Sleepy Hollow on Fox - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes
post #571 of 587 Unread 02-01-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
A lot of the fun in the early seasons came from the "fish out of water" premise.

Crane is rarely surprised by anything now and if he is we don't get to see it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 587 Unread 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM

So the bad guy this season is Skinny Steve Wozniak?

I hope this a short arc that ends next week because it isn't doing anything for me. Outside of soccer opening and the Jenny crush scene which felt like old Sleepy Hollow charm, this episode in particular felt very poorly done.

The demon from Supernatural Hell had potential but was vanquished early. The "twist" reveal of the hooded figure was so obvious I don't even know why the show bothered to keep him hooded at all. It was made more dumb by the fact the director thought upon the reveal we need a flashback to his identity that was shown about five minutes earlier. Jenny somehow just appeared in the correct place at exactly the correct time. Despite the fact it was a hidden secure bunker with no visible vents to jump out of of.

And the pieces of the Philosophers Stone were so obviously fake foam props that every time someone picked one up it looked like it was going to blow away.

Worse ratings than last week, so I expect heads will roll off screen soon.

post #573 of 587 Unread 02-06-2017, 08:17 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5325 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
The episode description basically told you that his partner would be the hooded figure.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #574 of 587 Unread 02-06-2017, 08:38 AM

And one of Ansel's spells given to him by a demon was conveniently a "Greek Fire Demolition Trap" because that's the only explanation for how he managed to carry all those bottles and wire down to the server room and then spend who knows how long wiring what looked like a quarter mile long corridor.
Stereodude likes this.

post #575 of 587 Unread 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked: 10978
Uff da! Daniel Faraday as the bad guy is so damn cringe worthy. I darn near fall asleep every time he speaks. I do still like the show. Looks like Crane and the gang will be heading back to Sleepy Hollow.

post #576 of 587 Unread 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM

So, retcon time? The show is really steering into the reboot curve now. We had even more flashback clip moments and the show changed Crane's origin.

I'm not even sure how the stone was even relevant in the past or why it was needed now.

Crane and the Horseman never fell on the stone in the original flashbacks and it was the blood of the Horseman mixing with Crane that made Crane immortal, because the Horseman was made an immortal by Moloch. Headless is supposed to be "Death" after all.

They couldn't kill the Horseman in the past even if they had fought on the stone, which is why they chained him up and buried him at sea. When the Horseman was resurrected Crane did too.

So what was the point of being sent by Washington to be sacrificed on the stone? Crane was already told he was supposed to try and kill the baddest dude the British had so the task possibly being suicide shouldn't have been a surprise.

Then Dreyfuss used the Horseman and Crane for some reason. The Horseman is the true immortal so why does Dreyfuss need Crane? Dreyfuss could just mix his own blood or take it from the Horseman. Which leads to the most ridiculous part, why did the Horseman just walk up and kneel down with no hassle at all? Two episodes ago he was all about getting heads but now doesn't care even when Crane is involved and sat next to him.

Dreyfuss and his cool assistant could be a good partnership if the overall story wasn't so poorly executed. And if Jobe didn't keep being so easily defeated. At least they remembered to use the lantern again.

post #577 of 587 Unread 02-14-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
why did the Horseman just walk up and kneel down with no hassle at all?
I was wondering the same thing. Did they alter Crane's death scene from season 1? I don't have a screenshot to check, but I'm guessing they added the stone to the flashback?

Quote:
And if Jobe didn't keep being so easily defeated.
This part also made no sense to me. If he's a demon, why would he be helping Dreyfuss to squirm out of his contract? His true loyalties should lie with his fellow minions in hell. He's just playing bodyguard to ensure that his side fulfills the contract with Dreyfuss, so they can claim his soul after he's lived a successful life.
post #578 of 587 Unread 02-15-2017, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
So, retcon time? The show is really steering into the reboot curve now. We had even more flashback clip moments and the show changed Crane's origin.

I'm not even sure how the stone was even relevant in the past or why it was needed now.

Crane and the Horseman never fell on the stone in the original flashbacks and it was the blood of the Horseman mixing with Crane that made Crane immortal, because the Horseman was made an immortal by Moloch. Headless is supposed to be "Death" after all.

They couldn't kill the Horseman in the past even if they had fought on the stone, which is why they chained him up and buried him at sea. When the Horseman was resurrected Crane did too.

So what was the point of being sent by Washington to be sacrificed on the stone? Crane was already told he was supposed to try and kill the baddest dude the British had so the task possibly being suicide shouldn't have been a surprise.

