Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 228 Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 562
The Voice Season 5 Sept. 23, 2013 NBC HD

Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Carson Daly, Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera all return for Season 5 ..

I've been trying to get tickets for the St Louis auditions this month with no luck yet ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 228 Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Damn, Xtina lost a ton of weight.

I'll watch the auditions, but this show (and pretty much every single performance show) lost me last season. Will be interesting to see if they can hold my attention after the auditions end.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #3 of 228 Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Damn, Xtina lost a ton of weight.

I'll watch the auditions, but this show (and pretty much every single performance show) lost me last season. Will be interesting to see if they can hold my attention after the auditions end.

She is looking pretty good .. smile.gif

I have to say that honestly, I'm kinda riding the fence on remaining a viewer .. not for the fact that I can't find anyone to root for but because I believe the voting system is flawed ..

I stopped watching X-Factor after just a few episodes .. dropped Idol .. dropped Americas Got Talent .. watched a little of a few other odds and ends shows .. etc ..

The consumption of time is an issue with me as well ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So, with the new season right around the corner, I have to say I have almost no interest. I'm sure the wife and I will watch, but it's getting to be a bit much.

It feels like the last season just ended and now the next one is already starting up again. Enough already!

Probably the only thing I'm interest in is seeing Christina's hot new body. Other than that it's back to the same old, same old. Can't wait to see which of Blake's country picks dominates this thing. rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ I'm still trying to decide if I want to devote the time to it ..

Maxim featured Xtina the last issue and man, she does look great ..

More than likely, I'm going to at least watch a few and see what happens .. I wish they would just go down to one season a year and one episode a week .. let the voting run a few days and announce the loser at the beginning of the next show ..

Uncle Willie

post #6 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Maxim featured Xtina the last issue and man, she does look great ..

I just watched the video of her photoshoot. Holy Mother of GOD!!! eek.gif
post #7 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I just watched the video of her photoshoot. Holy Mother of GOD!!! eek.gif

That's what I'm talkin' bout .. biggrin.gif

Uncle Willie

post #8 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We'll probably end up watching it, but like everyone else, we aren't as excited about it as in the past. Just too many back-to-back cycles, too many nights of the week. You can say what you want about Idol, but definitely one thing that Fox has done well with that show is not burning out the fans by over-airing it. Survivor and Amazing Race can get away with back-to-back cycles over the years as they are only one hour per week. The Voice is going to crash soon if they keep going with 3, 4, and even 5 hours of the show in a week.
post #9 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

We'll probably end up watching it, but like everyone else, we aren't as excited about it as in the past. Just too many back-to-back cycles, too many nights of the week. You can say what you want about Idol, but definitely one thing that Fox has done well with that show is not burning out the fans by over-airing it. Survivor and Amazing Race can get away with back-to-back cycles over the years as they are only one hour per week. The Voice is going to crash soon if they keep going with 3, 4, and even 5 hours of the show in a week.

That's pretty much where I'm at as well .. with the Fall season cranking up, my DVR list is already starting to get pretty long .. I dropped Idol after the Steven Tyler season and now my least favorite judge is back (Lopez) .. so I'm certainly not going to go back to it .. this Fall .. besides Survivor and Race which I will watch .. Agents of SHIELD, Person of Interest, Revolution, Once Upon a Time, Homeland, The Tomorrow People, Walking Dead, Grimm, Sons of Anarchy .. all are on my list and there are only so many hours in a week .. I still have unwatched episodes of last season Person of Interest .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

post #10 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm interested to see how the ratings compare to X Factor, which is a gigantic bomb so far for FOX.
post #11 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm interested to see how the ratings compare to X Factor, which is a gigantic bomb so far for FOX.

The 30 minutes I watched of it are 30 minutes I still wish I could get back .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

post #12 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's pretty much where I'm at as well .. with the Fall season cranking up, my DVR list is already starting to get pretty long .. I dropped Idol after the Steven Tyler season and now my least favorite judge is back (Lopez) .. so I'm certainly not going to go back to it .. this Fall .. besides Survivor and Race which I will watch .. Agents of SHIELD, Person of Interest, Revolution, Once Upon a Time, Homeland, The Tomorrow People, Walking Dead, Grimm, Sons of Anarchy .. all are on my list and there are only so many hours in a week .. I still have unwatched episodes of last season Person of Interest .. eek.gif
Looks like we have pretty much the same tastes in shows, other than Revolution. I am giving up on it after one season. We always sample pretty much everything that comes out as well, so these multi-hours per week of singing auditions really cause my DVR to start swelling at the seams.
post #13 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Looks like we have pretty much the same tastes in shows, other than Revolution. I am giving up on it after one season. We always sample pretty much everything that comes out as well, so these multi-hours per week of singing auditions really cause my DVR to start swelling at the seams.

My wife likes Revolution, so I'll probably watch it with her .. I admit it's not a favorite but maybe this season it will get better .. I was on the fence about recording Sleepy Hollow the other day but did not .. that Once Upon a Time spinoff we'll probably try as well .. and there is another one called Dracula ..

I've not had a chance to watch any of Ray Donovan yet, although I hear it's pretty good ..

Uncle Willie

post #14 of 228 Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I will watch the show again, if you consider fast forwarding through large parts of it still "watching" it.

I enjoy the mentoring sessions and the actual performances, but always skip the back-stories and judges babble after contestants perform. The 2 hour show takes me less that 30 minutes to watch.
post #15 of 228 Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Disappointed they didn't keep Shakira and Usher, I thought the 4 of them really worked well together. Not a big fan of Christina (on the show) an Cee-Lo's obsession with pretty women. But will tune in for Blake alone, he is hilarous on this show.

post #16 of 228 Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought Usher and Shakira only worked well during the heavily edited audition phase. When it went live, it never clicked for me. But then again by that point I was watching pretty much the entire thing on fast-forward.
post #17 of 228 Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought Usher and Shakira only worked well during the heavily edited audition phase. When it went live, it never clicked for me. But then again by that point I was watching pretty much the entire thing on fast-forward.

I liked what appeared to be Shakira's sincerity .. as opposed to Xtina's shallowness .. Usher vs CeeLo is a toss up for me .. last season CeeLo was on, he just seemed out of it for some reason, like he was just going thru the motions .. Usher trumps CeeLo as far as his talent, AFAIC ..

Uncle Willie

post #18 of 228 Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Just a reminder that Usher and Shakira will be back in the spring.
Quote:
After careful consideration of everyone’s schedules for next spring, we are excited to be returning the current cycle of judges — Shakira and Usher along with Blake and Adam — for cycle 6, which will premiere after the Winter Olympics.” said NBC president of alternative programming Paul Telegdy.
post #19 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

On NBC, The Voice season 5 premiere earned a 4.9 adults 18-49 rating, up from last fall's 4.2 and last spring's 4.8 adults 18-49 rating, and the highest Voice premiere since the post-Super Bowl start of the second season on Feb. 5, 2012.

8:00pm - NBC – The Voice (season premiere)
Viewers: 12.95 million (#1), A18-49: 4.2/12 (#1)

8:30pm - NBC – The Voice (season premiere)
Viewers: 14.38 million (#1), A18-49: 4.8/13 (#1)

9:00pm - NBC – The Voice (season premiere)
Viewers: 15.57 million (#1), A18-49: 5.3/13 (#1)

9:30 - NBC – The Voice (season premiere)
Viewers: 15.76 million (#1), A18-49: 5.5/14 (#1)

People love the spinning chairs!
post #20 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If I'm one of the judges I would be asking for $20 million per season (and I mean per season, so $40 million if the show is on twice a year). There really isn't anything else to explain how this show is getting such big ratings. There is plenty of mediocre singing on the other shows.

If NBC has any idea what it is doing it will announce that in the spring The Voice will move to Wednesday and Thursday nights. Thursday in particular receives higher ad rates, and it makes no sense for the highest rated singing show to defer to the severely weakened Idol. Go for the kill while you can.
post #21 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When Shakira and Usher re-appear next season after the Winter Olympics, it's sure to be another ratings bonanza .. you gotta admit the timing is impeccable .. as was the Super Bowl timing ..

Uncle Willie

post #22 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Nobody's posted actual comments on last night's actual premiere? Not a surprise really, as the performers were for the most part completely unimpressive and forgettable.

One exception (whose name I already forget!) was the older background singer for Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine, who I thought was terrific. Good opening audition song choice too.

But then, I'm a big fan of background singers. In fact if you're a documentary lover and also a fan of background singers, make it your business to see/rent "20 Feet From Stardom", which is a fantastic documentary about background singers and the music business. Wonderfully enjoyable.

