The Blacklist on NBC - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 493Likes

post #1531 of 1593 Old 11-17-2016, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
And who can blame you? If this were the first season of the show, and we read the summary of the show based upon where it is going now, most of us wouldn't even bother to watch one episode.

And that's a good litmus test. Despite various (reasonable) criticism of Supernatural over it's many seasons, if this were the first season and CW described the show based upon what it appears it will be this season, it could attract the same viewers of that first season. I just don't know what the Blacklist creators and writers were thinking. It has morphed too far into something else that would not be interesting to many original fans of the series, and something that is not likely to pick up new viewers.
Having just the first two episodes of this season (just broadcasted last night on local Australia TV7) I can see why all the negative comments have been posted. It was a terrible mismatch of plot lines. I totally agree that if the show doesn't improve then next season I won't be spending any more time watching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1593 Old 01-06-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Well I see from my DVR a new one came on last night. Anyone watch it?
post #1533 of 1593 Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
I figured on starting S4 over the holidays but somehow there always seemed to be something better to do with my time...
CruelInventions likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

post #1534 of 1593 Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5334 Post(s)
Liked: 3206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Yes. I liked the episode.
gwsat likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1535 of 1593 Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 2609
I caught up with the season last month and watched this week's episode earlier today. It was a Villain of the Week piece so it played out with incredible speed. That didn't do much for its plausibility but did make for exciting television. I still like the show.
Garrett Adams likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #1536 of 1593 Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If it wasn't for James Spader (Red) this show would be a dead man walking. It may be anyways.
Tom and baby REALLY need to get off the show.
post #1537 of 1593 Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I figured on starting S4 over the holidays but somehow there always seemed to be something better to do with my time...
Last week's episode came up on the dvr after the show being on hiatus for a while. I've watched all the seasons so far. I started to watch this episode, but then just couldn't bring myself to get beyond the first few minutes of the usual show formula. Not 100% sure but I suppose this might mean I'm done. And I'm one who typically sticks with my shows until the very end. Only exceptions to this that I can recall have been Heroes and Once Upon a Time. Will The Blacklist join them?

Last edited by CruelInventions; 01-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.
post #1538 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5334 Post(s)
Liked: 3206
I'm still enjoying it.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1539 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
... And I'm one who typically sticks with my shows until the very end. Only exceptions to this that I can recall have been Heroes and Once Upon a Time. Will The Blacklist join them?
I was that way too, in fact I think OUAT was also the first one I abandoned. The first one was the hardest, I was soon abandoning shows in droves - AOS, Arrow, Blindspot, Limitless, Librarians, everything on ABC and USA...

CC

post #1540 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I typically stick with a show. I dumped NCIS when Ziva left. Reading that thread I see lots of complains about the quality of that show now.

I'm sticking with Blacklist for now but I generally take my sweet time getting to it and often im multi tasking while its playing on the dvr.
post #1541 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm still enjoying it.
I still enjoy it too, almost entirely because of James Spader's talent. I feel a little sorry for Megan Boone and Ryan Eggold because both are competent actors but are trapped in miserably written roles. This is the way of the world with Big 4 network dramas but I'm still onboard for the foreseeable future because of Spader.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #1542 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3486 Post(s)
Liked: 3452
I checked out at the beginning of this season. I'm about done with 22 episode broadcast network shows anyway. Not enough time to make that commitment unless it's a really great show. I can't think of anything on broadcast that meets that definition for me.
post #1543 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The baby drama was almost it for me. With that settled ol' Tommy boy can settle in to be a good dad except for chasing the purp and then realizing it could be a setup. Good thing all was normal when he got back to the apt. If little Agnes was gone... oh crap there goes the season. Dembe is walking a fine line. Would not want to be him. My big reason for sticking with this show is how and what circumstances will Mr Kaplan make her appearance.
post #1544 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I checked out at the beginning of this season. I'm about done with 22 episode broadcast network shows anyway. Not enough time to make that commitment unless it's a really great show. I can't think of anything on broadcast that meets that definition for me.
A large, good cast with ongoing subplots can make the difference, especially with good guest appearances. That's what's kept me in Gotham, the only new one in the last 3 seasons I've stayed with.
archiguy likes this.

CC

post #1545 of 1593 Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3486 Post(s)
Liked: 3452
Quote:
A large, good cast with ongoing subplots can make the difference, especially with good guest appearances. That's what's kept me in Gotham, the only new one in the last 3 seasons I've stayed with.
Same here. I checked out of 'Flash' & 'Arrow' this season and haven't regretted it for a moment. I still like SHIELD & 'Gotham' for precisely the reasons you mention. And that's it for the superhero genre. Better stuff out there, and not enough time to watch it all.
post #1546 of 1593 Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 480
For 20+ episode seasons, I'm still with Blacklist, Gotham and SHIELD, but Blacklist has dropped from a "watch at my first opportunity" to a "watch when there's nothing else on my DVR or while eating a meal." I have zero interest in anything going on in Tom and Liz's lives. And as far as other subplots go, not much is going on in the lives of the other FBI agents. Not even so much as an awkward look between Samara and Amir this week. I don't know how much longer Red and his dealings can hold my interest.
jamieva likes this.
post #1547 of 1593 Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My interest in this show is starting to wane too. It's not off my list but falling down it.