Then Dreyfuss used the Horseman and Crane for some reason. The Horseman is the true immortal so why does Dreyfuss need Crane? Dreyfuss could just mix his own blood or take it from the Horseman. Which leads to the most ridiculous part, why did the Horseman just walk up and kneel down with no hassle at all? Two episodes ago he was all about getting heads but now doesn't care even when Crane is involved and sat next to him.

Dreyfuss and his cool assistant could be a good partnership if the overall story wasn't so poorly executed. And if Jobe didn't keep being so easily defeated. At least they remembered to use the lantern again.
In the original scene seasons ago, Crane and the Horseman DID fall on the stone. They even showed their blood pooling out of their bodies, following the grooves of the stone and mingling on top of the stone. They didn't change anything there.

post #579 of 587 Unread 02-15-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
In the original scene seasons ago, Crane and the Horseman DID fall on the stone. They even showed their blood pooling out of their bodies, following the grooves of the stone and mingling on top of the stone. They didn't change anything there.
Originally they fell on random dirt with some rocks underneath and their blood just mixed on the terrain. This episode reshot the scene and inserted the Philosopher Stone into the frame. I went back and checked in the pilot and a couple of other episodes.

This episode even changed the Washington meeting. Originally Crane appeared to have been given his mission at night and in a cabin. Here it was daylight and in a tent. I don't know why they changed that. It couldn't have been that difficult to find a dark room to recreate the meeting.

Last edited by VisionOn; 02-15-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #580 of 587 Unread 02-15-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally they fell on random dirt with some rocks underneath and their blood just mixed on the terrain. This episode reshot the scene and inserted the Philosopher Stone into the frame. I went back and checked in the pilot and a couple of other episodes.

This episode even changed the Washington meeting. Originally Crane appeared to have been given his mission at night and in a cabin. Here it was daylight and in a tent. I don't know why they changed that. It couldn't have been that difficult to find a dark room to recreate the meeting.
I never once thought of it as random dirt and some rocks, to me it always looked like it was some kind of design, particularly when they have shown the blood flowing through the grooves, tracing out the symbol.

post #581 of 587 Unread 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5325 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Did they alter Crane's death scene from season 1? I don't have a screenshot to check, but I'm guessing they added the stone to the flashback?

This part also made no sense to me. If he's a demon, why would he be helping Dreyfuss to squirm out of his contract? His true loyalties should lie with his fellow minions in hell. He's just playing bodyguard to ensure that his side fulfills the contract with Dreyfuss, so they can claim his soul after he's lived a successful life.
I thought they mentioned that in the contract the Demon had to help him in any way he wanted?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #582 of 587 Unread 02-15-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Great MacGyver spoof where she figures out she can whip up a Faraday cage - all she needs is copper wire, a 4.5v battery and the motherboard from a TRS80...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #583 of 587 Unread 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Despite appearances that must have been an expensive hairy monster suit because the show couldn't afford to feature the squints last week.

post #584 of 587 Unread Today, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 2036
In my quest to clear off some stacked DVR material, I watched the first 2 episodes / new season .. although it seemed a little "Grimm" like, still, not bad .. I'll go back to it again tonight .. I've not heard, but I'd guess it's a slim chance of renewal ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #585 of 587 Unread Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
I'm enjoying the makeup of this cast much more than the previous iteration, for some reason I just never really liked the character Nicole Beharie played. I don't know whether it was the actor or how the character was written but she never clicked with me. Additionally, this new direction makes more use of Lyndie Greenwood whom I have always enjoyed watching. The show is borderline for me and if it didn't come back I wouldn't miss it, but if it did I'd still watch it.

And Jeremy Davies is always fun to watch, at least until he's vanquished of course!
aaronwt likes this.
post #586 of 587 Unread Today, 11:41 AM

I clicked this thread expecting the cancellation news.

I'm still watching, but barely. I don't remember what happened last week (I might not have actually watched it yet) but I thought the episode with the viral video setting people on fire was so terrible I almost just dumped the whole show. Not only was it a poorly written bag of hokey internet cliches but almost every scene felt like it had been taken from some other TV genre show. Even the design of the djinn was so familiar I thought it was an old bad guy who actually appeared on Sleepy Hollow previously.

post #587 of 587 Unread Today, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
I just went ahead and got a season 1 BD for myself, because while I'm still watching, I know I won't want to watch seasons 2+ again in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming