Masters of Sex on SHO - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #211 of 220 Old 12-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
You and I watched different shows. Virginia's insecurity grew throughout the series and even reared its head on the steps of the courthouse after they got married. Brilliant writing. Bill loved Virginia but was terribly hurt by her inability to commit to him. And even after they got married he knew he still had to worry about her.

I have watched every Shameless episode since day 1 but that series has run its course. The stories lines are bad repeats of prior story lines. The Kevin / V stuff is unwatchable.

This Is Us is horrible. They claim they are about real people but it certainly isn't about real life. I wanted to like this show but it is too unrealistic.
I am glad you enjoyed it. At least they had some fans. Virtually all the critics destroyed it and said that it went downhill and continued that way after the first season. To me it was like Grey's Anatomy it that it became more and more soap about them and less about the patients and REALITY.

Here is a discussion on the ratings drops http://www.lawyerherald.com/articles...4-season-5.htm
Shameless drew three times the numbers of Masters.

This review represents my feelings: http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2016/09...s_for_sea.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 01-16-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I binged the last season and thought it played off the previous seasons very nicely. I can't stand shows that don't "progress" whether it's for the good or bad you need character/story development. Being the finale worked for the most part. Most everybody is happy with a few open arcs as such is life... most of the time.

This season I think virtually everyone was maturing as in reflecting on the past (seasons but not living in it) and realizing the future isn't far off and deciding how they can shape it. Now isn't quite as important as it once was...

I don't know anything about its ratings however I tend to think a lot of viewers "pigeon hole" characters/story arcs and when they "progress" it becomes not what it once was... and they tend to drift away. Often they don't go on the adventure regardless of where it may lead.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #213 of 220 Old 01-16-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I am glad you enjoyed it. At least they had some fans. Virtually all the critics destroyed it and said that it went downhill and continued that way after the first season. To me it was like Grey's Anatomy it that it became more and more soap about them and less about the patients and REALITY.
I loved it but how they renewed The Affair and not this? Here's a ratings for Showtime shows and look at the drop of viewership looks like they have a cut off point and The Affair just made it from being dropped. I was one of the ones that tuned out for season three I'd had enough. Masters of Sex was very good IMO.

http://www.tvseriesfinale.com/tv-sho...ratings-33448/

These are just my opinions.
post #214 of 220 Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Well I can see The Affair attracting an upscale demo.

Masters of Sex might have at the beginning but it's aged and seemed to have said what they needed to say. The early seasons where they had to fight against conservative university and community was a story worth telling.

But eventually devolved into a soap opera with nude scenes here and there.
post #215 of 220 Old 01-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
But eventually devolved into a soap opera with nude scenes here and there.
I tend to see it more as character driven than soap opera and not devolved... the first few seasons introduced you to the characters and building their careers. The last season (remember the number of years covered in the story far exceed the number of seasons) dealt with how they want to live their lives as they grow old... your focus often changes as you get older and to my thinking the series reflected such.
dminches likes this.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 01-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.
post #216 of 220 Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 408
The last season and the half season before the last one was about either Masters or Johnson wanting the other and getting rebuffed and then finally they get together in the end.

Yawn.
post #217 of 220 Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
While Masters handled its waning years better than most shows do, I do think that it has been showing its age for a while. Season 3 had to bring in the fictional children to fill time in a lot of the episodes, while season 4 had to bring in two extra doctors to create office drama, so it was clear to me that they were running out of core material and having to make things up to keep the show going. I think it was time to end the show, but I am sad that it didn't really get a proper ending.

I'm rather shocked that only seasons 1 and 2 seem to be readily available on Blu-ray. Season 3 ended quite some time ago, but it's hard to find, even on DVD. I guess the odds of a complete series BD boxset with additional special features are pretty low.
post #218 of 220 Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Season 3 had to bring in the fictional children to fill time in a lot of the episodes, while season 4 had to bring in two extra doctors to create office drama, so it was clear to me that they were running out of core material and having to make things up to keep the show going.
Since it's not a documentary I don't think you can state one aspect of the series is "made up" any more than any other aspect. Whatever happened or didn't happen to Masters & Johnson (in real life) is irrelevant to its story.

post #219 of 220 Old 01-17-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
My point was that seasons 1 and 2 had enough material to pretty much focus solely on the two of them, whereas they had to start introducing third parties in season 3 in order to have enough material to fill a full season. That's never a good sign when it comes to the continued success of a show.
post #220 of 220 Old 01-17-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
My point was that seasons 1 and 2 had enough material to pretty much focus solely on the two of them, whereas they had to start introducing third parties in season 3 in order to have enough material to fill a full season.
I look at it as (stated in a previous post) the early seasons introduced the main characters and the following seasons brought them out by showing what was happening around them and its impact. Not unlike when you meet someone and become friends over the years...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page