is perhaps even better than the first.
I thought Clémence Poésy gave a very good performance as the socially challenged Elise
post #457 of 556 Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Season 2 episodes were on Daily Motion. Fun to watch season one knowing what is really going on and what clues are given in the episodes.
post #458 of 556 Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 AM
sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I thought Clémence Poésy gave a very good performance as the socially challenged Elise

Yes, The Tunnel does have good performances but the show doesn't really bring anything new. It's also missing a lot of the humor of the original, it can actually be quite funny.
post #459 of 556 Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, The Tunnel does have good performances but the show doesn't really bring anything new. It's also missing a lot of the humor of the original, it can actually be quite funny.
Yes, it started off with a humorous exchange, when first meeting Elise(French) the male lead(English) said something along the lines of "steady on Joan, not here to start a war" and she responds "my name is not Joan". biggrin.gif

But no, it didn't have as much humor as the original.
post #460 of 556 Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think that's a bit of an understatement. I just finished the BD set last night and without question this second series was even better than the first. The connection to the title of the show was a bit tenuous but you can't have a bisected body on the border to start every series. For me, "The Bridge" in the title was much more about the expanding and developing of the individual psyches of the main characters and the interactions between the two. It was also about "bridges" between many of the other characters in the story as well.

The scene where, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Saga says people don't seem to think she can be hurt by what they say was some very powerful stuff and the way she emoted the lines was just spectacular, her facial expressions, wow!

At 10 episodes the show is just about right, but when you finish that last episode you will definitely be craving for more. This second series of Bron/Broen has certainly set the bar even higher for the US and UK remakes.
post #461 of 556 Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Miss this show.
post #462 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think that's a bit of an understatement. I just finished the BD set last night and without question this second series was even better than the first. The connection to the title of the show was a bit tenuous but you can't have a bisected body on the border to start every series. For me, "The Bridge" in the title was much more about the expanding and developing of the individual psyches of the main characters and the interactions between the two. It was also about "bridges" between many of the other characters in the story as well.

The scene where, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Saga says people don't seem to think she can be hurt by what they say was some very powerful stuff and the way she emoted the lines was just spectacular, her facial expressions, wow!

At 10 episodes the show is just about right, but when you finish that last episode you will definitely be craving for more. This second series of Bron/Broen has certainly set the bar even higher for the US and UK remakes.

I assume you got your BDs of the Scandinavian version of The Bridge from Amazon UK. I have been considering buying them too now that the price for the 4 discs of Series 1 and 2 is priced at only a little over $50.00. I also assume that you think your money for them was well spent.
post #463 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

But are those region free?
post #464 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I assume you got your BDs of the Scandinavian version of The Bridge from Amazon UK. I have been considering buying them too now that the price for the 4 discs of Series 1 and 2 is priced at only a little over $50.00. I also assume that you think your money for them was well spent.
If you have not seen Series 1 and both series can be had for a little over $50 USD then I would go for it. I paid a total of $37.12 at a Jan 31st exchange rate. That included shipping of $5.15 and it took only about 4 days to reach me here on the west coast.

Value-wise I would have liked to have seen some extra features, interviews, behind the scenes and the like but it's just the 10 episodes on two 50GB discs. Content-wise it was well worth the purchase price, as I noted above, I think this second series was better than the first.

On the technical side the audio is 2 channel DTS-MA HD although the DTS algorithm fills out the rest of the channels very nicely. The video is very clean although the colors are muted, that being a production choice to a certain degree I'm sure, nearly everything I've seen from these northern European countries is the same way.

I think you'll be happy with the purchase. smile.gif
post #465 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But are those region free?
The Blu-ray set I purchased is not region free, Region 2 only. It looks like the price has gone up as well, I paid 19£ on a pre-order and now it's up to 25£.
post #466 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah well, is there some easy way to make a normal Blu-Ray player region free?
post #467 of 556 Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you have not seen Series 1 and both series can be had for a little over $50 USD then I would go for it. I paid a total of $37.12 at a Jan 31st exchange rate. That included shipping of $5.15 and it took only about 4 days to reach me here on the west coast.

Value-wise I would have liked to have seen some extra features, interviews, behind the scenes and the like but it's just the 10 episodes on two 50GB discs. Content-wise it was well worth the purchase price, as I noted above, I think this second series was better than the first.

On the technical side the audio is 2 channel DTS-MA HD although the DTS algorithm fills out the rest of the channels very nicely. The video is very clean although the colors are muted, that being a production choice to a certain degree I'm sure, nearly everything I've seen from these northern European countries is the same way.

