post #331 of 357 Old 01-18-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
I agree with that 100%. If it does morph into a weekly episodic format, then I am probably done.
Considering the writers only seemed to have one idea for an arc plot and have been stretching it out poorly, going episodic might actually be to their strength.

If they had tied up some of the lingering stories earlier and got rid of them the show might have fared better. Right now Katrina, Headless, Irving and even Henry are just hanging around for no real point. Orlando Jones in particular has been a glorified extra looking for a contractual justification to exist.

I'd rather see a single episode with a cool, historical mystery as just an excuse for some Crane/Abbie banter than an ongoing plot which every week is delayed with some last minute antique doohickey.
acebreathe likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 357 Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 502
They should let Katrina, Headless and Henry disappear into the mist(at least for the rest of the season) and bring back Orlando into a more prominent role.
post #333 of 357 Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Even a completely separate two or three episode new mini-arc would be an improvement right now, instead of trying to keep first season storylines going.

Crane and Abbie can go on vacation and bump into Ben Gates. Nicholas Cage will take any paycheck these days so he should be an easy get.
Keenan likes this.

post #334 of 357 Old 01-19-2015, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 272
How Fox plans to fix 'Sleepy Hollow'
By James Hibberd, EW.com's 'Inside TV' Blog - Jan. 17, 2015

Brace yourself, Sleepy Hollow fans. Fox is making some changes to the supernatural sophomore series. The network’s top brass told reporters they’re planning some creative tweaks to the show in the wake of its troubling ratings plummet this season.

Fox TV chairman and CEO Dana Walden told critics at the TCA press tour that the show will be less serialized and have a slightly lighter tone in the future. “We’re excited about some creative changes on the show and bringing it back to something that feels a little more episodic in nature, that has closure and doesn’t feel quite so serialized,” she said. “But we really love the show. We love Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie. They have fantastic chemistry. We feel like it’s a really unique series.”

Walden later clarified. “We are responding to a little bit to — not necessarily the criticisms — but this show has a high level of difficulty,” she said. “It’s a relationship show, a period show, you have iconic characters, you’re trying to tell mysteries and the show got a little overly serialized this past season. It’s very difficult on a show like this to get the exact right balance. Honestly, we felt watching the show, as passionate viewers, the show got too serialized. As part of our diagnostic process on any show, we tried to determine what’s working and what’s not working. We’re trying to return the fun to it a little bit. It’s an epic battle between good and evil, so there’s a tendency to be a little dark. It’s all about calibrating the show, not about making dramatic changes.”

Having said that, Walden said there’s no current plans to make any cast changes (cough-Katrina-cough). “We don’t have any creative changes [planned],” she said. “It was more [about] having a show that’s easier to access week to week that you don’t have to feel like if you tune into episode three of our new run, that you have to go back and watch the first two. So some greater procedural stories and maybe toning down a little bit the apocalyptic vision that existed in the initial episodes this season.”

Fox renewed Gotham, Empire and Brooklyn Nine-Nine this morning. Sleepy Hollow was left off the list, but the network has until May to decide its fate. Walden says she plans to “wait a little longer” on making the decision. “I’m hopeful it will come back as well.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fix-sleepy-hollow/

post #335 of 357 Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Sounds like the powers-that-be are missing the forest for the trees.

This was a good show with good potential, and the long story arc probably could have carried them well for 3-4 seasons, depending on how many episodes they did per year.

Beyond that? I don't know. I always thought this show had limited appeal in that it had a strong concept, but once you play that out, it is hard to top it without becoming like so many of the other shows that have already mined the territory.

Buffy came along and had the market all to itself... Charmed piggy-backed on that a little... then we got Supernatural. A whole bunch of vampire stuff popped up that I have happily ignored (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, etc.)

Sleepy Hollow had a chance to be in that genre but have a space all to itself... a bigger version of the classic Sleepy Hollow/Headless Horseman story that worked in season one.

I don't think this show works as well if it tries to become like the other shows... and they appear to have already cut the head off the headless horseman story at this point so I really don't know how to unring that bell.
Machuran likes this.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #336 of 357 Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Sounds like the powers-that-be are missing the forest for the trees.

This was a good show with good potential, and the long story arc probably could have carried them well for 3-4 seasons, depending on how many episodes they did per year.

Beyond that? I don't know. I always thought this show had limited appeal in that it had a strong concept, but once you play that out, it is hard to top it without becoming like so many of the other shows that have already mined the territory.

Buffy came along and had the market all to itself... Charmed piggy-backed on that a little... then we got Supernatural. A whole bunch of vampire stuff popped up that I have happily ignored (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, etc.)

