"The Bridge" on FX HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494


"The Bridge is a present-day crime thriller exploring the tensions on the U.S.-Mexico border. When an American judge known for her anti-immigration views is found dead on the bridge connecting El Paso and Juarez, Sonya Cross (Diane Kruger) from El Paso PD must work with her Mexican counterpart from Chihuahua State Police, Marco Ruiz (Demian Bichir), to catch a serial killer operating on both sides of the border. Marco understands the slippery politics of Mexican law enforcement, and while his police force slowly succumbs to the pressures and demands of the cartel, he’s one of the last good men in the department. He’s charming, but also cunning as he will do whatever it takes to get what he needs. This does not sit well with Sonya, who has Asperger’s and strictly follows rules as well as protocol. Her candid and off-putting personality fuels an unforgiving drive for truth. The case quickly pulls them into a string of murders on the border, a scene already consumed by illegal immigration, drug trafficking, violence and prostitution."



FX have been trailing this show for so long it seemed like it was never going to be on. This is another Euro remake, transplanting the bridge of the original show from Denmark and Sweden to the US and Mexico. There's also going to be another British/French remake called "The Tunnel" about ... well, you can probably figure it out. biggrin.gif

It's on FX so it automatically gets a first pass from me. Hopefully I'll keep pace before my DVR drive can eat the entire series, as it did with The Americans.

Premieres Wed July 10th, 10pm
http://www.fxnetworks.com/thebridge//
Young C likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Great original posting! biggrin.gif

I've been looking forward to this myself. FX has indeed been "getting the news out" for a while. July 10th is around the corner though.

Agreed, since it's on FX it automatically gets me pulled in. FX is awesome.
See you at the premier tongue.gif
Young C is offline  
post #3 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Been looking forward to this. I've seen the original and have some concern that Kruger wouldn't be able to pull off the character of Saga, a person who has some Asperger-like social issues, but seeing some of the previews I think she might be able to do it. I hope so as that is one of the outstandings aspects of the original, seeing how she acts and how she changes as she spends more and more time with her equally, but in different ways, flawed partner. Probably sounds a bit vague, but once you see the show, hopefully anyway, it will become more clear what I mean. smile.gif
Keenan is offline  
post #4 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Saga was a trip for sure.
rebkell is offline  
post #5 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Saga was a trip for sure.
Definitely, and some of the situations that arose because of her "trippiness" were hilarious and that's one of the things that concerns me with this US remake, will they be able to pull off the mix of subtlety and "whoa, wait a minute" that was in the original.
Keenan is offline  
post #6 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post


It's on FX so it automatically gets a first pass from me.

Same here. I assume any new show on F/X is great until it turns out not to be. I'm rarely disappointed.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #7 of 760 Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Same here. I assume any new show on F/X is great until it turns out not to be. I'm rarely disappointed.

I'm not quite as positive on F/X, they have several scripted shows I don't watch, I'm pretty much sold on AMC, but I'll definitely give this one a shot. If Kruger can pull off the Saga character, it should be great. I would have never dreamed that Keri Russell could be such a bad a$$ either. LOL
rebkell is offline  
post #8 of 760 Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Loved the original Swedish/Danish co-production between SVT and DR. (DR also made The Killing/Forbrydelsen and Borgen)

Hope this is a better remake than the US version of The Killing.

Will be interesting to see what "The Tunnel" is like.

BTW - if you like these kind of dramas, might be worth searching out the recent UK series "Broadchurch". It's not quite The Killing, but was definitely influenced by it, and was a real success in the UK. (However if you are a Brit, the slightly wandering West-country accents got a bit annoying)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #9 of 760 Old 06-29-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Loved the original Swedish/Danish co-production between SVT and DR. (DR also made The Killing/Forbrydelsen and Borgen)

Hope this is a better remake than the US version of The Killing.

Will be interesting to see what "The Tunnel" is like.

BTW - if you like these kind of dramas, might be worth searching out the recent UK series "Broadchurch". It's not quite The Killing, but was definitely influenced by it, and was a real success in the UK. (However if you are a Brit, the slightly wandering West-country accents got a bit annoying)

Premieres 8/7 on BBCA
http://www.bbcamerica.com/broadchurch/
rebkell is offline  
post #10 of 760 Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Premieres 8/7 on BBCA
http://www.bbcamerica.com/broadchurch/
Should point out that although it airs on BBC America in the US, it's not a BBC show in the UK. It's commissioned by the BBC's main competitor ITV. (BBC America shows UK programmes that air on the BBC's domestic competitor channels)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #11 of 760 Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Some early reviews. I'll summarize and you can click for the longer review. It seems ... not terrible and possibly pretty good!

