Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 228 Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anybody out there still watching?

I thought James Wolpert (computer geek guy) singing Joni Mitchell's A Case Of You barebones with only his guitar was remarkable. He shot from # nothing to top of the heap in one phrase of that song and only went higher after I downloaded it later. Great song done to perfection. I hope he stays in that slot. For me, he will have the Jamaican singer in close pursuit until someone else comes from nowhere, which we all hope for and is why we watch.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 228 Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
His blind audition song was great too. Never heard the song before, but I loved what he did. He's one of my favorites. Preston is too. Jamaican girls is good but nothing different than any other decent singer out there. I just don't care about her. What's different is seeing an asian girl speak with a Jamaican accent.

Watching the 2nd live show now.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #93 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Jacquie is unbelievable, especially for her age. That is some serious power coming out of her. eek.gif

I have to say, I wasn't a fan of the order for the 2nd show. Why did they have all of CeeLo's team go first and then Christina's? Usually they alternate back and forth with maybe one team getting two in a row. It almost feels like a punishment of sorts to me as the freshest in someone's mind will garner more votes. I honestly don't even remember who was the first to go after Jacquie's amazing performance.
post #94 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Jacquie is unbelievable, especially for her age. That is some serious power coming out of her. eek.gif

I have to say, I wasn't a fan of the order for the 2nd show. Why did they have all of CeeLo's team go first and then Christina's? Usually they alternate back and forth with maybe one team getting two in a row. It almost feels like a punishment of sorts to me as the freshest in someone's mind will garner more votes. I honestly don't even remember who was the first to go after Jacquie's amazing performance.

I've not really had time to gather my thoughts up on this weeks shows, although I have watched them .. I will say this .. the conspiracy theory brain cell in my head has this nagging thought that Xtina is being set up for the win this season .. or at least given a bit of "extra" push ..

Generally, I still like Adams team overall .. CeeLo's people last night were, for me anyway, a bit bland ..

Jacquie blew me away .. the kid can flat out belt it out ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #95 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I am guessing that this week -

Adam's team: Will Champlin & Grey go, leaving James Wolpert, Tessanne Chin & Preston Pohl;

Ceelo's team: Jonny Gray & Amber Nicole go, leaving Caroline Pennell, Kat Robichaud & Tamara Chauniece;

Blake's team: Cole Vosbury & Austin Jenckes go, leaving Ray Boudreaux, Nic Hawk & Shelbie Z;

Christina's team: Olivia Henken & Stephanie Anne Johnson go, leaving Matthew Schuler, Jacquie Lee & Josh Logan.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists/

post #96 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Will is boring to me and there is probably a reason why he's been bounced around from team to team. He obviously hasn't been good enough to warrant being kept around.

Grey, while looking hot, sounded disconnected from the song. It just didn't work well for her and it's a shame because she is quite good.

Was it Shakira last season who had one of her artists doing a disco song and it backfired? CeeLo giving Tamara "I Will Survive" (which I consider disco) might be the kiss of death. Hopefully not because she deserves to go far.

I personally like Jonny, but that was awful and painful to listen to. As soon as it was said what song he would be singing in practice, I knew it was going to be a trainwreck and it certainly was.

If Nic Hawk somehow survives, he needs to do "Ice Ice Baby" before he goes. tongue.gif
That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw his look. Aside from that, I don't see his appeal.

If I were Matthew I would not be thrilled about doing Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball" because it's pretty much considered a joke with that video. I'd be afraid that would hurt me.

I also like Josh, but for God's sake that was horrendous. It sounded like he was mumbling and speaking in tongues the whole song. You couldn't even understand what he was saying.

I don't recall previous seasons having a day in between the performances and the results. Are they trying to get more data from iTunes to see who really is selling instead of a simple overnight push?
post #97 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been watching "dead wood week" as I call it, since 8 people are going home. Some artists obviously staying, a few toss ups, and a couple DOA's. It's good to see them perform live anyway. Team Christina seems strong so far.

