Super bowl monday? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If the super bowl gets snowed out until monday that could be a problem. Power outages and tons of snow in the northeast could mean ratings declines. Have the nfl reschedule the game the week after the big game which could be trouble. Grammys, olympics, heck they could pit it against the oscars lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I hope it works out, because there are several "cold-weather" cities like Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh and Foxborough/Boston that deserve to host Super Bowls. I don't think the NFL will do another cold-weather Super Bowl if this one doesn't work out.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
It's the SB. They'll get boffo ratings no matter what.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

It's the SB. They'll get boffo ratings no matter what.

Last year's power outage proved that.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Everyone seems to be thinking the worst because this is going to be the first outdoor SB in a cold weather city. Everyone's talking about possible blizzards and single digit temperatures. Now power outages? Looking over the past ten years of weather data for E. Rutherford, NJ on February 2nd, the average temperature was 44.5 degrees, with 3 days of 50+, as recently as 2012. There was precipitation on 2 of those ten days. If recent history is any indicator, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

Everyone seems to be thinking the worst because this is going to be the first outdoor SB in a cold weather city. Everyone's talking about possible blizzards and single digit temperatures...
The game is on Feb 2nd, Feb is historically the worst month for snow in the tri-state area.
I live on LI- just 20mi east of the Meadowlands- here's what my backyard looked like on Feb 8th 2013 at 10pm and the next morning Feb 9th ... we got over 36 inches in less than 8hrs.
It pretty much paralyzed the tri-state area for three to four days... so there could be trouble!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

The game is on Feb 2nd, Feb is historically the worst month for snow in the tri-state area.
I live on LI- just 20mi east of the Meadowlands- here's what my backyard looked like on Feb 8th 2013 at 10pm and the next morning Feb 9th ... we got over 36 inches in less than 8hrs.
It pretty much paralyzed the tri-state area for three to four days... so there could be trouble!

The data for the past decade indicates everything so go just fine. Even if it doesn't, so what? It's the same for both teams. They play Championship games in the worst possible weather, they can have one Super Bowl with potentially bad weather. But, if I were to bet on it, I'd bet that everything will be fine and most people are getting worked up over nothing.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
The 2007 Super Bowl in Miami was played in torrential rain. It definitely affected what went happened on the playing field....

Bobby 

Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

If the super bowl gets snowed out until monday that could be a problem. Power outages and tons of snow in the northeast could mean ratings declines. Have the nfl reschedule the game the week after the big game which could be trouble. Grammys, olympics, heck they could pit it against the oscars lol.

A Monday game would be great, no one would go to work. It would be like a National holiday.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Was that Snowpocolypse? BTW, nice deck. I wish my pavers looked that good.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

Was that Snowpocolypse?
Yup- that was the one!
Even 4 days later they still hadn't plowed the street behind us- the kids missed a full week of school.
They finally sent pay-loaders to our area a 2am a few days after the storm to help widen the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

BTW, nice deck. I wish my pavers looked that good.
Thanks!
The contractor did it off-book on weekends and evenings- took him a full month to complete!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The data for the past decade indicates everything so go just fine. Even if it doesn't, so what? It's the same for both teams. They play Championship games in the worst possible weather, they can have one Super Bowl with potentially bad weather. But, if I were to bet on it, I'd bet that everything will be fine and most people are getting worked up over nothing.
You're probably right- but it could happen....

Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Meanwhile they delayed tonight's BAL/DEN game because of rain?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Meanwhile they delayed tonight's BAL/DEN game because of rain?

Lightning.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I was having the same thoughts... 45 minute delay for lightning. While I am in favor of exercising caution for safety... They didn't used to do this sort of thing, lightning delay, until recent memory.... and, to me, it kind of shoots in the foot the notion of snow ruining a game.

I mean, firstly... we have snow games in the regular season... and now we have lightning delays and power outages in non-wintery weather... so I'm not seeing what the huge worry is over a winter-located Super Bowl.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The only problem with the Super Bowl is that it is played on a neutral field. Wish they would play it on the home field with the team that has the best record and reward all those season ticket holders.... I know it will never happen!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

The only problem with the Super Bowl is that it is played on a neutral field. Wish they would play it on the home field with the team that has the best record and reward all those season ticket holders.... I know it will never happen!

