'The Newsroom' on HBO -Season Two- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 121 Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone still watching? Two episodes in and not one post.

I honestly, think it's shaping up to be a much better season than last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm enjoying it a lot. I think the last thread got shut down/locked, I guess it got too political. LOL I almost didn't recognize Maggie in the first episode, it took me a minute.
post #3 of 121 Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I liked the twitter chick - when I lived in NorCal half the people I met were that pathologically self regarding.

Like someone said, Sorkin losing a step (not saying he has) is still better than most writing for television.

This reality show two chicks in an apartment sharing a boyfriend sh!t has got to stop though. Really.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #4 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Last season was really good, but I'd agree that it's hitting its stride more so far this season. Sorkin is a national treasure.
post #5 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Good morning, everybody.

Please see the original thread and the closing statement made by CPanther95.

''The Newsroom' on HBO'
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1404349/the-newsroom-on-hbo/390
Quote:
Thread closed.

Here is a link to a more appropriate forum for discussing this show:

The Newsroom discussion at HBO.com

I PM'ed CPanther95 a month ago considering I knew Season 2 of The Newsroom was about to start. He politely told me that we can not have a native thread. The Newsroom is solely about current political news events which are not allowed to be discussed here on AVS.

If he OKs this thread then it's game on and no worries. I don't think he's going to allow it though, sorry guys.

PS,
If he allows it I request for a title change tongue.gif

'The Newsroom' on HBO Season Two (Although, I'd really like the old thread un-locked and for the threads to be merged. One native thread for the life of the show.
post #6 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Actually, the events depicted in 'The Newsroom' aren't current events. They happened in the past and this show provides a fictional take on them. Since nobody who doesn't at least sympathize with Sorkin's worldview is likely to be watching anyway, I don't really see a problem. Just keep the discussion to the show, by people who are actually watching the show and want to talk about it in a civil manner. Might as well give it a shot.
post #7 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed.
post #8 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good show...

second season seems to have hit it's stride.

A little more soap opera than I like but still "watchable".
post #9 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
with this Genoa operation, I guess this is the first time the show has made up news to report on? is this supposed to lead to the downfall of Will or Mackenzie?
post #10 of 121 Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

An excellent pre-season article I thought. No plot spoilers.

Aaron Sorkin Reveals Depth of 'Newsroom' Angst, Season 2 Reboot, A-List Consultants

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #11 of 121 Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I liked the twitter chick - when I lived in NorCal half the people I met were that pathologically self regarding.

Like someone said, Sorkin losing a step (not saying he has) is still better than most writing for television.

This reality show two chicks in an apartment sharing a boyfriend sh!t has got to stop though. Really.

Despite it being preachy and obvious, I liked the first season. It's refreshing to see someone trying to tackle important issues and sprinkling them w/ intellectual depth. It was also occasionally emotionally moving, but sometimes frustrating too.

In season two, I've hit the roadblock you mentioned above. In the middle of the laundromat scene, I realized I just couldn't take it any more. Maybe when I have more fortitude, I'll try to tackle it again. If not, I'll just remove the show from my DVR schedule.
post #12 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Liked: 10
I'm getting bored with it. All the characters talk the same way, long prepared sentences, like perfect speeches. Does anyone say "uh," once in a while.
post #13 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny3 View Post

I'm getting bored with it. All the characters talk the same way, long prepared sentences, like perfect speeches. Does anyone say "uh," once in a while.
That's the "Sorkin" way, I guess. I'm looking forward to seeing the 'Genoa' thing come crashing down and how they deal with that in the newsroom.
post #14 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Exactly. You either like and appreciate his dialog... or you don't. Personally, I've always been a fan. I've noticed a bit more humor and light-hearted moments this season vs. last as well, and the female characters seem to be acting in a more adult manner as the rom-com stuff has been toned down. And let me just say it again: how good is Olivia Munn in this show? More than just a pretty face...
post #15 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Exactly. You either like and appreciate his dialog... or you don't. Personally, I've always been a fan. I've noticed a bit more humor and light-hearted moments this season vs. last as well, and the female characters seem to be acting in a more adult manner as the rom-com stuff has been toned down. And let me just say it again: how good is Olivia Munn in this show? More than just a pretty face...

Agree totally I like the style and this season, while not as good overall to me, has had a lot of funny moments.

