post #121 of 179 Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I don't know. I watched it on TWC San Diego (DVR recorded) and it looked fine. Weather issues in other areas?
You watched on Showtime West? If so, you were watching a different feed than what I saw and I believe others here who have noted seeing issues. I confess I have yet to view my West feed recording yet to see if it was an improvement over the premiere showing on the East feed but judging from responses here I'm guessing it was much better.

It was clear and about 70 deg here when I recorded the episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 179 Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have been with Dish for many years now. I have had HBO always, have tried Cinemax, Starz and now SHO. To me SHO seems to have the worst PQ of all of them. Even Epix looks better than SHO.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #123 of 179 Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You watched on Showtime West? If so, you were watching a different feed than what I saw and I believe others here who have noted seeing issues. I confess I have yet to view my West feed recording yet to see if it was an improvement over the premiere showing on the East feed but judging from responses here I'm guessing it was much better.

It was clear and about 70 deg here when I recorded the episode.
I just verified that I recorded my regular Showtime channel, so it must be the Showtime West feed.
post #124 of 179 Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I find this comical. Last night they ran a commercial for Masters on CBS. It looked MUCH better than it does on SHO.
Marc Wielage and Keenan like this.

post #125 of 179 Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I just verified that I recorded my regular Showtime channel, so it must be the Showtime West feed.
Thanks, I'm going to try and record both feeds this Sunday, if I can, Sunday has suddenly become a very busy night for TV!
post #126 of 179 Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 552
I continue to love Masters of Sex. The talent of its large ensemble cast is off the charts. This week, I particularly enjoyed Julianne Nicholson's moving performance as Dr. Lillian DePaul. She's lucky to have a friend like Virginia Johnson but I'm pretty sure she is too sick these days to realize it. Add to that poor Dr. Barton Scully's problems and the sadness of this show is almost overwhelming.
post #127 of 179 Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I continue to love Masters of Sex. The talent of its large ensemble cast is off the charts. This week, I particularly enjoyed Julianne Nicholson's moving performance as Dr. Lillian DePaul. She's lucky to have a friend like Virginia Johnson but I'm pretty sure she is too sick these days to realize it. Add to that poor Dr. Barton Scully's problems and the sadness of this show is almost overwhelming.
Yep, right there with you, but I empathize with Dr. DePaul's situation, she's a trooper, is she even doing chemo-therapy of any kind? I don't know how cancer was treated back then, but it looks like she's starting to lose her bearings completely. Mrs. Masters is quite the character too. I wasn't awed by last week's show, I thought this week's was a lot better. All in all I really do like this show.
post #128 of 179 Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Even the part of Master's new secretary was very well done by Betsy Brandt of "Breaking Bad" fame.
post #129 of 179 Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Then it must be the worst HD ever, it looks horrible at times.
I will second this. Wife and I watched it via SHO on DirecTV, and it has not only bad, it has gotten progressively worse.

In particular, the night scenes were a pixellated mess. For example, the scene between Masters and Vivia almost went unviewable at times.
post #130 of 179 Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
They should enlist (IIRC) Rose in their study. She is 18 and maybe they will discover that there is nothing wrong with her.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #131 of 179 Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Enjoying it as well. Didn't have any interest when it aired, but a friend wanted it for a trip, so I helped with the season acquisition and after a check of the first episode I kept watching.

It has all the trappings of a soap opera, but just enough of the actual story to keep you involved. The Masters and Johnson history in this series gets interesting once you realize some of it is "Adjusted" for today's P.C. The real relationship is not as congenial as this script, but they do hint in the direction of truth in a few key moments. The ambiguous nature of Johnson's acceptance of the situation is perhaps less than truthful compared to reality of late 50s/early 60s and her.
post #132 of 179 Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The longest fight in the history of the sport in modern times. LOL Pretty good show tonight, as always.
post #133 of 179 Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I'm not seeing any problems related to compression on the feed I'm watching, which is Showtime West on DirecTV. I do think they've changed cinematographers and the show looks different -- darker and more moody, in my opinion -- but not terrible at all.

I do get a kick out of how they're using some of the real 1940s buildings on the old MGM lot (Sony Pictures, Culver City, just parking 1950s cars in front of them and having extras in costumes walk by. They're doing this for the hospitals, as one example. Most of the interiors are on soundstages, though that hospital entrance is a real building.
post #134 of 179 Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think that was one of those Emmy winning episodes, great writing.
post #135 of 179 Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike jones View Post
I agree. The dialogue in this one was excellent. But... taking a bath, having sex twice (ok, two and a half times for Virginia), getting a haircut, and eating a nice filet dinner in less than an hour (the fight ended with Moore winning on an 11th round knockout) would be pretty tough, especially at the leisurely pace they seemed to be going.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/10/2...v-yvon-durelle
post #136 of 179 Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike jones View Post
It was indeed. Watching Michael Sheen and Lizzie Caplan play with the dialogue when they were creating the fictional biographies of Bill and Virginia was a real treat. I wonder if everything was on the written page or they had some freedom to improvise. The back and forth conversations were wonderfully natural. The story thread about the hermaphrodite baby was pretty raw but very well done. I have found myself admiring the writing and acting on this show more every week. I didn't realize that Lizzie was Janis Ian in Mean Girls. She's come a long way.
post #137 of 179 Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even finish watching last nights episode, I may be out. Damn you Breaking Bad.