I probably won't watch the elimination show tonight, just read a recap instead.
post #98 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what the iTunes stats looked like after the first two nights, but right now Cole is the only one in the Top 100. He currently sits at #87.
post #99 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

I have been watching "dead wood week" as I call it, since 8 people are going home. Some artists obviously staying, a few toss ups, and a couple DOA's. It's good to see them perform live anyway. Team Christina seems strong so far.

I probably won't watch the elimination show tonight, just read a recap instead.

I'll probably wait for the recap too .. three shows this week eek.gif

I just wish they would bring the band out more ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #100 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
CeeLo's song choices are always a little questionable to me. The dude's musical tastes are just a little bit different from the mainstream, which is why I think his team will always struggle a bit. Tougher to get votes from teenyboppers when the songs are a little bit obscure.

I think each team has some really decent singers, and a few stinkers too. Hopefully as someone mentioned above, we can get rid of some of the dead weight this week and have some really great live shows going forward.

I also thought that A Great Big World and Xtina were the highlight of the second night.
post #101 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I had to skip most of the singers because I just couldn't sit through it. Jacqui was one of them. I don't think she's as good as everyone else thinks.

Someone mentioned itunes numbers so I'm looking now. Here's what I see:

James Wolpert#14
Caroline Pennel #20
Jacqui Lee #28
Matthew Schuler #31
Caroline Pennel #74 Last week's song I think
Will Champlain #91
Austin Jenckes #110
Cole Vosbury #113
Tessane Chin #116
Caroline Pennel #123 different song, no idea which week these other 2 songs are from, but the #20 song is from the latest show.
Ray Boudreaux #128
Cole Vosbury #130

I like those numbers, it gives me the feeling Caroline is going to win, and I think that's a good thing.

I hated, HATED, Josh's version of Crazy.

How many people do they end up with for next week? Anyway, my team choices would be:
Adam - Preston, Tessanne, James
Blake - Cole, Ray, Austin
Christina - Jacqui, Matthew, Olivia
Ceelo - Caroline, Tamara, Kat

Edit: Just going through and listening to all those songs and missed Cole's song at #113 and Ray at #128

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #102 of 228 Old 11-07-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The first night of the live rounds (Blake and Adam) was much better than the second night. Mostly, it was because of horrible song selections by Celo and Christina.
post #103 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Very much losing interest fast.

After all these seasons, the show continues to never have any negative reviews by any judge of any performance. It is simply one adoration after another... "awesome, you know I love you, you look beautiful tonight by the way...". Simply a waste of time. More awful than Carson's emcee'ing. No matter that many performances are sheer screaming and shrieking and vocal histrionics, trying to get out that "big note" which inevitably botches both the song and the performance, there is never a bad word spoken by any judge. As much as American Idol is crap, at least the judges will say "that didn't do it for me, sorry". You absolutely NEVER hear that on Voice.

Watching the "results" show tonight took me 10 minutes, to fast-forward through all the chaff. What a waste of time.

Watching the live shows the past few nights" again took very little time, as all that's required is to watch the performances. Skip the prelude setup package, and skip the entire judge's comments. Doesn't matter what the performance was, the judge's comments come from robots.

I like "Regina Spektor", and that's it. The rest are worthless.

Sorry. Each season I hope it will change, but this formula just doesn't work for me once we get to this portion of the season.
post #104 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Awful, simply awful! I cannot believe some of the contestants that got cut last night.

Team Adam
While not a fan of James Wolpert (especially after butchering Boston's "More Than a Feeling"), he did do enough to warrant moving on.
I'm a fan of Tessanne, so to me it was a no brainer moving forward.
As I said earlier, Grey looked hot, but didn't connect with that song so I was fine with her going.
Here is where I strongly disagree. While I wasn't as big a fan of Preston as some of you appear to be, he did have chops. That was an absolute travesty for Adam to pick boring Will over him. Hell, even when Adam said "My choice will probably surprise a lot of you" you could see on Preston's face that he knew he was gone. What a joke.

