Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599

The White Queen STARZ HD August 10th 2013 Premier

I had not heard of this one till today .. looks like it may be worth a try ..

http://www.starz.com/originals/TheWhiteQueen

From STARZ Site :

The White Queen is a riveting portrayal of one of the most dramatic and turbulent times in English history. A story of love and lust, seduction and deception, betrayal and murder, it is uniquely told through the perspective of three different, yet equally relentless women - Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville. In their quest for power, they will scheme, manipulate and seduce their way onto the English throne.

The year is 1464, before the Tudor dynasty ruled the country, and war has been ravaging throughout England over who is the rightful King. It is a bitter dispute between two sides of the same family, The House of York and The House of Lancaster.

The House of York's young and handsome Edward IV is crowned King of England with the help of the master manipulator, Lord Warwick "The Kingmaker." But when Edward falls in love with a beautiful Lancastrian commoner, Elizabeth Woodville, Warwick's plan to control the throne comes crashing down.

A violent, high-stakes struggle ensues between Elizabeth, her most fierce adversary, Lancastrian Margaret Beaufort, and Anne Neville, the pawn in her father's power game - each woman vying for the crown.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 61 Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have been watching the promos for this for awhile now, and it looks pretty good. Next Friday will be season finale of Magic City, and Saturday The White Queen premires. Looking forward to next weekend on Starz!
post #4 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its a times i like reading , watching stories about. I hope the show goes long enough storywise to see the war, battles that will lead to the lesser known Tudor challening these familes for the crown.

Only few years before things go crashing down for these houses.
post #5 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I think we are going to give this a try, loved all the other period piece shows on the premium channels, so will give this a shot too.

post #6 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I am looking forward to this and Black Sails which starts in January.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #7 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Black Sails does look interesting ..

Uncle Willie

post #8 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
I'm going to try this. I've liked all of the period pieces that have shown on Starz, HBO, and SHO with the exception of The Borgias.

Bobby 

post #9 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I'm going to try this. I've liked all of the period pieces that have shown on Starz, HBO, and SHO with the exception of The Borgias.

I liked the first two seasons of "The Borgias" .. season 3 was a drag I thought ..

Favorites though, have to be "Spartacus" , and "Rome" .. I did not really care for "The Tudors" ..

Uncle Willie

post #10 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks like this show has already started on BBC - season one might already be complete on there....but from what I've read BBC is censoring out the "juicy bits" and Starz won't be....so I'm waiting for the Starz edition.
post #11 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Looks like this show has already started on BBC - season one might already be complete on there....but from what I've read BBC is censoring out the "juicy bits" and Starz won't be....so I'm waiting for the Starz edition.

If you look at Starz listing, it shows it as new but lists the original air date as some time ago.

post #12 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The first episode was broadcast on BBC 16 June 2013

Uncle Willie

post #13 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

Juicy bits in the UK could also mean violence. The Brits like most Europeans more pretty sensitive about violence than US audiences.
post #14 of 61 Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Well, whichever 'juicy bits' they are talking about we'll find out soon enough smile.gif.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #15 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Isn't the historical story this is based on also cited by Martin as a major inspiration for "Game of Thrones"?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #16 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Juicy bits in the UK could also mean violence. The Brits like most Europeans more pretty sensitive about violence than US audiences.

The UK did not edit out the violence, the producers made two versions and the Starz edit contains more sex and nudity. That's a new twist, but Starz MO now is selling drama with excess.

post #17 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The UK did not edit out the violence, the producers made two versions and the Starz edit contains more sex and nudity. That's a new twist, but Starz MO now is selling drama with excess.

The BBC (and other UK OTA broadcasters) are usually a bit less concerned about nudity and language than US OTA broadcasters, but a bit more concerned than US and UK cable/satellite pay-TV broadcasters. There is also a distinct 9pm watershed. Anything before 9pm should be family-friendly, but after 9pm things aren't guaranteed to be (though shows at 9pm will be less "adult" than shows at 11pm) If you are a pay-TV broadcaster (and thus using encryption), you can show non-family friendly content pre-9pm only if it is PIN-restricted.

