Sleepy Hollow on Fox - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #511 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Holy crap. Sleepy Hollow got renewed!

Lose a lead actor and terrible ratings? Where has this Fox generosity been hiding?
aaronwt, videobruce and ltownsend like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Liked: 8488
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Lose a lead actor and terrible ratings? Where has this Fox generosity been hiding?
Wow. I expected to click on this thread and read it's been canceled. Now how about spreading that generosity around and resurrecting Fringe.
aaronwt likes this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #513 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Wow. I expected to click on this thread and read it's been canceled. Now how about spreading that generosity around and resurrecting Fringe.
Let them start with 'Firefly'. Fillian is available since 'Castle' was just cancelled. Go ahead and announce it now and watch the internets explode in a collective geekasm.
aaronwt and Keenan like this.
post #514 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #515 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Let them start with 'Firefly'. Fillian is available since 'Castle' was just cancelled. Go ahead and announce it now and watch the internets explode in a collective geekasm.
Or pick up POI - it's got a much bigger audience than SH...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #516 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
If they can bring back X-files after a decade buried in dust, then Firefly could actually be possible. As long as it was for a limited mini run. Fox still wouldn't want to pump that much money into making all that spacey stuff.

Plus six-episodes is about how long it would take for them to cancel it again so at least it would get an ending if it was only supposed to be that long.

Fillion better start hitting the gym just in case.
acebreathe likes this.

post #517 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
-
Cap'n Tightpants has always said he'd be on board the second he got a call from Joss. The biggest obstacle is Joss himself; he's spread pretty thin these days. Hell, if FOX didn't want to pony up, they could crowdsource the entire production budget in about 10 minutes.
post #518 of 534 Old 05-13-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Firefly is one of a few shows I really like. I can't recall another show in which I find all the characters interesting and likeable. Never understand the reason for the occasional use of the Chinese language though. Nonetheless, if there is a show I want to see resurrected, it would be Firefly.
ltownsend likes this.
post #519 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plus six-episodes is about how long it would take for them to cancel it again .
Especially if they air them in the wrong order again...
acebreathe likes this.

CC

post #520 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
Firefly is one of a few shows I really like. I can't recall another show in which I find all the characters interesting and likeable. Never understand the reason for the occasional use of the Chinese language though. Nonetheless, if there is a show I want to see resurrected, it would be Firefly.
Got you covered. Whedon spent 2 full years of his life thinking about how to create a fully-formed world while he was developing 'Firefly'. He tried to make it as potentially realistic as possible, even insisting on a lack of sound in the vacuum of space (something only Kubrick had previously cared about). His attention to every detail was remarkable.

One of his assumptions was that China would continue to advance as a world power and by dint of their economic ascendence and sheer numbers, Mandarin would eventually become the world's dominant language along with English. So any future language humans would speak as they moved out into the galaxy would be a mix/mishmash of the two.
aaronwt and Davidt1 like this.
post #521 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I don't know where it's been hiding but I'm sure Grandfathered and The Grinder would like to know. The ratings for the live cast were awful the dvr ratings must have been a whole lot better to get another season. Would rather see them bring back Firefly too but not on Fox.
post #522 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
If they can bring back X-files after a decade buried in dust, then Firefly could actually be possible. As long as it was for a limited mini run. Fox still wouldn't want to pump that much money into making all that spacey stuff.

Plus six-episodes is about how long it would take for them to cancel it again so at least it would get an ending if it was only supposed to be that long.

Actually... wouldn't the cost of the "spacey stuff" make a limited run less likely? All the advantages of a show like Firefly would be that set initial set cost could be amortized over the first few seasons since they wouldn't have to rebuild the ship and recurring scenery every year... but if they only did it for a mini-run, that would make the cost of each episode jump tremendously, wouldn't it?

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #523 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Actually... wouldn't the cost of the "spacey stuff" make a limited run less likely? All the advantages of a show like Firefly would be that set initial set cost could be amortized over the first few seasons since they wouldn't have to rebuild the ship and recurring scenery every year... but if they only did it for a mini-run, that would make the cost of each episode jump tremendously, wouldn't it?
They re-built the Serenity sets for Serenity (the movie). Don't know if they dismantled them completely afterwards or if there are pieces left in some warehouse someplace that they could use to re-create the sets & props relatively inexpensively.
post #524 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Depends how much spacey stuff Fox want to budget.

CGI Serenity would be easy to achieve. Elsewhere the crew could end up constantly in towns inspired by 21st century Vancouver and LA and the only shots of the Serenity on land would be a close up of the ramp and cargo bay.

