post #151 of 179 Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post
Is it me or is Lizzy Caplan about the sexiest actress out there at the moment!
Either that or todays fashions for women really suck. I'm kinda stuck on the latter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Very emotional show tonight with brilliant acting by Julianne Nicholson and Lizzy Caplan. The scene in which Virginia cuts off the 911 call and, out of love and respect for Lillian, lets her go was gut wrenching.
dminches and acebreathe like this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-18-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #153 of 179 Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I thought that may have been the best episode of M&S. So much emotion from each of the characters on all the story lines.

Julianne Nicholson has become one of my favorite actresses. I wish she had more lead roles.

David M.
post #154 of 179 Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I thought that may have been the best episode of M&S. So much emotion from each of the characters on all the story lines.

Julianne Nicholson has become one of my favorite actresses. I wish she had more lead roles.
She's certainly come a long way since her time on Ally McBeal.
post #155 of 179 Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Couldn't agree more! Nicholson was wonderful as the brilliant but lonely and socially inept Dr. Lillian DePaul. She nearly broke my heart when told Virginia a little about her unhappy youth as a remarkably tall and skinny girl.
Keenan and acebreathe like this.
post #156 of 179 Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Couldn't agree more! Nicholson was wonderful as the brilliant but lonely and socially inept Dr. Lillian DePaul. She nearly broke my heart when told Virginia a little about her unhappy youth as a remarkably tall and skinny girl.
Totally agree. This show is vaulting up to the top of the season of viewing for me. I must admit I started watching this for the smut (thanks Sarah Silverman BTW), but the writing and acting are really first class. Showtime has really hit a home run here.
post #157 of 179 Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Renewed for season 3. Going to miss J. Nicholson's Dr. DePaul. Really sad story about awkward youth and never being loved as far as she knew. Not surprising she decided to go out on her own terms. Nice touch having Virginia hang up the phone when she realized it was the way her friend wanted to go.
post #158 of 179 Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
is Ms. Nicholson still on Boardwalk Empire ? Her character showed up in bits and pieces here and there in the most recent seasons, but the new season is about 5 years after the previous season
post #159 of 179 Old 08-22-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
is Ms. Nicholson still on Boardwalk Empire ? Her character showed up in bits and pieces here and there in the most recent seasons, but the new season is about 5 years after the previous season
She's not listed in the 2014 cast for Boardwalk Empire in IMDB. She was very good in August: Osage County, playing up against powerhouses Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and the always great Margo Martindale. I also remember her as the young Detective on Law and Order: Criminal Intent for a few seasons. She has a long and excellent body of work and she will be missed on MOS.
acebreathe likes this.
post #160 of 179 Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Good show tonight, it was almost like a new season started tonight.
acebreathe and BoilerJim like this.
post #161 of 179 Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
There was a lot of ground (and time) covered in last night's episode. I may have to watch it again. How did Dr. & Mrs. Masters wind up with a new baby girl? Did I miss something? Is this one his?
post #162 of 179 Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sarah Silverman, bare breasted. Another thing to exploit to Jimmy Kimmel as she's "F**king Matt Damon".
post #163 of 179 Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
There was a lot of ground (and time) covered in last night's episode. I may have to watch it again. How did Dr. & Mrs. Masters wind up with a new baby girl? Did I miss something? Is this one his?
As far as I know it's his. She went for fertility treatments again. Mentioned in a throw away line. You're not kidding about covering a lot of ground not to mention years.
post #164 of 179 Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 69
We haven't seen the last episode yet but time jump ahead was quite jarring. Lots of ground was covered and storylines were advanced but not all was explained: it seemed that Master's marriage was on the rocks so the new baby was quite the surprise as was his no longer working at Buell hospital. I may need a Masters Of Sex for dummy ' s book to keep up!
post #165 of 179 Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The fight between brothers was brutal! He was verbally abusing his alcoholic brother
(I don't watch this show. I do not know the story behind the fight..)
post #166 of 179 Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
The fight between brothers was brutal! He was verbally abusing his alcoholic brother
Way too complicated to try and explain. Masters got what he wanted out of it.
post #167 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
We didn't know until this episode either, only know what was explained. Their father was beating both of them and when older brother left home, the other was left to fend for himself.
post #168 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Several weeks ago, my TiVo lost its mind and ate my Masters of Sex season pass. As a consequence I missed Episodes 7, 8, 9, and 10. Today I setup a new season pass, watched 7, ,8, and 9 on Showtime Anytime, and have episode 10 setup to record on my TiVo tonight.

I continue to be deeply impressed with the show. Masters is a self-centered and delusional, gold plated a**hole but as much as I detest him I can't take my eyes off of him. His sexual dysfunction has struck me as Just Deserts.

Virginia is an around the bend risk taker but in her own way seems to love Masters and God help her with that! Masters' wife, Libby is a child woman, completely oblivious to Masters' treachery. I want to feel sorry for her, but have a hard time generating much sympathy. The bottom line is that despite the absence of the endlessly intriguing Scullys, played by the great Beau Bridges and Allison Janney, I like the show as much as ever.