I think you'll be happy with the purchase. smile.gif

Right now, the Amazon UK price for the Series 1 and 2 BDs of The Bridge is over £31 (over $52). That is so much more than the $37.12 you paid, I think I'll wait for a while and see if Amazon UK's price comes back down. Call me a cheapskate but there it is. smile.gif

Your report of the 2 channel HD audio came as no surprise. More European TV series BDs than not seem not to have 5.1 HD audio. As you said, though, modern algorithms do a good job of matrixing 2 channel audio into faux 5.1 or 7.1. The bottom line, to my ears at least, is that the matrixing does little damage to the quality of the HD audio.
post #468 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM
sa

Regarding the original series Blu-ray releases:

The UK BD releases are 2-channel audio. The Scandinavian BD's have dts-ma 5.1 audio. Both seasons were mixed in 5.1 so I have no idea why the UK releases are only stereo.

The scandinavian season one BD have english subtitles (have checked), season two does not have english subs (at least it says so on the cover). I haven't checked the season 2 discs myself.

They are all region B.
Keenan likes this.
post #469 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Regarding the original series Blu-ray releases:

The UK BD releases are 2-channel audio. The Scandinavian BD's have dts-ma 5.1 audio. Both seasons were mixed in 5.1 so I have no idea why the UK releases are only stereo.

The scandinavian season one BD have english subtitles (have checked), season two does not have english subs (at least it says so on the cover). I haven't checked the season 2 discs myself.

They are all region B.
For Series 3, if it has Engish subs, I'll be getting that release instead of the UK release.
post #470 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Right now, the Amazon UK price for the Series 1 and 2 BDs of The Bridge is over £31 (over $52). That is so much more than the $37.12 you paid, I think I'll wait for a while and see if Amazon UK's price comes back down. Call me a cheapskate but there it is. smile.gif

Your report of the 2 channel HD audio came as no surprise. More European TV series BDs than not seem not to have 5.1 HD audio. As you said, though, modern algorithms do a good job of matrixing 2 channel audio into faux 5.1 or 7.1. The bottom line, to my ears at least, is that the matrixing does little damage to the quality of the HD audio.
Just to clarify, that $37.12 was for just the Series 2 release, I had already seen Series 1 so that $52 price for both series is actually cheaper than what I paid on pre-order for just Series 2, by several pounds it looks like. The shipping will probably be the same at about $5.
post #471 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
sa

Quote:

For Series 3, if it has Engish subs, I'll be getting that release instead of the UK release.

It's going to be a long wait for season 3, two years.
post #472 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's going to be a long wait for season 3, two years.
Well that's unfortunate.
post #473 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again, the Scandinavian season one is on Hulu. Look under Hulu Originals.
post #474 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just to clarify, that $37.12 was for just the Series 2 release, I had already seen Series 1 so that $52 price for both series is actually cheaper than what I paid on pre-order for just Series 2, by several pounds it looks like. The shipping will probably be the same at about $5.

Thanks for the clarification! Now I will probably order the Series 1 and 2 BDs. Based on what you and others have said about the Scandinavian version of The Bridge it seems to me that buying the discs would be a good investment. I bought the BDs for the Scandinavian version of The Killing and loved them.
post #475 of 556 Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Once again, the Scandinavian season one is on Hulu. Look under Hulu Originals.

Hulu or Hulu Plus?

In HD and 5.1?
post #476 of 556 Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Both Hulu and Hulu+. Not 5.1 though but Hulu+ seemed to be in 1080p. Hulu+ launched with all 10 episodes and the free Hulu is doling them out and are at episode 6. Commercials though even on Hulu+.
post #477 of 556 Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Franka Potente Joins FX's The Bridge
By Liz Raftery, | Monday, March 17, 2014 | seattlepi.com

American Horror Story: Asylum alum Franka Potente has joined the cast of FX'sThe Bridge for Season 2, TVGuide.com has confirmed.

Potente will play Eleanor Schrock, a shunned Mennonite who's described as "sinister" and "ruthless," according to E! Online, which first reported the news.

Last October, executive producer Elwood Reid told TVGuide.com that Season 2 will focus more on the relationship between Marco (Demian Bichir) and Sonya (Diane Kruger), the two detectives who were brought together in Season 1 to investigate a murder on the border of Mexico and the United States.

Potente's credits also include The Bourne Identity, Blow and Run Lola Run.

The sophomore season of The Bridge is set to premiere this summer.

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/Franka-Potente-Joins-FX-s-The-Bridge-5327581.php
Keenan likes this.
post #478 of 556 Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Potente will play Eleanor Schrock, a shunned Mennonite who's described as "sinister" and "ruthless," according to E! Online, which first reported the news.

That's great news. She was fantastic in her brief stint on The Shield.
post #479 of 556 Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes Franka was great on the Shield, Bourne, and the vastly under-rated Blow... Bobcat's "It's from Columbia" scene with Johnny pretty much summed up the movie and times. RIP, Ted Demme....
post #480 of 556 Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I wonder if Kruger knows Potente personally, not saying because they both German, maybe they'll have some German conversation in there.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page