I was hoping to see 'Mr. Kaplan' make a comeback by now. She must have a lot of dirt on Red and might not be too happy with the fact that he 'killed' her. She could be a serious threat to him if they decide to go that route with her. They made some references to her in the last episode so maybe they're priming the pump. Even Dembe is starting to show cracks in his loyalty over what Red did to her.
post #1548 of 1593 Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the show is getting a bit stale. and last i heard Tom will be part of the spin off so not sure how that is going to work out......
post #1549 of 1593 Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am I the only one that found the episode that Liz went undercover into the all women's group completely unbelievable. They just took one of the most famous criminals in US history, who shot the attorney general and was pardoned by the president, and nobody is going to recognize her if she goes undercover?
John dhein likes this.
post #1550 of 1593 Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Yes, this show does have some insanely ridiculous scenarios. I enjoy it for Spader, the rest of it is, meh.
gwsat likes this.
post #1551 of 1593 Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It cannot get any more ridiculous than the FBI putting someone under cover that just shot the Attorney general and got a presidential pardon for it. Right...nobody would recognize her. I still watch but I only pay attention to the Spader scenes and multi task during the bad guy of the week stuff.
post #1552 of 1593 Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I'm glad I didn't think of that at the time. I actually thought with that undercover episode, the show was getting better by putting Liz out in the field instead of having her either home with baby or locked up as a kidnapped victim somewhere. It was a fun episode.

I found the more recent episode more unbelievable--that the woman with meningitis hands and her boyfriend, who both seemed like decent people, would go around killing people for money like a couple of serial killers. There are a lot of other ways anyone with half a brain could rob a pawn shop or an armored car with only two guards. I know with the one massage kill, she was coerced into doing it. But the others were all cold-blooded first-degree murders--and in the case of the guards, totally innocent people; it just didn't fit their character and the show's attempt to make them appear sympathetic.
post #1553 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Redemption

Did anyone watch the spinoff "Redemption"? My opinion (FWIW) is that it was too "slick" of a show. You had your standard computer "geek" that can access/do anything on a computer. Tom is the "muscle". And Famke Janssen is the "brains". I felt that any tight situation would be easily resolved. The show just seemed too predictable. And, for the storyline--is Tom's wife ("Elizabeth"/Megan Boone) going to be left behind while Tom goes out on these adventures? What happened to his happiness of being married and being with his baby? Is this just a memory now?

I guess I'm trying to say that I was quite disappointed in this first episode. I'll watch a few more to make a decision.

If others want to comment about the show, perhaps a new thread should be started for it to separate it from "Blacklist".

BTW-has Famke had a LOT of facial changes? She looks a lot different than she did on the "X-Men" movies.

Last edited by Vidop; 02-25-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #1554 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
Did anyone watch the spinoff "Redemption"? My opinion (FWIW) is that it was too "slick" of a show. You had your standard computer "geek" that can access/do anything on a computer. Tom is the "muscle". And Famke Janssen is the "brains". I felt that any tight situation would be easily resolved. The show just seemed too predictable. And, for the storyline--is Tom's wife ("Elizabeth"/Megan Boone) going to be left behind while Tom goes out on these adventures? What happened to his happiness of being married and being with his baby? Is this just a memory now?

I guess I'm trying to say that I was quite disappointed in this first episode. I'll watch a few more to make a decision.

If others want to comment about the show, perhaps a new thread should be started for it to separate it from "Blacklist".
Was the pilot a crossover episode or can I go ahead and delete it without missing anything?

CC

post #1555 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Was the pilot a crossover episode or can I go ahead and delete it without missing anything?
It was somewhat of a crossover in that "Elizabeth" and the baby were in the top part of the show. Otherwise, it was all a new story. I can't speak as to whether you should skip the show. View it to make your own decision.
post #1556 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
You won't miss a thing, unless you like Tom, baby & Liz. Hopefully this means the baby & Tom are gone from Blacklist and things can try to be salvaged... though it won't surprise me if it's too late.
post #1557 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
It was somewhat of a crossover in that "Elizabeth" and the baby were in the top part of the show. Otherwise, it was all a new story. I can't speak as to whether you should skip the show. View it to make your own decision.
I'm not interested in the spinoff except possible crossovers that have a bearing on Blacklist episodes...

CC

post #1558 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 900
I'm thinking about making it a one and done. I was so disappointed to see Matias Solomon again. He was so despicable previously in The Blacklist. For me the change from wearing a black hat to a white hat doesn't compute. As for Famke Janssen, I've liked her since first noticing her in Nip/Tuck.
post #1559 of 1593 Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can it really be?

Dembe???
post #1560 of 1593 Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hask View Post
Dembe???
I feel like Mr Kaplan is involved somehow too...
Distorted and gwsat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page