"The Bridge is mandatory viewing for drama lovers, but it will be interesting to see where the writers take it and whether they have the big-league ability to make the evident potential materialize. One thing they’ve hopefully learned is that sometimes holding back information isn’t mysterious, it’s just confusing."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/bridge-tv-review-575826


"FX may have struck dramatic gold again. This series is mesmerizing. It sucks you in like a good book and has you yearning for more. But a word of caution: We've seen serialized crime thrillers start off well, then fail to live up to their promise. We can only hope that "The Bridge" is able to hold our attention throughout the summer and avoid a collapse."
http://www.currentargus.com/ci_23590834/review-bridge-fx-weaves-mesmerizing-crime-thriller


"Bichir is strong as the world-weary cop who disapproves of his department’s institutional corruption but also understands the reasons for it. And the supporting cast is full of dependable actors, including Annabeth Gish, Ted Levine and Catalina Sandino Moreno. Kruger is the weak link, playing a character who’s become all too familiar on crime dramas: the genius cop suffering from mental illness. Like Will Graham on NBC’s Hannibal, Cross appears to suffer from Asperger syndrome, and she has trouble interacting with her colleagues despite her obvious crime-solving acumen. Kruger struggles with the role, and her portrayal of Cross’ mental and emotional tics is distracting and unconvincing. By the end of the three episodes available for review, some of the show’s inconsistencies have started to even out, but there’s still a long way to go."
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2013/jul/02/bridge-uneven-crime-drama/


"Important issues from immigration, to class differences, to drug cartels, to journalistic spin on high-profile cases on either side of the border are getting tackled here, always layering racial, cultural, and societal subtext much deeper than the acts of one potentially crazy man. With such a rich landscape, it's easy to get wrapped up in any particular part of this story, distracted from trying to play amateur detective yourself, yet always still caring about who killed these women, why, and how it may all tie together in a bigger picture."
http://www.examiner.com/review/summer-2013-tv-preview-fx-s-the-bridge


VisionOn is offline  
post #12 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Should point out that although it airs on BBC America in the US, it's not a BBC show in the UK. It's commissioned by the BBC's main competitor ITV. (BBC America shows UK programmes that air on the BBC's domestic competitor channels)

I know this is a thread about the Bridge and hate to hijack it, but I am interested in Broadchurch. Do you know if BBC-A is going to cut each episode to fit into an hour slot as they seem to do on a regular basis?

Thanks.

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
post #13 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

I know this is a thread about the Bridge and hate to hijack it, but I am interested in Broadchurch. Do you know if BBC-A is going to cut each episode to fit into an hour slot as they seem to do on a regular basis?

Sneals wouldn't know, but take it as a given that any import to BBCA will be edited either for time or content. They censor even the most innocuous content that doesn't raise an eyebrow in the UK. If you really care about seeing Broadchurch in full then watch it using other methods.

That's why I've already seen Top Gear this week even though it premieres on BBCA on Monday.

Check the parents guide for Broadchurch at IMDB and you can easily guess what won't be in the stateside airing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/parentalguide?ref_=tt_ql_8


VisionOn is offline  
post #14 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
 
diditagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
BBC America airs plenty of shows in extended slots to air them in full, and while they do censor some content on some shows, I think assuming that every show is edited in some way is going too far. New episodes of Top Gear air in a 90-minute slot, so the entire original episode will be shown to US audiences. Every episode of Doctor Who airs uncut during its premiere (the Christmas specials are often cut down to 45 minutes for repeats). Hour-long BBC dramas like Luther, Being Human and Ripper Street are given 75-minute timeslots (however, in some cases, these shows are trimmed from 58-59 minutes to 55 minutes, though from previous viewings/comparisons, the cut footage is mainly establishing shots of streets and such, which contain no dialogue).

Back to the specific question raised above, Broadchurch aired on ITV in the UK, which is a commercial network (as opposed to the BBC channels, which are commercial-free), so it was a 60-minute show with commercials. So at least in terms of time, BBC America should be airing each episode of Broadchurch in full from 10-11pm, as they have done for other "60 minute with commercials" shows in the past (like Whitechapel). Based on the IMDB Parent's Guide for Broadchurch, brief rear nudity in Episode 5 might be blurred (though brief nudity has appeared uncensored in original TV-MA dramas like Orphan Black and Copper, so it depends if BBC America wants to give Broadchurch a TV-14 or a TV-MA rating) and one use of the f-word in Episode 5 will be censored (BBC America routinely allows cursing up to and including the s-word).