Also when I first saw Olivia Munn was on her I thought she would be way outclassed but she has been very impressive.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #16 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind. Back seat modding
post #17 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And let me just say it again: how good is Olivia Munn in this show? More than just a pretty face...

Yeah, who knew? The combination of character and actor is perfect. I wonder if the recent storyline (haven't seen the latest episode yet) is based on her real life experience. When I read about that early in the show I was disappointed - seemed so typical. Maybe my bad there ...

post #18 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, who knew? The combination of character and actor is perfect. I wonder if the recent storyline (haven't seen the latest episode yet) is based on her real life experience. When I read about that early in the show I was disappointed - seemed so typical. Maybe my bad there ...

I'm guessing the Erin Andrews incident inspired that particular storyline. There was even a line of dialog about Sloan's video "not being shot through a keyhole". Of course, Erin embraced her "ordeal" by drawing so much attention to it (she wasn't even recognizable). And judging by how much mileage she got out of it, it was a brilliant career move. Sloan's situation was obviously different - and the missus & I stood up and cheered when she decked the lout who had done her so wrong. tongue.gif
post #19 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm guessing the Erin Andrews incident inspired that particular storyline. There was even a line of dialog about Sloan's video "not being shot through a keyhole". Of course, Erin embraced her "ordeal" by drawing so much attention to it (she wasn't even recognizable). And judging by how much mileage she got out of it, it was a brilliant career move. Sloan's situation was obviously different - and the missus & I stood up and cheered when she decked the lout who had done her so wrong. tongue.gif

Yep for it being a "travesty and horrible" Erin sure did like to talk about it and bring it up as much as possible.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #20 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Yep for it being a "travesty and horrible" Erin sure did like to talk about it and bring it up as much as possible.

If she hadn't immediately copped to the vids, followed immediately by recounting the horror of how her privacy was violated (over and over and over), it would have blown over in about an hour since the grainy, out of focus video could have basically been any tall, slender blonde. But then, she wouldn't have been able to distinguish herself from every other attractive, blonde sideline reporter, or gotten her new gig on College Gameday, or gotten an invitation to DWTS, etc., etc. You've got to give her credit for seeing an opportunity and pouncing on it, though.

She really needs to give that peeper guy an honorarium, at least. She'd literally be nothing without him.
post #21 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Curious about the Genoa thing. I thought they vetted it about as well as you could. I still think the smart move was not to show it as Don advocated because of the more harm than good argument.
Thought the improper pruning by Jerry Dantana was way off the rails. I didn't think he would do it number 1 and number 2, with the game going in the background, the continuity jump was so obvious that someone would have caught that.
The "game has to be going" thing was so obviously related to this issue to be a huge neon sign that this was stupid.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #22 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's how well I keep up - I don't even know who Erin is. Is she the one with the weird voice on ESPN? I tune most of this stuff out, but googled Munn early on and saw the sexting stuff about her. If the storyline was based on Andrews, strange for Munn to have to play it, kind of awkward on the set.

post #23 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here's how well I keep up - I don't even know who Erin is. Is she the one with the weird voice on ESPN?

Yes, Erin Andrews.
post #24 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Curious about the Genoa thing. I thought they vetted it about as well as you could. I still think the smart move was not to show it as Don advocated because of the more harm than good argument.
Thought the improper pruning by Jerry Dantana was way off the rails. I didn't think he would do it number 1 and number 2, with the game going in the background, the continuity jump was so obvious that someone would have caught that.
The "game has to be going" thing was so obviously related to this issue to be a huge neon sign that this was stupid.

Probably but I'm sure you could cut the interview in a way that doesn't change any answer or context but maybe makes it flow better that would have the game be out of order.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #25 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I agree that the dialog is so dense and fast paced that it's sometimes hard to recognize the gems within all the noise. That said, I enjoy the intelligence of this show. The Genoa deal has been intriguing. From the get go, I've been skeptical of the sources gathered and the producers agenda, but it's obviously been loaded into the narrative as a slow reveal from a not so distant past into the elements that built it into a broadcast. Lawsuits (maybe wrongful termination, maybe damages for wrongful or illegal broadcast portocols, IDK...none of us know), finger pointing, poking holes in testimony are the glue that holds this story together. It's interesting.

However, in watching the build up from the audience perspective...with foreknowledge, I've got to question why they thought a broadcast was justified and why certain questions weren't amplified by the Red Team.

- ambitious producer who planted a military expert on another story who face planted, then faced with not getting hired again, happened to have a blockbuster story in waiting. This has been addressed, but not explored fully. I have a hard time believing that.
- producer follows up and does find supporting evidence from anonymous twitter forces and eventually a grunt that supposedly was on the mission.
- producer and reporter receive "miracle confirmation" from a ground pounder journalist who was supposedly in the area with pics.
- NY prosecutor DA/VP of Newa Division gets a mysterious visit from a clandestine source, that drops ambiguous hints and an inventory.
- The find a retired General who has an agenda stating that chemical weapons are justified and then agrees to an interview with a guy who he's had vetted. In that interview he structures his answers to appear that Genoa might have happened, but only in "what if" terms.
- ambitious producer realizing he doesn't have definitive proof alters the interview
- with all this on the board, newsroom decides it can't commit. Ambitious producer goes ballistic and reveals he has an agenda (something they all suspected). He doesn't like the President.
- another Hail Mary, a dead guy comes back to life to confirm the mission happened.

Now all that may have nudged a newsroom to go with that story, but with this kind of magnitude, I'd think they would still be reluctant. The twitter guy, the marine and especially the last marine weren't vetted in person again with direct questions. The NGO guy is corroborative evidence not direct. The White House guy's agenda is never questioned, though I always wondered why the hell he showed up to offer it...no tingles going there Sam? The chem warfare General's sanity was questioned, but not his agenda. The guy was proselytizing it's use before he was retired. Then he agreed to the interview only with strict conditions. The whole thing smells like a setup. These guys are supposed to be smart people. Are they so tied up on a scoop that they didn't see this coming...especially with the producer guy nearly foaming at the mouth?

I guess we'll find out, but I'm anticipating major embarrassment. Obviously Charlie should go...maybe Will and certainly producer guy...and gal...she should have put the breaks on this.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #26 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 263
^^^
I tend to agree.
What struck me was the junior producer's Obama rant in the meeting, which SHOULD have raised serious questions about his agenda and voracity, instead they all just shrugged.
post #27 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

^^^
I tend to agree.
What struck me was the junior producer's Obama rant in the meeting, which SHOULD have raised serious questions about his agenda and voracity, instead they all just shrugged.

I actually thought the opposite about the Obama rant. Jerry Dantana was claiming that they weren't recognizing news because they liked Obama. He was pointing out that Obama shouldn't get a pass on war crimes.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #28 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I actually thought the opposite about the Obama rant. Jerry Dantana was claiming that they weren't recognizing news because they liked Obama. He was pointing out that Obama shouldn't get a pass on war crimes.

If they don't feel like they are giving Obama an easier time the rant should seem out of place.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

post #29 of 121 Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

If they don't feel like they are giving Obama an easier time the rant should seem out of place.

The rant is out of place in any regard, for someone who's supposed to at least give the impression of objectivity. As his boss I would have removed him from the story on the spot. But at this point they are all wanting the story to be true for their own reasons.
post #30 of 121 Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
well that informant really had it out for Charlie huh? A face slap to boot?

In all I like how the Genoa plot played out and really liked the sudden cut ending. I just really need an inception-like graphic to tell me why Maggie's hair bounces from blond to red to blond and back to red when I thought the entire Genoa story takes place AFTER the trip to Africa since they specifically question Jim about him going to cover the election from the field as lead-up to the events involving Genoa which began while he was on the road. Maggie's hair is chopped/red following her return from Africa yet blond and long again during the Genoa debacle, then red and short again in the latest ep. in the Genoa debrief with the legal team. Must go deeper...

Season 1 never quite got off the ground for me and I kept waiting for the moment when Newsroom's wheels went up and we reached cruising speed and I felt that West Wing sense of familiarity with the characters and they could go full speed on the interplay. This season felt awkward out of the gate and I almost pulled the plug after ep. 4 but the Genoa story took big steps forward and Sloan, Don, Charlie and Jim all keep adding to the show despite my bitterness for Maggie and MacKenzie who just don't feel right in their roles for some reason.

We're still not able to start beverage service or turn on the iPads yet so I'm hesitant to urge folks to start watching if they haven't already, but I'm hopeful.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

Reply HDTV Programming