Team Blake
Nic Hawk had no business being this far to begin with so I was perfectly fine with him going.
I'm sorry, but to me Austin and Cole are one in the same. I honestly don't see any difference between them. Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but I don't think they both needed to move on. One would have been enough.
I picked Ray to be the eventual winner so I'm fine with him moving forward.
How the hell does Shelbie Z get cut? That girl has some pipes on her. What's the matter, too fat to take a chance on moving forward? rolleyes.gif

Team Christina
Jacquie and Matthew are absolute dynamos and were no brainers moving forward.
I was fine with Stephanie going because like Will she was bounced around from team to team, so it was obvious she didn't make a strong impression as she moved on.
A little bummed that Olivia didn't make it and a bit surprised Christina didn't go with her. With Blake letting Shelbie go, this was a perfect opportunity for someone other than Blake to have a female country artist and we all know how America loves Country. She made a big mistake there IMO.
That leaves Josh. Did Christina not listen to his performance of "Crazy"? Seriously, how did that mumbled garbage deserve moving forward?

Team CeeLo
Caroline, while not my favorite style, has a following, so she was moving on no matter what she sang.
Kat has that crazy rocker thing going for her that CeeLo always seems to find success with for a while until it becomes stale. I like her so I was cool with her moving on.
Amber, while being good, didn't seem to have the following of others, so if anyone had to go it would be her.
Jonny? REALLY? Come on America! Granted, he's a very likeable guy, but his singing leaves a lot to be desired. There is no way he deserves to be there, especially at the expense of others.
That brings me to Tamara, who IMO is the biggest travesty of the night. That girl can flat out SING and was easily a favorite to win it all. To get cut this early, especially at the expense of Jonny is pathetic!

Now, while I picked Ray Boudreaux to win it all, Jacquie and Matthew are hard to bet against after the first nights. I'm going with one of those three, but right now I'm not sure which.
post #105 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
@DSperber

That's what we do and have been doing since the beginning! XTina is a babbling fool and it's hard to listen to creepy Cee Lo without thinking about his recent date rape charge. Oh and the fake banter between the other two is beyond old. Just listening to performances is the only way to go. That being said, The Voice still beats AI any day of the week.
post #106 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

That brings me to Tamara, who IMO is the biggest travesty of the night. That girl can flat out SING and was easily a favorite to win it all. To get cut this early, especially at the expense of Jonny is pathetic!

Obviously song choice killed her performance before she even sang the first line. "I Will Survive" is just a bad karaoke joke at this point. Nobody is going to cheer for that, and they damn sure aren't going to pay for it on iTunes.
post #107 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Obviously song choice killed her performance before she even sang the first line. "I Will Survive" is just a bad karaoke joke at this point. Nobody is going to cheer for that, and they damn sure aren't going to pay for it on iTunes.

^^^ this .. she herself did not even look like she was that much into it anyway ..

On some of the comments about the Coaches banter .. they are not called Judges for a reason .. since Season One, what the Coaches have continually said is "Their job on the Voice is to Coach and Mentor" .. that was one of the original concepts of the show .. and there is a degree of criticism inserted at times .. but still done as more of a tip or a need for improvement comment than just a flat out "You Sucked" ... tongue.gif

I will agree that the commentary tends to get old .. and when a contestant gets booted by a Coach after comments like "You Could Walk on Water" from just two days before, it can be a little irritating to me .. but, at the end of the day, I firmly believe the Coach picks the contestant that they think they can advance the farthest .. and a number of things come into play on that .. but I believe Nick David proved that sheer talent can overcome looks ..

I liked Stephanie Johnson because I like the quality of her voice .. she has great control, she sings like she means it and she takes me back to the days of the great Jazz and Blues female vocalists .. it's just personal preference ..

I agree with Tom fully on Jonny Gray .. nice guy, mediocre singer ..

Tamara should have been Cee Lo's save

Preston, while a great singer, really continued to almost mimic Eddie Kendricks ..

The one thing that bugs me about Wolpert is Adam really going against his own rule "The best singer should advance" .. because, when Wolpert butchered "More Than a Feeling" .. if Adam had used his own rule, Wolpert would have gone home .. although, I think he did redeem himself with the Joni Mitchell tune ..

Uncle Willie

post #108 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Wow, I haven't watched, but that wrap up makes it a lot easier for me to skip it smile.gif

Preston got booted? I don't even know what to say to that. I'd like to know if these coaches are actually responsible for any of these decisions. There is a lot of crap going on behind the scenes that we never see.