That's just not logistically possible. Heck, they couldn't even secure last year's Super Bowl champs a home opener with 7 months notice.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Giants have a legit shot at becoming the first team to do it, this season. The Jets? Uh...no.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The Giants have a legit shot at becoming the first team to do it, this season. The Jets? Uh...no.

Care to revise this statement after this past weekend?

Norm
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Quote:

That's just not logistically possible. Heck, they couldn't even secure last year's Super Bowl champs a home opener with 7 months notice.

If they got rid of all the spectacle they could do it. I see it as win win there. No more 40 minute half time is a good thing.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I don't follow football and only tune in the game for the half-time entertainment. But, not this time around. Bruno Mars is the performer. Sorry, but I won't be watching.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I don't follow football and only tune in the game for the half-time entertainment. But, not this time around. Bruno Mars is the performer. Sorry, but I won't be watching.

Really? Bruno Mars is pretty good. Reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.

It could be worse, they could have picked Miley Cyrus.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Don't forget Erin Andrews will be the sideline reporter for her first super bowl....and her hockey boyfriend Jared Stoll will be there while his team is playing hockey that sunday....
Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormP View Post

Care to revise this statement after this past weekend?

The Jets will not get to play Tampa every week! wink.gif

Conversely...

The Giants screwed up about as badly as you can screw up and still had a chance to win that game last night... whereas Dallas had just about every possible gift given to them and only barely won, at home...

The Giants may not fare well next week at Denver... but I still bet they have a WAY better season than the Jets will.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The Jets will not get to play Tampa every week! wink.gif

Conversely...

The Giants screwed up about as badly as you can screw up and still had a chance to win that game last night... whereas Dallas had just about every possible gift given to them and only barely won, at home...

The Giants may not fare well next week at Denver... but I still bet they have a WAY better season than the Jets will.

LOL at a Giants fan talking about gifts. Go look at your last two Super Bowl runs they are chock full of gifts. The Cowboys forced many of those turnovers and The Giants got a gift interception and got 3 points out of it.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Football is meant to be played in the snow. Rest assured, the NFL has this planned out for a contingency, along with New Jersey.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Really? Bruno Mars is pretty good. Reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.

His music is fine. I just don't consider him Superbowl halftime material. YMMV
Quote:
It could be worse, they could have picked Miley Cyrus.

That I would see, just to see what she would try and get away with. Have you seen here new video for Wrecking Ball? What she did in the that video would have the goodie-two-shoes people up in arms. I'm sure their kids have already viewed it lots of times on YouTube. biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

That I would see, just to see what she would try and get away with. Have you seen here new video for Wrecking Ball? What she did in the that video would have the goodie-two-shoes people up in arms. I'm sure their kids have already viewed it lots of times on YouTube. biggrin.gif

I have not, as I tend to stay away from train wrecks. Which, if that's the title of her new single, seems apropos.

As an American who reads English, I was unable to avoid the controversy from the VMAs (despite not actually watching the VMAs).

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

LOL at a Giants fan talking about gifts. Go look at your last two Super Bowl runs they are chock full of gifts. The Cowboys forced many of those turnovers and The Giants got a gift interception and got 3 points out of it.

Whoa there... you are making assumptions that are unfounded.

I'm not a Giants fan. I'm just an honest realist who watched the games.

Eli started the game throwing a pick directly to a Dallas defender... He threw another interception later... and that last interception he shouldn't have thrown because he should have been able to see his teammate clearly was looking the wrong way! Dallas earned those other turnovers... the one on the punt, though, was something of a fluke that was just fortunate happenstance in many ways... but Dallas earned those fumbles they ripped from the ball carrier.

Bottom line... if you're honest and watched that game... The Giants made every mistake imaginable and barely lost... Dallas did almost everything good possible and only barely won. Flipping to the other game for comparison... The Jets won due to Tampa having a stupid player commit a stupid penalty... the Jets don't get to play Tampa again... and Tampa isn't looking like they will be beating anyone playing like that.

So the logical conclusion is the Giants will fare far better than the Jets... you don't have to be a fan to conclude that.

Also, the two recent Super Bowl seasons for the Giants... were 10-6 and 9-7... so they don't have to be spectacular to make the playoffs and then if they get a little luck and a little good, who knows.

The Giants are NOT anywhere close to my pick to win... but they are infinitely closer than the Jets... which is the only point I was making.