Orange is the New Black (13 Episode Season Netflix Original) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just got added today and is being very well received. It's from the creator of Weeds, which is a show I enjoyed the first 3 seasons of before it went to hell. Just watched episode one and there's definitely potential here (Laura Prepon...aka Donna from That 70s Show topless within 10 seconds of the show starting worked for me). Netflix is really proving once again to be a good enough reason to dump my 70 dollar Directv bill. If only I didn't love sports so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
This has been added to my queue, and the positive reviews are great to hear after I was disappointed by Hemlock Grove.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #3 of 107 Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. Good trick to jump right into the prison part and then do some backstory during the episode. But the main character might want to worry if she left any apple pies behind for her fiancée. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 107 Old 07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. Good trick to jump right into the prison part and then do some backstory during the episode. But the main character might want to worry if she left any apple pies behind for her fiancée. biggrin.gif
Heard an interview with Jason Biggs yesterday on the radio, and he's very excited about his part on this. Apparently, he had to audition for the role and there was tough competition. Always like it when actors have to audition for something instead of just being given the role.

post #5 of 107 Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Really liking this show It's very addictive when you have the whole season on there at once.
post #6 of 107 Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've watched the first two episodes and like it so far. I question how realistic some of these scenarios are (I won't spoil), but overall, it seems like a premium cable type of show, with a good cast and production quality. This is the first Netflix produced show, I've watched, btw, so I didn't know what to expect.
post #7 of 107 Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Just finished the season last night, and was very impressed. Each episode features several "LOST-style" flashbacks, so you get to know how some of the inmates ended up in prison, which adds to some of the character traits. Luckily, they don't appear to be truly LOST-style, as there isn't any coincidental overlap of the characters histories wink.gif

The way the season ends, it begs for a season 2, so hopefully this is a success and Netflix will greenlight a second season.

post #8 of 107 Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Netflix ordered a second season before they had even released the first, so your wish has already come true.
post #9 of 107 Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watched first episode yesterday. Pretty funny and nice surprise scene with Laura Prepon. Hope there is more of that.
post #10 of 107 Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

Pretty funny and nice surprise scene with Laura Prepon. Hope there is more of that.

Presuming you mean nudity... after watching each season of Weeds they always managed to feature such at least once a season. It almost appeared as well it's time for this year's... let's get it out of the way... such as the bar scene.
post #11 of 107 Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So far I've seen the first 7 episodes.

Trying to figure out how the phone was charged biggrin.gif
KtrainHurricane likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #12 of 107 Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
finished the series the other day. what a breath of fresh air in terms of being written and acted well. Its a nice change from the lack luster shows as of late

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #13 of 107 Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I just watched the pilot episode last night after reading the first couple posts here (don't want to read spoilers). It's now officially on my to watch list. If the entire first season is anything like the pilot, this show moves near the top of my list!
post #14 of 107 Old 07-27-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

I just watched the pilot episode last night after reading the first couple posts here (don't want to read spoilers). It's now officially on my to watch list. If the entire first season is anything like the pilot, this show moves near the top of my list!

I watched the Pilot last night and just finished the final episode a few minutes ago. Wow, it was good. What an amazing cast of characters, especially the lead and who would have ever thought we'd see Capt. Janeway(Kate Mulgrew) playing a character like Red.

Any ideas when the 2nd season might show up, since they are breaking new ground with their series, I wonder if they might be putting out the series any quicker or slower. I would love to see a new season show up in a few months or so.
post #15 of 107 Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I love the accent by Yael Stone aka Lorna Morello:
Scene from Orange is the New Black starts at approximately 1:26 in the video:

post #16 of 107 Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've been noticing these episode are more standalone. There is some ongoing backstory but they could be watched in about any order.
post #17 of 107 Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

These episodes need to be seen in order.

The pregnancy storyline, the drug storyline in Red's kitchen, as well as the developing relationship of the main couple. Seeing those substories out-of-order would cause one to scratch their head.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #18 of 107 Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

These episodes need to be seen in order.

The pregnancy storyline, the drug storyline in Red's kitchen, as well as the developing relationship of the main couple. Seeing those substories out-of-order would cause one to scratch their head.

I agree that they need to be seen in order, it would take a lot away from the series to skip episodes(IMO), I would consider it pretty much a continuing story. Way too many characters and their stories as we learn more and more about their pasts and there seems to be a lot of dependence on earlier episodes. I can't imagine any reason I would want to not watch it in sequence.
post #19 of 107 Old 08-01-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 10
Let me preface by stating that I love the show and was really blown away by the finale. However, for some strange reason, (probably that I am too involved in the show- IT'S JUST A TV SHOW), I am unhappy over some of the plot points. Of anyone, Piper seems to me to be on of the more rational and human characters and yet her humanity is questioned by some of the other characters.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Larry's radio show appearance and the discussion between Crazy Suzanne and Piper really highlighted this. Red puts a used tampon in a muffin for Piper and proceeds to starve her out but Red is really a fine person taking care of her girls. Piper's morose roommate, who must have everything her way, is hurt that Piper was terrified of her- really? She didn't want it that way?? Crazy Suzanne, who stalked Piper during her fist few weeks in jail, is also hurt because she is a "nice person". Huh? She STALKED Piper, someone with no street smarts and no clue what was going on. How is she a nice person?? After all of this, Piper, who was stupid enough to try to be decent and true and sacrificed to get Doggett out of psyche, is the bad guy. (Doggett SOOOOOO belonged in the Psych Ward.) Are you kidding me? While they all did SOMETHING to end up in prison, many who are there are just evil and NOT people who took a wrong turn or got confused or made the wrong choice and, in some cases, I do wonder if this is being glossed over. Are some of these characters made up to be more sympathetic than they should be?

Again, love the show and can't wait for it to return with more episodes.

By the way, I believe this is a Federal Prison and is not maximum security. Does this mean that the people in this prison are not the worst offenders??
post #20 of 107 Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Y View Post

By the way, I believe this is a Federal Prison and is not maximum security. Does this mean that the people in this prison are not the worst offenders??
There is apparently a max prison down the street. Except for Miss Claudette, we haven't seen anyone else commit murder (and there is no indication that murder is why she was in prison in the first place... maybe she got away with it). Everyone else has done minor stuff like burglary or theft. Pennsatucky probably got a plea deal from her lawyer.

post #21 of 107 Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Anyone having issues with the surround sound? Voices are coming through front right speaker only for me....regardless of format I choose for processing on the av processor....

post #22 of 107 Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Gotta be your setup, somehow. All of the episode copies that I have do not have any audio issues,

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #23 of 107 Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gotta be your setup, somehow. All of the episode copies that I have do not have any audio issues,

5.1 is coming through fine for you? I thought it was my setup too so I tried a bunch of different options on the apple TV and on my Marantz processor to figure it out. The kicker is, that if I go to another netflix show like Breaking Bad 5.1 plays properly. Watched a Steve Jobs documentary that was in stereo and that played properly. For some reason Orange is the new black is messed up and the center channel is coming through the Front Right speaker. My system has been setup for a long time and so I'm pretty sure my settings are correct. I'll play some more.

I'll try it on another device like the oppo and see if it does the same thing.

post #24 of 107 Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

I do not watch via Netflix. I said that I have copies of the episodes. Those copies do not have channel assignment issues.

If every Netflix stream of these episodes had this issue, there would be a lot more people complaining here. Plus, the copies should have issues as well, considering the source.

It is strange that you are only having this issue with this series.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #25 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do not watch via Netflix. I said that I have copies of the episodes. Those copies do not have channel assignment issues.

If every Netflix stream of these episodes had this issue, there would be a lot more people complaining here. Plus, the copies should have issues as well, considering the source.

It is strange that you are only having this issue with this series.

Same thing with the Oppo 103. I can't figure it out....

post #26 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 AM

Liked: 11
Saw the whole season with the wife and we loved it! Can't wait for season 2.

Bxbigpipi
post #27 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Update on my possessed Netflix audio....after some playing around it appears that the first episode and last episode get perfect 5.1. Episodes 2-4 have a screwed up stream where its sending the center channel to the front right speaker. I'm not sure about the rest of the episodes, but that was enough to show me its something on my stream that is affected.

I'm just turning Dolby Digital off and will listen to it in 2.0.

As for the show, my wife and I have watched 4 episodes and really like it so far. Way exceeded my expectations!

post #28 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I also have the center channel audio out of the right speaker with my Apple TV.

Kaboom.
post #29 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I have the same audio issue!

All dialog is out the front right on my system.

I usually use PS3. I tried my X360, hoping it would pull from a different server, etc....Same issue.

First few episodes are fine.

It can't be our setup, if some episodes are fine. This is something on their end.
post #30 of 107 Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I also have the center channel audio out of the right speaker with my Apple TV.

Ok, at least a couple others are seeing this now. I put in a complaint on netflixes website so maybe they'll fix it.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page