post #138 of 179 Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
I'm not seeing any problems related to compression on the feed I'm watching, which is Showtime West on DirecTV.
Possibly better PQ on ShoWest ... I switched the recording over from ShoEast this week. At least the compression didn't hit one over the head with a sledgehammer. It's too early to tell with just the single data point though.
post #139 of 179 Old 07-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
I didn't even finish watching last nights episode, I may be out. Damn you Breaking Bad.
What a shame. You should really watch this episode. The writing and acting are superb. The use of the fight woven into the Bill and Virginia's verbal and sexual exchanges, along with Bill's reveal of his relationship with his father and disdain for the father of the hermaphrodite baby is amazing. Right up there with this season's interrogation episode by Carrie of Brodie in Homeland. I wasn't expecting something as powerful as this in Masters.
post #140 of 179 Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
MoS and BB are two totally different programs though. Masters of Sex is going to be very tame compared to Breaking Bad.

I myself prefer BB over MoS though
post #141 of 179 Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I guess I will have to see how this progresses but last year Virginia came across as this women of the 70s living in the 50s. She even turned down marriage to a guy who said she could go to school and become anything she wanted.

Instead she has gone the route of basically having an affair with Masters. They are not even collecting data at this point. This just seems completely in contrast to how they developed her to this point.
post #142 of 179 Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I guess I will have to see how this progresses but last year Virginia came across as this women of the 70s living in the 50s. She even turned down marriage to a guy who said she could go to school and become anything she wanted.

Instead she has gone the route of basically having an affair with Masters. They are not even collecting data at this point. This just seems completely in contrast to how they developed her to this point.
I think she is having the affair with Masters for 2 reasons. First, she is attracted to him. Second, and more so, she wants to continue the study and be a part of it. Remember, this is the 50s where women had to battle and basically do anything to keep up with men. Their opportunities were much more limited. I don't think Virginia does anything unless is helps her advance.

David M.
post #143 of 179 Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I think she is having the affair with Masters for 2 reasons. First, she is attracted to him. Second, and more so, she wants to continue the study and be a part of it. Remember, this is the 50s where women had to battle and basically do anything to keep up with men. Their opportunities were much more limited. I don't think Virginia does anything unless is helps her advance.
Yes, and that type of relationship in that time frame was exotic. Both were taking advantage of each other and it was understood on both sides. Much of what's written on them is likely well scrubbed for the late 60's/70s when they were an item in the press.

Her late in life interviews were really interesting. Their marriage was a business partnership. A "Power Couple" in publishing.
post #144 of 179 Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Possibly better PQ on ShoWest ... I switched the recording over from ShoEast this week. At least the compression didn't hit one over the head with a sledgehammer. It's too early to tell with just the single data point though.
I've been watching on ShoWest as well and haven't had any issues. I have not checked the East feed lately though so I'm not sure if it has been any better than it was early on.
post #145 of 179 Old 08-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am amazed at how different this season is as compared to the last. The topics have gotten very intense with a lot of focus on civil rights and associated changes. The writing and acting is excellent and the stories lines keep getting stronger.

David M.
post #146 of 179 Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
My recordings of this show have become nearly unwatchable. Lots of artifacts and macroblocking. Don't know if the fault is in my DVR or the channel itself.

The ending of the last episode confused me. It really seemed like that doctor (forgot his name) was on Bill's side the whole time. So what's with the trashing of the flyers?

post #147 of 179 Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Hospital Director at Buell Green wants a big time white doctor, and is will do anything to integrate his hospital, including letting Dr. Masters think he wants the sex research program. He really doesn't want it, but in order to get Masters, he pretends to like it, but behind the scenes, he doesn't want it.
post #148 of 179 Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
The ending of the last episode confused me. It really seemed like that doctor (forgot his name) was on Bill's side the whole time. So what's with the trashing of the flyers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
The Hospital Director at Buell Green wants a big time white doctor, and is will do anything to integrate his hospital, including letting Dr. Masters think he wants the sex research program. He really doesn't want it, but in order to get Masters, he pretends to like it, but behind the scenes, he doesn't want it.
This makes sense. When I saw the hospital doctor who hired Bill throwout his flyers, I was as puzzled as cuzzin was but your post convinces me that the doctor who hired Bill wants him for his reputation but would be pleased to see his sex research project disappear. It's going to be interesting to see what the black doctor will do next to thwart Bill and Virginia's project.
post #149 of 179 Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
Translation: hypocrite.
post #150 of 179 Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This show continues to get better and better! Great writing and superior acting. Is it me or is Lizzy Caplan about the sexiest actress out there at the moment! They could not have picked a better actress for her character.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply HDTV Programming