I'll definitely be tuning in to BBC America for Broadchurch, since the minor censoring that will most likely occur won't disrupt the flow of the story/action (I would never watch something like The Inbetweeners on BBC America, for example, because so much language would be censored that it renders the show unwatchable).
diditagain is offline  
post #15 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by diditagain View Post

BBC America airs plenty of shows in extended slots to air them in full, and while they do censor some content on some shows, I think assuming that every show is edited in some way is going too far. New episodes of Top Gear air in a 90-minute slot, so the entire original episode will be shown to US audiences.

Every season of Top Gear has been censored for BBCA at some point. That's why there has never been a comedy penis visual gag on the US showings. It's always a mosaic of pointless pixels rendering the joke totally ineffective. I don't care if it's going "too far" for the palate of the audience who can't follow a TV-ratings guide, if it isn't shown in full I won't watch it. Don't buy content you can't show - see also "The Thick of It".

As for Broadchurch, I think someone needs to start a thread for that since we have already derailed this thread and I'm the one who started it!


VisionOn is offline  
post #16 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Broadchurch was an ITV show over here, so is a "UK Commercial hour" duration - i.e. 44-46 minutes, unlike a BBC hour which is 58-59 minutes (as BBC shows air uninterrupted and the channel only airs trails for other shows in between programmes)

As a result, it will require far less editing to fit into a "US Commercial hour" slot on BBC America I suspect?

Don't remember anything that would need editing - it wasn't particularly memorable for adult content.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #17 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Member
 
diditagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As I said above, BBC America has not edited 60-minute ITV shows for time in the past, so I see no resaon why they would edit Broadchurch for time.
diditagain is offline  
post #18 of 760 Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the info. Again, I didn't really mean to hijack this thread.

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
post #19 of 760 Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
So soon.
Young C is offline  
post #20 of 760 Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Loved the original Swedish/Danish co-production between SVT and DR. (DR also made The Killing/Forbrydelsen and Borgen)

Hope this is a better remake than the US version of The Killing.

Will be interesting to see what "The Tunnel" is like.

BTW - if you like these kind of dramas, might be worth searching out the recent UK series "Broadchurch". It's not quite The Killing, but was definitely influenced by it, and was a real success in the UK. (However if you are a Brit, the slightly wandering West-country accents got a bit annoying)

Thanks to your strong recommendation as well as that of others, I bought all three series of the Danish version of The Killing on BD from Amazon UK and loved them. Consequently, I had been considering ordering The Bridge BDs from Amazon UK too. Now that the US version is starting later this week, though, I think I'll watch it before deciding what to do about buying the BDs of the Scandinavian original.
gwsat is offline  
post #21 of 760 Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thanks to your strong recommendation as well as that of others, I bought all three series of the Danish version of The Killing on BD from Amazon UK and loved them. Consequently, I had been considering ordering The Bridge BDs from Amazon UK too. Now that the US version is starting later this week, though, I think I'll watch it before deciding what to do about buying the BDs of the Scandinavian original.

Glad you enjoyed Forbrydelsen - the acting and storytelling in the first series was stunning.

I can't think of a single way of improving on the original. Friends in the UK who I thought would never watch a subtitled drama were gripped. It got higher rathings than Wallander or Forbrydelsen/The Killing, and deservedly so. Saga was just such a unique character.
sneals2000 is offline  
post #22 of 760 Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thanks to your strong recommendation as well as that of others, I bought all three series of the Danish version of The Killing on BD from Amazon UK and loved them. Consequently, I had been considering ordering The Bridge BDs from Amazon UK too. Now that the US version is starting later this week, though, I think I'll watch it before deciding what to do about buying the BDs of the Scandinavian original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

I can't think of a single way of improving on the original. Friends in the UK who I thought would never watch a subtitled drama were gripped. It got higher rathings than Wallander or Forbrydelsen/The Killing, and deservedly so.
I was going to say something similar in that don't judge the quality of the original with this re-make, especially in the case of the female lead. According to early reviews posted above it appears that Kruger is the weak link in the cast and that is the complete opposite of the original, Sofia Helin was spectacular in the role of Saga(Sonya in the remake). As I had noted earlier, I was concerned that Kruger would be able to pull off the nuanced oddness of Saga, Helin played it as a delicate balance between downright annoying and very intriguing, not an easy role to play.
Keenan is offline  
post #23 of 760 Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Helin played it as a delicate balance between downright annoying and very intriguing, not an easy role to play.
Spot on. Annoying and intriguing. Even now I can't think of the series without hearing her answer her phone "Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö"

