Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 561 Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe I am jaded but I don't see Hayden/Kat lasting in the long run. smile.gif

Tyson and his gf either, they seem content now, but Tyson's possibilities will open up between the fame and money. A different dynamic now, ha...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 561 Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

it always amazes me how random this game is. Not that the people at the end generally don't play a better game but so many parts of luck and fortune. Ciera and Katie both easily could have gone home early for struggling at challenges (even puzzles) but through luck of the draw and not being targets, they were allowed to keep around.

It wasn't anything that they did in particular as much as pure chance.

Now, Ciera is thought of so highly? So much can change on a dime. She wasn't a bad player, but just not as good strategically as she thought. She had an inflated opinion of herself for sure.
The randomness of the game is what makes it so much fun. It is always up to the players to take advantage when they get breaks that might help them. Ciera seemed to just fritter away her chances but she will probably be asked back again. The vets showed again how hard it is for newbies to win against experienced players. I did enjoy this season though despite the fact that we had returning players again.
Congratulations to Tyson, and kudos to the jury for not being butt hurt.
post #543 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33idolfinder View Post

Ciera, since the merge, did everything she would have done if she wanted to make sure Tyson will win. And the opposite of what she would have done if she wanted to win.
Without her, Tyson would be out quickly.

It's down to who you can trust, and who you take to the end.

You can trust your loved one, so you only need to trust two more people. With your loved ones that is 6 votes and you control everything. You control everything, with minimum risk. It's super easy. Find two like you (Katie and Vytas) that want the same (eliminate big physical threats and go to the final with the best chance).

Most of them were already in an alliance. And besides, they have equal chance at final 6 to win this. The 4 women had every reason to think they can vote out Aras and Vytas (that would be a guaranteed final 4 for Ciera with 50/50 chance to win the money). And Aras and Vytas had every reason to think they can win the immunity and go to final 3.

One more reason for Ciera for this aliance is that she takes to the final 6 people that have previously won (so they don't get jury votes).

If Ciera had taken that road, she would have probably won the money.
But would that be interesting TV? Not betraying her mother? I say yes. Others don't think so. wink.gif

It's for a million! 1.000.000!!! Most people have to work 100 years to earn that money!

So you don't trust anyone, you don't volunteer to give immunity to the other tribe, you don't throw challenges (unless you control your tribe and have loyal people on the other tribe). You don't burn clues and you search for the idol from the first day (even with 10 people behind you). You don't sacrifice yourself "for my people", and you never let strong people to the final 4, especially if they appear in control of the game (jury 90% of the time votes for the "backstabber - manipulator- decision maker").

And if someone betrays your trust, and cost you 1.000.000, you don't smile to him, you don't hug him, you don't vote for him! Even if you did the same to others! Right or wrong doesn't matter! You are just mad because you are human! Yes, some are better than others, some forgive. 1/100 maybe. For 1.000.000 reasons.
post #544 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

It's for a million! 1.000.000!!! Most people have to work 100 years to earn that money!

So you don't trust anyone, you don't volunteer to give immunity to the other tribe, you don't throw challenges (unless you control your tribe and have loyal people on the other tribe). You don't burn clues and you search for the idol from the first day (even with 10 people behind you). You don't sacrifice yourself "for my people", and you never let strong people to the final 4, especially if they appear in control of the game (jury 90% of the time votes for the "backstabber - manipulator- decision maker").

And if someone betrays your trust, and cost you 1.000.000, you don't smile to him, you don't hug him, you don't vote for him! Even if you did the same to others! Right or wrong doesn't matter! You are just mad because you are human! Yes, some are better than others, some forgive. 1/100 maybe. For 1.000.000 reasons.
That may be a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? So you're saying "most people" make only $10,000 per year??? A few people... yes, most people... I don't think so. That being said, however, $1,000,000 is still a lot of money and I do think "most people" on the show would do whatever is necessary to enhance their chances to win.
post #545 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I think it's easy for us armchair quarterbacks to say "game = million". After 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 days it's probably very easy to lose sight of the million and drift. That's happened to quite a few contestants. Plus they only have ONE social group - the other players (or perhaps only their specific alliance). Add to that undernourishment, borderline starvation and dehydration, and a routine of doing something important every 3 days.
post #546 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That may be a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? So you're saying "most people" make only $10,000 per year??? A few people... yes, most people... I don't think so. That being said, however, $1,000,000 is still a lot of money and I do think "most people" on the show would do whatever is necessary to enhance their chances to win.

10,000 a year is well below the poverty line indeed and nowhere near median income or income of contestants on this show.

Would love the chance to win the million and honestly, almost equally important, would be the chance to be Soul Survivor. You can't put a price tag on that. I think while playing the game that would mean as much to me as the money prize. After I got back home or after a few years, the money might be more important. Set yourself up with bigger house, flashier car, children's college education, etc.

But when you get in that competition, you just want to win! It is a MUCH smaller scale but I am in the finals of my Fantasy Football league with my long-time friends. I want to win more for the title and bragging rights than for the money prize! biggrin.gif
post #547 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Really .. ?? Trust is an integral part of the Game and ultimate betrayal is also an integral part of the game .. that's just the way it is .. it is impossible to not backstab / manipulate in order to make it to Final .. where the Jury rewards Outlast / Outwit / Outplay ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #548 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Really .. ?? Trust is an integral part of the Game and ultimate betrayal is also an integral part of the game .. that's just the way it is .. it is impossible to not backstab / manipulate in order to make it to Final .. where the Jury rewards Outlast / Outwit / Outplay ..