James did butcher More Than a Feeling, but he probably did better than anyone else would have done. It's not easy to sing like Brad Delp. All the other songs he had done were good.

I don't think Austin and Cole are alike at all. Yeah, white guy with guitar, but different tone, different styles/genre of music. I would pick Cole over Austin but both of them over Shelby. I hate country music in the first place and I feel any country singer is interchangeable with any other. There's an extremely few singers that stand out. Shelby is just like any other, plus she's fat and the county music business is more narcissistic than any other.

Josh is horrendous really, the more I listen to him, the more I hate him. He's like a chameleon. He sounds a lot like all the singers he's trying to imitate, but has no sound of his own. Also the vibrato on a few of the notes on his Crazy song sound so phony, like he was doing it with his jaw.

Johnny Gray, another pure snoozefest. I can't say if he's good or not because I can't take the time to listen to him. I don't like his singing his monotone crap.

Kat is another one that I don't like. She's good I guess, just not for me.

Do any of the Voice contestants that don't make it all the way ever get any record deals? I know you guys all hate AI, but they support a lot of the runner-ups.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #109 of 228 Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

James did butcher More Than a Feeling, but he probably did better than anyone else would have done. It's not easy to sing like Brad Delp. All the other songs he had done were good.

"More Than a Feeling" should never have been selected as a song in the first place, IMO .. Brad Delp, may he rest in piece, was one of those singers that simply defined the song .. now, if the producers cruised YouTube and accidentally found some Phillipino singer that miraculously sounded a lot like Steve Perry .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

post #110 of 228 Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I don't think Austin and Cole are alike at all. Yeah, white guy with guitar, but different tone, different styles/genre of music. I would pick Cole over Austin but both of them over Shelby. I hate country music in the first place and I feel any country singer is interchangeable with any other. There's an extremely few singers that stand out. Shelby is just like any other, plus she's fat and the county music business is more narcissistic than any other.

I just went back and watched all their performances and I still feel they are very similar. I get a very bluesy, southern feel to both of their voices.

As for Shelbie, I see what you are saying, but that obviously hasn't stopped Miranda Lambert from being a big star. Granted, she became a name when she was thinner, but she got quite large. Unless she has gone on the Aguilera diet since the last time I saw her, her weight hasn't hurt her in the business.

Anyway, in other news, I'm really getting tired of this social media garbage. I guess all these votes (besides the top vote getter) don't even matter as you can now save someone using Twitter the next night. rolleyes.gif
Instant Save
post #111 of 228 Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I just went back and watched all their performances and I still feel they are very similar. I get a very bluesy, southern feel to both of their voices.

As for Shelbie, I see what you are saying, but that obviously hasn't stopped Miranda Lambert from being a big star. Granted, she became a name when she was thinner, but she got quite large. Unless she has gone on the Aguilera diet since the last time I saw her, her weight hasn't hurt her in the business.

Anyway, in other news, I'm really getting tired of this social media garbage. I guess all these votes (besides the top vote getter) don't even matter as you can now save someone using Twitter the next night. rolleyes.gif
Instant Save
I guess you didn't watch Wednesday's CMA Awards or any of the shows the next day where they talked about Miranda's weight loss. And, on Miranda's heaviest days she still would have looked thin next to Shelbie Z.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20316530_20753161,00.html
post #112 of 228 Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I guess you didn't watch Wednesday's CMA Awards or any of the shows the next day where they talked about Miranda's weight loss. And, on Miranda's heaviest days she still would have looked thin next to Shelbie Z.

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20316530_20753161,00.html

I like Country music, but I really don't follow it.

Damn, she looks good again!
post #113 of 228 Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Instant Save
I noticed they'd deep-sixed Christina Millian "in the Social Media Skybox" this season. It's now done occasionally by Carson, who after all apparently is "so young and hip and now" (clearly NBC sees this in him, per his hiring on "Today" to bring in a younger viewer) and into all of this. I'm nauseous!

Couldn't have happened fast enough for me as I found her UNBELIEVABLY ANNOYING, although I had long ago trained my fingers to have muscle memory in order to instantly and reflexively hit FF whenever her cloyingly grating voice would start from "high above...".