Just reading the last few posts has made me want to go back and watch it again (I have it on Blu-ray)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #24 of 760 Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Spot on. Annoying and intriguing. Even now I can't think of the series without hearing her answer her phone "Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö"

Just reading the last few posts has made me want to go back and watch it again (I have it on Blu-ray)
I'm really looking forward to Series 2 which appears to be airing in the fall. If the information at Wikipedia is correct, and holds true in the future it appears that it won't air on UK TV until spring of 2014. I wonder when the disc version will release in Europe and whether it will be English subtitled or not, it doesn't appear the DVD version as listed on Amazon.de has English subtitles.
Keenan is offline  
post #25 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm really looking forward to Series 2 which appears to be airing in the fall. If the information at Wikipedia is correct, and holds true in the future it appears that it won't air on UK TV until spring of 2014. I wonder when the disc version will release in Europe and whether it will be English subtitled or not, it doesn't appear the DVD version as listed on Amazon.de has English subtitles.

The first series of The Bridge was released on Blu-ray with English subtitles prior to being broadcast on BBC Four. This was also the case with Borgen series 1 I think. (In other words the domestic releases had English subtitles)

The same was true of the first series of the TV4 Wallander production. However mid-way through S2 the DVDs lost English subtitles. (And the subsequent Blu-ray releases of both series - and S3 which are now appearing - have not had English subs)

I suspect this is related to whether the show has been picked up for a UK broadcast and/or a UK DVD release. In the UK most of the Danish/Swedish shows are released by Nordic Noir - and I suspect they would prefer it if they were the only releases with English subtitles (to ensure all UK sales go their way?)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #26 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

The first series of The Bridge was released on Blu-ray with English subtitles prior to being broadcast on BBC Four. This was also the case with Borgen series 1 I think. (In other words the domestic releases had English subtitles)

The same was true of the first series of the TV4 Wallander production. However mid-way through S2 the DVDs lost English subtitles. (And the subsequent Blu-ray releases of both series - and S3 which are now appearing - have not had English subs)

I suspect this is related to whether the show has been picked up for a UK broadcast and/or a UK DVD release. In the UK most of the Danish/Swedish shows are released by Nordic Noir - and I suspect they would prefer it if they were the only releases with English subtitles (to ensure all UK sales go their way?)

I suspect I will take the safe course and before ordering the BDs of any Scandinavian series from Amazon UK will make sure that it was produced by Nordic Noir. Nordic Noir did all three series of The Killing and couldn't have done a better job with them.
gwsat is offline  
post #27 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sneals2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 7,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I suspect I will take the safe course and before ordering the BDs of any Scandinavian series from Amazon UK will make sure that it was produced by Nordic Noir. Nordic Noir did all three series of The Killing and couldn't have done a better job with them.

Discshop.se and Megastore.se usually have good details of subtitles on their DVD and Blu-ray pages. Occasionally you get a pleasant surprise (I've had at least one DVD with English subtitles when the packaging, menus etc. didn't mention it - but scrolling through the subtitle options on my DVD remote brought them up!)
sneals2000 is offline  
post #28 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Discshop.se and Megastore.se usually have good details of subtitles on their DVD and Blu-ray pages. Occasionally you get a pleasant surprise (I've had at least one DVD with English subtitles when the packaging, menus etc. didn't mention it - but scrolling through the subtitle options on my DVD remote brought them up!)

That would probably be ok for you, since you can read and speak the language. It would be quite a roll of the dice for me and I'm pretty sure gwsat. LOL Please keep us informed if you find any of those subtitle Easter Eggs.
rebkell is offline  
post #29 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

That would probably be ok for you, since you can read and speak the language. It would be quite a roll of the dice for me and I'm pretty sure gwsat. LOL Please keep us informed if you find any of those subtitle Easter Eggs.
I've had great results from using the Google Translate plugin for Chrome. It's allowed me to read quite coherently many foreign language websites. Just tried it with Discshop.se and it works great! I'm sure the plugin is available for most of the major browsers.
Keenan is offline  
post #30 of 760 Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
NPR Fresh Air has a review of "The Bridge" posted up.

After hearing some of the dialog from Kruger in the review I'm really starting to wonder if she is going to pull it off, she doesn't sound anywhere near as socially deficient as Saga was in the original. Just a short clip though so I'm still hoping for the best.
Keenan is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off