baseball in HD comments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Years ago when I heard baseball was going to be shown in HD , I was thrilled. It would be like I was in the stadium watching. Well it has not turned out that way. It is a much worse broadcast in terms of showing the action. Yes,We can see the sweat of the players,the color of their eyes. But what about that thing called the baseball. Examples; the flight of the ball on homeruns,sometimes we never see it go over the fence or just the last 10 feet. On long fly balls to the outfield we do not see the fielder running with him and the ball in sight so that we can estimate if he can catch it. The closeups do not let us see the whole field on a relay play from the outfield with the ball coming in and the runners rounding the bases. Sometimes we do not even see them cross the plate. Because the camera shot behind the pitcher is almost always used , forget about seeing a hard line drive to an infielder. I think the game was better televised years ago from an action point of view. So to the directors some suggestions; Pull back on your cameras,let the 16x9 work for you. Use the camera up higher behind the plate to show hard hit balls instantly . Show fly balls in flight as much as possible. HD should be able too make viewers see the action of the game like we are there. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree. I miss the view from behind and above home plate, where I like to be at the park. It is a lot easier to follow the ball from there. Nowadays directors seem only interested in balls and strikes, hence the behind the pitcher view you get all the time.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
When it comes to watching sports in HD, football is king. Baseball on the other hand is easier to watch in person. Same for NBA/NHL games. Boxing/WWE/UFC is simple. Don't forget Olympics are great to watch because of the scenery footage before each day on nbc. Nascar and auto racing is great in hd. Cycling is good.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I agree,hockey is better in person.
risk235 likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
How about a skycam, like they use in football? I'm not advocating for it at this point, but I would like to see how such a camera might work, it could really provide some very interesting shots. Obviously there is the issue of obstructing the view of the players and/or interfering with the flight of the ball, I would still like to see it experimented with.

I absolutely agree that the textbook shots/angle in baseball broadcasts nowadays really need to get a bit more creative
post #6 of 14 Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Skycam is an interesting thought ,I think it would show the ball more. Anything to show the action more.Imagine a football game on tv when a pass is thrown and you only see the last 2 feet of it. I feel there must be a better way to show baseball on tv .A start would be to pull back the camera shots.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

How about a skycam, like they use in football? I'm not advocating for it at this point, but I would like to see how such a camera might work, it could really provide some very interesting shots. Obviously there is the issue of obstructing the view of the players and/or interfering with the flight of the ball, I would still like to see it experimented with.
Well, it certainly would have to work pretty hard to be able to interfere more than the crap hanging from the ceiling of the Kingdome....
post #8 of 14 Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, it certainly would have to work pretty hard to be able to interfere more than the crap hanging from the ceiling of the Kingdome....
Well, the cabling could come loose like it did at a NASCAR race recently.biggrin.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Well, the cabling could come loose like it did at a NASCAR race recently.biggrin.gif
I would count that as working pretty hard....

After all, how many times has a skycam actually affected the action on the field of play? I'll bet it's less often than fans, objects in the venue (chairs, speakers, field markers, etc.), refs or the video/photo crews on the ground around the field of play. Heck, even the marching band has interupted play.....

Heck, I'll bet birds have stolen more golf balls than skycams have ever gotten in the way of.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 10
Do any of you remember the HDNet baseball broadcasts from the early-2000s? IMO that was still some of the most impressive sports footage I have seen, especially of baseball. They definitely made use of 16x9 and pulled back to let us see more of the field, and it was easier to follow the action. Sadly the techniques pioneered in those early days have been lost in the interest of protecting the SD viewer.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great call Heels, full band-width 1080i. After seeing it at a Sports-bar and getting some understanding of it I took the plunge. HD Net Sports we're the quality standard. I still haven't seen NHL Hockey look as good as Cuban's Network presented it. It ALWAYS popped. The good old days...
post #12 of 14 Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You mean Tropicana Field. The Kingdome was demolished in 2000.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

HD NET was fantastic in showing sports action.I remember that they showed some college football ,and you could actually see the pass patterns the wide recievers were running . Baseball was also done very well. I think Mark Cuban made sure there was wery little compression on his signal ,so the picture quality was ouystanding. Todays HD viewers would be amazed.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Don't forget the addition of slo mo 4k cameras in recent years.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page