All I've realised from this recent news is that I'll probably have to catch up and watch the 9 episodes of Sleepy Hollow I've been sitting on before it comes back now, just so I can see how they handle essentially rebooting the show for the fourth(?) time.

post #525 of 534 Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You're doing better than I am... I think I have 15 episodes of Sleepy Hollow on the DVR. I remember liking this show in the beginning... and I found it hard to be inspired to watch it this season... didn't even make it to the Bones crossover episode though I did already watch the Bones part of that.

post #526 of 534 Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
I don't really know why you would bother to watch a bunch of episodes just to slog through a season without Mills. The relationship between Mills and Crane was pretty much the only thing this show ever had going for it, and even then it alternated between boring and painful to watch after season 1.
OggideM likes this.
post #527 of 534 Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I for one am glad that this got renewed. I look forward to seeing the new direction the show will take along with some new blood added to the cast. I liked Abby and the banter between them really made the show. I was also sad to see her sisters boyfriend get killed. I liked the relationship they were building.

But to save the show I understand it needed some "refreshing" especially if Abby wanted out. Look what happened to Castle ....

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #528 of 534 Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I don't really know why you would bother to watch a bunch of episodes just to slog through a season without Mills. The relationship between Mills and Crane was pretty much the only thing this show ever had going for it, and even then it alternated between boring and painful to watch after season 1.
Yeah... although, truth be told... I thought the girl playing Abbie's sister stole the show a lot too... but, at this point... it isn't high on my list to catch up with this show. I'm strongly considering bailing... the only reason not to delete it now is no more new episodes will pile up until the Fall... so IF I get bored and want to watch them, might as well have them... but IF I ever had to delete to make room for anything else, these would be high on the list to let go of.
cc_in_oh likes this.

post #529 of 534 Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah... although, truth be told... I thought the girl playing Abbie's sister stole the show a lot too... but, at this point... it isn't high on my list to catch up with this show. I'm strongly considering bailing... the only reason not to delete it now is no more new episodes will pile up until the Fall... so IF I get bored and want to watch them, might as well have them... but IF I ever had to delete to make room for anything else, these would be high on the list to let go of.
I'll give it another chance in the fall - none of the new shows sound very promising and at least SH has likeable characters if nothing else. I only made it through the whole season with 2 of this year's new shows, and both of those got canceled, so plenty of room on the schedule. In fact unless something good comes along, it looks like I'm down to SH and Gotham on Fox, only Blacklist on NBC, and absolutely nothing on ABC - that's a sad state of affairs...

CC

post #530 of 534 Old 07-23-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Liked: 8488
Crane's new partner.

Quote:
Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) has a new partner. True Blood alumna Janina Gavankar
is set for a recurring role in Fox’s drama series Sleepy Hollow as Diana, a new
character who will be introduced in Season 4.

The new character helps fill the void left by the controversial departure of female lead
Nicole Beharie who played Detective Abbie Mills and was killed off in a shocking twist
at the end of Season 3.
http://deadline.com/2016/07/sleepy-h...er-1201791280/
aaronwt and videobruce like this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #531 of 534 Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I had to make some room on the DVR a while back.... so these went. I just couldn't make myself want to watch them. I tried watching the Bones crossover one at least, since I did watch the Bones episode... but even that didn't keep me interested. A shame, because I liked the main characters on the show... though I know "Abbie" is no longer going to be there... neither am I.

post #532 of 534 Old 07-24-2016, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Where was their "generosity" when they canceled Fringe?? This will never be 'Once Upon a Time'.

The series surely needed something, hopefully less 'monster of the week' wonders.
Well, at least it looks like when Crane and her have a conversation he won't be towering over her as much as he did with Abby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	janina-gavankar-2015.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1562521   Click image for larger version

Name:	janina-gavankar-house.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1562537  

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.

Last edited by videobruce; 07-24-2016 at 04:35 AM.
post #533 of 534 Old 07-24-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Where was their "generosity" when they canceled Fringe?? This will never be 'Once Upon a Time'.

That's a good thing.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #534 of 534 Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The series surely needed something, hopefully less 'monster of the week' wonders.
It would be an improvement on multiple levels if it was just less "man-in-a-rubbber-suit" of the week. Monsters don't need to be just unconvincing Guillermo del Toro leftovers who just floated into town or escaped from a cellar every single week.

And Fringe is the worst example you could think of as a demonstration of Fox generosity. They kept that show on the air against all odds and pitiful numbers. Or should I say Kevin Reilly kept that show on the air. Fringe should have been cancelled long before and was given a very long leash to a solid conclusion. Fox have never been as kind since.
acebreathe likes this.

Last edited by VisionOn; 07-24-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page