Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here's your options in the United States (correct me if I miss some):

- Subscribe to Directv, pray and hope they'll give you a reduced rate (a yearly game that I used to play, but got sick to death of). Once it hit the 300 dollar price point, I stopped paying. Initially they gave it to me free to hold me as a customer, but that stopped last year. Now they'll happily give long-time subscribers free Redzone Channel, which they just did for me again today. Just call a CSR and request it.

- Pay full price to Sony to get it on Playstation 3. Bear in mind that the service you're paying for is the stream that Directv provides to consumers of its mobile package. In other words, it's horrible on a big screen. Crappy audio, crappy video, all at full price. But hey, no Directv required, and you dont even need to lie about not being able to subscribe to Directv. As far as I can tell, there are no deals whatsoever anymore on this service.

- Buy this year's Madden 25 Anniversary edition for 99 dollars for Xbox 360 or PS3. Each copy ships with a code that allows the consumer a season-long license to the mobile-only version of Sunday Ticket. In other words, good for your PC, tablet, or Phone. It includes every channel available to people that buy the PS3 option. In essence you're paying 40 dollars for this (60 for the game, which you could immediately turn around and sell as new if you felt like it)

Personally I'm going with Redzone on Directv, and also getting Madden to have access to any game not available to me Over the Air.

If there's any deals running through Directv or otherwise, feel free to post them here to help others out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Another option that you left out was to subscribe to Directv and simply pay for it. No praying or hoping or begging.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Now they'll happily give long-time subscribers free Redzone Channel, which they just did for me again today. Just call a CSR and request it.

I don't know if I'd go so far to say happily. Every year it usually takes me up to 10 tries to find one person willing to budge.

Just once I'd like to be able to get it on one try like some people seem to be able to do.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really don't like making these annual calls, either. The only reason I do is because DirecTV continues to give concessions and, as long as they do, I'll make the effort. Also, as a long time subscriber (1996) and since I never ask for anything else, I have no problem taking whatever they want to give me. I honestly don't remember the last time I ever called DirecTV in the last 10 years except to haggle over ST.

Last year, I complained about all the commercials they ran giving ST away for free to new subscribers. I barely finished my sentence and the rep gave it to me for free. I don't expect that this year, but we'll see...
post #5 of 18 Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Another option that you left out was to subscribe to Directv and simply pay for it. No praying or hoping or begging.

Not an option when the CSRs encourage asking for deals. They come right out and say it. And if they're so willing to give ST away or discount it greatly, then clearly it's not what they value. They need the customer more than they need Sunday Ticket, and they're more than willing to leverage one to get the other.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Another option that you left out was to subscribe to Directv and simply pay for it.
No praying or hoping or begging.

Thats funny....but seriously its not just for getting ST + redzone free as they may also throw in monthly $$ credits, premium channel $$ credits, a free genie etc.

Saying "cancel service" at the menu prompt will usually send the call to the retention dept who gives better deals compared to a regular csr.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I already get all of the premiums but I will be asking for a Genie when I know I'll get a 44.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 PM

Wow! It's already mid August and no Sunday Ticket posts about calls made and deals received. Has anyone had any luck this summer?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Liked: 11
I was offered sunday ticket for free again, but declined due to government furlough and told them to shove the $15 off a month they offered to lower my bill to $85 a month! Up a stick w dtv! Moved on to xbmc and well worth it!!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Directv has pulled the Sony Playstation 3 option. So now if you want Sunday Ticket it's either through Directv or by buying Madden 25 Anniversary to get the mobile version.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I got an email from DirecTV the other day with a survey about pricing and so forth. I made it clear I would not pay much more than the current rate. I found it interesting they asked about subscriptions for specific teams instead of the whole thing. They must finally be looking into it. But the questioning about pricing leads me to believe they won't offer it for anything less than $149 for your team. I think that's too high and answered those questions in that way.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2048b View Post

I was offered sunday ticket for free again, but declined due to government furlough and told them to shove the $15 off a month they offered to lower my bill to $85 a month! Up a stick w dtv! Moved on to xbmc and well worth it!!