Sleepy Hollow had a chance to be in that genre but have a space all to itself... a bigger version of the classic Sleepy Hollow/Headless Horseman story that worked in season one.

I don't think this show works as well if it tries to become like the other shows... and they appear to have already cut the head off the headless horseman story at this point so I really don't know how to unring that bell.
Exactly, Sleepy Hollow had its own unique charm working for them, there was no reason to change all of that.
post #337 of 357 Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 788
I checked out at the beginning of the season, primarily because I just didn't have time for it -- too much other good stuff and I figured I'd catch up "when I had a chance" (fat chance). But the episodes have been piling up on the DVR all season and I'm about to lose that DVR and it's attendant expansion drive (moving), so I guess it's adios to Sleepy Hollow. The good news? It doesn't look like I missed all that much!

I did enjoy the first season though, when it was something kind of new and fresh. Sort of like 'Once Upon a Time' which was a lot of fun in its first year but seemed to take a big swan dive toward redundancy and banality in its second season. Some of these "high concept" shows just can't sustain the premise beyond a season or two, especially if they're on a broadcast net and have to come up with 22 eps a season instead of cable's 12.
post #338 of 357 Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I checked out at the beginning of the season, primarily because I just didn't have time for it -- too much other good stuff and I figured I'd catch up "when I had a chance" (fat chance). But the episodes have been piling up on the DVR all season and I'm about to lose that DVR and it's attendant expansion drive (moving), so I guess it's adios to Sleepy Hollow. The good news? It doesn't look like I missed all that much!

I did enjoy the first season though, when it was something kind of new and fresh. Sort of like 'Once Upon a Time' which was a lot of fun in its first year but seemed to take a big swan dive toward redundancy and banality in its second season. Some of these "high concept" shows just can't sustain the premise beyond a season or two, especially if they're on a broadcast net and have to come up with 22 eps a season instead of cable's 12.
This is definitely a bigger swan dive than OuaT, which was more gradual by comparison. It's gotten to the point where FOX had to step in to retool it and we don't even know how that'll turn out yet.
post #339 of 357 Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The fact that they had the delicious Michelle Trachtenberg in yesterday's episode, but only used her for literally a minute or two, proves they have no idea what they're doing.
mike1812 and Machuran like this.
post #340 of 357 Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
The fact that they had the delicious Michelle Trachtenberg in yesterday's episode, but only used her for literally a minute or two, proves they have no idea what they're doing.
That and they had Katrina constantly repeat her full name over and over again as well as going on and on about how they were such good friends and such.
post #341 of 357 Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It pains me to watch this show but my wife still likes it
Machuran likes this.
post #342 of 357 Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Now the show will have to pack up and move from NC to Georgia I am getting the feeling season two will be the last. I don't think Fox will be bothered to retool the entire show and production based on the mediocre ratings it gets.

Plus they have more remakes like Luther on the way!

post #343 of 357 Old 01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The overnight ratings have slid badly compared to last year not surprisingly, but supposedly the Hulu, Fox online or whatever their website is called, streaming numbers are still really good. If it wasn't for that Fox would probably just cancel and be done with it. Really hoping against hope that they don't butcher Luther.
post #344 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I TRIED to watch Monday's episode last night. Got through the first 20 minutes because I was sitting still eating dinner. But then I got up, emptied the trash, opened the day's mail, fed the cat, and by the time I sat down again, it was over. I just deleted it from the dvr and about to wipe the season pass. As others have said, they had a great thing going last season, and they screwed it all up. This could have been a great 2 season limited run series focused JUST on Headless Horsemen storyline, but no.
post #345 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I actually liked this week's episode. The whole painting thing was deliciously creepy, and so was the dead body that Jenny had to pull the bullets out of. I liked it as a side monster of the week episode. And everyone had something to do, even Katrina!
post #346 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I just saw this thread and wanted to report that the Sleepy Hollow producers just finished filming for the last time down the street from my office in eastern NC. They are not coming back because our state ended film subsidy for them. Too bad as it was both exciting and financially beneficial for our city.
post #347 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I just saw this thread and wanted to report that the Sleepy Hollow producers just finished filming for the last time down the street from my office in eastern NC. They are not coming back because our state ended film subsidy for them. Too bad as it was both exciting and financially beneficial for our city.
Thanks, that explains them scouting a new location.
post #348 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'm in NC... and frankly I hate the subsidies, so I'm glad to see that go away. Film crews should want to film here because they like the people and the scenery/locations... they shouldn't have to be bribed.

