'The Newsroom' on HBO -Season Two- - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #91 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 919
So, who has figured out what was going on with Will's cellmate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
So, who has figured out what was going on with Will's cellmate?

what cellmate

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #93 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 685
The cellmate was a figment of Will's imagination. It was revealed to us when, as Will was being released, we saw the photograph of Will fishing with his father and the father looked like his imagined cellmate. I thought the imagined cellmate story was inspired.
FOPA likes this.
post #94 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The cellmate was a figment of Will's imagination. It was revealed to us when, as Will was being released, we saw the photograph of Will fishing with his father and the father looked like his imagined cellmate. I thought the imagined cellmate story was inspired.
I find I have to put myself in a different frame of mind to watch The Newsroom. Focus, concentration, no outside distractions. There are no wasted words.

This weeks episode was one of the best: controversial, funny, at times very moving. I am now depressed that there is only one left.
post #95 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Sunday's episode was one of the best in this great series. Both the scenes with Don and the rape victim and Will and his prison mate were so well written and acted. Tremendous writing.
Not so sure it was great. The business about rape and the internet was a bit shaky. Interesting correspondence with Rolling Stone's problems with its rape on campus debacle.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #96 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Not so sure it was great. The business about rape and the internet was a bit shaky. Interesting correspondence with Rolling Stone's problems with its rape on campus debacle.
I have read where others were also bothered by Don's reaction to the young Princeton student's claim of rape. I don't know where to come down. It's true that rape claims should not be dismissed out of hand because the old, "She must have brought it on herself, mentality must be avoided. On the other hand, Don's point that publicizing false claims of rape, thereby destroying the reputations of innocent young men, would be equally wrong. In "she said, he said" situations such as the one portrayed in this week's show, who's to know who is telling the truth? That's a decision I'm glad I don't have to make.
post #97 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, it looks like the regular viewers -- we the few, the proud, the brave -- figured out that Will was having a conversation with his long dead, blue-collar father, who apparently beat up his mother. In retrospect, there were several clues but I didn't put it all together until, like Grey, I saw the photograph. BTW, that actor (Kevin Rankin) had recurring roles on 'Justified' and 'Breaking Bad' -- that's where I had seen him before.

It's almost eerie how prescient Sorkin was with regard to the rape case, considering that the Rolling Stone article had not come out before he wrote this episode.

And Charlie! Oh my...

Damn, I'm going to miss this show. There is very little on television that requires this much attention be paid to the dialog and subject matter. What a shame so few people watched it that HBO cut it off at the knees. This really was "must-see-TV", IMO.
gwsat and FOPA like this.
post #98 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Well, it looks like the regular viewers -- we the few, the proud, the brave -- figured out that Will was having a conversation with his long dead, blue-collar father, who apparently beat up his mother. In retrospect, there were several clues but I didn't put it all together until, like Grey, I saw the photograph. BTW, that actor (Kevin Rankin) had recurring roles on 'Justified' and 'Breaking Bad' -- that's where I had seen him before.
According to previous episodes Will is supposed to have beat his Dad as well, or at least stood up to him. The tell in the episode, about who the cellmate was, was when he stood up and said: "So your father beat you."
post #99 of 121 Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's almost eerie how prescient Sorkin was with regard to the rape case, considering that the Rolling Stone article had not come out before he wrote this episode.

And Charlie! Oh my...

Damn, I'm going to miss this show. There is very little on television that requires this much attention be paid to the dialog and subject matter. What a shame so few people watched it that HBO cut it off at the knees. This really was "must-see-TV", IMO.
I can't explain why I so love Aaron Sorkin's stuff so much. Although his political hobbyhorses are mostly antithetical to my political views, he is such a clever storyteller and graceful writer that I have ended up loving everything he has done. I am really going to miss the show.

Thanks for reminding me that Will's cellmate/father was played by the estimable Kevin Rankin. Couldn't remember his name for the life of me.
post #100 of 121 Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
And the rolled up mattress on the far side of the cell.

David M.
post #101 of 121 Old 12-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Kevin Rankin was an inspired choice for Will's "cell-mate". He is also playing a Priest with questions about him in Gracepoint which has it's finale tonight.
post #102 of 121 Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
And the rolled up mattress on the far side of the cell.
There were a number of clues... Will commenting on how he was supposed to be provided a solitary cell. All the elitist stuff, with Will saying, in response to his "dad" saying he likes to talk down to people, that's where some people are. More of a reveal into his childhood than the show had given us thus far.
post #103 of 121 Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just watched this episode last night. I think it was truly inspiring. As others have said, the interchange between Will and his father was well written, but I can't remember the last time I was moved as much as I was watching a television show as when I saw Will take down the picture of his father and him and realized who he was arguing with. I don't believe I have ever seen something as powerful as that whole interchange and then to be hit with that realization.

I think that there was nothing "real" about Don's interchange with the student who was raped in that it was a conversation that could never have happened between two such characters. But I think it was great writing as it went into all the aspects of what would be involved in trying to bring such crimes to light. They happen every day.

I also loved Sloan Sabbith's bashing of the "citizen journalist" initiative. I would imagine this is Aaron Sorkin's personal bent, but it is mine, too. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but the current culture of worshipping people of no talent and somehow making them newsworthy makes me sick.

BTW, does anyone know who was singing "Shenandoah" through the show and at the end?

SMK
post #104 of 121 Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
I just watched this episode last night. I think it was truly inspiring. As others have said, the interchange between Will and his father was well written, but I can't remember the last time I was moved as much as I was watching a television show as when I saw Will take down the picture of his father and him and realized who he was arguing with. I don't believe I have ever seen something as powerful as that whole interchange and then to be hit with that realization.

I think that there was nothing "real" about Don's interchange with the student who was raped in that it was a conversation that could never have happened between two such characters. But I think it was great writing as it went into all the aspects of what would be involved in trying to bring such crimes to light. They happen every day.

I also loved Sloan Sabbith's bashing of the "citizen journalist" initiative. I would imagine this is Aaron Sorkin's personal bent, but it is mine, too. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but the current culture of worshipping people of no talent and somehow making them newsworthy makes me sick.

BTW, does anyone know who was singing "Shenandoah" through the show and at the end?

SMK
Sissel -
post #105 of 121 Old 12-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

SMK
Sissel - Here is a youtube link:
post #106 of 121 Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I too found Sloan's eviseration of the arrogant nerd on national television to be richly satisfying. He and his even more arrogant boss had it coming, it seems to me. I was more bothered by the cocksure self righteousness of those two than I was concerned with the privacy issue. Just sorry that the upshot of Sloan's interview was Charlie's death. As noted earlier, I am going to really hate to see The Newsroom go.
post #107 of 121 Old 12-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Maybe I'm just an old fart, but the current culture of worshipping people of no talent and somehow making them newsworthy makes me sick.
Reality TV (sigh)

David M.
post #108 of 121 Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Sissel - Here is a youtube link
Thank you.

I will miss this show when it's gone.

SMK
post #109 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Good series finale I thought. Liked the use of flashbacks to fill in gaps. Will miss the banter.
post #110 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One wonders what Sorkin will be up to next.
post #111 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was a great last episode, but I am not sure I share what seems to be Aaron Sorkin's optimism about the state of broadcast journalism in this country. There is a very slippery slope of self promotion and corporate control of what is reported which we have, unfortunately, started down;. I don't see any evidence will start back upwards again any time soon.