Violence is a different matter. UK broadcasters, in general, appear to be more sensitive to violence than US broadcasters. So we're probably happier with nudity, sexual situations and language some people see as profane, but less happy with more extreme violence (including use of guns)

Because the White Queen was broadcast in a pretty high-profile slot and was a costume drama on the BBC, I think there was a section of the audience expecting a "BBC costume drama" and they were a bit surprised... Lots of complaints about the quality of the costumes (with modern wardrobe techniques being spotted that wouldn't have been used at the time... Some spotted press-studs)
post #18 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I wonder if the non-smut version will become available outside of the UK when the series gets released on home video, or if it will be exclusively available in Region 2.
post #19 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I wonder if the non-smut version will become available outside of the UK when the series gets released on home video, or if it will be exclusively available in Region 2.
I hope not. I would not want to get one by mistake.
JimboG likes this.
post #20 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

We loved the first episode. VERY easy to follow, will be interesting to see where they go and how things pan out.

post #21 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I only caught the first episode on Encore so I won't be watching any others. Game of Thrones has spoiled medieval drama for me because the production value of this was extremely mediocre. Flat direction, bland television-quality cinematography, cheap costume design and anachronistic dialog.

The anachronisms had me double-taking a lot of this. I didn't even realize that it had been covered in the UK press, but as I was watching and spotting zippers and the locations with Georgian windows and drainpipes that looked as if they had been shot in a factory warehouse from the 1970s, I was wondering where the 10 million budget had been spent. Surely they could have hired an FX team to remove some of the fittings and add some period atmosphere? At the least the wardrobe unit could have added some buttons or masked the zippers on the costumes.

But hey, boobs. So there was that. wink.gif

post #22 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I think I snoozed a bit, I also blame GOT...

I didn't get how the woman went from asking the king for the land, then having a date, almost getting raped by him and next thing I see is they are in love and getting married?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #23 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I didn't get how the woman went from asking the king for the land, then having a date, almost getting raped by him and next thing I see is they are in love and getting married?

You know I wasn't paying full attention to the screen, but I thought I had missed something too. At first I assumed it was a different guy she was marrying.

Did I miss the scene where Elizabeth (?) falls in love with rapey-king as Dany somewhat implausibly did with Drogo on Thrones?

post #24 of 61 Old 08-13-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know I wasn't paying full attention to the screen, but I thought I had missed something too. At first I assumed it was a different guy she was marrying.

Did I miss the scene where Elizabeth (?) falls in love with rapey-king as Dany somewhat implausibly did with Drogo on Thrones?

She started falling for him as soon as she saw him the first time. Then he laid on the charm and showed how interrested he was in her which showed her he liked her and they went back and forth like that for awhile. She wanted him, he wanted her. When he tried to take her, she wanted to, but she kept saying she didn't want to as his mistress, she only wanted to as his queen. That is why she stopped him, not because she didn't want to have sex, she obviously did, she just wanted to do it as the queen. They then show them talking about how much they miss each other and can't stand being away, etc. She sees the magic string that says she is going to be queen, etc. etc. they can't stand being apart, so he marries her so they can be together.

post #25 of 61 Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 AM

There are two versions of this series. 9 episodes have already been broadcast in the UK and will conclude with the 10th episode on August 18th.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10123456/The-White-Queen-Cameras-kept-rolling-in-sex-scenes-for-US-audience.html
post #26 of 61 Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We already discussed that in the posts you didn't read. rolleyes.gif

post #27 of 61 Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM

You're absolutely right. My apology.
post #28 of 61 Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Game of Thrones has spoiled medieval drama for me because the production value of this was extremely mediocre.

You do realize that Game of Thrones is fantasy, set in a mythical time and place, with dragons and direwolves and dead people walking, right? Personally I thought the first episode of The White Queen was beautifully done, with excellent production values. The love story is a little sappy, maybe, but I liked it, and the leads are very appealing. To each his own.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #29 of 61 Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

You do realize that Game of Thrones is fantasy, set in a mythical time and place, with dragons and direwolves and dead people walking, right? Personally I thought the first episode of The White Queen was beautifully done, with excellent production values. The love story is a little sappy, maybe, but I liked it, and the leads are very appealing. To each his own.

I'll second that .. I'm in for the full run ..

I did wonder, though, if this was planned to be a one season run .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #30 of 61 Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

You do realize that Game of Thrones is fantasy, set in a mythical time and place, with dragons and direwolves and dead people walking, right?

And yet it still manages to evoke a more realistic period than a show supposedly based on an actual period in time.

And not to forget that White Queen also features magic.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page