AVS Forum banner

The Voice Season 5 Sept. 23, 2013 NBC HD

6K views 227 replies 22 participants last post by  domino92024 
#1 ·
The Voice Season 5 Sept. 23, 2013 NBC HD

Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Carson Daly, Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera all return for Season 5 ..

I've been trying to get tickets for the St Louis auditions this month with no luck yet ..

See less See more
#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkc  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/150#post_24035116

James is the best singer on the Voice this year! Everyone I know thought he did an excellent performance with the Meatloaf song.

If by excellent you mean messing it up by not being able to keep up with the pace of the song or reach the higher notes on it, then yeah I agree.

#180 ·
Time for Tessanne to cover a Sade song. Maybe "King Of Sorrow." She has chops she hasn't used yet.

Jacquie is really grating on me with her over-wrought screeching and put-on histrionics. Time to take a hike.

Mathew was way past his time. The performance of "Hallelujah" was passable, but people confuse the power of the song itself with the artist performing it. We have all heard it done much better, and a comparison between he and Joshua Ledet doing "When A Man Loves A Woman" shows his weakness.

#182 ·
Jackie needs to go. She really is the weakest of them at this point. Yelling and disingenuous stage antics kill everything she does. Great, she's young, but it doesn't give her a pass on all the things she doesn't do right. Come back when you have more experience. Caroline should have been here instead.

More than words was nice, but it was a shining moment for James. Too bad he didn't have that song for a solo performance, it would have kept him in the game another week. I recognized the guy playing the guitar and just couldn't figure out who he was until Carson said his name.

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24041948

More than words was nice, but it was a shining moment for James. Too bad he didn't have that song for a solo performance, it would have kept him in the game another week.

James is still there though. Granted, he shouldn't be if not for deciding they needed to drag this out yet another week by having only one elimination.

#184 ·
I meant that it would have been better for him to use it as a solo performance in an upcoming show instead of wasting that gem on the elimination night. Lets say he used it on the next show, he would have been free and clear until the next week.

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24041948

Jackie needs to go. She really is the weakest of them at this point. Yelling and disingenuous stage antics kill everything she does. Great, she's young, but it doesn't give her a pass on all the things she doesn't do right. Come back when you have more experience. Caroline should have been here instead.

More than words was nice, but it was a shining moment for James. Too bad he didn't have that song for a solo performance, it would have kept him in the game another week. I recognized the guy playing the guitar and just couldn't figure out who he was until Carson said his name.

I like Jacquie I think mainly because she has such power and emotion .. she gets wrapped up in the song and seems really emotionally invested .. last Season, with Danielle Bradbury, who, to me, obviously has some issues here are there and in many cases, seemed to me like she was just singing, not being emotionally involved in the song, so many on the thread overlooked that and I think gave her a pass based on her age ..

Now we have a young lady that, although she's certainly not perfect, leaves it all on the stage .. like it or not .. she's stretching and trying to grow ..

I'm not saying I think she'll win it, I'm just suggesting she's a different kind of singer .. and I know I've made it clear she reminds me of a young Janis, but, I'll mention it again ..

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24044181

James is still there though. Granted, he shouldn't be if not for deciding they needed to drag this out yet another week by having only one elimination.

Yep, milk it for all it's worth .. myself, I'm ready for this season to end ..

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24044726

I have watched previous seasons but lost interest in this one weeks ago for many reasons.
I'm with you. I'm still recording and now watching on auto-pilot., picking up the remote to FF every time the judges auto-praise blabber (awesome, killed it, you know I love you, I turned my chair for you, ) kicks in automatically right after any performance. I dread the next two or three "judge reaction and comments" until thankfully the available filler minutes until the next commercial break elapse and I can hit my remote's 6x30-second skip button.

Couple that with FF as soon as Carson finds himself up in that oh-so-magical skybox to check in with the social media maggots.

Couple that with the "humble and modest" responses from the competitors to the endless sycophantic judge "praise", and this is more mindless tripe to FF through.

Couple that with the ubiquitous "squeal and scream track" (cousin to the "laugh track" for sitcoms but even more artificial and annoying) now being added in post-production to pretty much any modern day TV live audience talk/comedy show such as "Chelsea Lately", "Daily Show" and "Colbert" to apparently suggest that the audience is constantly in ectasy, and pretty much 97% of this show is completely unwatchable and unlistenable, not to mention not unique, impromptu and enjoyable any longer.

I look forward to Xtina's "girls". The rest? Not so much.

Let's see, season's about over, and theoretically I should know who's left by now. What's her name... Jacquie? I do enjoy her youth and unfrightened enthusiasm to try and be "maturer", although she's clearly even younger than Danielle was in terms of life experience and how to "be an adult" on one of these "big, red-hot reality shows". Her voice is still imperfect, but probably the most listenable left for me. Yes, her similarity to a very young Janis is a reasonable stretch. I guess I'd like her to "win", of all the rest that are left... who I find truly boring.

#189 ·
I know this will conspiracy theory-esque, but I do that from time to time.

I few posts ago I mentioned that there was a promo saying there was only two weeks left. That was before last week started. Now, by my count, it technically would be 3 weeks before the end.

Is there any way to find when this show was supposed to run to? I just have this weird feeling that because they knew both James and Matthew were in trouble last week, they decided to drop the eliminations from 2 to 1 because they were afraid to lose both at once.