Sure, at some level yes, like everyday life. I was talking about the high levels of trust and betrayal and manipulation. You don't need them. It's easier without them!
post #549 of 561 Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I meant most can't make 1.000.000 from their work. And I was thinking outside US, like EU, with 27% unemployment in the south and basic salary around $ 10.000. But even in US, with 50.000.000 poor people and 35-40 average working years, we are talking about a lifetime. So, even in the US, for most (that is more than 50%) it's a lifetime. It's a lot of money!!

You can't forget about it. You are hungry, tired, suffering, alone with strangers. Why? For the money!

Unless you are rich, or know that you can't get it. wink.gif
post #550 of 561 Old 12-19-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant most can't make 1.000.000 from their work. And I was thinking outside US, like EU, with 27% unemployment in the south and basic salary around $ 10.000. But even in US, with 50.000.000 poor people and 35-40 average working years, we are talking about a lifetime. So, even in the US, for most (that is more than 50%) it's a lifetime. It's a lot of money!!

You can't forget about it. You are hungry, tired, suffering, alone with strangers. Why? For the money!

Unless you are rich, or know that you can't get it. wink.gif
I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. Why would you be thinking outside the US, specifically the EU? How many Survivor contestants come from there? I think you are shooting yourself in the foot with your faulty math assumptions. Heck, even a person who makes the current minimum wage of $7.25/hour and works 40 hours per week (yes, I know most minimum wage earners may not work 40 hours per week) would earn $15,080 per year, or 66 years to earn that million.

However, the AVERAGE high school graduate earns a bit over $30,000/year so that would be "just" 33 years to earn that minimum. Going up one more step, the AVERAGE starting salary for current college graduates with "only" a bachelor's degree is $45,327. Even assuming no raises, that person would make a $1,000,000 in just over 22 years.

So, yes, over the course of a working career, I think most people have a good shot of earning $1,000,000. Getting it all at once like the winner of Survivor would be the icing on the cake. smile.gif
post #551 of 561 Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
...and doing a bit more math....

after taxes, most folks will have about 500K left to spend. If they buy the median home (200K) they are left with 300K. After blowing some of the money on a car and vacation and friends there won't be much left - this is the typical trend of folks who come into a sizable chunk of money.cool.gif
post #552 of 561 Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

after taxes, most folks will have about 500K left to spend. If they buy the median home (200K) they are left with 300K. After blowing some of the money on a car and vacation and friends there won't be much left - this is the typical trend of folks who come into a sizable chunk of money.cool.gif

Yeah .. as I read the money comments, the taxation kept running thru my brain as well .. a million sounds nice, but it's not really a million .. and don't forget the friends and relatives that pop out of the woodwork with cup in hand ..

Just ask Richard Hatch .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #553 of 561 Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Not having a car and mortage payment wouldn't be half bad...
post #554 of 561 Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just in case anyone's interested.... Jeff Probst is going to be on Two and a Half Men this week... 1/9/14

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #555 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. Why would you be thinking outside the US, specifically the EU? How many Survivor contestants come from there? I think you are shooting yourself in the foot with your faulty math assumptions. Heck, even a person who makes the current minimum wage of $7.25/hour and works 40 hours per week (yes, I know most minimum wage earners may not work 40 hours per week) would earn $15,080 per year, or 66 years to earn that million.

However, the AVERAGE high school graduate earns a bit over $30,000/year so that would be "just" 33 years to earn that minimum. Going up one more step, the AVERAGE starting salary for current college graduates with "only" a bachelor's degree is $45,327. Even assuming no raises, that person would make a $1,000,000 in just over 22 years.

So, yes, over the course of a working career, I think most people have a good shot of earning $1,000,000. Getting it all at once like the winner of Survivor would be the icing on the cake. smile.gif

You said it, you did it!
My numbers have meaning, yours mean nothing, even if they are true! You need more to make a reasonable argument, can't you see it? smile.gif
And you pretty much end up around my "life time" comment so, you don't really have to disagree with me! Let's face it, you have no reason to disagree. Well, with that one.

I like to think globally. Recently I read about the selection of 1058 (297 from US) for the Mars One project. They are negotiating with TV networks for the next selection phase. And I am thinking, why not survivor?! Maybe not the regular, but some special edition! Not the 1.000.000 price, but a place in the final 24 to go to Mars!
It would be fun, no? smile.gif
post #556 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You said it, you did it!
My numbers have meaning, yours mean nothing, even if they are true! You need more to make a reasonable argument, can't you see it? smile.gif
And you pretty much end up around my "life time" comment so, you don't really have to disagree with me! Let's face it, you have no reason to disagree. Well, with that one.

I like to think globally. Recently I read about the selection of 1058 (297 from US) for the Mars One project. They are negotiating with TV networks for the next selection phase. And I am thinking, why not survivor?! Maybe not the regular, but some special edition! Not the 1.000.000 price, but a place in the final 24 to go to Mars!
It would be fun, no? smile.gif
Yawn...
post #557 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 AM
Thread Ender

I'm sorry I said anything . . .

They consider THIS
post #558 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I'm sorry I said anything . . .
The "yawn" wasn't for you!! smile.gif
post #559 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

The "yawn" wasn't for you!! smile.gif

I know... But if I hadn't posted about "2-1/2 Men" then maybe the old argument about the prize money would not have been resurrected . . . rolleyes.gif

They consider THIS
post #560 of 561 Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I know... But if I hadn't posted about "2-1/2 Men" then maybe the old argument about the prize money would not have been resurrected . . . rolleyes.gif

Although I don't watch 2.5 Men, I do appreciate the heads up .. prize money rehash notwithstanding .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #561 of 561 Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

bump link to new season thread ,,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506013/survivor-cagayan-season-28-cbs#post_24356676

Survivor: Cagayan CBS HD February 26, 2014

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page