Sleepy Hollow on Fox - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 220 Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm surprised people aren't more upbeat on this show. I think it's quite good. I like the fact that they're willing to move the show forward from week to week in meaningful ways (for instance, with the introduction of the sister), and not 'reset' the show every time so each week is just an excuse for the next MotW.

Good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

And we still haven't even seen Walter Bishop John Noble yet.
i heard his voice in this week's episode...
post #93 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I'm surprised people aren't more upbeat on this show. I think it's quite good. I like the fact that they're willing to move the show forward from week to week in meaningful ways (for instance, with the introduction of the sister), and not 'reset' the show every time so each week is just an excuse for the next MotW.

Definitely the most interesting episode since the pilot, precisely because of that. I think Orci and Kurtzman are bringing some Fringeness to the show early by making it more intricate and starting to not care about the audience reaction. The demon well thing reminded me of Buffy. It was kind of cheesy, but I applaud their in-your-face attitude.

This week was basically a mix of National Treasure and Buffy, but the historical revisionist tidbits from Crane mixed with some Buffy/Faith twin action resulted in some pretty snappy dialog. The show needs to keep the three of them on screen more. The opening was funny too. You could see the punchline coming but it was a nice self-parody moment.

I was quite surprised by this week after the general blah of the past few, but I really hope the show isn't going to announce at some point that the sisters are the Two Wintesses as if it's a surprise. It's such an obvious alternative interpretation that I would rather they stick to the original plan and I really don't need the police chief to be a "secret" Freemason. Just make him a normal cop without any secrets or background in protecting artifacts or from a generation of demon hunters.

Next week they find a kid out of time. If that doesn't devolve into a MOTW excuse this show has the potential to do some interesting things. From the previews the show might address Ichabod's appearance as well.

If this season wasn't so short I would really like to see a comedy episode in which he goes shopping or experiences some other modern day marvels. Still crossing my fingers for the lieutenant and Crane to get sent back in time. For the first time I think the show might be crazy enough to try it.

post #94 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I've enjoyed it so far, and it's unique enough that when compared with this season's incredibly weak offerings I would think it shouldn't have any problem getting a renewal.

I don't know what the ratings are but it's easy to imagine that a lot of potential viewers never even bothered giving it a look based solely on the title, their loss, and hopefully it won't be ours due to their lack of viewership. I was going to pass it by as well, but I took the leap and I'm very glad I did.
post #95 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Already was renewed.

post #96 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Already was renewed.
You know, I thought that was the case but was too busy/lazy to look back further in the thread! biggrin.gif
post #97 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Given the short order for season one I don't think NBC are taking any big risks. With only nine episodes left they could still use the next season as summer filler if the ratings tank between now and the finale.

post #98 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Don't you mean Fox? redface.gif
post #99 of 220 Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Don't you mean Fox? redface.gif

Yeah that's the one! As I said in another thread it feels like for me this season every network is trying to be another. Sleepy hollow's Grimm-ness makes me think of NBC.

post #100 of 220 Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

And we still haven't even seen Walter Bishop John Noble yet.
i heard his voice in this week's episode...

I missed that, or it happened in a way I wasn't expecting. When did that happen?
post #101 of 220 Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
VisionOn touched on something that's been itching at me about this show: Crane keeps wearing the same outfit from episode 1. Why don't they take him shopping for some updated threads?
post #102 of 220 Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

VisionOn touched on something that's been itching at me about this show: Crane keeps wearing the same outfit from episode 1. Why don't they take him shopping for some updated threads?

Because then he wouldn't look like Icabod Crane, a man more than two centuries out of his time. That's the conceit of the show. Fine with me. He rocks the style, and I kinda' dig it.

Hopefully for the benefit of his plucky partner Abby, he's already discovered another wonder of the modern age: dry cleaners.
post #103 of 220 Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
And if the show is a hit, you will probably see the Icabod Crane line in your favorite department store this winter.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #104 of 220 Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

If the show was taking place in broadcast time it would bother me more, but they keep casually mentioning that the events have taken place over two weeks. Given the body count and threat level the clothes shopping I can understand taking a back seat.

We'll see how much of his appearance they address this week.

post #105 of 220 Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
PMA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just caught up to the last episode. The opening sequence with Ichabod talking with the On Star representative was just hilarious. I'm liking the pace of the show in developing its mythology.
post #106 of 220 Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't have a problem with the uniform... He has been showering, presumably he gets his clothes cleaned too... and police wear uniforms... he is wearing his uniform. If they move him out of that, the show loses a little of its out-of-place charm possibly.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #107 of 220 Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yeah, the On-Star thing was cute last week.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #108 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't have a problem with the uniform... He has been showering, presumably he gets his clothes cleaned too... and police wear uniforms... he is wearing his uniform. If they move him out of that, the show loses a little of its out-of-place charm possibly.

In his time, it was standard to wear the same clothes day after day and just change under garments.
post #109 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They did address his clothes this week so they are making progress. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the last scenes this season is Crane stepping out in his new modern day monster hunter garb.

It was funny they started talking about John Doe this week, because quite a few times this episode when Crane was showing off his tracking and language expertise it reminded me of the Fox show John Doe. This week also reminded me of Supernatural again and the plague of Roanoke episode. Thankfully the town out of time moment did give the show a different spin even if the twist didn't really make much sense.

Like Fringe and their parallel world, the time period aspect of Sleepy Hollow is the major original idea the show has to work with. Using that as they did in this episode is probably the best direction to go in. Otherwise it will be derivative storylines that we've already seen on many other TV shows. Looking at the preview for the next week's it appears they might start leveraging that more but it will probably only be in flashbacks. I'd love to see a street battle with an army of redcoats in modern day or a major period villain in the style of Holtz from Angel that isn't a horseman. A SWAT team being sent back in time to fight in various period battles would be fun too. Crane needs a foil who he can not only relate to but also talk to. A dude with no head doesn't provide many opportunities for some dramatic face to face dialog and while Death is memorable visually I don't think he is going to enter the pantheon of great TV villains.

One other small moment which seems to foreshadow future events was the phone call affirming Crane's tenure at Oxford. That was intriguing but it does point a lot of fingers at the captain being member of Masonic guardians through the ages or some other secret faction. It might work but again it would be the least original direction to go in. Maybe they are intentionally throwing out red herrings and man of mystery camera angles.

post #110 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No new episode for 3 weeks?
Looks like a repeat of the pilot episode next Monday.
But John Noble finally appears in 3 weeks.
post #111 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Seems strange that a show with such a creepy/sinister premise would forego a new episode the week of Halloween. No new episode until November 4. Bummer.
post #112 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Seems strange that a show with such a creepy/sinister premise would forego a new episode the week of Halloween. No new episode until November 4. Bummer.

Cause there is probably a world series game 10/28 thats why no ep.

You should know that. tongue.gif

post #113 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I'm a Mariners fan. I know nothing of this magical "post-season" of which you speak smile.gif
post #114 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

They're playing a Poker Tournament that day?
post #115 of 220 Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Understanding the FOX MLB contracts for the World Series... but I agree it is a shame to have a show like Sleepy Hollow and not have an episode on or around actual Halloween!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #116 of 220 Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You couldve not watched this weeks show, save it on the dvr, then watch 10/28.

I do that with the simpsons treehouse of horror eps that air early october (again due to playoffs) thats too early for me so i save it then watch it halloween week.

post #117 of 220 Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well I mostly liked this weeks episode, but I slapped my forehead when I found out the boy who spoke Middle English is from around 1590. It had been phased out for "Early Modern English" (the language of Shakespeare, who had already started writing by 1590) around a century before that .
post #118 of 220 Old 10-16-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Well I mostly liked this weeks episode, but I slapped my forehead when I found out the boy who spoke Middle English is from around 1590. It had been phased out for "Early Modern English" (the language of Shakespeare, who had already started writing by 1590) around a century before that .

Well sure. I mean, who doesn't know that?

I love AVS. tongue.gif
post #119 of 220 Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

I hadn't even thought about that. I just looked at Wikipedia and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are from the late 1300's. In the show they explicitly mentioned the language was associated with works like that. So yeah, if the kid was from 1590, that's 1-2 hundred years too late. Wikipedia says "Middle English describes dialects of English in the history of the English language between the High and Late Middle Ages, or roughly during the three centuries between the late 12th and the late 15th century." 1590 is the late 16th century. Oops.

Nonetheless I still enjoyed the episode. But that does seem unusually sloppy for a show that's trying to establish its own history. It wouldn't have been too hard to just say "early modern English" instead, would it?
post #120 of 220 Old 10-16-2013, 03:30 PM

One aside: did anyone actually listen to the words they said when speaking Middle English? Some of it was quite recognizable (making the subtitles unnecessary), but some of it I would have been confused had they not labeled it. I thought that was well done (even if it was the wrong language as pointed out).

It made me think of Brad Pitt's character in Snatch: even the subtitles couldn't figure out what he was saying:

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page