The Blacklist on NBC - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 559 Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I checked the episode list....no 'undertaker' in any prior show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 559 Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Well then, it's about time. Every blacklister should have his own, ominous "super-villain" name!
post #453 of 559 Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
So, I'm guessing "Berlin" has meaning other than the city itself, an operation or program of some sort.
post #454 of 559 Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

I was thinking the same thing as soon as Red mentioned the name. Could almost swear there was an "undertaker" in a previous episode.

I just looked back at the episode list. There was "The Freelancer (No. 145)", "The Stewmaker (No. 161)", "The Alchemist (No. 101)" and "The Judge (No. 57)", all of whom I could have been mixing it up with.
mike1812 likes this.
post #455 of 559 Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
So they can get a DNA sample from a fingerprint to ID the "brother" but no one thinks to test Tom's DNA. I think Liz has plenty of opportunities to get a sample of Tom's DNA.
post #456 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

So they can get a DNA sample from a fingerprint to ID the "brother" but no one thinks to test Tom's DNA. I think Liz has plenty of opportunities to get a sample of Tom's DNA.

Presumably this was already done when he was in FBI custody before. However, if there is a mole OR if there is a government conspiracy behind Tom, then it is likely there really was no background check and someone covered him while he was in custody.

Red used his own source to ID the "brother"... they could probably do the same with Tom, but I assume they are thinking it isn't necessary because they think it was already done by the FBI.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #457 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I saw this "undertaker" thing in some other show but can't remember what it was.
post #458 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I saw this "undertaker" thing in some other show but can't remember what it was.

Bones?
post #459 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wonder if our gal Lizzie is regretting renewing her vows with bad boy Tom? Looks like he is ready to consummate their renewal......
post #460 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Wonder if our gal Lizzie is regretting renewing her vows with bad boy Tom? Looks like he is ready to consummate their renewal......

He only asked her to review their vows to test her.
post #461 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So, I'm guessing "Berlin" has meaning other than the city itself, an operation or program of some sort.

Whatever Berlin is, the mention of it was enough to cause the "brother" to commit suicide by window leap, after he had given up other information because he thought Red might hurt his mother. Lots of suicides in this ep.

Liz does look better with the new hairstyle. She's almost hot now.
post #462 of 559 Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Quote:

Presumably this was already done when he was in FBI custody before. However, if there is a mole OR if there is a government conspiracy behind Tom, then it is likely there really was no background check and someone covered him while he was in custody.

Red used his own source to ID the "brother"... they could probably do the same with Tom, but I assume they are thinking it isn't necessary because they think it was already done by the FBI.

That's a lot of unfounded assumptions. You give the writers too much credit. None of your assumptions were even hinted at within the show. I think that they just didn't think it through.
post #463 of 559 Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a lot of unfounded assumptions. You give the writers too much credit. None of your assumptions were even hinted at within the show. I think that they just didn't think it through.

It's a fact, though... that the FBI ID'd Tom when they had him in custody, but Red used his own DNA-expert to identify the "brother"... It's also a fact, so far, that the FBI hasn't tried to ID that "brother" nor apparently has Red had a DNA sample from Tom.

Why that hasn't happened... I don't know... but it's a logical conclusion given what they showed us... the FBI thought Tom was fine, and yet he clearly isn't... he isn't even Tom... just like his brother wasn't his brother. The FBI should have found all kinds of nonsense IF they really looked... so either someone in there is covering Tom's tracks OR something is going on... meanwhile the one and only time we are aware of Red having a DNA sample of someone, the "brother", they track his real identity and find his real mother.

The only reason I can think of for Red not also asking for a sample of Tom's DNA to try... is if they assume that already was done by the FBI and his backstory is better than the "brother"'s was.

Assumptions on assumptions to be sure... but that's the way I'm reading it so far.

post #464 of 559 Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
post #465 of 559 Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM

Liked: 20
I saw the episode that Red was offering sympathy to the Federal agent (Ressler?)
Paraphrased Red said " You will wake up every morning and the loss will be the first thing on your mind. Every day.....until the day when it is the second."
That is exactly how it was (for me). Great reading of the line by Spader.
post #466 of 559 Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Quote:

There's your DNA sample😉
post #467 of 559 Old 04-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

There's your DNA sample😉

If Lizzie did let Tom get in her pants again would her acquiescence, given in order to get his DNA, be akin to taking one for the team. smile.gif
post #468 of 559 Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

If Lizzie did let Tom get in her pants again would her acquiescence, given in order to get his DNA, be akin to taking one for the team. smile.gif

OTOH If she needs a pinch hitter biggrin.gif

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #469 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I binge-watched the last 4 episodes off my DVR this weekend and in my opinion, this show continues to be the stand-out drama of the new season. I haven't seen any other new broadcast network shows this year that come close.
post #470 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I binge-watched the last 4 episodes off my DVR this weekend and in my opinion, this show continues to be the stand-out drama of the new season. I haven't seen any other new broadcast network shows this year that come close.