How did you get it offered for free? I've already made several calls and the best I've gotten is either $149 or RedZone for free. The way I see it is that eventually I'll get the CSR (or Retention Agent) that will find a way to make it free or close to free. Sorry I refuse to pay $149 for Sunday Ticket.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #13 of 18 Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post

How did you get it offered for free? I've already made several calls and the best I've gotten is either $149 or RedZone for free. The way I see it is that eventually I'll get the CSR (or Retention Agent) that will find a way to make it free or close to free. Sorry I refuse to pay $149 for Sunday Ticket.

I've had Sunday Ticket for 16 years and, considering the annual rate increases, $149 is a bargain.

Having said that, I just made my call. I agreed to pay $148 for ST Max ($300 retail), and they offset that with $45/month in bill credits for the next 12 months ($540). Easily the best deal I've ever received since making these annual calls. Until next August... cool.gif
post #14 of 18 Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gq91355 View Post

I've had Sunday Ticket for 16 years and, considering the annual rate increases, $149 is a bargain.

Having said that, I just made my call. I agreed to pay $148 for ST Max ($300 retail), and they offset that with $45/month in bill credits for the next 12 months ($540). Easily the best deal I've ever received since making these annual calls. Until next August... cool.gif
Looks like they gave it to me again free this year too. ST Max $0.00 Free promo offer on my bill. Didnt even have to call.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

2nd year in a row... But not taking it! I dont need to pay $85-100 for tv and then get another increase in a few months when the greedy dtv company comes out with even more new crap, that shouldn't cost us half of what we pay!

I quit dtv for a few years and came back got the ticket an then they upgraded that for free, then this year i called said i need help w the bill which i did at that time being furloughed by the government and they said here sunday ticket for free but we still want $85 a month for what use to cost u $65 and i said thanks but come get ur crap! I can stream my stuff
post #16 of 18 Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gq91355 View Post

Quote:

Sorry to hear after YOUR 16 YEARS OF FREAKING LOYALTY, HONOR AND INTEGRITY, that dtv STILL screws u! Man after 16 years of their crap and they still could give it to u for free? They must know u will never cancel their service then eh? Cause ill tell u what: after that many years id have to let them know i would be done and def get some stuff off that bill as well as free sunday ticket, YES IT IS AWESOME AT $149 but shoot... Id def make it free
post #17 of 18 Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear after YOUR 16 YEARS OF FREAKING LOYALTY, HONOR AND INTEGRITY, that dtv STILL screws u! Man after 16 years of their crap and they still could give it to u for free? They must know u will never cancel their service then eh? Cause ill tell u what: after that many years id have to let them know i would be done and def get some stuff off that bill as well as free sunday ticket, YES IT IS AWESOME AT $149 but shoot... Id def make it free

No matter how long you are a customer, it's unrealistic to expect an exclusive feature for free. Although I didn't expect it, I got it free last year because I mentioned their ads for free ST to new customers. Last week, I got what I think is even a better deal (pay $148, get $540 in bill credits) because I mentioned their similar ads popping up online now.

Everyone's mileage will vary, but I have nothing but good things to say about DirecTV. I have received excellent customer service in these 16 years and, when I make my one (and only) call every year to negotiate ST, they always take care of me. I don't like the "nickel and dime" increases on the basic package, HD, and HBO but that's life. I'm not going to whine about it but, instead, I'm always very prepared for that annual phone call. And, so far so good!

I hope everyone gets a deal they think is fair. Looking forward to opening day, both the NFL and the NHL! Let's go Kings! cool.gif
post #18 of 18 Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Haha oh i see why we may disagree! Haha im a broncos fan as well as an avalanche fan! Yes lets go donkeys and avies!!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page