Wimbedon Men's Final on ABC - DELAYED/EDITED ON WEST COAST AT NOON!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Unbelievable! Where is NBC when we really want them for "Breakfast at Wimbledon"!!!

All coverage on ESPN on the West Coast throughout these past two weeks has been LIVE, including yesterday's Women's Final.

Well for some crazy network "suit" decision, ABC/ESPN decided to delay the Men's Final today on the West Coast for a noon presentation. As you'd expect, given that the actual match had been played many many hours earlier, all web sites on the planet had the results of the match blasted at the top of their home pages. In fact, CNN even showed it as an urgent "BREAKING NEWS" banner at the VERY TOP of their home page, so you couldn't possibly avoid it. Every site showed a picture of Murray as "CHAMPION"!!!

And of course, this morning (BEFORE NOON!!!) out here in LA I made the unfortunate mistake of going to my computer and opening my browser and therefore going to my home page, which of course instantly told me the whole story about the results, before I'd actually had a chance to watch it for myself.

Ok... so now I knew what had happened. But I still was looking forward to at least watching it, and sharing in the excitement for the actual result itself (ending a 77-year drought for a winner by a Brit).

So then what do the geniuses running ABC/ESPN do in their already delayed West Coast presentation at noon??? THEY EDIT THE MATCH!!! THEY DON'T EVEN SHOW THE MATCH IT IN ITS ENTIRETY!!! After Murray had taken the first two sets and excitement was really building, THEY RESUME COVERAGE OF THE THIRD SET WITH THE SCORE ALREADY 2-1!!! The first three games of that third and final set DISAPPEARED by the "suits" at ABC sports in NY!!

In my wildest dreams I could never imagine doing this, nor how/why there might have been any justification.

After Murray wins the second set, they naturally break for a long extended commercial break. And come back with "we pick up the action with Murray leading 2-1 in the third set." What were they thinking... that this wasn't an exciting three games worth showing to their viewers?? This is the Men's Wimbledon Final, for chris' sake!

WTF???

Unbelievable. I am going to write/phone ABC and let them know this was a true insult to their viewers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Unbelievable! Where is NBC when we really want them for "Breakfast at Wimbledon"!!!

All coverage on ESPN on the West Coast throughout these past two weeks has been LIVE, including yesterday's Women's Final.

Well for some crazy network "suit" decision, ABC/ESPN decided to delay the Men's Final today on the West Coast for a noon presentation.

So what is that my DVR recorded at 5am on ESPN?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is not one to complain to as nothing was delayed.

2013 Wimbledon
ESPN Sun, 7/07, 9:00 AM 6 hrs
"Gentlemen's Championship from All-England Club in London"

Since ESPN got the entire Wimbledon event the finals have been rebroadcast on abc after the live broadcast on ESPN.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! I am an idiot!!!

For some reason, my DVR (actually Windows Media Center running on my HTPC) chose to schedule the noon version of the program on ABC, rather than the 6AM version on ESPN. I suspect it's because both shows have THE IDENTICAL TITLE in the Guide, so it was a "tie" of multiple airings and a decision about which one to record had to be made, in order to avoid a duplicate.

And I have two tuner types in my HTPC... one is a Ceton card for cable channels, and the other is a Hauppauge HVR-2250 for OTA/ATSC (roof antenna) recording of local network channels. Since TWC/LA re-compresses the local OTA network channels it carries (to reduce bandwidth requirements, since after all "nobody can tell the difference"), I have my OTA/ATSC tuner set up as having "preference" over the cablecard tuner, if there is ever the same program carried on both sources.

In today's situation, "2013 Wimbledon" as the title appeared to be a "duplicate" carried on both ESPN and ABC (later, but not described as "repeat"), so WMC must have "broken the tie" by picking the OTA/ATSC tuner channel 7.1... i.e. the delayed noon airing, rather than the cablecard ESPN tuner channel 424.

I can't believe I didn't notice that before now, or pre-check my "upcoming recordings" just to be sure all was well for this morning. If I'd done that, I would have clearly re-scheduled things to record the 6AM live broadcast on ESPN.

My fault. I'm an idiot! Nevertheless, ABC couldn't show those first three games of set 3 in their delayed broadcast? I guess they had a fixed size time slot and that was all they could fit, given the festivities and excitement that followed the match.

My own fault.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
ESPN2 showed it all last night preempting a lot of the regular programming. Nothing in the third set was dropped.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Tennis Channel also replayed the final on Sunday night with their own broadcasters...no McEnroe's. It was on the same time as the rebroadcast on ESPN2

I watched it live on the West Coast at 6am Sunday. Great match!

Afro GT
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page