Also, is this show now going after "semi-pros" and "pros"? Are they allowed to compete too? Is that fair?? Wonder what the actual rules are, that would allow a former pro (e.g. the above MSM background singer) compete with a 16-year old total rookie?

Incidentally, my other exception to unimpressive contestants was that young girl (again, whose name I already forget) who sang at camp. She really DID sound like Regina Spektor, who she described as the type of singer she listened to (so I guess her stylings and vocal results are not a complete surprise). She had a very good voice.

Still can't stand Carson Daly, and hope they hold down the audience tweenie shrieking, squealing and screaming.
post #23 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Josh Logan was my favorite singer from the first show, but we got a long way to go yet.

The Voice has always allowed contestants with professional experience in. However, they disclose the true resumes and don't hide the facts (like X Factor does).
post #24 of 228 Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You guys who say you're tired of the format, good for you, but the producers don't care. They know they'll lose some and gain some. Ratings are pretty outstanding.

The show probably isn't quite as interesting to those of us who've watched it from the beginning, but I still looked forward to its return. It is centered around the judges/mentors rather than the singers. Adam and Blake are great personalities, and it's fun to watch and listen to them. Matter of taste, but they are witty and enjoyable and you'd like to live next door to them. CeLo and Christina, not so much. Shakira and Usher were huge upgrades, much more likeable, and it spurred Christina to get in top shape and act nicer (She does look damn good) and hopefully CeLo to not get loaded this time.
post #25 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't comment on the 1st show on Monday as something went wrong with my recording and it was pretty much unwatchable, so we only saw the 2nd night's broadcast.

Even though I still don't think CeeLo has any business being a coach on a show called The Voice, I love his personality and missed him. The thing with the boots of that one contestant was funny.

So, I was thinking last night I'd like to play a game once all the teams are filled. After we see all the contestants, lets try to pick who will be the one to advance in these categories...
1) Cute Country girl
2) Girl with the small, mousey voice that makes Blake turn without ever hearing a full word come out of her mouth.
3) The not mainstream looking person (i.e. Nick, Michelle Chamuel, etc.) that gathers a huge following because of their quirkiness.
4) The token duo.
5) The token male heartthrob that makes all the teenyboppers squeal uncontrollably even though they usually can't sing to save their life.

Have I missed any that usually fill out the script of who advances on this show?
post #26 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

You forgot the standard Xtina diva wannabe's that shout the entire song and throw in a gazillion unnecessary runs.
post #27 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

and the self professed Nerd that talks constantly about coming out of his/her shell ... wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #28 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

You guys who say you're tired of the format, good for you, but the producers don't care. They know they'll lose some and gain some. Ratings are pretty outstanding.

The show probably isn't quite as interesting to those of us who've watched it from the beginning, but I still looked forward to its return. It is centered around the judges/mentors rather than the singers. Adam and Blake are great personalities, and it's fun to watch and listen to them. Matter of taste, but they are witty and enjoyable and you'd like to live next door to them. CeLo and Christina, not so much. Shakira and Usher were huge upgrades, much more likeable, and it spurred Christina to get in top shape and act nicer (She does look damn good) and hopefully CeLo to not get loaded this time.

^^^ This ..

In my case, my biggest beef is the time commitment required, even with liberal DVR FF use .. I wish they would just take it down, maybe after the blinds, to 2 hours a week with eliminations at the beginning of the next week show ..

But I know that's not gonna happen as long as the ratings cow is getting milked .. the Fall season is chock full of stuff I'd like to try on top of my regular shows ..

Uncle Willie

post #29 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Also, is this show now going after "semi-pros" and "pros"? Are they allowed to compete too? Is that fair?? Wonder what the actual rules are, that would allow a former pro (e.g. the above MSM background singer) compete with a 16-year old total rookie?

It's pretty much been that way from the get go .. in fact, they like to tout any affiliation with a name singer, anyone that's been doing small time road and local singing for a while, etc .. although it may seem these seasoned folks may have an advantage, I think it ends up being fair enough ..

Uncle Willie

post #30 of 228 Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

It's pretty much been that way from the get go .. in fact, they like to tout any affiliation with a name singer, anyone that's been doing small time road and local singing for a while, etc .. although it may seem these seasoned folks may have an advantage, I think it ends up being fair enough ..

Reminder: The little sixteen year-old with zero experience rightly kicked the snot out of the "seasoned folks" last season.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page