God, Guns & Automobiles on History HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58

Been watching this new series on History channel (channel 269 Directv). Good stuff. Stars the Muller brothers (Mark and Mancow) from Bates County Missouri.

Lots of cigar smokin, truck drivin, down to earth good clean fun. And as a bonus, every episode they blow something up.

From WikiPedia:

The show chronicles the daily activities at Max Motors, a small-town car dealership run by Mark Muller with his business partner, brother, (and radio host) Erich "Mancow" Muller. The show is filmed in and around the rural town of ButlerBates County, Missouri, which is in the southern portion of the Kansas City metropolitan area. Mark Muller retired from his consulting business at age 42 and moved from Kansas City to Butler but soon became bored with retirement and established the business in Butler in 2006, naming it for his first son, Max.[3] The business has since expanded to include a second dealership in Nevada, Missouri in addition to an auto towing business and finance business.[3]

Mancow Muller (Mark's younger brother) has been a silent partner in the various business enterprises for years but recently began taking a more active role -- sometimes leading to conflict.[4] The show frequently features the conflict arising from their differing lifestyles (Mancow seeing things from his Chicago-based urban perspective, while Mark approaches his business based on his rural lifestyle) and Mancow's dislike of the "outlaw" personalities that Mark hires as salespersons (Mark wanting to hire people that no one else will, in order to give them a "second chance").

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Just finished watching the "Gun Buyback" episode. Hilarious stuff. They didn't disappoint on the explosions at the end of the episode either.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #3 of 11 Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Just finished watching the "Gun Buyback" episode. Hilarious stuff. They didn't disappoint on the explosions at the end of the episode either.

Another reason this channel should no longer call itself "History" Enough of the reality crap.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Another reason this channel should no longer call itself "History" Enough of the reality crap.

Cheap, disposable programming which draws millions of glazed eyeballs and fattens the bottom line - what more could a modern cablenet want?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Cheap, disposable programming which draws millions of glazed eyeballs and fattens the bottom line - what more could a modern cablenet want?

Hmm, I'd say wholesome, God-fearing family values are more than welcome in my home. I'll take that over 99% of the degenerative, non family friendly smut that seems to be the norm these days. I can't even watch commercials without having a hand on the remote.

Kudos to history channel for bringing shows like this and American Pickers to air. I'll take the Muller brothers over the Kardashians every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, leaving aside the fact that cheap, disposable, "family friendly" shows like this have little to do with actual....you know.....history, you could always do what my buddy does with his wholesome, God-fearing, 5 member southern family: he gets DVD sets from Netflix or the Public Library (which has had its funding cut and eliminated weekend hours) of wholesome, family-friendly fare like 'The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Green Acres, I Love Lucy' and the like. They still hold up remarkably well today.

Or you could go to the library yourself and get your History Fix. It holds up remarkably well in print too ;)

Let's get back on topic. Have you seen the show?

post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, I'd say wholesome, God-fearing family values are more than welcome in my home. I'll take that over 99% of the degenerative, non family friendly smut that seems to be the norm these days. I can't even watch commercials without having a hand on the remote.

Kudos to history channel for bringing this to air. I'll take the Muller brothers over the Kardashians every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Well, leaving aside the fact that cheap, disposable, "family friendly" shows like this have little to do with actual....you know.....history, you could always do what my buddy does with his wholesome, God-fearing, 5 member southern family: he gets DVD sets from Netflix or the Public Library (which has had its funding cut and eliminated weekend hours) of wholesome, family-friendly fare like 'The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Green Acres, I Love Lucy' and the like. They still hold up remarkably well today.

Once the kids have trundled off to bed, that's when he and the missus tune up all that degenerative smut. wink.gif The families' values are thus preserved! God bless them, every one.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, posts crossed. Sometimes the editing bear gets you.

Have I seen the show? Nah. The description was enough. Not quite smutty enough for me. wink.gif

Now, 'The Vikings' - that's a History Channel show I can really get behind, so to speak. And all those Hitler shows, of course, which at least lay a claim to being historical.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

If you haven't even taken the time to watch the show, maybe that would be a good prerequisite before disparaging it ;)

If you want to talk about Vikings and Hitler documentaries, start your own thread.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:

Well, leaving aside the fact that cheap, disposable, "family friendly" shows like this have little to do with actual....you know.....history

I don't think any"kudos" should be forthcoming just for another network becoming more generic. If this wasn't on History it would appear on any of the other now identically programmed networks, all chasing the cheap reality dollar at the expense of anything substantial and informative.

At least now History don't even try to hide the fact they are just mainstreaming the channel. So no press releases spin about how this show is somehow related to historical events or legacy.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you haven't even taken the time to watch the show, maybe that would be a good prerequisite before disparaging it wink.gif

If you want to talk about Vikings and Hitler documentaries, start your own thread.

Thanks for the advice. I see you're relatively new here, but 230 posts in less than a month means you've jumped in with both feet. The good news - 'The Vikings' has it's own thread, and I do participate. It's both historical and kinda' smutty - right in my wheelhouse. smile.gif

Something for everyone in the 500 channel universe. Problem is, about 480 of those seem to be developing the exact same cheap, disposable programming (my original point....).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page