Good riddance to her.

Really, this show has LOTS of flaws in its desire to appeal to an audience. I agree that this "social media" crap makes it worse in my opinion, not better... at least in terms of appealing to an older viewer such as myself (clearly not the show's target demo).
post #114 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I noticed they'd deep-sixed Christina Millian "in the Social Media Skybox" this season. It's now done occasionally by Carson, who after all apparently is "so young and hip and now" (clearly NBC sees this in him, per his hiring on "Today" to bring in a younger viewer) and into all of this. I'm nauseous!

Couldn't have happened fast enough for me as I found her UNBELIEVABLY ANNOYING, although I had long ago trained my fingers to have muscle memory in order to instantly and reflexively hit FF whenever her cloyingly grating voice would start from "high above...".

Good riddance to her.

Really, this show has LOTS of flaws in its desire to appeal to an audience. I agree that this "social media" crap makes it worse in my opinion, not better... at least in terms of appealing to an older viewer such as myself (clearly not the show's target demo).

+100

I had not noticed that Millian had been canned until mentioned here. I, too, had a ready trigger finger poised to hit "skip" the instant her mug appeared. That reflex has been well-trained in anticipation of Progressive Insurance ads intruding on my well being.

post #115 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As an older viewer as well, if I feel that undeserving people are able to continue on because of this Instant Save nonsense, then this may be the last season for me.

It's not that I don't get Twitter or anything like that, I just feel this makes a mockery of traditional ways of voting and makes them irrelevant now. It's bad enough using iTunes to give huge bonuses to those who finish highest each week. Now, who cares what millions of Americans think after voting for hours, let just undo all of that in 5 minutes of Tweets. rolleyes.gif
post #116 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Explain to me again how "instant save" works out West where the show is not live?

post #117 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Explain to me again how "instant save" works out West where the show is not live?

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea.

They probably expect you guys to sit on Twitter during the live portion and then vote without watching the actual show.
So, in essence, who cares if you are still at work or eating dinner when it's time to vote live on East Coast time. Get to tweeting! rolleyes.gif
post #118 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

That reflex has been well-trained in anticipation of Progressive Insurance ads intruding on my well being.
If you watch the "nightly news" and other true mass-market large viewership shows, have you noticed that probably 25% of TV ads are those "subliminal" mind-numbing repetitive, soothing, pleasant, we're-doing-good-for-the-planet, dreamlike and almost PSA-like ads produced by The Natural Gas Industry. They must spend $500 million on TV ads each year, trying to seduce us.

They're trying to make us believe that the total destruction they are doing to the planet and our entire water system through fracking to produce natural gas IS A GOOD THING... BECAUSE IT CREATES JOBS!!

You really wouldn't know that these are ads, nor what they're selling or who's' produced them, until the very end... and even then only from the words on the bottom of the screen.

This is true brainwashing propaganda from just about the most uncaring and evil industrial organization on the planet... and you'd think they're rocking your baby to sleep by the tone of these ads. The methane leaked into the atmosphere by fracking is 20 times more toxic than the CO2 produced by coal-burning power plants, but from these ads you'd think that this was a GOOD THING for all of us!

Talk about muscle-memory for the FF button. As soon as I hear the music and droning voice, I push FF.
post #119 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good riddance to her.

Could not agree more .. do we know for certain she's gone .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #120 of 228 Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As an older viewer as well, if I feel that undeserving people are able to continue on because of this Instant Save nonsense, then this may be the last season for me.

It's not that I don't get Twitter or anything like that, I just feel this makes a mockery of traditional ways of voting and makes them irrelevant now. It's bad enough using iTunes to give huge bonuses to those who finish highest each week. Now, who cares what millions of Americans think after voting for hours, let just undo all of that in 5 minutes of Tweets. rolleyes.gif

I believe the intentional swaying of the vote thru this as well as iTunes is unfair to the competitors as the young demographic is the prime source of the vote .. I believe it happened last year on iTunes and I also believe the producers know it and use it to further who they feel is the most marketable artist ..

However, that's the way the music business is and always has been .. I'm not going to stop watching, as I enjoy the show ,, but the biggest flaw, IMO, is the voting system ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page