'Hannibal'. It's better.
gwsat and ambesolman like this.
post #471 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

'Hannibal'. It's better.
And I agree with you.

But Hannibal is into its second season so... vfxproducer for the win! biggrin.gif
post #472 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Curses! Foiled again. I missed the word "new" in his post. redface.gif
post #473 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

'Hannibal'. It's better.

I agree that Hannibal is indeed better than The Blacklist. But because of the way Hannibal portrays creepiness and the depth of its ensemble cast put The Blacklist in the shade. Although James Spader is probably more talented than any single actor on Hannibal, the drop off from him to whoever is second best on the show is precipitous. Also, the atmosphere created by Hannibal consistently makes my flesh crawl but The Blacklist doesn't.
post #474 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any interest in the character of Hannibal. I missed all the fervor of the movies. I like Anthony Hopkins, and other actors from Silence of the Lambs... but honestly never thought as much of that movie as people seem to in general... and I know the character was in some other movies, and not always portrayed by Hopkins either. I just don't have an interest in the character... so it was easy to ignore that series.

post #475 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't have any interest in the character of Hannibal. I missed all the fervor of the movies. I like Anthony Hopkins, and other actors from Silence of the Lambs... but honestly never thought as much of that movie as people seem to in general... and I know the character was in some other movies, and not always portrayed by Hopkins either. I just don't have an interest in the character... so it was easy to ignore that series.

I didn't have much interest in the character either, never having read any of the books or seen any of the movies other than SotL. But that series is something special. Everything about it is first-rate, from the casting to the plotting to the writing to the music to the production design to the incredibly creepy atmosphere. Nothing else like it on TV, really.
post #476 of 559 Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't have much interest in the character either, never having read any of the books or seen any of the movies other than SotL. But that series is something special. Everything about it is first-rate, from the casting to the plotting to the writing to the music to the production design to the incredibly creepy atmosphere. Nothing else like it on TV, really.

These are good points. I love Thomas Harris' stuff and have read all of his books involving Hannibal multiple times. Thus, the TV show, Hannibal, had me at hello.
post #477 of 559 Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I do sometimes miss shows... and find them later and get to binge-enjoy them. I sometimes pick crap to watch smile.gif Other times just have too much good stuff to watch... so some things fall through the cracks.

post #478 of 559 Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

'Hannibal'. It's better.

Nope. Can't stand it. Sorry.
post #479 of 559 Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope. Can't stand it. Sorry.

Understood. Neither Hannibal nor its literary father, Thomas Harris, is for all tastes. Harris' stuff is dark and weird, to say the least, and Hannibal is equally so. For example, Ridley Scott's 2001 film Hannibal, which was the next film to feature Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling after the classic, The Silence of the Lambs was not well regarded by critics. Jodie Foster refused to reprise her Clarice Starling role in Hannibal despite having won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance in The Silence of the Lambs. Hell, I sometimes worry about myself because of how much I enjoy Harris' work and both the movie Hannibal and the creepy TV show based on it.
post #480 of 559 Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Understood. Neither Hannibal nor its literary father, Thomas Harris, is for all tastes. Harris' stuff is dark and weird, to say the least, and Hannibal is equally so. For example, Ridley Scott's 2001 film Hannibal, which was the next film to feature Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling after the classic, The Silence of the Lambs was not well regarded by critics. Jodie Foster refused to reprise her Clarice Starling role in Hannibal despite having won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance in The Silence of the Lambs. Hell, I sometimes worry about myself because of how much I enjoy Harris' work and both the movie Hannibal and the creepy TV show based on it.

Did you actually enjoy the novel Hannibal? I'm pretty sure Foster turned down the role because of her distaste for the book, and frankly, I can't blame her, although I loved the first two in the series, esp. Red Dragon. But I have a high regard for your opinion in literary matters, so if you found something to like in Hannibal I might have to reread it. OT I know, but I'm interested in your opinion of the book.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page