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24051861

I few posts ago I mentioned that there was a promo saying there was only two weeks left. That was before last week started. Now, by my count, it technically would be 3 weeks before the end.

Is there any way to find when this show was supposed to run to? I just have this weird feeling that because they knew both James and Matthew were in trouble last week, they decided to drop the eliminations from 2 to 1 because they were afraid to lose both at once.

My DVR shows : DEC 9 .. Semi Finals

DEC 10 .. Results

DEC 16 .. Finals

DEC 17 .. Winner Announced

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24051861

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/voice/listings/

#192 ·
I'll stick with my prediction from after last week. Cole and one of Adam's guys goes tonight. Based on last week's results and the fact that I think Will knocked it out of the park, I'd say that James is the one to go.

Not a fan of James' performance. Granted, it was better than last week, but I still wasn't feeling it.

I have to admit, for being down on Will in the past and thinking he shouldn't even be here considering he was passed over twice (once in the Battle Round and once in the Knockout Round), he is damn good and has only been getting better week after week.

I do like Jacquie a lot, but there are times that I feel the yelling is too much and out of place. Last night was a prime example. That song is meant to be sung soft and sound haunting and her screaming some of the lines just didn't fit. We get it, you have powerful lungs. That doesn't mean you have to show them off in every song.

Cole had a chance to really shine on that song, but I felt he stumbled. When it came time for him to get up from the piano, it looked like he was thinking too much and got thrown off. There was a break in his voice and then he had trouble getting the mic out. Then, what the hell was that when he got up? In the rehearsal clip he said he was going to go rockstar, but all he did was stand at the top of the stage and then walk down slowly to then proceed to just stand there again.

I know the group here is kinda split on Tessanne. I personally love her and would love to see her win it all. Not sure if my love of her and the song jaded me, but I thought it was great.

I think Christina may have been sick last night. Not once did she make the conversation about her and how she did this or did that in the past like she always seems to. Unless of course you count the comment about the U2 song Adam picked for James and she just had to thrown in how she wanted the coaches to sing that. Yeah, you really added a lot to the conversation about James' performance by bringing that and only that up Christina.

#193 ·
This season, I believe that the Instant Save (which is now over) has taught us that the contestant saved is likely the one going home the next week .. although Wolpert did do a fairly credible job on "With or Without You" ... it was really a mimic of Bono .. James, by the odds of past votes, may be at the bottom again

Will simply did not do a good job

Jacquie's performance was not that great

Cole was as consistent voice wise as he always is ..

Tessanne nailed it ..

I'm guessing tonight, it's Wolpert and Will that walk .. tonight is a double elimination ..

#195 ·
Will's performance revealed what a minor voice he has and coupled with the repeated off-tune notes calls for his end here.

Jacquie hits all the notes, but has an undistinguished under tone unrecognizable on recordings.

Tassane's performance of a man-eater of a song was remarkable, IMHO.

James, my favorite from his one standout performance of A Case Of You, keeps slipping as they try to make him into an "Indie-Rocker." Sad, he actually has a voice.

Cole is a stump with a distinctive voice.

Will & Jacquie should go.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted  /t/1481770/the-voice-season-5-sept-23-2013-nbc-hd/180#post_24056308

Will's performance revealed what a minor voice he has and coupled with the repeated off-tune notes calls for his end here.

Jacquie hits all the notes, but has an undistinguished under tone unrecognizable on recordings.

Tassane's performance of a man-eater of a song was remarkable, IMHO.

James, my favorite from his one standout performance of A Case Of You, keeps slipping as they try to make him into an "Indie-Rocker." Sad, he actually has a voice.

Cole is a stump with a distinctive voice.

Will & Jacquie should go.

on my thoughts, I'm giving Jacquie the teen vote .. that, in and of itself, may be enough to keep her in it .. all in all, though, last night was pretty underwhelming ..

#197 ·
A pretty lackluster night for me. It seems that the coaches were all trying to use some rather iconic and slightly shlockly songs to grab votes.

Cole seems to have peaked a while ago, and has pretty much zero stage presence.

Jacquie as usual is competent, but still yells and shouts her songs too much. A talented girl who will attempt to do whatever Xtina tells her to do. I get the impression she really has no idea who she is yet.

Will isn't the greatest technical singer by any means, but for some reason he has the greatest appeal to me of the remaining singers.

Tessanne had a decent night and should be safe tonight.

I still don't like James.

I would think Cole and James are gonna hit the road.

Here are how the performances from “The Voice” ranked on the All-Genres chart on iTunes, as of December 10, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. EST:

RANK TEAM PERFORMER SONG

1 Adam Tessanne Chin “Bridge Over Troubled Water”

8 Christina Jacquie Lee “Angel”

11 Adam Will Champlin “Carry On”

13 Blake Cole Vosbury “Shameless”

15 Adam James Wolpert “With or Without You”

And a HUGE thank-you to NBC for cutting the show down to an hour last night and not filling the show with a bunch of superfluous fluff. As much as a like this show, I am considering skipping every second season going forward as I am definitely tiring of it.

#198 ·
The charts are the same order, but different places right now. I haven't even watched the show yet. I think I may just skip it and listen to the free clips on itunes.

Looks like James will be going home, and maybe Cole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.