That aside... this week's episode wasn't bad... but it isn't what Sleepy Hollow originally was last season. IT was like Supernatural with different cast members... and we already have Supernatural on the CW. So even a good episode of Sleepy Hollow like this seems a waste to me because it was and could have been better AND unique.
Machuran likes this.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #349 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I'm in NC... and frankly I hate the subsidies, so I'm glad to see that go away. Film crews should want to film here because they like the people and the scenery/locations... they shouldn't have to be bribed.

That aside... this week's episode wasn't bad... but it isn't what Sleepy Hollow originally was last season. IT was like Supernatural with different cast members... and we already have Supernatural on the CW. So even a good episode of Sleepy Hollow like this seems a waste to me because it was and could have been better AND unique.
Exactly, S1 felt more unique, nowadays it feels like Supernatural leftovers, especially if they're really heading for a more procedural slant.
post #350 of 357 Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
I actually liked this week's episode. The whole painting thing was deliciously creepy, and so was the dead body that Jenny had to pull the bullets out of. I liked it as a side monster of the week episode. And everyone had something to do, even Katrina!
I liked this one a lot more than the rest of what we've been getting lately, too. For once Ichabod and Katrina weren't bickering about their marriage in all their scenes together. I actually might be able to tolerate having everyone come together to solve supernatural mysteries each week if it puts an end to the tired relationship drama angles.
acebreathe likes this.
post #351 of 357 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And as I said before, no film industry for you!

Drive around, there is nothing that unique in NC that cannot be found elsewhere. Early 1900's houses near a river and trees is basically all the South. So Georgia will get all the business from now on.

At least we've still got Under the Dome and all those horrific Nicholas Sparks movies. That's quality right there, I tells ya!

In related news the show doesn't even have locations yet for next season.

Ultimately, a move to film-friendly Georgia was deemed the best choice for the show, which has gradually been deconstructing its sets on the EUE/Screen Gems Studios lot. As of now, however, the show has not pinned down a permanent filming location in the Atlanta area.

Len Wiseman, co-creator and executive producer of the show, said moving the established show from one city to another is a "big operation." But it also opens up new creative avenues for the show to explore.

"Whenever you land in a new place, it is exciting to expand your show on that level," Wiseman at the Television Critics Association Winter Press tour last week.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...on-somber-note

Last edited by VisionOn; Yesterday at 10:35 AM.
post #352 of 357 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Banshee on Cinemax also shoots in NC. Both shows have a similar look due to NC locations. Wonder if Banshee will follow Hollow to Atlanta?
post #353 of 357 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
At least we've still got Under the Dome and all those horrific Nicholas Sparks movies. That's quality right there, I tells ya!

In related news the show doesn't even have locations yet for next season.
I heard they were scouting for one.

Quote:
Ultimately, a move to film-friendly Georgia was deemed the best choice for the show, which has gradually been deconstructing its sets on the EUE/Screen Gems Studios lot. As of now, however, the show has not pinned down a permanent filming location in the Atlanta area.
Quote:

Len Wiseman, co-creator and executive producer of the show, said moving the established show from one city to another is a "big operation." But it also opens up new creative avenues for the show to explore.

"Whenever you land in a new place, it is exciting to expand your show on that level," Wiseman at the Television Critics Association Winter Press tour last week.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...on-somber-note
I've been hearing from Len Wiseman a lot lately in interviews, is he going to be the new showrunner?
post #354 of 357 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Banshee on Cinemax also shoots in NC. Both shows have a similar look due to NC locations. Wonder if Banshee will follow Hollow to Atlanta?
Highly likely. There are only a handful of shows and movies that have said they will be back and Banshee isn't on the list so far.

A lot of productions are filmed around Wilmington and Charlotte.

http://www.ncfilm.com/recent-productions.html

edit: oh, just Googled and said Banshee is going to New Orleans. That actually sounds like a good move. More interesting scenery.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...CLES/140829670
acebreathe likes this.

Last edited by VisionOn; Yesterday at 12:27 PM.
post #355 of 357 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
I've been hearing from Len Wiseman a lot lately in interviews, is he going to be the new showrunner?
Most of the recent news snippets were taken from the TCA panel this month which he was on with the Fox heads. I don't remember if Orci and the others were there but it could be Wiseman was the only one to be quoted at the time.

post #356 of 357 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Most of the recent news snippets were taken from the TCA panel this month which he was on with the Fox heads. I don't remember if Orci and the others were there but it could be Wiseman was the only one to be quoted at the time.
I was just speculating because this is coming from Wiseman instead of the current showrunner, Mark Goffman.

I think Orci and many of them left after S1.
post #357 of 357 Old Today, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
edit: oh, just Googled and said Banshee is going to New Orleans. That actually sounds like a good move. More interesting scenery.

Except that none of that interesting scenery would be found in "Pennsylvania" where Banshee is "located", so you won't see any of it in the show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming