Sleepy Hollow on Fox - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 148Likes

post #541 of 615 Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
So did I, I like that they got a whole new cast save Jenny and Crane and I always liked Jenny better than Abby anyway. Different setting and different cast, I'll stick around to see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 615 Old 01-07-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
... I always liked Jenny better than Abby anyway. ...
Haven't watched it yet, but I'm torn between those two. It would be a good problem to have.

v/r,
C-F
Stereodude and Keenan like this.
post #543 of 615 Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Damn these positive comments. Guess I'll fire up the On Demand to find out if I concur. I thought there was no way it would turn around. Fingers crossed.

post #544 of 615 Old 01-07-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The impossible happened. It's a good show again and fun to watch. Shazam!
aaronwt likes this.
post #545 of 615 Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6407 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Yes. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #546 of 615 Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
Liked it - hooked all over again.
aaronwt likes this.

post #547 of 615 Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I liked it, very much! You can already see the good chemistry among the gang. Jeremy Davies is good as the antagonist and we already know who the new "witness" is, right?

So, looking forward to the season. I hope they can keep it up!!
post #548 of 615 Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
You fools! They have you again. Trapped in their mystical web of misdirection and optimistic promises!

Like walking into a dark catacomb waiting for yet another man in a rubber monster suit to jump out, you should all be approaching this expecting the next episode to jump out of a dark corner and crush your expectations once again.

Pay heed to the warning signs and wards weary travelers. Do not be lured into a trap! The road ahead should be approached with caution. Bad writing can hide in a dark shadow of every episode and a lame bad guy arc with a nonsensical plan is only one creaky cloven hoof away.
Garrett Adams, mnetop and Keenan like this.

post #549 of 615 Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I enjoyed last night's second episode but the writer needs to do better fact checking. The dialog in one scene said that both Major Andre and Benedict Arnold paid the ultimate price. Andre was hung and Arnold went on to fight some battles on the English side prior to the surrender at Yorktown. Benedict Arnold then went to live in England and received a commission as a brigadier general in the British Army. In my mind he fared considerably better than Major Andre.
post #550 of 615 Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The X-Files: Sleepy Hollow Edition

David Forbes

My theater
post #551 of 615 Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I enjoyed last night's second episode but the writer needs to do better fact checking. The dialog in one scene said that both Major Andre and Benedict Arnold paid the ultimate price. Andre was hung and Arnold went on to fight some battles on the English side prior to the surrender at Yorktown. Benedict Arnold then went to live in England and received a commission as a brigadier general in the British Army. In my mind he fared considerably better than Major Andre.
You do know it's a TV show right? Facts aren't usually correct in TV shows. It unusual for them to be correct. But TV shows also don't follow real world rules either. They bend/break the rules and facts of the real world to match what is going on in the TV show. So I don't expect them to follow the facts of the real world either. This has always been the case with TV shows and movies.

post #552 of 615 Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked: 1763
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You do know it's a TV show right? Facts aren't usually correct in TV shows. It unusual for them to be correct. But TV shows also don't follow real world rules either. So I don't expect them to follow the facts of the real world either.
But it's disappointing when they could have but didn't bother. It'd just be a minor dialog change. Of course, Benedict Arnold is a well known name with many associated misunderstandings ('though not as bad as Columbus) and making the distinction would be "complicated".

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #553 of 615 Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You do know it's a TV show right? Facts aren't usually correct in TV shows. It unusual for them to be correct. But TV shows also don't follow real world rules either. They bend/break the rules and facts of the real world to match what is going on in the TV show. So I don't expect them to follow the facts of the real world either. This has always been the case with TV shows and movies.
-1 like every time you use this defense. Cheap cop-out excuse for lazy writing.

If your TV show hook is based on real history, you should get the history correct. It's the least you can do.
Garrett Adams likes this.

post #554 of 615 Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
-1 like every time you use this defense. Cheap cop-out excuse for lazy writing.

If your TV show hook is based on real history, you should get the history correct. It's the least you can do.
No different than when a TV show is based on a real location. Yet names of things are either changed or don't even exist(like with NCIS and countless others). I see no difference between the two. And as I mentioned, this has always been the case with movies or TV shows.

Now if it were a documentary, I would expect historical accuracy. But a way out fictional TV show? Not in a million years would I expect it.

post #555 of 615 Old 01-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
No different than when a TV show is based on a real location. Yet names of things are either changed or don't even exist(like with NCIS and countless others). I see no difference between the two. And as I mentioned, this has always been the case with movies or TV shows.

Writer 1: "You sure this historical reference in the dialog is correct?"
Writer 2: "Hmm, let me check on Google ... ah, no. I'll think of a new line while I'm in the bathroom. I'll be back in five minutes."
Writer 1: "Great. While you are doing that I'll check with location to see if we have a place in mind for the fictitious organization we came up with that we need shooting permission for, and finding another location for the real-world department that we couldn't get permission to shoot at because it involved contacting city officials, disrupting business and rerouting traffic."

aaronwt likes this.

post #556 of 615 Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
The X-Files: Sleepy Hollow Edition
More like The X-Files: Sleepy Hollow Edition*

*In Washington D.C.

