Orange is the New Black - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #121 of 140 Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
And so the countdown begins for Season 3 .. looking forward to it ..
Young C and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 06-12-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Anyone start watching yet? netflix actually posted them about 6 hours early last night.
post #123 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Anyone start watching yet? netflix actually posted them about 6 hours early last night.
I watched the first episode. It was ok.
post #124 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
I watched the first episode. It was ok.
Just OK for me, too. It was really self-contained. Just kind of updating us on how everyone ended up after season 2. The only real tension conflict in the episode involved Daya-Bennett-Caputo. I'll probably wait until I finish a couple other series on Netflix before getting back into it...nothing I can't wait for.
post #125 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

What's the spolier rule in here with a series that releases all episodes of a season at once?

From the first episode, and the episode guides I have seen, Piper has less of a role this year. Probably a continuing trend as we know more about the other women.
post #126 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 773
You can basically post anything you want, because it isn't a spoiler if the episode has been relased already. That's why these Netflix threads generate a lot less traffic than the threads for traditional shows: nobody reads them until after watching the last episode, because you can't be sure that you'll be able to avoid spoilers from people who are further ahead than you are. Weekly episodes are far more conducive for discussions.
post #127 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can basically post anything you want, because it isn't a spoiler if the episode has been relased already. That's why these Netflix threads generate a lot less traffic than the threads for traditional shows: nobody reads them until after watching the last episode, because you can't be sure that you'll be able to avoid spoilers from people who are further ahead than you are. Weekly episodes are far more conducive for discussions.
Though there is no site rule against spoilers in Netflix originals threads, I noticed, at least in the Sense8 thread and in the Marco Polo thread, almost every poster has been courteous to put any specific plot points in spoiler tags. I hope that becomes the standard practice so we can discuss a show before seeing all the episodes. I personally don't watch more than 2-3 episodes of any given show per week.
post #128 of 140 Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Though there is no site rule against spoilers in Netflix originals threads, I noticed, at least in the Sense8 thread and in the Marco Polo thread, almost every poster has been courteous to put any specific plot points in spoiler tags. I hope that becomes the standard practice so we can discuss a show before seeing all the episodes. I personally don't watch more than 2-3 episodes of any given show per week.
While not a hard rule that I follow every time, when I post in these threads I usually try and note as to which episodes I've seen and then put my comments/questions in a spoiler tag, and I have noticed others do the same. But it's definitely not universal, it would be nice if it was though.
post #129 of 140 Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched episodes 2, 3 and 4 last night. Significantly better than the first.

Last edited by blitzen102; 06-16-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #130 of 140 Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm on episode 9 .. loving the way some backstory is provided on some of the ladies ..

I'd also recommend the Rolling Stone article to anyone that cares to read it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #131 of 140 Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'm on episode 9 .. loving the way some backstory is provided on some of the ladies ..

I'd also recommend the Rolling Stone article to anyone that cares to read it ..
I finished it the first weekend, but definitely agree, the back stories are some of my favorite parts of the series.
post #132 of 140 Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 721
I came late to Orange is the New Black so have seen only the first 7 episodes of Season 1. The show is often hysterically funny but can be hard to take at times. So far, the plusses outweigh the minuses so I am onboard for the long haul.

Let me add my thanks to those who have avoided spoilers with the use of spoiler tags. It was much appreciated.
post #133 of 140 Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I thought season 3 was lousy despite the season starting out well. For me, season 2 was mediocre compared to season 1 yet compared to season 3, season 2 is great. That's how bad season 3 ended up being for me.

I have little hope for season 4 being good and that the show will ultimately end up being a one season wonder for me.
post #134 of 140 Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Finished off Season 3 last night .. my opinion is, it's the best season so far .. I have no explanation how, as a viewer, I've been drawn into the story of these women, yet I laugh, I think about a scene and I feel somehow a part of their journey .. watching Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) gradually morph from where she started to now, season 3 more focused on life within the prison and backstories .. Caputo's struggle to do the right thing .. the humanity displayed in so many ways .. this season seemed a degree or two darker than 1 and 2 ..

Great TV .. and Jason Biggs .. ?? It's better without him ..
gwsat likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #135 of 140 Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Finished off Season 3 last night .. my opinion is, it's the best season so far .. I have no explanation how, as a viewer, I've been drawn into the story of these women, yet I laugh, I think about a scene and I feel somehow a part of their journey .. watching Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) gradually morph from where she started to now, season 3 more focused on life within the prison and backstories .. Caputo's struggle to do the right thing .. the humanity displayed in so many ways .. this season seemed a degree or two darker than 1 and 2 ..

I think I've liked it better each season, love the back stories, the Chang story was pretty good or at least I enjoyed it.
post #136 of 140 Old 06-25-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I think I've liked it better each season, love the back stories, the Chang story was pretty good or at least I enjoyed it.

The weirdness of Chang did get fleshed out an in a strange way, was one of the more compelling stories ..

Uncle Willie

post #137 of 140 Old 06-25-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more, although so far I have seen only Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. I have come to care for those girls; they alternately make me laugh and cry. some of the funny stuff is world class and the show has moved me on occasion. For example, in the first episode,
Spoiler!
I don't think I have laughed harder in my life.

Jason Biggs, as Piper's fiance, Bloom, has never done much for me, either. I'm sure I won't miss him in Season 3.
post #138 of 140 Old 06-26-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Came across a fun fact last night. I was impressed by how well some of the girls in the Christmas show in Season 1 could sing. I then discovered that Danielle Brooks, who plays Taystee, and Samira Wiley, who plays Poussey, are Julliard graduates. No wonder they can sing.
post #139 of 140 Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Came across a fun fact last night. I was impressed by how well some of the girls in the Christmas show in Season 1 could sing. I then discovered that Danielle Brooks, who plays Taystee, and Samira Wiley, who plays Poussey, are Julliard graduates. No wonder they can sing.
I'll add that Lea DeLaria is an excellent comedian and Jazz Singer .. she grew up near my neck of the woods and I've attended a couple of her local performances .. it's tough to make the association with Carrie 'Big Boo' Black but she is a very, very good jazz singer ..

Uncle Willie

post #140 of 140 Old 06-27-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll add that Lea DeLaria is an excellent comedian and Jazz Singer .. she grew up near my neck of the woods and I've attended a couple of her local performances .. it's tough to make the association with Carrie 'Big Boo' Black but she is a very, very good jazz singer ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJ7d9rePCU
Yeah, several of the girls could really sing. I hope that nobody thinks I am sexist when I refer to these women as "girls." It's just that most of them are younger than my youngest daughter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming