post #91 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I just read that they are developing an American version of the show.

Christ, what on Earth for? It's already in English, and it's brilliant the way it is now. It won't be better with Christian Slater or some other cheeseball actor from the washed-up American TV star storage bin dropped into the David Tennant role.

It's like Coupling. The British version was hilarious. The US version? Utterly terrible. I'm American and I understood the British version just fine. I didn't need it translated from English English to American English, from good acting to terrible acting.

I hate when this happens.

On the plus side, I can vent my frustration by watching Episodes.

Not always true. "Life On Mars" was a good example of an American version putting a different "spin" on the story and doing it successfully (my opinion:D). I enjoyed both series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Oh, see, the premise for Life on Mars didn't work for me at all. Either the UK or US version.
post #93 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
There is a lot of complaints on the BBCA site about how grossly bad broadchurch is edited to fit in more commercials.Some even say vital plotpoints have been cut out. Why, BBCA?mad.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #94 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Oh, see, the premise for Life on Mars didn't work for me at all. Either the UK or US version.

Loved the original - but it was VERY British - and in particular had huge numbers of British 70s cultural references that I doubt translated to a US audience (even Anglophiles) Didn't get the US version at all.
post #95 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Loved the original - but it was VERY British - and in particular had huge numbers of British 70s cultural references that I doubt translated to a US audience (even Anglophiles) Didn't get the US version at all.

Try the US version. It was very good and just used the same basic premise, but with a different approach and conclusion (i don't want to spoil it for you).
post #96 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

If you liked the UK Life On Mars, try the sequel "Ashes to Ashes."
post #97 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I had the opposite effect. I could reference the US version. I was at that time dating a transplanted Brit and she had the same reaction as you watching the US version. Upon her urging I watched the original and enjoyed it, but didn't grow up in Britain ( I have been there) so a lot of it went over my head completely as the US version did to you.
post #98 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

Try the US version. It was very good and just used the same basic premise, but with a different approach and conclusion (i don't want to spoil it for you).

Sorry - wasn't clear. "Didn't get" meant I didn't understand the appeal not that I wasn't able to watch it!
post #99 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you liked the UK Life On Mars, try the sequel "Ashes to Ashes."

Yep - Ashes to Ashes was also very watchable, though I still think Life on Mars had an edge. Both were very good.
post #100 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I can't speak to the UK... but Sanford and Son, All in the Family, and Three's Company all had much longer and seemingly more successful US runs.

Those may be exceptions to the rule... though the Office had a much longer run on NBC than did the UK version... although in that case as it is a scenario where I have seen both UK and US versions... where there was overlap in concept, I enjoyed the original UK more... but the US version explored additional areas that the UK show did not due to its shorter run.

I gather Law & Order UK (which is a reversal of sorts where the UK redoes a US show) has been doing well in the UK.

All that said... some things are sacred... I wouldn't want a US Doctor Who nor a UK Star Trek. Those stand well on their own and can be enjoyed by all audiences without any need to be redone.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #101 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I love the way they add depth to the characters by slowly revealing the little secrets of their past lives. Seems like there are surprises each episode and I'm enjoying the ride.

Every person you meet in real life has unseen baggage that they carry with them and have to deal with privately. This show does an excellent job of showing that aspect of life.
post #102 of 153 Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

There is a lot of complaints on the BBCA site about how grossly bad broadchurch is edited to fit in more commercials.Some even say vital plotpoints have been cut out. Why, BBCA?mad.gif

And they (the networks, etc.) wonder why people search out the original, uncut, versions on line. BBCA is not helping their cause.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #103 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I can't speak to the UK... but Sanford and Son, All in the Family, and Three's Company all had much longer and seemingly more successful US runs.
Yes - though those are from a different era of TV.

And I'm not sure how close Sanford and Son and All In The Family were to the originals - Steptoe and Son and Till Death Do Us Part. Both of the UK originals were pretty influential comedies that were far more than your traditional sit coms. Steptoe and Son had bathos and pathos in equal measure, and was so tied into the UK class structure, whilst Till Death Us Do Part was incredibly hard-hitting in its portrayal of working class life and bigotry. From what I remember both were massively softened and toned down for the US market - and became more "sit com" like.