I should add that I also enjoyed the performances of Christian Borle as Masters' brother. He is a fine actor and is a Broadway musical theater star to boot. He had a featured role in NBC's "live" production of The Sound of Music.
Gov likes this.

Last edited by gwsat; 09-17-2014 at 08:31 PM.
post #169 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I should add that I also enjoyed the performances of Christian Borle as Masters' brother. He is a find actor and is a Broadway musical theater star to boot. He had a featured role in NBC's "live" production of The Sound of Music.
And survived his two seasons of Smash with his reputation intact
post #170 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
And survived his two seasons of Smash with his reputation intact
Because I never met a musical I didn't like, I liked Smash more than hated it but it was close. As you noted, Borle was good in the show as were several other principals but bad writing doomed it.
post #171 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Several weeks ago, my TiVo lost its mind and ate my Masters of Sex season pass. As a consequence I missed Episodes 7, 8, 9, and 10. Today I setup a new season pass, watched 7, ,8, and 9 on Showtime Anytime, and have episode 10 setup to record on my TiVo tonight.

I continue to be deeply impressed with the show. Masters is a self-centered and delusional, gold plated a**hole but as much as I detest him I can't take my eyes off of him. His sexual dysfunction has struck me as Just Deserts.

Virginia is an around the bend risk taker but in her own way seems to love Masters and God help her with that! Masters' wife, Libby is a child woman, completely oblivious to Masters' treachery. I want to feel sorry for her, but have a hard time generating much sympathy. The bottom line is that despite the absence of the endlessly intriguing Scullys, played by the great Beau Bridges and Allison Janney, I like the show as much as ever.

I should add that I also enjoyed the performances of Christian Borle as Masters' brother. He is a find actor and is a Broadway musical theater star to boot. He had a featured role in NBC's "live" production of The Sound of Music.
I really like this show too but I think that the absence of the Scully's and the late Dr. DePaul has left a big hole and I'm amazed as well at how oblivious Libby is. I don't really buy her civil rights storyline. It seems tacked on like we need to know how turbulent the times were outside of the "study ". I hope Lester doesn't screw things up with Barbara. That could be the one successful cure that Masters has been looking for. Despite the one or two faults the acting continues to be top notch.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #172 of 179 Old 09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I really like this show too but I think that the absence of the Scully's and the late Dr. DePaul has left a big hole and I'm amazed as well at how oblivious Libby is. I don't really buy her civil rights storyline. It seems tacked on like we need to know how turbulent the times were outside of the "study ". I hope Lester doesn't screw things up with Barbara. That could be the one successful cure that Masters has been looking for. Despite the one or two faults the acting continues to be top notch.
I agree that the loss of powerhouse performers like Bridges, Janney, and Julianne Nicholson leaves a hole. Nevertheless, as you noted, the acting continues to be outstanding.

As for Libby's cluelessness. The norm for well bred matrons of Libby's day who had troubles in their marriages was to ignore them and hope they would go away. That's why Libby's confession to Virginia that she and Masters hadn't had sex in over a year surprised me. Because of that, I am inclined to think she really is unaware of Masters' dalliance with Virginia but who knows?
post #173 of 179 Old 09-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'm inclined to think the same way especially since she continues to think of Virginia as a close friend. When the betrayal finally comes to light it will be doubly devastating. But if she does know, or at least suspects, that could prove to very interesting.
post #174 of 179 Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
I don't think Libby's civil right story was tacked on. In fact, they have been telegraphing for quite awhile that she will be having an affair of her own with the black civil rights/babysitter's brother character. Sorry, can't remember his name, want to say Marcus? This is usually not my type of show, but gave it a chance because have heard of all the excellent acting. At this point, I find myself in the unusally behavoir of fast forwarding through the sex scenes to get to the dialogue. I think both leads are terrible human beings. Master being an egotistical azzhole and Johnson a manipulative go getter that will use anyone to get what she wants. I am waiting to see the hammer fall on both of them.
post #175 of 179 Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I think Libby is more interested in having a big black stud in bed with her. She just may not realize it yet. She was intrigued when her housekeeper told the story about how her man (she later learns it was made up because he was her brother) satisfied her in bed. The maid just couldn't resist zinging her since she knew the Masters' slept in separate beds. Libby is not sexually satisfied and the brother may be her answer.
post #176 of 179 Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Just a side note about the housing projects that Libby and Robert were canvassing, Netflix has an excellent documentary about those very buildings called The Pruitt-Igoe Myth. Having watched the film several months ago it was interesting to see a portion of the documentary dramatized in this show.
post #177 of 179 Old 09-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I continue to watch this show with my wife every week and it continues to floor us with every episode! Great story writing and fabulous acting!! I agree, I cannot take my eyes off the two main characters they are just amazing on camera together! I also agree that Libby is looking for attention in many ways. I can't wait to see where this is going with the civil rights activist angle. Can't wait until Sunday!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #178 of 179 Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Well, those of you who wanted to see Caitlin Fitzgerald (Libby Masters) naked, last night, you got your wish.
post #179 of 179 Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Great season finale!
acebreathe likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page