Not that I'm complaining.
post #557 of 615 Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM

Watching this now I get the feeling that before the season started the scene in the writing room went something like this:

Writer 1: So ... how do we reboot this now?
Writer 2: Ummm
Writer 1: I heard Bones is ending next year.
Writer 2: Yeah. Hey, remember the Bones crossover we did?
Writer 1: Ha, that was a dumb stunt! It was funny how the characters were kind of similar though.
Writer 2: Hey, wait a second ...

So now we basically have supernatural Bones.

Crane is Bones. New gal Diana is Booth - complete with kid. Jenny is Camille. They have a "lab-rary". A team of squints - gadget girl is Angela, book lore nerd is Hodgins. The show moved to Washington ...

That said Washington is a more interesting backdrop now for National Treasure hunting and the stories seem less based on rubber monsters. So far. Another uninteresting villain though and the amount of exposition the show is being forced to do due to the reboot is wasting time the show just does not have. Ratings are pitiful even compared to last year.

Should have rebooted to Washington before last season.

post #558 of 615 Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Don't forget the Headless Horseman reboot -- now his money-saving technique is morphing into a police officer. I suppose it's better than giving him a head, though. Whoever came up with that idea should be blacklisted from TV writing permanently. "Let's give the Headless Horseman a head!" was probably the single dumbest decision this show ever made, and it led to Katrina's rapid decline and the destruction of the show's original incarnation.
acebreathe likes this.
post #559 of 615 Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM

I thought I had missed something regarding the magic heads but didn't care enough to rewatch the earlier scenes.

So why does Headless have a sudden urge for the head of POTUS? When and how did he gain this head transplant power?

Last thing I remember was HH fighting Pandora, losing his head (again) and then leaving. He didn't seem to have much of an axe to grind with Crane back then. Heh.

post #560 of 615 Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I thought I had missed something regarding the magic heads but didn't care enough to rewatch the earlier scenes.

So why does Headless have a sudden urge for the head of POTUS? When and how did he gain this head transplant power?

Last thing I remember was HH fighting Pandora, losing his head (again) and then leaving. He didn't seem to have much of an axe to grind with Crane back then. Heh.
They explained it in the last episode. Keeping the heads of states as trophies gives the collector special powers/abilities. The horseman is looking to collect them.

post #561 of 615 Old 01-26-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Don't forget the Headless Horseman reboot -- now his money-saving technique is morphing into a police officer. I suppose it's better than giving him a head, though. Whoever came up with that idea should be blacklisted from TV writing permanently. "Let's give the Headless Horseman a head!" was probably the single dumbest decision this show ever made, and it led to Katrina's rapid decline and the destruction of the show's original incarnation.
I just assumed they were watching too many Futurama reruns...
aaronwt likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #562 of 615 Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They explained it in the last episode. Keeping the heads of states as trophies gives the collector special powers/abilities. The horseman is looking to collect them.
Yeah, but why now? HH spent the first season just looking for his own head and last season did the same.

Where did the sudden realization that he could take the head of POTUS and become superpowered come from?

post #563 of 615 Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where did the sudden realization that he could take the head of POTUS and become superpowered come from?
The idea just popped into his... oh... wait...
aaronwt, Stereodude and VisionOn like this.
post #564 of 615 Old 01-27-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but why now? HH spent the first season just looking for his own head and last season did the same.

It wasn't sudden. He was going after Crane's last time and his own. Tried for a while and eventually go banished. Now that they brought him back he is back to collecting heads. Its not POTUS only, they said other heads too. When he saw Crane he went for his head again. He has a head obsession.

post #565 of 615 Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
It wasn't sudden. He was going after Crane's last time and his own. Tried for a while and eventually go banished. Now that they brought him back he is back to collecting heads. Its not POTUS only, they said other heads too. When he saw Crane he went for his head again. He has a head obsession.
He wasn't in the business of collecting heads for superpowers last time otherwise he would gave been doing it for three seasons and made things much easier for himself given the amount of heads he was leaving around for the cops. He was chasing Crane because Crane stole his head and wanted to kill him because it was personal. No superpowers motive.

So between the last season finale and now he somehow realized he could shapeshift by plopping any old head on his body.

post #566 of 615 Old 01-31-2017, 07:32 PM

The show wasted a reappearance by John Noble on a lame trial episode. At least the episode didn't become a clip show.

It was another seasonal Ichabod-lite episode in which Tom Mison got most of the week off. It's been happening regularly in the past few seasons. Can the show not afford their lead actor?

post #567 of 615 Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At least the episode didn't become a clip show.
I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't do one, or at least were dead set against it, because they don't want to put footage of Beharie on screen. Wasn't it in season 1 or season 2 that they didn't even ask her if she wanted to participate in the DVD commentary? That's pretty low.
post #568 of 615 Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't do one, or at least were dead set against it, because they don't want to put footage of Beharie on screen. Wasn't it in season 1 or season 2 that they didn't even ask her if she wanted to participate in the DVD commentary? That's pretty low.
I didn't like that she left the show, but so far this season has been better than SH has been in while. So now I'm glad she left and they made a bunch of changes.

Several of my co-workers also watch the show. After last season they were about ready to dump it. But they are also enjoying the new season with all the changes. And now have no plans to stop watching it.

post #569 of 615 Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

None of the problems were Beharie's fault, though. The banter between Mills and Crane was the best part; the show faultered because of the terrible decisions being made around them.
post #570 of 615 Old 02-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To me, the downward spiral has continued. I've tried to like it, and still watch with my wife because she likes it, but to me it's almost unwatchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page