We've had remakes the other way as well - The Upper Hand was a remake of Who's the Boss (and probably one of the more successful US sitcoms remade for a British Audience) whilst the least said about Brighton Belles (a UK remake of The Golden Girls) the better.
Quote:
Those may be exceptions to the rule... though the Office had a much longer run on NBC than did the UK version... although in that case as it is a scenario where I have seen both UK and US versions... where there was overlap in concept, I enjoyed the original UK more... but the US version explored additional areas that the UK show did not due to its shorter run.

I think The Office is one of the few formats that really has worked on both sides of the pond - with the US remake capturing a lot of the original, though again like All In The Family and Sanford and Son, the harsher elements of the originals felt a bit toned down for me. Comedy is pretty different between our two countries. I think, in general, US stuff is little bit softer, and steers away from the more unlikeable characters - some of whom are great pillars of UK productions.
Quote:
I gather Law & Order UK (which is a reversal of sorts where the UK redoes a US show) has been doing well in the UK.

Yes - I guess that's more a format purchase than a remake though - which may be a better approach in dramatic terms than doing what the US did with The Killing?

Be interesting to see what the UK remake of Bron/Broen (aka The Bridge) will be like - set in the Channel Tunnel that links the UK and France.
Quote:
All that said... some things are sacred... I wouldn't want a US Doctor Who nor a UK Star Trek. Those stand well on their own and can be enjoyed by all audiences without any need to be redone.
Can you imagine a British version of Frasier? I don't want to even consider it...
post #104 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

+1

I can't wait for the conclusion next week. Is there anyone who is NOT a suspect?

I know, I'm hoping the writing turns out to have been really good and the ending both unexpected and logical.

It's easy to throw out ideas before the fact, I'm sure there are many, but mine is this: My curiosity was piqued by Ellie asking Susan (? sorry, the names escape me just now, but you know who I mean, the old gal with the dog) how she could have been unaware of what was going on in her own house. My guess of the day is that Ellie is unaware of something going on in her own house, in particular her husband's activities. Again, just a guess (but I will definitely own up to being wrong should it not pan out), but I think it is one of many endings that would make some sense.
post #105 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

I know, I'm hoping the writing turns out to have been really good and the ending both unexpected and logical.

It's easy to throw out ideas before the fact, I'm sure there are many, but mine is this: My curiosity was piqued by Ellie asking Susan (? sorry, the names escape me just now, but you know who I mean, the old gal with the dog) how she could have been unaware of what was going on in her own house. My guess of the day is that Ellie is unaware of something going on in her own house, in particular her husband's activities. Again, just a guess (but I will definitely own up to being wrong should it not pan out), but I think it is one of many endings that would make some sense.

I'm right there with you. I predicted to my wife that Ellie's husband was involved several weeks ago. Not because of any logical deduction but just guessing scriptwriting tropes.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #106 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I'm right there with you. I predicted to my wife that Ellie's husband was involved several weeks ago. Not because of any logical deduction but just guessing scriptwriting tropes.

As long as we're guessing, after this week's episode my wife and I predicted that it would be Danny Latimer's sister's (Chloe?) boyfriend. Just because we really didn't learn much about him or his connection to Danny until this episode and there has not been any previous hint that it would be him.
post #107 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My problem with the show, at least the US version, was that they spoiled the suspense of how he might have found himself back in time in the 1970s by repeatedly showing him unconscious in a hospital bed after the crash. So I said to myself "oh great, this whole thing is a dream sequence". And immediately lost interest.
post #108 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I'll go even farther: Elle herself may be involved. Remember she thought her promotion was a done deal, so she would have thought she would be in charge of the investigation. Maybe her reaction to the Tenant character being put in charge was more than just disappointment at not getting the job herself. Early on, she did try to discourage his poking too much into townspeople's lives...

Anyways, we have the clergyman saying he told her about the fight between Danny and her son, and her denying any knowledge of it, so one of them is lying. I suspect the clergyman too, but he seems too obvious to be guilty. Heck, maybe nearly the whole town knows who did it. With all the deep dark secrets they all seem to have, its possible.

post #109 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

What about Ellie's son? He destroyed the computer hard drive. He also said he hated Danny. Could he be the one?
post #110 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My problem with the show, at least the US version, was that they spoiled the suspense of how he might have found himself back in time in the 1970s by repeatedly showing him unconscious in a hospital bed after the crash. So I said to myself "oh great, this whole thing is a dream sequence". And immediately lost interest.

The UK show made several references to Sam Tyler being in a hospital bed. If I remember the US version, he was not in a hospital bed, but asleep on a spaceship.
post #111 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The UK show made several references to Sam Tyler being in a hospital bed. If I remember the US version, he was not in a hospital bed, but asleep on a spaceship.

The UK version had the hospital bed scenes - but the way they were used was ambiguous and you could read all sorts of different scenarios in to them.
post #112 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

The UK version had the hospital bed scenes - but the way they were used was ambiguous and you could read all sorts of different scenarios in to them.

I liked both versions. Although, I often felt like I needed a universal translator to watch the UK version wink.gif
post #113 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wanted to thank you for not giving anything away about Broadchurch...damn you...no, really, I don't want to know...well, maybe,,,no..,.yes...maybe...

anyways your spoiler free posts have been great. I can't help picturing you laughing your butt off at our speculation of how it turns out. cool.gif

post #114 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
[off topic continues]
No one has mentioned the much more recent, Being Human, which had the UK and US versions being made simultaneously. I think both have been interesting and successful, the UK version being very good indeed until they replace the whole cast.
[off topic concluded]
Quote:
My curiosity was piqued by Ellie asking Susan (? sorry, the names escape me just now, but you know who I mean, the old gal with the dog) how she could have been unaware of what was going on in her own house. My guess of the day is that Ellie is unaware of something going on in her own house

Good call! I heard that, but never made the link-leap that you suggest. I have the clergyman as a suspect, Ellie's son, who said he hated Danny, Ellie's husband, who seemed to impede the investigation at times, Danny's dad, his sister's boyfriend, Danny's dad's partner, Susan, are there any other recurring characters I have missed? If it turns out to be Danny's mom or his sister I'll be really unhappy as they are the only ones I DON'T suspect!

Speaking of the sister, she called the old man a pedophile, participated in the boycott of his business, and when he killed himself and was shown to be innocent, she was remorseless and indifferent. That's pretty cold, especially when even the newspaper guy realized just how much they were to blame. "It wasn't our fault." "Yeah, just keep telling yourself that!"

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #115 of 153 Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Just wanted to thank you for not giving anything away about Broadchurch...damn you...no, really, I don't want to know...well, maybe,,,no..,.yes...maybe...

anyways your spoiler free posts have been great. I can't help picturing you laughing your butt off at our speculation of how it turns out. cool.gif

I watched the first episode (and the dodgy West Country accents really annoyed me I'm afraid) - but enjoyed it. Set the Sky+ (our satellite PVR system) to record the rest of the series. Didn't get round to watching it quickly enough - but saw lots of Twitter/Facebook spoilers after the final episode so knew "who did it", which kind of took the edge off watching the rest I had sitting waiting to view. Am waiting for the Blu-ray now...

David Tennant and Olivia Colman are both such excellent actors it had to be good. (It was a huge success in the UK for ITV)
post #116 of 153 Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good info, The only downside is the accents. They were terrible in some cases. thank you 23.gif
post #117 of 153 Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonkawei View Post

good info, The only downside is the accents. They were terrible in some cases. thank you 23.gif
We use closed captioning, that does help.
post #118 of 153 Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post

We use closed captioning, that does help.

I think you're missing the point. It wasn't that they were difficult to understand - they were just really bad in some cases. (Very unrealistic - almost comedically bad)
post #119 of 153 Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I think you're missing the point. It wasn't that they were difficult to understand - they were just really bad in some cases. (Very unrealistic - almost comedically bad)

Closed captioning does help - bad accents or impenetrable dialog.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #120 of 153 Old 09-23-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Quote:

Closed captioning does help - bad accents or impenetrable dialog.

Yeah, unless they use a local idiom that I just don't understand or get. That happens quite a lot in shows like this. I can understand the dialog, I can read the closed captioning, but I still don't know what the character said. *MY* dictionary is of no help with local idioms I'm afraid.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page