Fireworks 2013 - No Boston? - AVS Forum
HDTV Programming > Fireworks 2013 - No Boston?
dgreen's Avatar dgreen 03:39 PM 07-04-2013
In looking for the annual Boston Pops fireworks show, to the best I can find, it isn't to be found. CBS isn't picking it up so are any cable outlets?

Granted the editing to a one hour package left MUCH, MUCH to be desired, but it was something. It is such a shame that they sold out to CBS several years ago from the old A&E telecast that showcased the entire concert and fireworks display. That was the best.

Nayan's Avatar Nayan 04:15 PM 07-04-2013
kevin j's Avatar kevin j 06:16 PM 07-04-2013
You can blame NBC's showing the Macy's fireworks twice last year which syphoned off some of CBS's viewers making the Boston telecast's ratings drop by around 20 percent which then had the effect of CBS not picking up the telecast for this year.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928 06:20 PM 07-04-2013
I really, really, miss the original telecasts, played in their entirety, before CBS butchered it. I actually stopped watching the CBS telecasts because they were nothing, absolutely nothing, in comparison......
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 07:18 PM 07-04-2013
Too bad you guys don't get to see it. We're treated to the whole 3hrs. Great show, as usual.
kevin j's Avatar kevin j 08:32 PM 07-04-2013
Chicago's fireworks are on WGN/WGN America right now btw.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928 08:34 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Too bad you guys don't get to see it. We're treated to the whole 3hrs. Great show, as usual.
And I am very jealous! I have always thought that the Boston 4th was better than the DC 4th. I say that as someone who was on the Washington Mall on July 4th 1985......
jadziedzic's Avatar jadziedzic 08:54 PM 07-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I'd agree that it was a great show, but the presence of that annoyingly bright animated WBZ-TV logo ONLY during the fireworks portion was a real distraction. What was some idiot thinking? Why can't they respect the event that they're broadcasting?
LL3HD's Avatar LL3HD 10:15 AM 07-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

You can blame NBC's showing the Macy's fireworks twice last year which syphoned off some of CBS's viewers making the Boston telecast's ratings drop by around 20 percent which then had the effect of CBS not picking up the telecast for this year.
Really? That is the reason? Bummer. Even though CBS butchered the presentation, I still wanted to see it. Wish the local PBS feed was picked up in other markets.
nerbe1's Avatar nerbe1 07:40 AM 07-07-2013
.Fireworks without sound is like taking a shower wearing a raincoat. Here in Dallas we were treated to some good displays but the lack of sound was absurd. Feeling, as well as seeing and hearing, the explosions is truly thrilling. The whole presentation was very amateurish with the local NBC affiliate's presenters being totally flummoxed by a late start.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy 07:27 AM 07-08-2013
The "Capital Fourth" show on PBS wasn't too hot. They spend the first hour on musical acts that nobody really cares about. Then, when the fireworks actually start, they cut off the telecast before they're even finished. They really need to start later and finish later, IMO.

Best fireworks displays on television I've seen were on HDNet way back in the early days of HDTV. You saw it, you heard it, and you felt it. I remember one show where they went all over the world showing the most amazing fireworks shows. Ah, the good ol' days...
Up
Mobile  Desktop