SMK
post #112 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Good series finale I thought. Liked the use of flashbacks to fill in gaps. Will miss the banter.
I was disappointed in the finale. The use of so many flashbacks seemed like a writer's gimmick to cover uncertainty as to how to end the series. It was enjoyable to watch Leona eat the corporate boy wonder's lunch and even more so to see Neil return and shut down the idiot dweeb's network access as well as to reestablish himself as the techie alpha male. I also loved the garage/music scene at Charlie's funeral. That was some pretty good playing and singing.
post #113 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I thought the finale was brilliant, simply, brilliant..... I shed tears, and for a 70 year old male, that sayin' somethin'....
Pagali and gwsat like this.

Bobby 

post #114 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I was disappointed in the finale. The use of so many flashbacks seemed like a writer's gimmick to cover uncertainty as to how to end the series.
It was done to tie up loose ends and fill in back story. It wasn't absolutely necessary, but it did provide an awful lot of insight. I appreciated it.
post #115 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 199
For me it was a homerun with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth. We also learned more about Charlie than when he was alive.
post #116 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 110
By the end of last season I found nearly every character insufferable, so I couldn't be bothered to watch this season. That said, someone please tell me that Jim and Maggie died.
post #117 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The flashbacks were Sorkin's way of showing us (rather than just telling us, as eulogies would have) how pivotal Charlie was to everything that happened in the series. And that Mackenzie was his spiritual heir, and why.

Sorkin knows that TV news isn't like this, just as he knew that Washington politics wasn't like "The West Wing." But he dreams dreams that I find inspiring, that I want to believe in, and so I do. You'd think a liberal intellectual like him would be a cynic, but there's a brave naivety to his vision that appeals to me.

And maybe Sorkin is clumsy writing about relationships, but somehow I find the stupid misunderstandings and missed connections and opportunities torpedoed by the rush of young ambition to be more real than most TV romance. And what we saw about Will's feelings about being a son and a father must have come straight from Sorkin's heart.

I've rewatched Sports Night, TWW, and even Studio 60 more than once. It's wonderful to have the Newsroom to add to the cycle. Maybe it was too short and maybe it wasn't, but it feels complete, and that's a gift.
Pagali, dminches and gwsat like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #118 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I too loved the series finale. No surprise there, I guess, because, as I have confessed before, sorkin's stuff is in my wheelhouse.

The musical scene in the garage with Will and Charlie's grandsons made me shed a few tears. The scenes between Don and Sloan were brilliant, too. There was real chemistry there. I also enjoyed B.J. Novak's performances as Lucas Pratt, an a**hole who was easily the equal of the nastiest twerp in the newsroom crew,even Will at his worst. As I have said before, I shall really miss this show.

Last edited by gwsat; 12-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.
post #119 of 121 Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post
By the end of last season I found nearly every character insufferable, so I couldn't be bothered to watch this season. That said, someone please tell me that Jim and Maggie died.
Hehe. I would like that to happen to Jiggie (my portmanteau).
The rest was okay. It was nice to see the flashbacks sort of fleshing out what you saw.
I actually liked the very end the best where they were actually pretending to be like a newsroom with all the ordered chaos of the situation.
Weird that Neal's return was almost unnoticed except for the awful scene of Neal's chewing out of the geek guys. They were such easy targets that Sorkin came back for seconds. Wonder what he thinks of those guys?
The music playing was okay but sort of out of nowhere.
The Leona/Pruitt stuff was really forced other than the punchline which is that the news director is meant to clash with the owner (but I'm not sure that was what happened).
Sorkin writes everything too playlike (everyone is articulate and knows exactly what to say on beat) for me to really like it but I have to say that I enjoyed it for the most part. I'd give the series a B minus.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #120 of 121 Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Weird that Neal's return was almost unnoticed except for the awful scene of Neal's chewing out of the geek guys. They were such easy targets that Sorkin came back for seconds. Wonder what he thinks of those guys?
I liked the scene in which Neal beatdown the nerds. Until Neal returned, the nerds had been able to hide behind their superior technical knowledge but because Neal knew more than the nerds they were exposed and new it. All of that wasn't as much fun as Sloan's humiliation of the Web site nerd but it was close, I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page